lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #41
TheJoe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenko View Post
I wonder why they are there.

Also I finally finished decoding all the 7157 speech-files. Too bad they don't have proper names
If we could decrypt speech.info, I'm sure we could find which lines are which by matching the lines. That's how classic SCUMM worked anyway, you could attach a reference to a speech file in MONSTER.SOU to a line and easily translate that reference.
TheJoe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #42
Kenko
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoe View Post
If we could decrypt speech.info, I'm sure we could find which lines are which by matching the lines. That's how classic SCUMM worked anyway, you could attach a reference to a speech file in MONSTER.SOU to a line and easily translate that reference.
Some parts of it is readable, but I don't really know what to look for.

And where do I find the MONSTER.SOU?
Kenko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #43
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Quote:
I can't get MT-32 tracks, but I can record the music with Shan's soundfont which is very close to it. I would need a lot of time though since I only know how to do it in Linux which I don't have installed right now.
No. No emulators. No soundfonts. A real MT-32 or nothing at all. There really is nothing like it. I have an MT-32. I might be persuaded to take on the task. Can't you extract all the MIDI files from a Scumm game with Scumm Revisited or something? That would make things easier. Then you could compare them with the SE classic soundtrack to get what you need.

I'm still really bummed that the music in the Dinky Island jungle was plain scrapped.

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #44
TheJoe
Rookie

Quote:
Some parts of it is readable, but I don't really know what to look for.

And where do I find the MONSTER.SOU?
MONSTER.SOU isn't used in the SE, it's the file for speech in SCUMM v5. I was just comparing speech.info and how SCUMM used to reference speech.

Quote:
Can't you extract all the MIDI files from a Scumm game with Scumm Revisited or something? That would make things easier. Then you could compare them with the SE classic soundtrack to get what you need.
Yes. Although General MIDI tracks don't exist in the original MI2, there's only Adlib, PC Speaker and Roland. ScummVM converts them to GM on the fly. I personally don't think the originals sound too good.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #45
Kenko
Rookie

Quote:
MONSTER.SOU isn't used in the SE, it's the file for speech in SCUMM v5. I was just comparing speech.info and how SCUMM used to reference speech.
I see.

The line "GUY_103_open-credits_1_1" is next to the line "You guys get out of here!" in the speech.info file. Could this be useful?
Kenko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #46
TheJoe
Rookie

Quote:
I see.

The line "GUY_103_open-credits_1_1" is next to the line "You guys get out of here!" in the speech.info file. Could this be useful?
Well it means the line's in there. I tried 0000103.wav, but it's not Guybrush at all. In fact I'm not sure who that is.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #47
Monkey Mania

What's the process of getting a custom graphics file to work? I tried Gzipping it but the filesize was wrong.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #48
ATMachine
Hero of Many Lands

Hey, thanks for the tool, Benny! I've used it to extract the concept art at full size, without those annoying button overlays you see in-game. It's quite nice (and it's how I noticed the early "Crooked Island" name for Booty, which is hidden away written in the corner on one drawing, beneath the giant Back button the SE art gallery superimposes).

"What color is the tree?"
ATMachine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #49
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Mania View Post
What's the process of getting a custom graphics file to work? I tried Gzipping it but the filesize was wrong.
Basically, strip back the dds header, put back the original 12 byte header, follow it with the gzipped data.

If people really want to do this then I'm sure that I, or someone else will make a tool to do it in the next few days.

bgbennyboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #50
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
Hey, thanks for the tool, Benny! I've used it to extract the concept art at full size, without those annoying button overlays you see in-game. It's quite nice (and it's how I noticed the early "Crooked Island" name for Booty, which is hidden away written in the corner on one drawing, beneath the giant Back button the SE art gallery superimposes).
Ta, I've avoided looking too much at the files as I've not completed the game myself yet

Old 07-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #51
Monkey Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbennyboy View Post
Basically, strip back the dds header, put back the original 12 byte header, follow it with the gzipped data.

If people really want to do this then I'm sure that I, or someone else will make a tool to do it in the next few days.
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but a tool would be very nice.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #52
myloch
Rookie

I heard there were lotta ppl not happy with monkey island 1 SE backgrounds (graphic glitches). what's the situation with the special edition of monkey island 2? Better I hope.
myloch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #53
Meelkee
Lurker

Quote:
I've put together a package to automate the decoding of the MI2 music.
Instructions are in the readme but the process is basically this:
  • Drag and drop an .xwb file onto the file named DECODEAUDIO
  • It'll take a long time to complete, the new files will be in the "Decoded" folder.
  • I've only tested it with MusicNew.xwb as my brain is fried, but I assume it'll work for some of the others.
  • See the readme for more information.
Download it here.
Thanks SOOOO much for this. I feel like I'm 12 years old again when listening to all the tunes

