lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dragon Age 2
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #121
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Here's a preview from 1UP. As with the IGN article, they again make reference to orcs and goblins. Seems Bioware's new "more distinctive" art style is working out a treat for the Darkspawn.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #122
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Quote:
BioWare has whittled Dragon Age 2 conversation choices down to three.

"Good" responses will be earmarked with an olive branch, "nasty" answers by a Greek comedy mask and "badass" by a red fist, according to IGN.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #123
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
^I SO hope they will look at Alpha Protocol.
The way they handled the story and conversations...just epic.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #124
Drunkside
Satanīs little helper

I love the way they are copying the dialog system of a game that copied their other game´s dialogue system.

Saivoīs New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #125
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Dutch saying: "Better to steal something good, then make up something bad."
Free translation though...

The more I read about DA:2, the more I'm starting to like it. Although they will sadly depart from their RPG-roots (Dragon Age ISN'T hardcore RPG folks...play Baldurs Gate), the direction it's taking is...interesting to say the least!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #126
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Dutch saying: "Better to steal something good, then make up something bad."
Free translation though...

The more I read about DA:2, the more I'm starting to like it. Although they will sadly depart from their RPG-roots (Dragon Age ISN'T hardcore RPG folks...play Baldurs Gate), the direction it's taking is...interesting to say the least!
I think the PC version is as hardcore / old school of a Western RPG as we've had since Baldur's Gate.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #127
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Dragon Age ISN'T hardcore RPG folks...play Baldurs Gate
BG isn't really considered "hardcore" by a lot of people. I'm not sure I've seen a lot of reference to DA being considered hardcore either, more just being a welcome return to Bioware's more traditional RPG roots. Roots they are apparently digging up and poisoning with DA2.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #128
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Current Game: The Old Republic
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I haven't enjoyed a BioWare game as much as Dragon Age since KotOR. I don't get why they would overhaul so many aspects of Dragon Age for its sequel. I thought people really liked how DA turned out.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #129
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
The devs say over on the official forums said that the limit of 3 options was just in the demo they are showing and that, like ME, the wheel can accommodate up to 6 choices in a single screen, with the option of paging through multiple screens if needs be.
I guess this demonstrates the danger of releasing info about an upcoming product in small bits and pieces. Without seeing the whole picture people get the impression that what they see now is all that they'll get, and such misconceptions can be hard to do something about once they've taken root.

Just like how the Bearded Wonder protagonist they've been using so far in screenshots and demos has made some previewing sites/magazines jump to the conclusion that you'll play as a fixed male warrior protagonist where you can't change the gender, profession or other specifics.

Kind of sad that you need to plow through the Bioware forums for developer posts to find out actual facts about the game, something only the Hardcore fans would consider doing. How hard would it be to put all the released info as a summary on the official site, really?

Quote:
To me the wheel interface itself isn't the problem, it's the overall shift in direction they appear to be taking. Everything I see from the devs just reminds me of the Lucas "faster, more intense" mantra.
I'm kind of ambivalent about the whole dialog wheel/VO thing. I prefer a voiced main character to a mute one who just stands there nodding while people talk to her, but I also like seeing in advance just what the character will say if I pick a particular response.

The Mass Effect games were notoriously poor at that. Made me scratch my head several times wondering if I slipped and clicked the wrong reply option when the character says/does something completely different than what the reply option would suggest.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #130
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The devs have said that no company releases every last drop of info about a game this far out from release, and that's a fair point. However, the info they have released to date does strike me as odd. They've made it very clear they have no particular interest in pandering to the tastes of long term Bioware fans or existing Origins fans. It seems they spy greener pastures in mainstream land. I'm not sure their current marketing approach really serves that market very well though. It seems like they are both alienating their current user base and at the same time offering up something to the mass market that is probably going to get a resounding "meh".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
Kind of sad that you need to plow through the Bioware forums for developer posts to find out actual facts about the game, something only the Hardcore fans would consider doing.
At least they make that easy to do, just by clicking the BW icon next to the thread title, happily a feature from the old forums they retained.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #131
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Dragon Age ISN'T hardcore RPG folks...
This depends on what someone accepts as their definition of "hardcore RPG"

