lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Crash Fix For Catalyst 10.5+
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
XycaleTh
Rookie

Crash Fix For Catalyst 10.5+

Those of you with ATI graphics cards may have noticed that the latest drivers versions (Catalyst 10.5+) will crash Jedi Academy as well as other old games which rely on old OpenGL (this is the graphics library used for 3D rendering) functionality. Newer games which rely on OpenGL shoudn't be affected as they will use the newer functionality. After searching through the ATI forums, I came across a fix which works (this particular topic). So here it is:
  1. Go to the driver download selection page at the ATI website: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
  2. Select the options which suit your graphics card, and then click Display Results.
  3. Under the heading which starts ATI Catalyst™ 10.6 Suite for..., click the Previous Drivers link.
  4. Click Catalyst 10.4.
  5. Download the Display Driver (downloading the Full Software Suite also works, but the Display Driver download is slightly smaller )
  6. Run the installer, and make a note of where the ATI install files will be extracted to. By default it will be C:\ATI.
  7. Wait for the files to extract, and on the next window (should be the Catalyst Install Manager), click Cancel to cancel the installation.
  8. Go to the directory you wrote down earlier, where the install files were extracted, and navigate into the Support directory, and then the directory which begins 10-4_.
  9. Navigate into the Packages/Drivers directory.
  10. Keep entering the first (and only) directory visible until there are no more directories to enter. For me, this was C:\ATI\Support\10-4_vista64_win7_64_dd\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A _INF\B_98282 (for a Windows 7 64-bit driver).
  11. Find the file atioglxx.dl_, and copy this file to your Jedi Academy's GameData directory.
  12. Copy and paste the below batch script into a file called atifix.bat, and save it to the GameData folder.
    Code:
    expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll
    Alternatively, you can run the command directly from the command prompt, and skip the last step.
  13. Run the atifix.bat file.
If you have any problems, just reply to this topic and hopefully I or someone else can help.

JACoders | JKGalaxies | JAPhys Mod (Videos: 1 2 3)

Last edited by XycaleTh; 07-05-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added original source for fix
XycaleTh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
DarthSlinky
Rookie

Current Game: Starcraft II
Yeah I noticed that, pity AMD doesn't pay attention to the older games.

If I downgrade will it ruin compatibility with newer openGL games (portal, hl2, ext.)?

Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.
DarthSlinky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
This looks like he's only downloading the old driver to get one dll and then that's only in your JA folder, so it shouldn't affect anything else i believe. Not sure myself as I haven't tried this.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
DarthSlinky
Rookie

Just being safe, because my I have had driver problems with no end,. I don't want without them again.

It still doesn't work, although I may be putting it in the wrong place. Is GameData the base folder?

Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Last edited by DarthSlinky; 06-29-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
acdcfanbill

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
no, base is inside GameData

Old 06-30-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
XycaleTh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSlinky View Post
Yeah I noticed that, pity AMD doesn't pay attention to the older games.

If I downgrade will it ruin compatibility with newer openGL games (portal, hl2, ext.)?
Like acdcfanbill said, as the DLL is only in JKA's GameData folder, it's only going to affect JKA. Also, only a small handful of games use OpenGL nowadays (mainly games running on the iD Tech engines like ET:QW, Prey, Q4, etc). The rest of the games like Portal and HL2, use DirectX.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
DarthSlinky
Rookie

Ok just making sure it would have no effect.

Although I thought Valve ported all its games to OpenGL so that they could run on macs

Old 06-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
XycaleTh
Rookie

On Windows, Source games still use DirectX. It's only on the Macs do they use OpenGL.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
DarthSlinky
Rookie

Then why did AMD (ATI) update their OpenGL, is their any Windows game that uses it?

Old 07-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
XycaleTh
Rookie

As I said earlier, games which run on the iD Tech engines, like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Prey, they use OpenGL. A lot of indie game developers also choose to use OpenGL because it works on other operating systems. ATI have to update their OpenGL to keep up with the newest OpenGL versions. Not updating, would be like continuing to use DirectX 8 when the latest version is DirectX 11. Keep in mind it's not only games that use the graphics card, so they can't just drop support for something which is widely used by other software.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
DarthSlinky
Rookie

You should include the link to the original thread in the first post:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...&enterthread=y

Old 07-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
XycaleTh
Rookie

Done Too bad I can't fix the topic title :/

Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
acdcfanbill

This the title you want? pm me if it's not right.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #14
BucMan55

Well, this seemed pretty promising since after downloading the game from Direct2Drive I kept getting a basic crash with the initial JA screen. This didnt seem to help me much. I notice that my base folder has the 4 assets files in .pak format. Wondering if this is causing the issue with the game.

