lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dark Forces on WinXP and newer Operating Systems
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
The_One
The Dude Abides

Dark Forces on WinXP and newer Operating Systems

Since this is always coming up, I think it's high time we had a sticky containing all the information anyone would need to get Dark Forces running on the latest Operating Systems. There is a common myth among the DF community that the game won't run on anything later than Windows 98. This is not true. There are tonnes of people out there who have it running, me included. Read on if you are having trouble...

Getting Started:

1. Try a regular install from the DF CD.

2. Doesn't work? OK, try this:

http://www.df-21.net/articles/install.html

This is a very useful guide, and most people who follow it can get it working fine on their systems. I hear of very few people who ever continue to have problems after using that guide.

3. Still doesn't work? Try this:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

This is a DOS Emulator. I haven't tried it personally, but I hear good things about it. Give it a shot!

Sound Problems

Sound problems are common when running Dark Forces on newer Operating Systems. No music is one of the most common, or simply no sound at all.

Sound emulation is very much the way forward, and almost always works. VDM Sound is the one most people recommend, and works great for me. Here is the link:

http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

Further Problems

Head here:

http://forums.df-21.net/

DF-21 is pretty much the last remaining (very active) DF community on the internet. Try searching their forums for information, or failing that, post there what your problem is - they will hopefully have the expertise to help you.

I hope this guide helps anyone with problems, usually some combination of the above links will work for you Also, feel free to post any links/info you have on this subject, and I'll be sure to include them in this thread.

Happy fragging!

Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2003, 05:38 PM   #2
Lando_C
Lurker

ok....i got dark forces working but now i dont have sound and i open it with vdmn or whatever emulator thing but i still dont get sound, and all the .gob files in the DARK folder are set to open with winamp for some reason, i think that may be the problem, so what should the open with...and any other suggestions to get one of my favorite games working will be gladly accepted.
Lando_C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
The_One
The Dude Abides

What they are set to open with shouldn't make any difference to how Dark Forces itself reads them.

Make sure you set your sound up in "imuse" - try selecting SoundBlaster Pro if you can't find anything that resembles your card. Then when you run Dark Forces, I believe you have to right click on it and choose "Run with VDM Sound" or something similar.

Gimme a shout if you still have problems.

Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2004, 01:07 AM   #4
jtloper
Lurker

Thumbs up

To Lando:
I'd like to recomend DOSbox for running DF. It emulates a wide verity of sound systems. I played talay about an hour ago for the first time in 10 years. Nice. The program takes some config work but it works.
jtloper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2004, 01:52 AM   #5
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Smile

When I had trouble getting Dark Forces to work on my pc, I went to Yoda's Helpdesk on LucasArts.com in the trouble shooting pages.

And it worked!

Previously I could get the music to work but not the sound effects (or vice versa) but then it worked for good.

Hey, whatever works!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2004, 12:19 AM   #6
Death_Jedi

hey guys i gotta problem
im using the real df cd and im on xp
when ever i open it and its got install and all that it just quits out
im not very computer smart so i didnt really understand thoes guides, can any1 help me?

EDIT

i kinda figured it out but wat cd do u copy to c:/dark

Last edited by Death_Jedi; 09-12-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Death_Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
MikeGunther1969
Rookie

Location: 5 Miles north of the Preppie-Snobbotorium called Annapolis, MD
I am currently using VDM, but I am wondering if anyone can tell me the comparison between VDM and DosBox...which emulator runs better?

VDM does not fully support a CH Flightstick Pro, nor does it support Add-on levels. Any changes made from the DF-21 instructions on VDM result in a rainbow graphic effect.

Please.........hookabrothaup!!!

"Every time my fingers touch brain, I'm the guns of the navarone...I'm superfly TNT..."

- Jules Winfield , Pulp Fiction
MikeGunther1969 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2004, 01:19 PM   #8
Obi_Kwiet

You can't even buy it anymore. :/
Obi_Kwiet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
Franchise
Rookie

If I may ask what are WingXP?

Darth Maul: At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.
Franchise is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2005, 06:00 AM   #10
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
If I may ask what are WingXP?
It is WinXP, which is Windows XP.

Mike

Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #11
death knigth
Rookie

WingXP is WXP?

Death
death knigth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by death knigth
WingXP is WXP?
I could find nothing else similar in this thread that he might have been referring to ... I know there was the old 'WinG' graphics <ahem> standard from Microsoft, but not much else comes to mind ...

Mike

Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:30 AM   #13
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Well, in the spirit of having everything available cross-platform, I just re-installed Dark Forces on my ultra-portable Dell (no internal CD). I twiddled around for a while and managed to get it working without CD, and get the sound running with VDMSound.

First time running Dark Forces on a PC in ~9 years! Boy the Mac version is much better looking! That 2x resolution and enhanced sound make a difference ...