Some will insist it must have PnP roots, others a complex dialogue system - I personally like the "has an intro level that makes you kills rats" and "goes on for way too long" criteria

Im still cursing the fates at losing my DAO save... drats!!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #132
Rake
Rookie

The gamespot preview seems to have the most accurate info that I read:

Quote:
Overall, the combat didn't feel remarkably different from the first Dragon Age. It flowed a little more smoothly and moved at a quicker pace, but that was mostly because our talents and spells recharged quickly after using them. That could very easily have just been something BioWare tuned for this public demo--likely a lowered difficulty to help ease players back into the experience. After this admittedly brief demo, we're confident that BioWare knows what they're doing. This isn't going to be a hack-and-slash game.
I'm not too worried about the combat, however I really don't like the art direction they took. I wasn't a huge fan of DA:O's art style, as I don't think it fit the world; however, I was hoping for a more realistic rather than comicy look for the newer Dragon Ages. VO isn't a problem in my book either, Mass Effect made silent PC games a little more awkward for me. My only concern is that the game will be A) around only 20 hours long and B) Like others have said, the "Get Lost" option turns into "ima pop a cap in yo ass."
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #133
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Video posted of some random behind-the-scenes stuff over at Game Informer - http://gameinformer.com/games/news/m...ry/430825.aspx
Old 07-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #134
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
Wow, isn't that a bit fast. That can't be good for quality... Even ME 2 took much more time and they didn't jump to another engine. Just tweaked and altered it.

This doesn't bode well
QFE. I can't help but express the same sentiments, 4+ months after Quanon posted this. I haven't drawn many conclusions about the changes BioWare is making to DA2, still waiting for more info on that front. But I am definitely concerned with the seemingly short development timeframe for DA2. IIRC DA:O was released in 2009 November. DA2 is scheduled for a 2011 March release. So let's see... add the 2... carry the 5... that's 17 months after the release of DA:O. I will be impressed if come March BioWare pulls it off and releases a quality game with minimal bugs but color me skeptical at this point in time.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #135
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
As has been previously stated, primary development on DA1 was completed at the beginning of 2009. The PC version was originally slated to ship around March or April, but EA held it back for a simultaneous release with the console versions, the porting of which continued until the release in November 2009. That essentially means that there will potentially have been up to 2 years available for development of DA2 by the time it ships in 1st quarter 2011. Now judging from what devs have said, they didn't leap into developing DA2 straight after primary development work on DA1 ended, but I am fairly certain that they started at least some initial work on it before DA1's retail release. If you look at the credits for Awakening, released in March 2010, you'll see that it was pretty much developed by a "B team". The obvious explanation now for why that was the case is because the bulk of the DA1 "A team" was already at work on DA2. This is also supported by the original post in this thread, pointing out that some copies of Awakening shipped with teasers for DA2.

Also keep in mind that, again as has been previously stated, contrary to what Quanon said DA2 is not using a new engine. It's still running on the Eclipse engine and from what they have shown so far there don't seem to have been any significant changes made under the hood. They've changed the art style, but that is mostly cosmetic.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #136
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Ah yes, I am familiar with the development timeline for DA:O. And yes, sorry, I did know BioWare continues to use their internally developed Eclipse Engine used for DA:O in DA2 development.

What I'm not clear on is when DA2 production really began. You seem to have knowledge that some level of pre-production work was done prior to DA:O's release. Two years of development time would definitely be better than 17 months and would inspire more confidence in yours truly. But I haven't closely followed DA2 development info thus far. I will likely start paying closer attention a month or two before DA2's scheduled release to see how the game appears to be shaping up. Will BioWare score another win with DA2 or will it be BioWare's first game in the EA era that fails to meet expectations of BioWare's corporate parent? I can only await the answer to that question.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #137
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The development timetable is really a non-issue to me. People seem to be getting caught up in it, but of far greater concern should be the overall direction they are taking, not how long they are taking to do it.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #138
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So BioWare wants to make people play a Dragon Age version of Commander Shepard.

How utterly original! NOT!!!

