lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [Fixed] Get KOTOR 1/2 Working on Vista
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 AM   #41
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Intel GPUs are not supported. For every person who reports success in getting these two games to run on Intel integrated graphics, we get someone else for whom it is not possible, so it will either work or it won't.

I have no freaking idea what kind of settings your graphics driver has, but have you played around with them at all? There was a fix for older Intel GPUs, but it's for very old chipsets and very likely outdated.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #42
mglady3
Lurker

I'll try playing around the setting when I have a bit more time. Thanks for all of your help.

Although if anyone here uses an intel graphics card and got the game to run, I'd be curious to learn what graphics settings they use.
mglady3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #43
Q
The one who knocks

That flipping policy setting can be changed to "blit" by clicking on "3D Settings" in the main Intel driver settings menu. The option should be there. Sorry that I didn't post this earlier, but I only got KotOR 2 installed on my cheap laptop which has an Intel GPU last night. Hopefully you'll see this and be able to get it to work like I did.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 09-21-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #44
bemtoto
Rookie

KOTOR Issues 1 & 2

I've done the fixes people have mentioned and am still experiencing some issues with both games.

I have done the install with both KOTOR and KOTOR2 as admin, did the "Run as admin" and "compatibility with XP SP2" options for both, and replaced the mss32.dll file in both directories.

The problem I am experiencing on both games seems to be the same issue however, I get into the games, I can play the games up until there is an explosion. In KOTOR I was doing the tutorial bit still before reaching the escape pod, where it crashed was the room with the robot you can reprogram and the console you can use to cause the explosion. I caused the explosion which caused my game to crash.

In KOTOR2 its pretty much the same issue, I play through for a couple hours on Peragus and when I get to the part where I have Kreia and Atton with me and we fight the assassination druid after his whole speech about how he organized the killing of the stations inhabitants. I defeat him, he does his self-destruct countdown and blows up, soon as he blows up game crashes.

Anyone else having this issue or might know how to fix it?

Running Windows Vista SP2 64-bit Quad-Core Processor @ 2.20Ghz & 4GB Ram w/ Dual ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics Cards in Xfire

Edit. I seem to have found a quick fix for it, I had to turn screen resolution down to 800x600, turn shadows off, turn off anti-aliasing and anistropic and set texture quality to "low" and turn off frame buffer effects.... going to have to toy around with this later so I can find stable settings that I can play on that will look nice and still not crash.... I was running at 1600x1200 High Textures "8 Sample AA" and "Antistrophy 8x" though it could got o 16x (game said to run 8x for best)

Edit 2. Ok still having the issue, have tested with all the different settings, been running at 800x600 with both samplings and the frame buffer effects turned off as well as shadows, it doesnt crash as often but I am still experiencing crashing due to explosions. My latest was on the surface of Telos when you run into the woman with the 2 droids and the mines in front of them all, she through a grenade and crashed the game for me

Last edited by bemtoto; 10-10-2009 at 06:29 PM.
bemtoto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #45
Q
The one who knocks

1) Have you done the Dantooine lag fix as instructed in post #2?

2) Are you setting CPU affinity every time you launch the game as instructed in post #2?

3) In my experience, both games run better on a single GPU.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 10-13-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #46
bemtoto
Rookie

I have done the Dantooine lag fix where you add that line into the ini files, have done everything that people listed as issues that i could do.

When I tried to follow the steps outlined for the setting multiple core affinity going through the task manager and administrator rights it doesnt let me change that option.

I have done more research/testing into this problem as well it really seems to be the "Frame Buffer Effects" option which kinda sucks in KOTOR2 since all the stealth things are visable with a really ugly shield looking graphic around them when i turn that off
Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 AM   #47
Q
The one who knocks

Are you using an admin's account to run the game? You should. Then in the "Processes" tab in the Task Manager, click on "Show processes from all users". You should then be able to set affinity.

-Toker
Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #48
bemtoto
Rookie

Yes I am using an admin account and setting affinity didnt work prior to my using the "Show all Processes" which is odd because the list didnt change... it worked after but still no effect on the crash issue with explosions when the frame buffer effects is enabled, there a fix available for this frame buffer problem other than just disabling that?