Oh well, it is quite playable in a pinch, and since this is the machine I have JK & MotS on ...

Mike

Old 04-28-2005, 08:57 PM   #14
bootleg42
Rookie

Well I am a noob at using computers and I would love to play Dark Forces II again but when I try the dosbox emulator it tells me that "This program cannot be run in dos mode" Now what do I do???? I don't understand that first guide really well. I also heard of patches that allow you to play older Star War games on newer OS systems. Is that true????

Star Wars > Star Trek

You do the math
bootleg42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #15
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Dark Forces *II* is Jedi Knight, which is meant to run on Win95 or later ... but to execute it, you need to run jk.exe from the game directory.

Mike

Old 04-29-2005, 02:05 AM   #16
bootleg42
Rookie

I have XP and the game does not work on it. Dark Forces II does not work at all. I already tried to run the setup but the problem is that it only runs on Windows 98, not XP.

I then tried another old Star Wars PC game (Shadows of the Empire) and it gave gave me the same problems. But when I install a newer game like Republic Commando, it installs easily.

When I try to run the old games, a message pops out saying:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Then two options come out saying "Close" and "Ignore".

When I click ignore, nothing happens and the program never starts. When I click close, everything closes.

Star Wars > Star Trek

You do the math
Old 04-29-2005, 02:10 AM   #17
bootleg42
Rookie

Ok wait, I see what you mean, I just clicked on jk.exe and now I see a different message:

The screen goes black and a message now pops up saying:

"ERR_CANNOT_LOAD_FILE_(then a bunch of squares show)t"

Now what???

Star Wars > Star Trek

You do the math
Old 05-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #18
Katarn07
Joxer the Mighty

The link to that sound emulation no longer works. Is there a place for another? I'm in a real mood to play DF and haven't gotten the chance ever since I got this new PC almost a year ago.

EDIT- Found it and tried right clicking and hitting run with VDMS or whatever and it told me access was denies. Now what? I'll try the DOSBox thing I guess....

EDIT 2 - DOSBox runs the sound like a dream, but it's really choppy gameplay, even with the graphics reduced in detail (wow, and I thought it looked bad with the detail maxed out )

Any other ideas anyone?

Last edited by Katarn07; 05-03-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Katarn07 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2005, 05:13 PM   #19
INFERNOJHC

Lol, I can even run it on a windows 2003 server.
INFERNOJHC is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #20
SilentDude56k
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootleg42
I have XP and the game does not work on it. Dark Forces II does not work at all. I already tried to run the setup but the problem is that it only runs on Windows 98, not XP.

I then tried another old Star Wars PC game (Shadows of the Empire) and it gave gave me the same problems. But when I install a newer game like Republic Commando, it installs easily.

When I try to run the old games, a message pops out saying:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Then two options come out saying "Close" and "Ignore".

When I click ignore, nothing happens and the program never starts. When I click close, everything closes.

Well, I have Windows XP and as long as its not a DOS game it works fine. The reason you need an emulator like VDM Sound is because Windows XP doesnt have the full version of DOS, but older operating systems (Windows 95, Windows 98/SE) run it fine because they run on top of DOS, but Windows XP doesnt, and Microsoft apparently didnt expect anyone to try DOS games on Windows XP. Dark Forces II Jedi Knight works great on my computer, as all other games like SOTE, AS LONG AS ITS NOT A DOS GAME!! For those I use VDM Sound, which took me *hours* to configure to work with DOS games like Dark Forces, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom I & II.
SilentDude56k is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #21
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Does Windows 2k have DOS? Or is this a unique problem to XP?

There's no doubt it runs, it's just a question of how much frustration a person puts up with. The "Windows" version of Dark Forces is really just a Win95/98 launcher for the DOS program if I'm not mistaken.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #22
-BLaCKouT-
Clone Brutality

Waaaaaahhh!! Why won't DF work???

I popped a new HDD in my comp recently and went through a new install of WinXP. I'd backed up all the necessary stuff, including the contents of my C:\Dark\ folder so that I'd keep my settings and savegames etc.

Now, the annoying thing is that when I re-installed all of my apps and games, I tested Dark Forces and it worked fine! Since then I've updated Windows with Service Pack 1 and various 'hotfixes' etc and DF doesn't want to know now.

When I run either the version on the CD or the version on the HDD, and either the installer or dark.exe itself, Windows puts up a DOS window (with nothing actually 'in' it, just the heading "C:\dark\dark\DARK.EXE") and at the point where it usually switches to full screen and the game starts... it just disappears! Every effing time!

I've tried looking in the Task Manager's Applications and Processes tabs and it doesn't appear in there. So I'd gather the program's just terminating itself rather than hiding.

I think it's fairly safe to say that everyone in here loves DF so you can imagine how annoying this is. I can't be certain that Windows is at fault, but it's the only thing I can think of that's really changed system-wise. So:

Anyone else had this problem?
Would an upgrade to SP2 help do ya think?

