lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: EMI PS2 -> Windows
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Gannet
Rookie

EMI PS2 -> Windows

The PS2 version of EMI supposedly has a number of improvements over the Windows version. What I'd like to do is put these improvements back into the Windows version. I haven't had much success so far but here's what I've learnt...

Dialog:
• The PS2 version shows some extra lines of dialog between Guybrush and the catapult operator. There may be extra dialog elsewhere too, though I'm not sure.
• The extra dialog actually does exist in the Windows data but is unavailable in game due to a small error/oversight with regards to the number of lines of dialog displayed at any one time.
• It can be fixed by inserting the "_dialog.lua" script from the PS2 data into the Windows data, but this has a critical side-effect of the game getting stuck whenever you exit a conversation. Properly fixing it would involve editing and recompiling the script.
• The game uses a custom version of lua 3.1 with a modified bytecode. This means that while I can use luadump to decompile and then edit the script, the game won't accept it if I recompile with normal luac 3.1.

Models:
• The PS2 version supposedly has "9 times as many polys as the PC version"*.
• The format of the PS2 .meshb files is almost identical to the Windows ones. Once converted they can be put into the Windows data and the game will load them correctly.
• The actual difference observed in-game is negligible. Only a handful of meshes actually have (slightly) higher vertex counts, and none appear any better than the Windows ones.
• The PS2 version appears to render models more smoothly than the Windows version, giving the illusion of more polygons (not something that could be changed in the Windows version).

Video:
• The PS2 version has 640x448 mpeg-2 video with 48kHz uncompressed audio, while the Windows version has 640x480 bink video with 22kHz bink audio. The PS2 video suffers from less compression artifacts and the audio is noticeably better.
• With a few tools the PS2 video can be converted to the Windows format with reasonable success. The difference really isn't that great though, especially after recompression.
• If you really want the best quality you're better off just extracting the PS2 video and watching it in a separate player.

Sound:
• The PS2 version supposedly has higher quality sound than the Windows version due to "files that weren't as heavily compressed"*.
• Both the PS2 and Windows voices are 16.5kHz mono. The PS2 files are smaller than the Windows ones though, which implies heavier compression.
• Both the PS2 and Windows sound effects are (almost all) 22kHz mono. The PS2 files are compressed though while the Windows ones are not.
• The PS2 music is 24kHz while the Windows music is 44kHz.
• I can find no basis to the claim above. Perhaps she was thinking of the video when she said that.

Misc:
• The PS2 version includes a new easter egg mini-game called Monkey Invaders, and keeps track of moves you learn for Monkey Kombat so you can easily review them. This will likely all be script-based with lua so could in theory be added to the Windows version but as with the dialog mentioned above, an appropriate lua compiler would be needed to do this.
• The PS2 version uses a 3D model for the giant monkey head which animates open/closed, instead of being pre-rendered as part of the background image and using videos to open/close. This was because "NTSC does some interesting things to certain colors"*. On a PC I think the pre-rendered stuff is better.

Any help or more information regarding any of this would be much appreciated

* Shara Miller Interview, The SCUMM Bar

Last edited by Gannet; 03-31-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Gannet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > EMI PS2 -> Windows