I would like to be able to play the game with it turned on as when the "Frame Buffer Effects" is disabled as i mentioned in the last post, anything that uses Stealth can be seen without the camo effect. It will be the normal graphic for the model + a shield effect around them with what looks to be a electrical current(best i can describe it, i guess the current is what you'd normally see when something is destealthed from stealth but is seen all the time running like this)

Edit. I was playing around with a few player made mods on the site here, visual improvements and such and seem to have fixed my issue somehow... i tested it alot to make sure... used about 40 grenades of all types to see if i could crash myself (before 1 ion grenade was enough to do it) and cant seem to reproduce the issue. Thank you for attempting to help solve this issue, guess just needed some override files

Last edited by bemtoto; 10-15-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #49
ebisuezo
Lurker

quick fix

while i am still looking for a permanent fix, i have found a temporary solution. my game will run fine but crashes after about 5 minutes unless i save every three minutes(actually more like before and after every cut-scene). this gets me past the endar spire where i can play for about 2 hours then it crashes again. the only fixes that i have tried are running the game in compatibility for xp2, as administrator, and changing the affinity(it told me i couldn't change it), and jacking up the graphics settings to as high as i could get it.
ebisuezo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #50
Oasis1218
Lurker

I'm having problems with Kotor 1 being closed before it can be launched by Data Execution Prevention. I've made it so it'll let my launcher be a exception but it'll still close despite this, I'm on a Vista but I'm running it was a XP service pack 2 and as a admin but nothing's working.
Oasis1218 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #51
Q
The one who knocks

Did you install the game according to the instructions in the first two posts of this thread?

-Toker
Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #52
Oasis1218
Lurker

Yea I installed the game as an admin and with XP service pack 2 and made the launcher the same way but DEP is closing it down.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #53
Q
The one who knocks

Did you replace the mss32.dll file with the one that's been fixed for Vista?

-Toker
Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #54
Oasis1218
Lurker

I saw that was only for TSL? So I hadn't bothered, will try it now though.

Neither links are working anymore
Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #55
Q
The one who knocks

Try this one. I keep meaning to tell Astro about that dead link, but I keep forgetting to.

You're going to need the SecuROM update in the second post as well.

-Toker
Old 11-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #56
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Silly people, I went back to XP. Vista is such a pain in the a$$ with a lot of games. I did get Vista to work w/advice from here.....so thanks. But replaced my OS, so no longer an issue.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #57
ebisuezo
Lurker

i just recently got swkotor2. it runs fine. i implemented the fixes: runs as administrator and compatibility for xp sp2 the required number of times. i fixed mss32 and manually patched. as i said it runs fine and haven't had the game crash yet, but after i finish fighting an enemy, i can't move for some time unless another enemy is nearby or a container.
ebisuezo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #58
KOTOR_Hopeful
Lurker

KOTOR

I have Vista, 32. I have tried running KOTOR1 in compatibility mode with everything and done the "admin" thing.

I'm at my wit's end honestly. Hope you can help!

With any of those it always says something about an installation support file can't be installed, 'catastrophic failure,' when I try to run Setup.

It's as if Bill Gates doesn't want me to be playing it...

Last edited by KOTOR_Hopeful; 12-14-2009 at 03:44 AM.
KOTOR_Hopeful is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #59
ctrlaltdelctrlaltdel
Lurker

Unhappy more of the same

I have followed the initial post's directions exactly on three different computers with the same result. The game never starts, with no error message. It just does not start. I know it is doing something. When I open a web browser after trying to start the game, it sizes the page to 800x600 with white pixels filling the rest. Although, all three computers do have Nvidia video chipsets. One was a laptop with vista & separate video memory. One was a desktop running XP SP2 with a stand-alone Geforce 67xx (256MB) card. One was a desktop with an integrated shared memory video card running a fresh copy (but updated) copy of Vista SP2 (2GB system memory).

Should I install a copy of Win XP (without any service packs, or win98) on one of the desktops in a secondary partition, or is this mainly an Nvidia compatibility issue? Or hell, maybe I should just buy buy an old Xbox. However, I do prefer the keyboard & mouse to the controller. Also, I don't need any more clutter.

BTW, I was trying to run KOTOR 1.

With a straight install I got a pop-up error message with garbled ASCII characters on each of the three systems.

I doubt any solutions are available, but I would appreciate any comments.