I've tried DosBox in the past and found it to be so choppy it was unplayable. I've also tried the .bat method from DF-21.net but when it starts the program, the same thing happens; it just terminates.

Any help you could give me would be massively appreciated! The PS1 version's just not the same.

Cheers in advance!
B.

EDIT: Sorted http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...76#post1963376

Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus. ULCER are from Margate...

Last edited by -BLaCKouT-; 12-11-2005 at 04:02 PM.
-BLaCKouT- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #23
Monkey Mania

Dark Forces runs on DosBox .70 like a dream.

Have two mounts, one to the DF folder, one to the DF cd.
Make sure to run the setup in DosBox first(imuse.exe), use Sound Blaster and it's default settings, if you want better music, goto advanced and choose General Midi for the Music.

Basic Settings for Dosbox to run DF smoothly. Anything else is to to your taste.

-Environment
--Dos Memory - 63MB
--Cycles - 20000
--CPU Core - dynamic
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #24
darthyorktown
Rookie

I'll try it soon, if I can get around to it.

darthyorktown is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #25
Chewy1015
Rookie

Okay, my problem is mounting. What the hell is "mounting" in the first place? The directions on the DosBox and readme aren't really clear and I try to do what they say, but it never works. How the hell do I mount? Basically, I need to make a "D:" drive and a "C:" drive.

Under the burning sun/I take a look around/ Imagine if this all came down/I'm waiting for the day to come

He's a stranger to some and a vision to none/He can never get enough, get enough of the world/For a fortune he'd quit but it's hard to amend/How it ends and begins, on his face is a map of the world
Chewy1015 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #26
Monkey Mania

Mounting just tells dosbox where to find the files. If a game requires a CD, make a mount to where the cd is (for ex. drive F) and where the game is(for ex. C:/games/Dark)

If you are having trouble, you should use a frontend like Dfend. You don't have to type anything.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #27
darthyorktown
Rookie

i hate mounthing

darthyorktown is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #28
Gorgi

Maybe a dumb question..

I know how to change the cycles in dosbox, but how do i change the dos memory and the cpu core?

i don't want a signature, but i have one now
Gorgi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 AM   #29
Springgirl
Lurker

Can someone tell me how to turn down the cycles in DOSBox to under 200? Thanks.
Springgirl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #30
ryu91
Rookie

Has anyone tried getting Timidity to work for DosBox. I would like to know because I use Vista and it breaks midi support (except for ablib which sucks)
ryu91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #31
WillKatarn
Lurker

I play DF on PS1 which saves a lot of hassle. Yep I know it aint PC and people may prefer to use a mouse but I like it.
WillKatarn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #32
GUNNER
Forums Juggernaut

Current Game: Half-Life Episode 2
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Dang, I have never seen this thread. Don't know how I could of missed it though...

Looks like this weekend I'll be trying to get DF running again. It was my first SW game.

wish me luck..

King Stallion & Ex-Super Moderator <---forced retirement
Nuff said!
GUNNER is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #33
FArt vader
Lurker

Current Game: JKII, JKA
Wink u n00bs - DOSBOX TUTOR

U R all so dump n00bs (no offense)
On every os DosBox works. Use this. I give u a simle tutorial.
1. Download DOSBox (http://dosbox.com/download.php?main=1)
2.Install it
3. Create a Folder in C: named DOSGAMES (case sensitive)
4.open dosbox
5.write this: mount c C:\DOSGAMES
6.write this: mount d yourdriveletterletter:\ -t cdrom
7.now write D:
8.write install.exe
9.go to install
10.go to custom install
11.press enter
12.check : levels, textures, cutscenes, and sprites
13.press continue
14.look how it installs
15.press any key
16.press any key again
17.wait
18.press c
19.press enter
20.now choose sound blaster 16
21.at port select 220
22.at stereo reverse select 0
23.press detect
24.press any key
25.select quit
26.press y
27.select exit
28.select exit again
29.write dark.exe
30.play the game with no lagg and enjoy (note if u see that the game slows down just press ctrl+f12 or/and ctrl + f8 as times as it runs perfect)

This method works with all sw dos games that i tryed so far. BTW I USE VISTA. alt +enter to full screen

just give a thx
FArt vader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #34
axm61
Lurker

Current Game: Dark Forces
I used DOSBOX to install and play Dark Forces and it works perfectly fine. Now I'm enjoying this game from 1995 (!!!) with my kids who are 5 and 7. For those who don't know how to install it, read this thread and you'll get all the information you'll need to play Dark Forces on a PC (XP or Vista). I have the original Dark Forces CD, Dark Forces II and Jedi Outcast.
axm61 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Dark Forces > Dark Forces on WinXP and newer Operating Systems