Vista 64 etc, tried administrator, XP SP2 mode, etc....no luck to get the game going. I am thinking the game just wasnt unpacked properly using their executable.

Edit: Was able to download on a cpu with Windows XP and the game ran fine. So obviously its a Vista issue. Trouble is, I had the game a couple years ago but the game CD was destroyed. It worked previously on this cpu.

Go Buccaneers!!!

"I don't know, I'm making this up as I go!"
BucMan55 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
acdcfanbill

.pak and not .pk3?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:45 AM   #16
BucMan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcfanbill View Post
.pak and not .pk3?
Yeah, oops my mistake. But on the XP computer that it is also installed on its the same way in the base folder, and it runs fine. Vista really sucks some times....

Go Buccaneers!!!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
BucMan55

OK apparently I get an error saying can't open output file atioglxx.dll whenever I execute the .bat or from the command prompt. Apparently this is the problem I am having. Any ideas on what is causing an error?

Edit: Haha apparently you can run command prompt in administrator mode and now it worked. Lets see how this goes.

Edit 2: OK now that I have the proper .dll file the game is working. Now to get the 16/9 and dismemberment going. So this is a good fix for ATI users.....when it's implemented correctly.

Go Buccaneers!!!

Last edited by BucMan55; 08-20-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #18
acdcfanbill

if it doesnt list 16:9 rez for you to choose from, you can set the resolution manually using hte console (shift + ~) using these commands one at a time.

r_mode -1
r_customwidth 1280
r_customheight 720

vid_restart

you can use w/e rez you want, i just chose a common 16:9 one.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #19
Navrez
Rookie

where is the atifix.bat file located ?
Navrez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
acdcfanbill

you have to make it. make a new text file and then rename it to atifix.bat

Old 08-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #21
failinginplace
Lurker

I followed all of these steps listed above and still crash out. however i am doing this for Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast, should it work the same way as JK:JA as you are referring to here?
failinginplace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #22
failinginplace
Lurker

ok NM i figured it all out. the issue was that the bat file was not working properly for me, so i had to go into cmd prompt and force expand the file that way, and then had to go find the newly expanded .dll in the system folder and move it over. but both Jedi Outcast and Academy games work great now. i'm very grateful that I found a thread on this as there's not a ton of info floating around about the problem unless you look very hard.

Last edited by failinginplace; 08-25-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: solved the issue
failinginplace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #23
tangomango
Lurker

Awesome fix!

This does NOT work for multiplayer though, does it? I get the same crash when I load the jk2mp
tangomango is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #24
cR1Me09
Lurker

i just did all of this; downloaded ati driver and added the dl_ file to the game directory. but i don't understand the part about the .bat file. how do i force expand it? it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out.. and yes, i'm doing this for jedi outcast 2
cR1Me09 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #25
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
You type what he told you to into notepad, and name it what he told you to, then run it. Bat files are really fairly straight forward.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #26
acdcfanbill

you could always open a command window and navigate to where atioglxx.dl_ is (jk2 folder if you put it there) and then run the expand command in the cmd window manually.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #27
cR1Me09
Lurker

Ok it works now. thanks a bunch
cR1Me09 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #28
tangomango
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
You type what he told you to into notepad, and name it what he told you to, then run it. Bat files are really fairly straight forward.
Quote:
you could always open a command window and navigate to where atioglxx.dl_ is (jk2 folder if you put it there) and then run the expand command in the cmd window manually.
any idea why it won't work on MP but work on SP?

I can't remember correctly, but there was always only one CD right? Not two CDs for SP and MP. Also, I see a JK2SP config file, but not a MP one.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #29
-=*Raz0r*=-
Rookie

It will work for both SP/MP.
Quote:
When a program tries to load a module/library (Such as a graphics driver), unless an absolute path is provided, it will first look in the 'current working directory' (ie: next to jamp.exe), then in the system root directory.
In short, you can just place (the 'expand'ed) "atioglxx.dll" next to jamp.exe and JA will run with the Catalyst 10.4 driver whilst other applications are free to use whatever the installed driver is (Which resides in the system root)
-=*Raz0r*=- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #30
acdcfanbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomango View Post
any idea why it won't work on MP but work on SP?

