lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Darth Revan's motive's revealed
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-12-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Darth Revan's motive's revealed

This may belong in the TOR forum, but since this is a pissing on of the very core of KotOR, i believe it belongs here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YXnNbRHrVo
(also viewable on the TOR Timeline)

That's it. Theyve completely sullied the character of Revan with this pathetic backstory. His unusual motives for turning to the dark side was one of the best illustrations of his unique character; now theyve just made him another stupid sith rebelling against their master. (and, in the process, once again completely ignoring TSL's existence)

I was losing interest in this game before, now i really doubt ill even bother with it.

At least theres the .15% chance that they'll pick up the series again and give us a proper sprpg sequel.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
He? My Revan was a gurl

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Not sure exactly how you arrive at sullied backstory. Little of it really deviated from the game. We already knew they "rebelled" vs their masters to end the Mandalorian threat. What was never specifically covered in the game was what exactly happened in the period between the end of the Mando Wars and the Jedi civil war. Seems that contact with the Star Forge and maps changed the motivation from betraying the Republic to their having visions of creating a force to rival their newer sith master. When Kreia speaks of a betrayer, she could apparently be talking about Revan as well as anyone else. He betrayed his Jedi masters to fight the Mandalorians, betrayed the Republic for the "true Sith" and then betrayed his new master for his own ambitions and finally his own forces in his "redemption".

But hell, even if you figure they ruined Revan, look what they did to Vader w/the PT. Still surprised?

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
True_Avery
Banned

It fits with what we knew in K1. TSL, in my opinion, was a game of poor character choices, and while enjoyable I never understood everyone's praise and love for its writing, story, characters, and so on. The only redeeming quality of the game was Kreia, and it was in her character to tell lies and twist the truth. Most of what we know of Revan's "backstory" was mostly supposition from a well known liar and manipulator.

The further away of TSL's characters and "backstory" the better. I liked Revan, but taking everything Kreia said to heart is not only silly, but actually makes Revan a far worse written character. He literally cannot lose if we're going by Kreia's story. TSL had good writing, but after a few years to reflect its pretty easy to see why Revan has grown to be such a tired, over rated character. The sad part is, Revan was stuck between two sad cliches. He was either the hero we all needed and had every plan thought out ahead of time and was one with the force and so on, or we have him repeating the same Sith fall told in every Sith story in Star Wars history.

My point is, Revan was not a unique character. There was nothing there to sully because he had already drowned in the slop made up of K1, TSL, and the comics. Nothing that could have been done would be right since you controlled him in K1, TSL made him out to be the god king savior of the galaxy forever superman, and the comics collectively spat on what was left after TSL.

*waits for reasons why I'm wrong and Avellone is right*

Last edited by True_Avery; 06-12-2010 at 04:22 AM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #5
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
Dispite the fact that I usually have a female Revan(none of those male heads, even with edited textures, are that interesting for me), this seems to nip the smallest of things from TSL, and throw the rest into some acidic pool. While I can see why this would be done, it just seems to pull the KOTOR series(so TOR is an offshoot, of sorts, close enough), back to the same morality that the movies use, and thus the facet of Revan chose the dark-side overall, yet still maintaining some aspects of a Jedi, thus using both sides, doesn't fit that scheme at all.

I really don't want to go as far as to say TSL, Avellone or anyone else that wrote even the smallest part of the game, has perfect writing. I'm just saying it was an interesting take on it, one that I can respect(though I can say the same for KOTOR), it just seems wasteful to trash the aspects they have.

It doesn't bother me so much that the canon for both Revan and the Exile is the light-side path, or that one is male, and the other female. though the whole part about meeting the Sith Emperor in the Unknown Regions, and taking orders from him, and then both Revan and Malak taking the mantle themselves, just puts the cliche right into the light. Like it was damned impossible for Revan to do what Kreia said of him, no matter the reasons why Revan act in the ways he did.

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
Oh good Lord... Part of the reason Revan was so cool was that his origins were so obscure and his life was so unorthodox. I personally would have liked it better if they just left the reason for his fall to the dark unknown. All they should have done was reveal why he went to the Unknown Regions and also what happened to the Exile, but based on the video I guess they made that pretty unappealing too.

Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Like has been mentioned above I don't see how this deviates that much from the story K1 told. Revan did disobey orders in going to fight the Mandalorians...and we knew that Revan and Malak encountered something that caused them to fall to the dark side and return as invaders. So really what they've done is set the Sith emperor as the reason Revan set about dismantling the Republic but leaving major portions of infrastructure intact. It actually makes sense to me...why would the Sith want to rebuild from the ground up when they could just wipe out military and political obstacles while leaving things the new empire would need.

At any rate, can't say this really changes my opinion on anything. I will still play the game when it comes out (and hopefully before then if I can get into the beta)

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

Current Game: KotOR II
This kind of thing is why I hate it when game companies dwell too much on past games

My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived
your life from the beginning to the end and ka is always served.”