Also, the only single core system I tried was the desktop with the shared memory video Nvidia chipset (Athlon 64 2.2 GHZ). I could install a stand alone ATI AGP card on this system and then an older operating system... But I'm wondering if it is even worth the time.

Last edited by ctrlaltdelctrlaltdel; 01-30-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: additional info
ctrlaltdelctrlaltdel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #60
Q
The one who knocks

For Vista you'll need to uninstall the game and start over following the large-print directions at the top of the second post.

I have no idea why you're having trouble with XP, though, and these games have traditionally run better with nVidia video cards.

-Toker
Old 01-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #61
ctrlaltdelctrlaltdel
Lurker

and again and again

yeah, been there, done that. I reinstalled following the directions from post 1 and 2 trying both the original and modified exe files on all three systems... Yeah, nothing works for me. I get mainly... nothing, the game will just not start. I get the occasional garbled text. The only error message I get is on the XP system with the modified exe using physical discs. Then I get a "cannot be authenticated" error. Yes, I do have the old direct x installed.

They must not really want anyone to actually play this game... that is the only reasonable conclusion that I can come to... The only alternative would be that they are very very very very very inept. I will let the company choose which option they would prefer, or offer a third option if they wish.

Last edited by ctrlaltdelctrlaltdel; 01-31-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #62
ctrlaltdelctrlaltdel
Lurker

Smile ... works.

Well, I got a little frustrated for awhile there. I uninstalled everything and did the whole process all over again... and it works just fine now. I'm not sure why it did not the first time. The vista system works fine. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I have played any games on that xp system since the last time it had a reinstall of windows, so there may have been some unrelated problem with that system as well. I appreciate the info.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #63
Q
The one who knocks

Glad to hear it.

Regarding XP, you shouldn't need the new swkotor.exe from SecuROM to run the game. The original should work fine. Vista isn't compatible with the earlier versions of SecuROM that shipped with these games, but XP is.

-Toker
Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #64
Starkilla
Lurker

Hello. First time poster on these forums, Long time Star Wars Gamer and I've been having issues getting KOTOR 2 running. It crashes at the beginning after the Ebon Hawk is drifting through space. I've uninstalled it again but before I did I replaced the .dll and modded the .ini files which changed the screen display but nothing else, sadly. What do I need to do exactly (I'm running Windows 7 64 bit). Here's a pic of my complete specs below:

Republic Commando runs like a dream and Jedi Academy lagged only on Bakura (froze on Korriban only once though) and both multiplayer modes are beauts to run. I just don't know why KOTOR & 2 have to be this way
Starkilla is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #65
Q
The one who knocks

Did you read the second post? Reinstall the game according to the large-print instructions, do everything that it tells you to and it should run fine.

-Toker
Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #66
Starkilla
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
Did you read the second post? Reinstall the game according to the large-print instructions, do everything that it tells you to and it should run fine.
I hope for your sake you're right (especially since I have an Intel, after all :P).

BTW where do I download the patches?

Also, I couldn't set the affinity the last 2 times due to it preventing me.

Edit: So, where do I get the patches?

Now I was able to access set affinity but even if I leave one CPU active, it STILL does not make a difference.

Last edited by RedHawke; 02-14-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #67
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkilla View Post
So, where do I get the patches?
You could try Googling them.

EDIT: Links for both are now in Post #2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkilla
Now I was able to access set affinity but even if I leave one CPU active, it STILL does not make a difference.
We'll sort this out once you've patched the game. I'd suggest uninstalling and starting over, this time doing everything that the second post tells you to do, in the order that it tells you to do them.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 02-11-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #68
Starkilla
Lurker

Once more, and that is it.

Edit: I have done everything you said to do and it still crashes!

Also, some files I couldn't simply extract and I had to go inside the compressed folders to get the files and drag them over to the KOTOR 2 folder (such as the SecuROM and the modifying of the code for prevention of lag while on Dantooine) while saying yes to replace the originals.