I can't remember correctly, but there was always only one CD right? Not two CDs for SP and MP. Also, I see a JK2SP config file, but not a MP one.
Yep, only one CD, also, the MP config file prob won't get created until jk2mp runs successfully for the first time i think. anyways, it's called jk2mpconfig.cfg if you want to create one, otherwise just put stuff in a file called autoexec.cfg and it will be run when jk2 starts no matter what.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #31
Salk
Rookie

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Hello!

I followed all steps and I still get the crash. The difference is that the crash happens even before the loading screen is loaded and that the crash report ModName has now "atioglxx.dll" instead of "unknown" which I get otherwise.

I am running Catalyst 10.9.

Any advice?
Salk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #32
XycaleTh
Rookie

It seems like this fix doesn't work for ATI Catalyst 10.9+ if you are running Windows XP. The only thing I can suggest is to keep your driver at 10.8. =/

Old 10-17-2010, 04:27 AM   #33
tangomango
Lurker

Quote:
Yep, only one CD, also, the MP config file prob won't get created until jk2mp runs successfully for the first time i think. anyways, it's called jk2mpconfig.cfg if you want to create one, otherwise just put stuff in a file called autoexec.cfg and it will be run when jk2 starts no matter what.
I'm not following ya.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143598/jk2.png

Autoexec.cfg, jk2config.cfg, and jk2configmp.cfg are all teh SAME files, with different names obviously. I just made the files hoping MP would load.

With all of this, I'm still getting the force close error. Also, when I click ok on the error, my desktop colors are extremely bright...

Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried by naming it jk2mpconfig.cfg and it didn't work...

EDIT2: I just tried putting all those files in the base folder, still nothing...

Last edited by tangomango; 10-17-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #34
acdcfanbill

those .cfg files need to be in the base folder

delete all of them except autoexec.cfg and open autoexec.cfg with notepad, type every setting you want, one on each line, save it, then start jk2mp.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:16 AM   #35
g0dFather
Rookie

Post Problem solved! (tested on 10.11 drivers)

Hey gang! Check out my fix here.

Tested on Windows XP x86 with a Radeon HD 3850 AGP running Catalyst 10.11 drivers, and on Windows 7 x64 with a Radeon HD 4870 PCIe running Catalyst 10.11 drivers. Both were a success!
g0dFather is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #36
DarkSykes
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dFather View Post
Hey gang! Check out my fix here.

Tested on Windows XP x86 with a Radeon HD 3850 AGP running Catalyst 10.11 drivers, and on Windows 7 x64 with a Radeon HD 4870 PCIe running Catalyst 10.11 drivers. Both were a success!
I have Radeon HD 6870 on Win 7x64 Ultimate Running CAT 10.10e , without using any of the ati fixes because they didnt work for me.. i renamed my jk2mp.exe to quake3.exe and the game works perfectly. Go figure. enjoy if it works.. good luck..
DarkSykes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #37
D.a.r.t.h
Rookie

Current Game: The elder scrolls IV Oblivion
I can´t find step 3 and 4 on the website! Just this http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...win7-64.aspx#1 Help! I can´t play this game on my windows 7 x64 notebook.
D.a.r.t.h is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #38
g0dFather
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.r.t.h View Post
I can´t find step 3 and 4 on the website! Just this http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...win7-64.aspx#1 Help! I can´t play this game on my windows 7 x64 notebook.
Try this fix and please post your results.
http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206018
Old 01-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #39
D.a.r.t.h
Rookie

Current Game: The elder scrolls IV Oblivion
I tried that a few days ago and got an error message saying "could not load OpenGl system blahblahsomething" . I´m screwed! I have to go to my old family PC with win XP to play this game. And a few games including this+ assaultcube and age of empires 2 are showing on a 4:3 screen format. Whatever it´s called
D.a.r.t.h is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #40
g0dFather
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.r.t.h View Post
I tried that a few days ago and got an error message saying "could not load OpenGl system blahblahsomething" . I´m screwed! I have to go to my old family PC with win XP to play this game. And a few games including this+ assaultcube and age of empires 2 are showing on a 4:3 screen format. Whatever it´s called
In another forum thread, one person said that my fix didn't work but this one did --> http://www.filefront.com/17248996/atioglxx10_4.rar. Do you remember if you've tried this one?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > Crash Fix For Catalyst 10.5+