― Stephen King, The Dark Tower
Mandalore The Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
JediAthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore The Shadow View Post
This kind of thing is why I hate it when game companies dwell too much on past games
Well...when doing an MMO that takes place in a large setting the history of said game world tends to be an important part but I understand where your sentiment comes from.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Old 06-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
I honestly don't get the gripes about it. All thats in it is what we already know, and its not changed one bit. you may argue you find out a lot more from kreia, but she was a manipulative liar :L..

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
I honestly don't get the gripes about it. All thats in it is what we already know, and its not changed one bit. you may argue you find out a lot more from kreia, but she was a manipulative liar :L..
Also who did she tell her stories about Revan to? The Exile, IMO the Exile had every reason not to trust or believe Kreia’s stories of Revan's greatness, the Exile was on the receiving end of Revan’s betrayal at Malachor V. Considering that, I can see why Kreia’s version of Revan died on Malachor with her. I can’t see a reason for the Exile to spread Kreia’s pro-Revan propaganda even if the Exile believed it considering what happened at Malachor. Add to that if the Exile departed for the Unknown region right away, when would she have had time to spread the pro-Revan propaganda.

Then let us also remember information was lost during and after the Jedi Civil War. Then add to that information being rewritten for political reasons (much like Texas distorting Thomas Jefferson’s influence on the creation of the U.S because they now disagree with his politics in their new Text Books). History can be and is rewritten depending on who is in power and given enough time it can become what is known to be the truth.

“History is written by the victors.” ~ Winton Churchill

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
What's up with Revan and Malak being about the same height in that video.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Platform Boots

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Revan vs. TOR bad guy, who would win?

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #15
JediAthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Silence! I keel you!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #16
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
you just ruined the last boss battle for everyone :|
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #17
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post

Well that was interesting, and there still leaving Revan's final fate a mystery.

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
Thanatos9t

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Yeah I noticed that as well, also why did Bastila have a double saber in the confrontation with Revan?

But yeah I also don't think it sullies Revans character considering we knew why he had gone into the unknown regions to search for the Star Forge and came back corrupted but now we know why.

Does that mean that Mullet-Man is the canon Revan head? (1:31 in the video)

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Thanatos9t is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
JediAthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos9t View Post
Does that mean that Mullet-Man is the canon Revan head? (1:31 in the video)
I think whomever designed and composed the video probably just picked a look that they liked. Either that or they were told what look to use by LA...one or the other.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Hm. I dismissed this as being too flimsy to work because "What kind of idiot entrusts such a thing [as the star forge] to a couple of new lackeys?", but alas, they did use this story anyways.

I mean, was there no other way? Seriously? Why didn't the sith emperor do it himself if he was so greatly powerful? More I think about it, the less sense it makes to me.

If Revan was not a singular unique jedi, weren't there others more trustworthy to the emperor (or at least less ambitious) that could have been sent? Sure it required someone more or less trusted by the Republic, but having seen what I have about secret infiltration, I'm left scratching my head.

Now it sounds even more flimsy. The 7th timeline which was about the secret infiltrations, is one explanaiton which would hold together but that would raise some serious questions about more of his background and to what extent Revan was raised by the Jedi prior to the mandalorian wars.

Far as the history on Revan, It just ignores TSL and doesn't outright contradict it. That's good. Leaves it open and unsaid.

TSL seems a plausible storyline, and because it doesn't follow typical SW formula as closely but still manages to retain at least a little SW-y feel. Also, it is one example of how not only the galaxy but all life was at one point threatened. Which is good because the SW EU needed something else of significance that was different and it was not the movies or anything similar or too closely related. Just my opinion, though.

Far as the story itself...ok it may not be phenominal but most sequels aren't when in the shadow of their predecessors, unless the predecessor really sucked.

Far as I could see, Kreia's talk about Revan wasn't deception so much as it was speculation, possibly ignorant. She did not speak from a knowing point of view on anything about Revan except on small minor details that could quite easily fit into the plot as outlined. Nothing too significant.

If she was being truthful in her speculation "call from home", then it may well provide a pivotal point for which the Sith Emperor could have manipulated Revan and Malak. Revan's family and heritage. Revan may not have been willing, but there might have been some other subtler means of coercion besides sith sorcery total mind control zombification. Family and origins is as good a place as any to start guessing.

If Kreia was not truthful, well, pay it no mind because it was uninformed speculation.

My enthusiasm for this game, however, is waning again. And since I probably won't be able to get a new computer for it anyways...umm, yeah.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
That didn't tell me anything I didn't already know...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
Ghost

Current Game: NBA 2k11
I thought I made this thread already. Oh well. I am sticking to the TSL version of Revan. Case closed.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Darth Revan's motive's revealed

Tags
dark side, idiocy, jedi civil war, kotor, malak, pissing, revan, timeline, tor, unknown regions