One short hint: The conversion takes so long because of all those verbose message lines. So if you want to save many hours, you can just disable them by adding a "-v 0" to the command in the batch file so that it looks like this:

..\unxwb.exe -r "..\ffmpeg.exe -v 0 -i #FILE ..\Decoded\#FILE"

Again, many thanks!
Meelkee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #54
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by myloch View Post
I heard there were lotta ppl not happy with monkey island 1 SE backgrounds (graphic glitches). what's the situation with the special edition of monkey island 2? Better I hope.
While there is similar sloppiness, I would say, it is an improvement. The worst example of remaining classic pixels I noticed is at the Scabb island beach left to the camp fire.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #55
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Good idea, I'll add that in now. The package was just hurriedly put together last night so that people could rip the music.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #56
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Meelkee: Thanks for the suggestion, it is indeed a lot quicker

I've updated the download link in my earlier post with the new version.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #57
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Largo's easy mode cloth is in his room and the inventory icon is there. I wonder if they actually intended to have easy mode available at one point.
On the other hand, there are highres versions of all the unused inventory icons, which is pretty useless.
The opening sequence backgrounds are there, but merely scaled up. No highres art there.

I wonder, if there are unused voice acting again. Maybe even easy mode texts. I wish, we could extract the voice acting with proper names.

When extracting the commentary file, the extractor asks me to overwrite every single file. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I answer yes or no. Can this be fixed? I don't want to hammer my keyboard for every single who knows how many files.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #58
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
More than likely they just blindly redid every piece of art in the game and didn't even know easy mode existed.

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #59
LordTrilobite

I'm working on a HD version of one of opeing credits backgrounds as a test to see how it turns out. Would be so awesome if someone is able to 'unlock' the intro.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #60
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicDeLuxe View Post
When extracting the commentary file, the extractor asks me to overwrite every single file. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I answer yes or no. Can this be fixed? I don't want to hammer my keyboard for every single who knows how many files.
Works fine for me, it'll only be asking you that if the files exist and seeing as commentary has names like 0000000c.wav - you've probably extracted files from another soundbank that have the same name.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #61
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

I just played easy mode. The only thing which isn't right there is the hint system, but if someone uses it, he doesn't need easy mode to begin with.
All easy exclusive stuff seems to work just fine. Well, maybe except when Wally's turning out the light, it is accompanied by a slurping sound. Not exactly what the dialogs suggest. It's probably in the scripts that way, since in Adlib, that sound could be anything.

If you want to try, I made a patch which forces the game to run always in easy mode: http://www.mediafire.com/?20wqej2wk2y
Put the patched monkey2.000 and monkey2.001 to classic\en\
To undo it, just removes the files from classic\en\
Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #62
LordTrilobite

I don't think I've ever played easy mode.
I also never found the dungeon room where Wally is kept.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #63
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTrilobite View Post
I also never found the dungeon room where Wally is kept.
In the room with many arrow signs, go front right and then straight through the next screen.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #64
Tzar Sectus

Thanks for the easy mode patch! I quickly breezed through it myself. I did notice a few other very minor bugs (had to doubleclick to exit from the woodshop, a few animation glitches in Stan's shop), but it worked just fine. I'm surprised all of the voice acting for easy mode is there. Maybe they removed it since they thought it wouldn't be necessary due to the hint system?

By the way, is it possible to repack the xwb files so you can replace the music in them? The project is probably too ambitious, but it would be nice to replace the classic mode music with MT-32 music.
Tzar Sectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #65
Monkey Mania

a pre-mixed, re-synced bone song could be included also.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #66
OzzieMonkey
Rookie

Hey, if someone can edit this clip into the game somehow, but changing it so that the "you guys get out of here" line is "hey, stop that" from Escape from Monkey Island (Timmy and the bananas) that would be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TnO_Os9pdQ
OzzieMonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #67
Monkey Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieMonkey View Post
Hey, if someone can edit this clip into the game somehow, but changing it so that the "you guys get out of here" line is "hey, stop that" from Escape from Monkey Island (Timmy and the bananas) that would be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TnO_Os9pdQ
Actually, "you guys get out of here" is in the game.

check out 00000e8a.wav
Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #68
OzzieMonkey
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Mania View Post
Actually, "you guys get out of here" is in the game.

check out 00000e8a.wav
Where is that file?
OzzieMonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #69
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Sectus View Post
I did notice a few other very minor bugs (had to doubleclick to exit from the woodshop, a few animation glitches in Stan's shop), but it worked just fine.
I don't think those are related to the patch. Is there even a difference at Stan's?
In the woodshop, were someone talking by any chance? I noticed, the engine waits for voice playback to be finished before loading the next room, which is generally a good idea, but can be irritating at times.

