lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #241
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
it's more like to "Ultimate Classic Version Builder".
Good idea. I think, I will use that name for the next version.
Unless someone has an even better suggestion.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #242
JezzaTheLagomorph
Rookie

Just a suggestion, can you put in an option to not use the close-up of Spiffy the dog? It sorta looks out of place, since it was from the EGA version.
JezzaTheLagomorph is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #243
whaleyland
Rookie

"Ultimate Classic Version Builder" suggests that this is less than it actually is. I suggest something more along the lines of "Reverse SCUMM Edition" or "Ultimate Talkie Edition". Basically something that emphasizes the new "talkie" feature, the new "ultimate" additions, and the reversion of the Special Edition to the original SCUMM edition.

I got it, "The Secret of Monkey Island: The Monkeys are Speaking Edition".
whaleyland is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #244
whaleyland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezzaTheLagomorph View Post
Just a suggestion, can you put in an option to not use the close-up of Spiffy the dog? It sorta looks out of place, since it was from the EGA version.
I like the addition of Spiffy but I think the image could be a bit better quality. Were any other versions of Spiffy produced other than the EGA version? It does look very pixilated compared to the other graphics.
whaleyland is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #245
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleyland View Post
I like the addition of Spiffy but I think the image could be a bit better quality.
If anyone can provide a better one, please do so. Here are some guidelines:
- It should stay true to the original intention, of course.
- The image should include Guybrush.
- The image must be in 256 color format.
- The image may use any color palette, as long as it doesn't use the first 16 colors.
- The image size must be either 320x144 or 320x200. (which is approximately 16:9 or 4:3, ie. pixels aren't square)

Also very welcome would be MIDI versions of the cannibal music and of the hijack scene.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #246
DisapprovingOwl
Rookie

This is absolutely brilliant - played through the latest version today and it's astounding how polished it all is. I didn't encounter any bugs with the speech; it's great to hear that the voice files now appear to all be correctly linked to the relevant dialogue. Improvements such as restoring extra details and effects from the EGA and VGA floppy versions, and fixing artwork errors, is much appreciated too. This is truly Monkey Island as I'd never played it before!

A couple of questions & suggestions:

- Remove the slight camera pan before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy in the Scumm Bar. The game doesn't do this for any of the pirates you can talk to in the bar, and it just comes off as a little weird and unprofessional looking. I'd recommend just cutting straight to the dissolve-in of the close-up, like with the pirates.

- As said, the Spiffy close-up being a modified scan just looks weird, as it's nowhere near as sharp as the other images. I see you're interested in improving this if people are willing to redraw this, so I'll see if I can have a crack at it and post the results. I'd probably give it an orange background to be consistent with the other Scumm Bar images though, since if a VGA version of the image had existed, it probably would have done this anyway. AFAIK, the only reason the current image has a black BG is that all EGA Scumm Bar closeups had a black BG.

- If you notice, in the Scumm Bar close-ups the perspective we see Guybrush from takes into account his height in relation to the position of the patron he's talking to. With this in mind, making Guybrush kneel down (use his 'picking item up from floor' animation) just before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy would better match the close-up, since otherwise the dog is so small that Guybrush's leg should be what's visible in the close-up rather than his head. Even then, since the dog is so small in relation to him, the angle we see him from should be closer to the angle used in Estevan's close-up, rather than the one currently used. If this was done, you'd also need to add him standing back up when cutting back to the bar after finishing talking to Spiffy.

- Since you've been restoring effects and details that were lost in the VGA version, would you be open to making the one-eyed pirate Estevan's eyes dart around when he talks about LeChuck, as in the EGA version? I realise this would require new art, but I'd be willing to have a crack at it if you'd be interested in putting it in. Of course, I'd need screengrabs from the EGA version, for reference regarding how many new frames would be needed and the different positions his eyes would need to be in for each one.

- Is it possible to make the candles in the Scumm Bar kitchen flicker, as they did in the MI1 EGA demo (mentioned on this page)? If so, it might also be an idea to make the candles above the Three Important-Looking Pirates flicker too for consistency.

- Is it possible to combine each of the audio files of Fred (the fat Man of Moral Fiber) in pain with a sound effect of him being hit? Since these only seem to play when he's hit, I don't think this would create any issues, and would help 'sell' the effect more.

- Don't remember if the SE did this, but using the ambient "music" track from the regular version of the docks on Mêlée as the default music on the close-up version (used when Fester tries to kill Guybrush/Elaine tries to save him/LeChuck kidnaps Elaine/Guybrush arrives back on Mêlée, etc.) would add consistency, as it'd mean whenever you're on the docks you'd be able to hear the ocean. Though I'd only recommend doing this if the the music which plays at some points in these scenes would still play at the correct points (e.g. the 'romance' music that comes in while talking with Elaine, or the cue that plays as LeChuck's ship sails off).

- When the Narrator is switched on, is it possible to make the voice file for the Voodoo Soup recipe in Part 2 only play the first time you look at it? I had to keep checking the recipe at various points to see which items to put in, and hearing the voice file every single time I checked it quickly got annoying.