No importation of the character you worked SO !!@@ing hard to level up to 30 in the course of Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening? No clicking text and picking out which ones are the "special" ones related to your race, class or skills (like Willpower and Cunning)? I swear--at least with the text clicks, there were literally HUNDREDS of conversational combinations you could pick? Now? You could exhaust all of "Hawke's" dialogue options in about three separate playthroughs. More combat-oriented? Please. The reason I'm so addicted to Dragon Age is BECAUSE of the RP, not IN SPITE OF IT.

When I "tweak" Hawke's stats, I'm making his intelligence 8 if possible. That way, he'll at least be an idiot who will have some "dialogue wheel" options like "Angry grunt", "Meh", "Hit on target!" and "Playful Gibberish". Thus, I will have my revenge upon this horrible desecration of what made the original Dragon Age so fantastic! It makes me want to re-buy and re-install Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura again, just for the RP.

All the same, if GameSpot loves DA2, I'll probably download it and give it a shot. *sigh*

Am I addicted? Like any drug user...
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #139
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysyacha View Post
When I "tweak" Hawke's stats, I'm making his intelligence 8 if possible. That way, he'll at least be an idiot who will have some "dialogue wheel" options like "Angry grunt", "Meh", "Hit on target!" and "Playful Gibberish". Thus, I will have my revenge upon this horrible desecration of what made the original Dragon Age so fantastic!
Oh no, they won't let you get away with it that easily. Having a low intelligence will still let you speak as well as anyone else, because the story has to be CINEMATIC and GROUND-BREAKING.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #140
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
That, and because it's too expensive to record 2 (male/female) whole other sets of dialogue tracks for retard characters. Same reason you don't get to play as an Elf or Dwarf.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #141
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Nah, not being able to play as an Elf or a Dwarf has nothing to do with voice actors, or at least it shouldn't, since accents are not race specific in Dragon Age, despite uninformed claims to the opposite. What the real reason is, I fear we'll never know for sure.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #142
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...i-evolved.aspx
Old 07-30-2010, 01:41 AM   #143
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Great model, I really like the new Qunari design, even if it reminds me of a certain someone who couldn't carry any more and so he had to drop it.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 AM   #144
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
While I don't have anything bad to say about the design itself, visual consistency is very important to me and I would have preferred a new race with this look, instead of an old race suddenly getting a drastic makeover.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #145
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well apparently the horns at least aren't a retcon. According to a post on the official forum it is mentioned in the Origins codex that some qunari have horns. That was news to me - guess I never read that part. Or maybe I never unlocked it because Sten was as dull as hell.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #146
Astor
It's Thornhill!

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I like the 'new' Qunari - it looks a little more exotic than Sten, who just looked like a really tall, muscular, red skinned human.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2010, 05:32 AM   #147
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Red? He was more of a dark grey.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #148
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
The development timetable is really a non-issue to me. People seem to be getting caught up in it, but of far greater concern should be the overall direction they are taking, not how long they are taking to do it.
I guess we should agree to disagree on this one. KotOR II is an example of a game that could have been much better if more development time had been granted it. While I don't think that a long development timeframe guarantees a good quality game, I do hold the opinion that a good quality CRPG can not be developed in less than two years. I won't change that opinion until I see it happen. I will judge Dragon Age 2 on its merits whenever it comes out though I won't be able to determine DA2's development timeframe unless it's known when development actually started.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #149
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
That's not really a fair comparison. K2's failings are due to Obsidian's incompetence, not the development timeframe. Every game they have released to date has been a bug-ridden mess, regardless of whether they had 1 year to develop it or 4.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #150
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
I guess we should agree to disagree on this one. KotOR II is an example of a game that could have been much better if more development time had been granted it. While I don't think that a long development timeframe guarantees a good quality game, I do hold the opinion that a good quality CRPG can not be developed in less than two years. I won't change that opinion until I see it happen. I will judge Dragon Age 2 on its merits whenever it comes out though I won't be able to determine DA2's development timeframe unless it's known when development actually started.
I started a thread about this in the official Bioware forums. I got insulted by fanboys (one even asking what Bioware had to do with Star Wars) before a moderator shut it down.

However, I agree with you completely. If you look at the development time for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2, you'll see it's almost unrealistic to think Dragon Age 2 will be top-notch.