Last edited by RedHawke; 02-14-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #69
ctrlaltdelctrlaltdel
Lurker

blaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Well, I have played to about 95 hours so far. It has crashed about 10 times... which is only once per 10 hours. That should be better than average, for any windows game. It's certaintly better than windows 95, when I had an adverge of less than less than one hour from starting a game to having it crash. I am on unknown worlds and cannot leave. I have repaired the warp drive, but cannot leave. I guess I could wonder around for hours trying to figure it out, but honestly, there are no places that I have not gone and no areas that I have not explored. Honestly 9 or 10 crashes occured while trying to save a game. I reloaded to find unloadable save games. That cost me about 4 hours of having to go back and redo quests.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:44 AM   #70
enigma8817
Lurker

Post Sweet.

Thank You guys so much for making this thread and posting this fix. Ive been wanting to play KoTOR 2 for the longest time on my Vista OS. It didn't take me long and I followed each step carefully and the game worked with audio finally.
Btw, I just wanted to know if adding mods after doing all the steps would affect the game in any way besides what the mods were made for?

Thanks Again
enigma8817 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #71
Q
The one who knocks

I've used many mods while playing the game on Vista. I made sure that I ran the installer (TSLpatcher) in XP SP2 compatibility mode as an administrator and they all worked fine.

-Toker
Old 03-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #72
friedmetroid
Lurker

Registered here to let you guys know, the oriignal link for mss32.dll is broken, the file is unavailable. If anyone could re-upload that would be great, I spent an entire night trying to get KOTOR working without the file, to no avail. :|
friedmetroid is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #73
Q
The one who knocks

The updated link is in the second post, along with the proper order of installation and fixes.

-Toker
Old 03-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #74
friedmetroid
Lurker

Right, sorry, couldn't see it because the link was the same color as the text <_<

e: Still no luck though, I'm trying to get my "Best of PC" Kotor 1 to run on my 64 bit multicore Windows 7 PC, and absolutely nothing gets it to start. At worst, I click the .exe, the process appears for a few seconds, then disappears. At best, I can get it to tell me I have 'wrong disc inserted'.

Last edited by friedmetroid; 03-07-2010 at 09:03 PM.
friedmetroid is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #75
Q
The one who knocks

OK, that's most likely a SecuROM (or whatever copy protection Best of PC uses) problem. The .exe that the link is provided for is for the stand-alone version of KotOR, not the "Best of PC". You're going to have to contact SecuROM about it. The link to their site is in the second post.

-Toker
Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #76
danjo33
Lurker

hey guys, i appreciate everything done to try and get KOTOR 1/2 to work on vista. sadly, i have done everything listed many times and no luck.
KOTOR 1 runs just fine, but 2 crashes after I make my character. Meh.
anyway, i've given up on that on vista, do you think Dual-Booting XP would solve the problem?
I've had the urge to play those games, and while I do have KOTOR 1 working, i've played that way too many times and only want KOTOR 2 at the moment.
Thanks.
danjo33 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #77
JeDiSpaRtaN300
Rookie

file front wont let me get the file! can someone get a different link or post one that works? thnx

Edit: found it here

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef...ista_Fix;85439

Edit 2: k, ive followed all instructions but it still says problem running k2. i downloaded m23dll $I-Iit

but i still cant play! pls help!

Last edited by RedHawke; 06-28-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Combined needless TP...
JeDiSpaRtaN300 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #78
Q
The one who knocks

Did you follow all of the instructions in the second post?

-Toker
Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #79
ferndavant
Lurker

Okay, I've followed all of the instructions in the bold post TWICE. Here's what happens: I get in, I create a character, I watch the opening movie (this all goes off without a hitch), then the movie ends, I see the mouse cursor, and I hear a droid squealing. Then, Boom!, Kotor2 has stopped working. I've turned all the graphical options to their lowest settings, and turned the anisotrophic doohicky both off and on.

Is this cause I have an Intel Graphics Chip? I've got it changed to blit. Is there ANY way I could get KOTOR2 running on here? Kotor 1 ran fine. It crashed every now and then and I had to turn off the grass option, but otherwise it worked great.

ETA: I didn't even configure my Vista PC to run Kotor 1 and I didn't have any significant problems other than the dantooine lag problem which, as I said, I mainly solved by turning off grass.
ferndavant is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #80
Q
The one who knocks

Are you setting CPU affinity every time you launch the game? Try posting your specs and we'll go from there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
Post your system specs
Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

-Toker
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > [Fixed] Get KOTOR 1/2 Working on Vista