- I know the lines have not been recorded, but are there any voice files in MI1:SE or MI2:SE which would make an acceptable substitute for the un-voiced noises Guybrush makes when he's waking up after making the voodoo soup in Part 2? I'm thinking at least a couple of the more distressed-sounding noises he makes when failing to talk to Elaine earlier in the game might possibly be suitable.

- While being punched across Mêlée by LeChuck, Guybrush doesn't scream as he flies through the air. This would be possible by combining the punch and scream sounds into a single unique sound used for this scene.

- After defeating LeChuck, his body makes a water splashing sound when it collapses to the ground and disappears. Again, I haven't played the SE in a while - is this really the correct sound effect?

Finally, I know this isn't currently a priority, but when this CD Talkie Edition officially reaches a 100% completed version, how easy would it be to modify it to create a version that removes any dialogue that has no corresponding voice files? I realise that the current version is intended as a "completist's version" of the game and that many people would not be interested in a slightly "inferior" version content-wise, but it'd be nice to also have a "fully-voiced" version to use to introduce people to the series without having to worry about missing lines of dialogue souring their experience. The only major changes I can see that would be needed would be re-removing the Stump Joke, removing Carla's one un-voiced insult, and maybe altering the game logic when haggling with Stan to use only values with corresponding audio (I think this was mentioned as an issue - I didn't actually encounter any un-voiced lines on my playthrough today, though).

Either way, this is an awesome project and I can't wait for the final polishing to be done to turn this into a 100% definitive version of Monkey Island 1. I'll get working on my take on the Spiffy close-up as soon as I have some time; will post it when it's done to see if it's good enough to use. = ) Keep up the good work, LogicDeluxe!

Last edited by DisapprovingOwl; 08-29-2010 at 02:35 PM.
DisapprovingOwl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #247
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisapprovingOwl View Post
- Remove the slight camera pan before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy in the Scumm Bar.
Good point. Indeed, the panning doesn't serve a purpose anymore.
Quote:
- If you notice, in the Scumm Bar close-ups the perspective we see Guybrush from takes into account his height in relation to the position of the patron he's talking to. With this in mind, making Guybrush kneel down (use his 'picking item up from floor' animation) just before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy would better match the close-up, since otherwise the dog is so small that Guybrush's leg should be what's visible in the close-up rather than his head.
The animation should be easy to implement. In the SE graphics, we see Guybrush's feet. I think, both can work, if the perspective is right.
Quote:
- Is it possible to make the candles in the Scumm Bar kitchen flicker, as they did in the MI1 EGA demo (mentioned on this page)? If so, it might also be an idea to make the candles above the Three Important-Looking Pirates flicker too for consistency.
I'm aware of this. I'll ask SimSaw if we can do this with the current tools.
Quote:
- Is it possible to combine each of the audio files of Fred (the fat Man of Moral Fiber) in pain with a sound effect of him being hit?
It's on my todo list.
Quote:
- Don't remember if the SE did this, but using the ambient "music" track from the regular version of the docks on Mle as the default music on the close-up version (used when Fester tries to kill Guybrush/Elaine tries to save him/LeChuck kidnaps Elaine/Guybrush arrives back on Mle, etc.) would add consistency, as it'd mean whenever you're on the docks you'd be able to hear the ocean. Though I'd only recommend doing this if the the music which plays at some points in these scenes would still play at the correct points (e.g. the 'romance' music that comes in while talking with Elaine, or the cue that plays as LeChuck's ship sails off).
Should be possible. I'll consider it.
Quote:
- When the Narrator is switched on, is it possible to make the voice file for the Voodoo Soup recipe in Part 2 only play the first time you look at it? I had to keep checking the recipe at various points to see which items to put in, and hearing the voice file every single time I checked it quickly got annoying.
You might just hit the "."-key to skip his text. Also, you really could just put everything in the pot. This is a foolproof recipe.
Quote:
- I know the lines have not been recorded, but are there any voice files in MI1:SE or MI2:SE which would make an acceptable substitute for the un-voiced noises Guybrush makes when he's waking up after making the voodoo soup in Part 2? I'm thinking at least a couple of the more distressed-sounding noises he makes when failing to talk to Elaine earlier in the game might possibly be suitable.
I don't think that they exactly fit the mood. I'd rather not use any MI2:SE sounds, as this would make that game a requirement too, which would be overkill.
Quote:
- While being punched across Mle by LeChuck, Guybrush doesn't scream as he flies through the air. This would be possible by combining the punch and scream sounds into a single unique sound used for this scene.
I suppose, I could do this.
Quote:
- After defeating LeChuck, his body makes a water splashing sound when it collapses to the ground and disappears. Again, I haven't played the SE in a while - is this really the correct sound effect?
I once heard it in some version which had a sound here (most don't). I think, I'll change it to 100_Ghost_Die.wav, though.
Quote:
Finally, I know this isn't currently a priority, but when this CD Talkie Edition officially reaches a 100% completed version, how easy would it be to modify it to create a version that removes any dialogue that has no corresponding voice files? I realise that the current version is intended as a "completist's version" of the game and that many people would not be interested in a slightly "inferior" version content-wise, but it'd be nice to also have a "fully-voiced" version to use to introduce people to the series without having to worry about missing lines of dialogue souring their experience.
I think, a separate version is a bit over the top. A boot param could be implemented to switch those scenes off. Would that serve your needs?
Quote:
and maybe altering the game logic when haggling with Stan to use only values with corresponding audio (I think this was mentioned as an issue - I didn't actually encounter any un-voiced lines on my playthrough today, though).
There is a perfect system behind Stan's price ideas. There is no easy fix to cover all possible voice files. I could improve the coverage a lot by only allowing selecting 2000 as the first offer, though. This would eliminate any price ideas above 10000 at least (which all have no voice file), but also might seem strange to only have one option available at first.