Unless Bioware allowed a small team to polish the original DA (it was delayed a few months if I remember correctly) and shoved the rest of their team on Dragon Age 2. In any case, I'm excited for this, but I'm doubting Dragon Age or Mass Effect 2 quality can be met.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #151
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
They seem to be spending/have spent a considerable amount of time on re-designing aspects of the game - most of the news seems to be centred around 'what's changed?' rather than 'what's new?'

For instance, that surprise about the redesign (though the devs assure us not a retcon) of the Qunari, and mention of design changes to elves, dwarves, etc, so really I'm expecting something of a similar gameplay experience with some rather different surroundings. Not that I thought there was anything particularly glaringly bad in Origins, but I'm still not especially fond of the apparent new styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker
I got insulted by fanboys
The big reason I'm hesitant about posting there.
SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #152
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I wonder if anyone is going to name their character "Shepard Hawke." *LOL*
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 AM   #153
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
View page
YouTube Video
Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #154
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

'skip the shoe-leather, skip the interstitial between the key action moments'

I think that needs explanation in the months to come...

The politicking sounded good, that doesn't so much.

Last edited by SW01; 07-31-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #155
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Their new target demographic isn't interested in boring stuff like dialogue or story, it's all about the action! Good thing thing we'll be "fighting like a Spartan" then - whatever the hell that means. Half-naked perhaps?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #156
Astor
It's Thornhill!

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm beginning to dislike this sequel more and more with each announcement and devloper interview.

Quote:
Good thing thing we'll be "fighting like a Spartan" then - whatever the hell that means. Half-naked perhaps?
I'm very worried they mean the Halo type of Spartan.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #157
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
I'm beginning to dislike this sequel more and more with each announcement and devloper interview.
Yes...there has been very little that has been particularly encouraging. The only possible light may be the importation of Origins/Awakenings decisions into the game, though I can't really see what relevance most of that will have. Unless we're going to hear some town crier with random little soundbites. Or the Dragon Age equivalent of e-mail.

I can't understand the mentality of 'oh the one with lots of exploration and side-quests and interaction was RPG of the year in a lot of places and did very well, but now we need to change as much as possible.'
Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #158
Alkonium

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Here's a preview from 1UP. As with the IGN article, they again make reference to orcs and goblins. Seems Bioware's new "more distinctive" art style is working out a treat for the Darkspawn.
Well, for all we know, some of the cultures outside of Ferelden may just call Hurlocks Orcs and Genlocks Goblins. Or were they clear that they were separate from the Darkspawn?

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #159
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
I can't understand the mentality
The mentality is the same as that of Sony and MS falling over themselves in an attempt to get a chunk of the casual game market, and the same as making a KOTOR MMO instead of a SP RPG - money. By "streamlining" it they can appeal to the mass market and make bigger sales. ME2 is their model (pretty much literally, in the case of the dialogue system). Now some may say that's not a bad thing and that they enjoyed ME2 more than ME1. For myself, I found ME2 lacking in many areas compared to ME1 (most notably the almost complete gutting of certain RPG elements) and am not overly thrilled with the prospect of DA undergoing a similar transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Well, for all we know, some of the cultures outside of Ferelden may just call Hurlocks Orcs and Genlocks Goblins. Or were they clear that they were separate from the Darkspawn?
It's the same demo that has been shown everywhere. There are only Darkspawn (an Ogre and some, presumably, Hurlocks) in it, confirmed as such by devs. The whole orc/goblin thing arose because they don't look anything like the Darkspawn of Origins.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #160
Rake
Rookie

Like the devs said, the first info they are going to release is going to center around what separates DA2 from DAO. Why would they come out saying: The loot is the same just better, combat is the same just more stuff, etc... I like the qunari model; I hated Sten in DAO because he looked so generic, just a tall fat human. The races weren't differentiated enough; elves were just malnourished and short humans.

The only thing that worries me at this point is the loot system. While they haven't mentioned anything yet, with all this talk of unique character models and animations, it seems as though they may go the mass effect route. All characters unique, but have limited armor sets. Hawke's "starting" armor looks too good to be replaced very early on.
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Dragon Age 2