One particular animation glitch at Stan's is when Guybrush asks about the coffin and actually points in the other direction. That is no SE bug, though, as it was always there before.
Quote:
I'm surprised all of the voice acting for easy mode is there. Maybe they removed it since they thought it wouldn't be necessary due to the hint system?
I suspect, they just did it like they did in some previous releases too. The easy mode selection is in a room called "copycrap", which has a terrible messy scripting, probably in order to scare of crackers. They just skipped that room altogether, which is very easy to do. On the other hand, there is a boot parameter for easy mode, which they just could have used, but the SE team probably didn't notice that anyways.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #70
TheHutt
Rookie

Are the lines for "things to do after the game" in the game? Maybe they could be unlocked?
TheHutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #71
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
I wonder why they are there.

Also I finally finished decoding all the 7157 speech-files. Too bad they don't have proper names
That can be fixed. The names of the speech files are in the accompanying soundbank (.xsb).

Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #72
TheJoe
Rookie

I've talked with silverwolfpet at Telltale about an MT-32. Unfortunately, he doesn't have one. But he tells me he'll get in contact with someone who might do.

So now we just need to know how to repack and .xwb and we may have MT-32 music on the way.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #73
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
I've talked with silverwolfpet at Telltale about an MT-32. Unfortunately, he doesn't have one. But he tells me he'll get in contact with someone who might do.

So now we just need to know how to repack and .xwb and we may have MT-32 music on the way.
There are two possible approaches to repacking:

1) Hack the original .xwb file - just changing the data and adjusting the block sizes.

2) Use the Microsoft's XACT tool (the tool that was originally used to build and compile the wavebanks) to make a new one. This might be a simpler approach. XACT comes with the free XNA Game Studio. Note that it only accepts wav/aif/aiff music/sounds so any re-recording shouldnt be encoded in a lossy format as you'd have to convert it back to wav again anyway.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #74
TheJoe
Rookie

Quote:
There are two possible approaches to repacking:

1) Hack the original .xwb file - just changing the data and adjusting the block sizes.

2) Use the Microsoft's XACT tool (the tool that was originally used to build and compile the wavebanks) to make a new one. This might be a simpler approach. XACT comes with the free XNA Game Studio. Note that it only accepts wav/aif/aiff music/sounds so any re-recording shouldnt be encoded in a lossy format as you'd have to convert it back to wav again anyway.
Good stuff. Do you know of any way to get XACT on its own? Grabbing the entire studio would take a lot of time, I imagine.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #75
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
I don't sorry. I just got it with XNA.

I'm currently using it to try and rebuild a wavebank though, to see if I can get one that - while not identical - the game will accept.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #76
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Are you sure it doesn't accept compressed WAV files? I didn't try. How does the game use lossy codecs for most of the sounds then? It does use ADPCM for many samples, right?

And I wonder, what do they use Libogg, Libvorbis and Libjpeg for? Their licenses are included in the SE credits, so I assume they are compiled in for some reason.

Quote:
I'm currently using it to try and rebuild a wavebank though, to see if I can get one that - while not identical - the game will accept.
The bone song sure is worth a try. Mixing the voice acting in, and silence the voice files. That should solve sync problems here for sure.
If you managed to get it working, a patch would be great.

The MT-32 business is a lot more work, of course.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #77
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
I meant it doesn't accept them as input. It'll output to a wavebank as ADPCM/xWMA/XMA.

I can only imagine that ogg/vorbis is used in the PS3 version - where wavebanks/soundbanks probably aren't used.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #78
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
I got the musicnew wavebank recompiled and after a bit of fiddling (you have to make sure the version and headerversion dwords match) got it to work ingame.

Unfortunately, although internally the names were the same, the order in the wavebank must be important because the wrong tracks played at the wrong times and imuse got very confused.

With a bit more tweaking though I should be able to give you all a working project workflow for replacing the music

Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #79
TheJoe
Rookie

I've potentially found a FLAC rip of MI2 MT-32 tracks. The catch is, it's a torrent.

Are we OK with packing torrented music, or should we continue to seek a real MT-32 and rip it manually?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #80
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
I've potentially found a FLAC rip of MI2 MT-32 tracks. The catch is, it's a torrent.
Is it my remixed version by any chance?

Unfortunately, all available soundtracks are useless because of iMuse. If we want to replace the MT-32 tracks, we have to record the pieces of the original MIDIs separately, so the engine can mix it in real time. This is a big and important difference to the soundtracks meant for listening without the game.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition