lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dragon Age 2
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #161
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Why have loot when you can just "streamline" it out of the base game and then sell weapon and armour DLC?
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #162
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
I can't understand the mentality of 'oh the one with lots of exploration and side-quests and interaction was RPG of the year in a lot of places and did very well, but now we need to change as much as possible.'
All other concerns aside, I do find it slightly humorous that Electronic Arts generally is vilified as a company that just churns out "more of the same" every year to milk their franchises for all they are worth. And now that Bioware (who are EA) decides to change things in ÐA2 and not just release more of the same people are up in arms about that instead. You really can't win as a game developer it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
By "streamlining" it they can appeal to the mass market and make bigger sales. ME2 is their model (pretty much literally, in the case of the dialogue system). Now some may say that's not a bad thing and that they enjoyed ME2 more than ME1. For myself, I found ME2 lacking in many areas compared to ME1 (most notably the almost complete gutting of certain RPG elements) and am not overly thrilled with the prospect of DA undergoing a similar transition.
From a marketing standpoint it certainly makes sense. The CRPG crowd who found Ðragon Age enjoyable are all pretty much hooked ÐA2 customers already. No matter how many post angry forum rants about them never going to buy it due to the announced changes the vast majority of them will cave in and get the game anyway when it's released. So if you want to increase the size of the customer base you need to branch out to appeal to those who aren't already going to buy it anyway.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #163
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
..And now that Bioware (who are EA)
How much do EA contribute to such decisions like game design, aren't they moreso BioWare's distributors than a guiding hand in game development? In some places, EA also distributes LucasArts titles.

Can we blame them for no JA2 or KOTOR3 as well?

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #164
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
EA bought Bioware. I think it's fair to say they have a significant voice.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #165
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
The changes don't mean I refuse to ever buy it, but they have changed the game from a definite purchase to a try and maybe buy, probably only when it hits $20. I was more interested in Witcher 2 from the get-go anyway (most of the changes I've heard about for that game just make me more excited for it). I never complain about games just being more of the same if the original was awesome enough, at least, not until the 4th game in a series.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #166
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...ndex/4376174/1

The news of no toolset is unsurprising, but if the lack of isometric view in the PC version is true I'll be seriously pissed. Especially given that devs have repeatedly assured us in recent weeks that it was being kept for the PC version. Sounds to me more and more like it has just become a port of a console action-RPG.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #167
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
The news of no toolset is unsurprising, but if the lack of isometric view in the PC version is true I'll be seriously pissed. Especially given that devs have repeatedly assured us in recent weeks that it was being kept for the PC version. Sounds to me more and more like it has just become a port of a console action-RPG.
If that's true, then for me at least, that may well be the deal breaker.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #168
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Now just to wait for the announcement 'oh yeah actually it's a console port after all, but here's a shiny new item to make up for it that you could've created in 20 seconds with the toolset that you're not getting.'
SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #169
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If there's no isometric view I won't be playing this game.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #170
jrrtoken

I find this humorous, in a very sad way. Yes, Dragon Age 2 is being consolized for the masses. Ho-hum; pass the butter.

RPGs, and gaming in-general, has become more console-oriented; it's been that way for close to a decade now. Has it really taken just one game for everyone to A) wake up and notice and B) get angry about it? Did anyone realize that each successive BioWare/Bethesda/Obsidian game has been more action-oriented, more "streamlined"?

Then, Dragon Age was released, and returned to more orthodox roots. A lot of people liked it, and apparently, many didn't like it. Judging by the sequel, many of the haters were console owners, so now EA/BioWare is creating DA2 with consoles in-mind. It's unsurprising, really, and it's not even upsetting anymore, though it is disappointing.

This is the same dilemma that some have been lamenting at for years, but only in a very condensed amount of time. By principle, the same critics of the dumbed-down DA2 should also be wailing over Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, and every Game of the Year RPG in the last decade, which could also be applied to earlier games like KotOR (though I consider KotOR to still be a rather good RPG, all-in-all).
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #171
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Seems there is going to be some sort of half-assed isometric view in the PC version - http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...lf%3D8#4381246 Sounds to me like even that will probably end up getting scrapped before release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
By principle, the same critics of the dumbed-down DA2 should also be wailing over Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, and every Game of the Year RPG in the last decade
Indeed. Some of us have been doing just that.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #172
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
I find this humorous, in a very sad way. Yes, Dragon Age 2 is being consolized for the masses. Ho-hum; pass the butter.

RPGs, and gaming in-general, has become more console-oriented; it's been that way for close to a decade now. Has it really taken just one game for everyone to A) wake up and notice and B) get angry about it? Did anyone realize that each successive BioWare/Bethesda/Obsidian game has been more action-oriented, more "streamlined"?

Then, Dragon Age was released, and returned to more orthodox roots. A lot of people liked it, and apparently, many didn't like it. Judging by the sequel, many of the haters were console owners, so now EA/BioWare is creating DA2 with consoles in-mind. It's unsurprising, really, and it's not even upsetting anymore, though it is disappointing.

This is the same dilemma that some have been lamenting at for years, but only in a very condensed amount of time. By principle, the same critics of the dumbed-down DA2 should also be wailing over Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, and every Game of the Year RPG in the last decade, which could also be applied to earlier games like KotOR (though I consider KotOR to still be a rather good RPG, all-in-all).
This sounds console-ified to a much larger degree than Mass Effect 2 from Mass Effect was (though I was not a fan of many changes in ME2). Dragon Age was garbage on consoles, it looked like dog **** and the combat system did not look appealing at all. The screenshots they've released of DA2 also look like garbage. I don't think it's unfair for people to be upset when BioWare admitted that the PC version surpassed their expectations in terms of sales and then they go and say **** you to all those buyers.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #173
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The debut trailer is out: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/17/dr...ears-us-apart/

Another pre-rendered CG-fest that tells you squat about the game. Sigh.

And another preview by IGN. This one has a sprinkling of new info.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 08-17-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #174
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Well the trailer tells me that Hawke doesn't look like a copy of Leonidas from 300, like I suspected before, but rather like a Dragon Age version of the Prince of Persia. Whether this is an improvement over my first impression, I'm not sure yet.

The IGN article was far more useful in terms of info than the trailer.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #175
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I don't think it's unfair for people to be upset when BioWare admitted that the PC version surpassed their expectations in terms of sales and then they go and say **** you to all those buyers.
Err didn't the 360 version of Dragon Age sell the most? That's what I heard.

Anyway, with Dragon Age 2 the Developers are going with the flow toward sales. Games are being primarily developed on the console now and later ported to the PC. RPGs are now no exception and focus more on graphics and "addictive gameplay" then depth or characters.

EDIT: Has anyone seen the new trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqxPB-BCLRM

It reminds me of the original's Sacred Ashes trailer. Except I still find the disembodied "Kreia"-like voice talking about destiny a real mood killer. Hawke is already reminding me of a mixture of Alistair and Morrigan, and I wouldn't be surprised if the morality system reflected this. If you were good you would be like Alistair giving roses, and if you were bad you would mention you hate weakness.

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn

Last edited by DeadYorick; 08-17-2010 at 05:38 PM.
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #176
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYorick View Post
Except I still find the disembodied "Kreia"-like voice talking about destiny a real mood killer.
I think it's Flemmeth's voice actress, can't be certain though.

Either it's a nod to her return or they just liked the sound of her voice and thought it'd be appropriate.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #177
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
I think it's Flemmeth's voice actress, can't be certain though.

Either it's a nod to her return or they just liked the sound of her voice and thought it'd be appropriate.
Isn't Flemeth dead though? Oh wait Morrigan said she "might return" and thats why you needed her Grimoir.

Who else is expecting another recycled villain and less moral ambiguity?

-Kyle Katarn
Old 08-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #178
truJedi
Rookie

whats the deal with the storyline in the second one ?..... ive only read a little bit about it , but atm it sounds pretty dumb!! Why would they make the hero of the first one, a villin in the second ...sooo annoying lol . Anyone else think the same way i do ??

... I am Jacks Smirking Revenge
truJedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #179
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by truJedi View Post
whats the deal with the storyline in the second one ?..... ive only read a little bit about it , but atm it sounds pretty dumb!! Why would they make the hero of the first one, a villin in the second ...sooo annoying lol . Anyone else think the same way i do ??
Wait... the Warden is in Dragon Age 2? I thought the only returning character was Flemeth, and she was a villain in Dragon Age Origins.

-Kyle Katarn
Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #180
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Why would they make the hero of the first one, a villin in the second
Where did you hear this? I've been following the news about DA2 ever since it was announced and this was never mentioned. What is known is that the new main character is a survivor from Lothering who fled Ferelden after Lothering's destruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYorick View Post
Isn't Flemeth dead though? Oh wait Morrigan said she "might return" and thats why you needed her Grimoir.
Nope, she isn't dead. And she has been confirmed to return in DA2. She has appeared in concept art, some screenshots and she's even in the trailer (and I don't mean just the voice ).

A lot of what I've heard and seen about this game so far, didn't sit well with me, but what I fear the most is that the length of the game will suffer at the hands of "more responsive combat" and "cinematic experience". Unfortunately that's something I won't know until I actually play the game, but I do hope I'm wrong.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #181
truJedi
Rookie

I read here on the forums somewhere that they made the warden the new king of ferelden, and he wants to take revenge on the people of orlais for occupying his country lol....

Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #182
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Quote:
I read here on the forums somewhere that they made the warden the new king of ferelden, and he wants to take revenge on the people of orlais for occupying his country lol....
The Warden can be king or queen of Ferelden by marrying either Alistair or Anora. But only if they are the Human Noble origin. I think you've mixed up the Warden with Teyrn Loghain.

-Kyle Katarn
Old 08-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #183
truJedi
Rookie

lol its got me confused also, ill look for it and post where i found it

this is what i read the other day, but i dont think its got anything to do with the story...
I got it from the iron hand/iron heel thread. One that you have posted on Yoric

Sometimes the greatest heroes become the most reprehensible rulers. Such is the case with His Majesty Aedan Cousland, now King of Ferelden for five long years. Alongside his wife, the beautiful Queen Anora, Aedan rules with an iron hand, crushing the populace beneath his iron heel. After saving the realm of Ferelden almost single-handedly from the archdemon and the darkspawn, Aedan believes that the common folk owe him more than simple gratitude. He demands their allegiance and unquestioning obedience, and some wonder if Teyrn Loghain Mac Tir would have been any different if HE were monarch...

Intending to punish Orlais for occupying his native country, Cousland intends to wage a pre-emptive war against Ferelden's former conquerors. Will he fail in his vendetta, and mission to make Ferelden the new superpower of Thedas? Or will the prophetic words of Flemeth, the elusive and still-breathing Witch of the Wilds, again prove true: "Men's hearts hold secrets darker than any tainted creature?" Only time will tell...

Moderator note [08-17-2010 06:59 PM]

Please use the edit button instead of double posting. Thank you, ~ mimartin

Last edited by mimartin; 08-17-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: merged double post
Old 08-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #184
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Quote:
this is what i read the other day, but i dont think its got anything to do with the story...
I got it from the iron hand/iron heel thread. One that you have posted on Yoric

Sometimes the greatest heroes become the most reprehensible rulers. Such is the case with His Majesty Aedan Cousland, now King of Ferelden for five long years. Alongside his wife, the beautiful Queen Anora, Aedan rules with an iron hand, crushing the populace beneath his iron heel. After saving the realm of Ferelden almost single-handedly from the archdemon and the darkspawn, Aedan believes that the common folk owe him more than simple gratitude. He demands their allegiance and unquestioning obedience, and some wonder if Teyrn Loghain Mac Tir would have been any different if HE were monarch...

Intending to punish Orlais for occupying his native country, Cousland intends to wage a pre-emptive war against Ferelden's former conquerors. Will he fail in his vendetta, and mission to make Ferelden the new superpower of Thedas? Or will the prophetic words of Flemeth, the elusive and still-breathing Witch of the Wilds, again prove true: "Men's hearts hold secrets darker than any tainted creature?" Only time will tell...
Err that's a roleplay by Tysyacha. Not canon

-Kyle Katarn
Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #185
truJedi
Rookie

yer thats what i was thinking....hahah thought it sounded a bit odd !! IM SORRY FOR THE DECEPTION!!! Please dont judge me haha

Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #186
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Dragon Age II Bioware Signature Edition

Just pre-ordered this version of DA 2.

Key Features:
A download code for a bonus playable character and missions.
Exclusive in-game digital armory featuring multiple weapons.

Extra content in this version:
Premium Packaging (silver foil will be used)
Coupon code to get the Day 1 DLC for free
Download Code for the Soundtrack
Exclusive in Game Items:
- Might of Sten (2H Sword)
- Apostate’s Courage (staff)
- Adder of Antiva (Bow)
- Seeker’s Bulwark (Shield)

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #187
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Ooo...I might have to look into that. Bonus character, missions, free DLC, and the soundtrack? And that edition is only 50/60 bucks? Most excellent.

But now I have to decide whether to get it on PS3 for the trophies...or on the computer so I can wear headphones and click things. *frown*

I haven't really been following DA2...has anything been said about the combat system being changed?

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #188
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Wasn't that thread for Awakening?

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #189
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Well, if that's available in retail as well, I'll have to look into it.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #190
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Bioware just released a new trailer which debuts party member/narrator Varric's voice and his ridiculous looking cross-crossbow, and shows off party member and bisexual love interest Isabela (confirmed to be the same one from Origins, despite looking nothing alike):

View page
YouTube Video

There's also a very brief article over at IGN - http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/113/1130484p1.html
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #191
igyman
Tension!

Heh, saw the new trailer on the official site. Doesn't really show much of anything we haven't seen already in various screenshots. I noticed one thing, though, and it doesn't make me any happier about the game - the party members seem to always be wearing the same clothes in this trailer, while Hawke wears at least two different armors. It's still too early to tell, but this sort of thing screams ME2 "customization" to me. Obviously, we won't know for sure what can and can't be done until we see, or read a proper review, or play the game ourselves.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #192
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
I know that's a game trailer, but those graphics just don't sell it to me.

As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #193
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hunger View Post
I know that's a game trailer, but those graphics just don't sell it to me.
The seemingly new direction of game-play worries me more than the graphics.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #194
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I actually like the new graphics. They look more cartoonish but they didn't went overboard with it - like they did with TOR - and the animations seems more fluid. Not so sure if new gameplay is going to be much of a problem since I never thought the one on the original was the best stuff ever either.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #195
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
I actually like the new graphics. They look more cartoonish but they didn't went overboard with it - like they did with TOR - and the animations seems more fluid.
It could just be our tastes in graphics, but I'd say that those graphics are less fluid and even more cartoonish. TOR's animations are at least in sync in regards to their animations (model movements lining up correctly), while in this trailer they were very out of sync.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
The seemingly new direction of game-play worries me more than the graphics.
At the moment I am using graphics as an assessment because simply put Bioware games tend to be sold on graphics. Granted, Mass Effect (I & II) has an interesting combat system, but I've seen the same thing done in other games.

Most of what's really changed with Bioware's games since Jade Empire is "higher quality" graphics and cutscenes.

As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #196
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
If it's going to have that awful Mass Effect 2 armour system, with very limited PC choices and no party-NPC choices, I think it would actually be quite a big problem for me. I like the option of the unique npc clothing and all that (as with Morrigan in DAO), but it shouldn't be at the expense of the customisation option that comes with the simple ability to equip armour and items.

Hopefully, all of the above there is just an unfortunate misperception of the trailer.

And I, at least, was very happy with DAO's graphics. I saw (and see) no problem with them that couldn't be solved with, perhaps, using a higher resolution on the textures. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, the 'new and unique graphical style' isn't anywhere near the list of draws to the game. Again, it's the potential impact on customisation, of faces this time, that worries me. The Mass Effect 2 example springs to mind - custom looked nowhere near the quality of the default, far less the standard of other things in the game.

As for gameplay, the big thing concerning me (still) is the 'framed narrative' and 'cutting down on shoe leather'. Now, having recently played The Witcher I'm marginally less worried about how restrictive it is, but compared to DAO there is no denying that it is still rather restrictive. That may just be down to personal taste...

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #197
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
Hopefully, all of the above there is just an unfortunate misperception of the trailer.
I think the armour thing is a misconception. Based on dev comments, both direct and indirect, the equippable armour/clothes system should be pretty much unchanged. Remember that Morrigan appeared in her unique outfit in all the pre-release vids for Origins and you could change her appearance just fine. By all accounts, most of the underlying systems in that regard haven't been radically altered from what I can tell, so I wouldn't get too hung up about that sort of thing. Especially given that there are plenty of actual confirmed changes for us to bitch and moan about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
As for gameplay, the big thing concerning me (still) is the 'framed narrative' and 'cutting down on shoe leather'.
I have to say I have my own concerns as well about that, based on some of the dev comments (like the shoe leather one). I have no particular issue with the framed narrative mechanic itself - in principle there is no reason it should have a negative impact on the game if used well. I guess the question is how exactly they employ it and how that impacts on your freedom. Bioware games are always going to be fairly constrictive and linear by their very nature, so you shouldn't be expecting something like Oblivion/Fallout 3 where you wander around aimlessly with no purpose. By the same token, I don't think you are going to see something as restrictive as the most recent framed narrative example Alpha Protocol, where each "hub" had a very limited number of small maps to shoot some stuff in. I expect something akin to Origins where you basically have access to a number of areas accessible via the overland map throughout the majority of the game. The main thing I see the framed narrative angle changing is what quests are available at any given moment, most obviously focused around the progression of the central plot. The question is how much they are going to string those out and what impact the time jumps associated with plot progression will have on your freedom to play the game in the manner you desire.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #198
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

It looks like the JA combat system is going to make a comeback, and that alone is worth celebration to me

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #199
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
JA combat system? What is that? Jedi Academy's combat system?

IMHO still not a lot of substance to BioWare's Dragon Age 2 promotions. I guess they have some time though since the game isn't scheduled to launch until March.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to buying Dragon Age 2 at launch. I grow weary of the DLC parade in BioWare games and would prefer to wait for a "content complete" version. Unfortunately the only reason I'm even on the fence is due to my OCD when it comes to acquiring the supposedly unique items available for pre-ordering, signing up for the newsletter, etc.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #200
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

*ears perk*

Jedi Academy? WHERE?!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Dragon Age 2