And some news:
- I managed to convert MIDI to Adlib. Normally, I'd say, there is still room for tweaking, but unfortunately, I'd have to rewrite the tool to do so. I accidentally damaged some of them in progress. While they sound different to the floppy version, I think, they are quite listenable as I got them now. Due to a completely different sound engine in SCUMM V5, they probably never will sound exactly the same anyways. Hear for yourself in the upcoming version.
- The other lost is my tool to calculate the voice file offsets and create the voices.tbl file used by the build_monster tool. In order to support flac, mp3 and ogg vorbis, and without resampling, I need native file offsets included in that file, so the current version does not work anymore. I have to rewrite that tool.
- Anyway, a few more tweaks and bug fixes in the game are already done, and project credits will be added. The remaining sound problems in native DOS should be fixed too. A few sounds will remain only available in ScummVM, though, due to missing polyphony in native SCUMM V5.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #248
DisapprovingOwl
Rookie

Thanks for trawling through my epic wall of text and replying so comprehensively, LogicDeluxe! = ) Will skip anything you've just said you can/will do or that's on your to-do list and just offer the following couple of extra comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicDeLuxe View Post
The animation should be easy to implement. In the SE graphics, we see Guybrush's feet. I think, both can work, if the perspective is right.
Good to hear that it'd be easy to implement if necessary. Still, it's probably not worth worrying about until you have a "final" version of the Spiffy close-up that you're happy with, as if the close-up used shows Guybrush's leg rather than his head then it's not worth implementing the extra animation of him kneeling. I'll see whether leg or head looks better when I get to that part of my attempt at redrawing it. = )

Quote:
You might just hit the "."-key to skip his text.
Ah, good point; I thought doing that would skip the screen entirely, so I hadn't tried it. It does indeed work. = ) Never mind, then.

Quote:
I don't think that they exactly fit the mood. I'd rather not use any MI2:SE sounds, as this would make that game a requirement too, which would be overkill.
Yeah, I get what you mean about the sounds I mentioned; they were just the first thing I thought of off the top of my head. Also, good call on saying no to MI2 sounds - I hadn't considered that that would make MI2:SE a requirement too, which would be prohibitive to those who only own the original MI:SE.

Quote:
I think, a separate version is a bit over the top. A boot param could be implemented to switch those scenes off. Would that serve your needs?
That would be even better actually; I didn't even consider you'd be able to make something like that a boot param. Only other thing I'd mention is that, if you couldn't find any suitable sounds within MI:SE for Guybrush's un-voiced noises in Part 2, that they also be removed as a part of this boot param.

Quote:
There is a perfect system behind Stan's price ideas. There is no easy fix to cover all possible voice files. I could improve the coverage a lot by only allowing selecting 2000 as the first offer, though. This would eliminate any price ideas above 10000 at least (which all have no voice file), but also might seem strange to only have one option available at first.
Ah, didn't realise it was so complicated, not having seen the system behind it. I must admit, I've never personally got a price over 10,000, so I didn't even know it went up that high! From what you've said, it sounds like the price system would need to be rebuilt almost from the ground up to work only with the voiced lines, which would be far too much time and effort that could be put into better things. = ) Since any changes to this bit would only be part of an alternative boot param, and from the sounds of it still wouldn't fix the issue entirely, I'd say do whatever you feel is best on this one.

Will stop clogging up this topic with my feedback now; my next post should hopefully be the first version of my take on the Spiffy close-up, which doubtless will need some refinement. = )
DisapprovingOwl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 AM   #249
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Another idea popped up, for which I could need help:
Are there any talented voice impersonators around here?
Since we have some missing lines for Carla, Guybrush, the narrator and Stan.
- Carly needs 3 lines added. Most important, the missing insult.
- For Guybrush, it is the stump joke and the noises he makes when lying on the kitchen floor on the Sea Monkey.
- The narrator should read "Deep in the Caribbean", "The Isle of Melee", to be consistent with other announced locations.
- Stan is missing a bunch of price ideas. If a talented Stan is found, I would make a list of all price ideas possible and order it to the missing ones. As I use sox as a tool, I also could splice just the new numbers into the original recording, if it turns out right. We would need the voice acting in any case, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisapprovingOwl View Post
That would be even better actually; I didn't even consider you'd be able to make something like that a boot param.
One catch, though: While it is really just a command line parameter in ScummVM, it is not that simple to use in DOS. You have to enter debug mode in order to use it. Most SCUMM versions let you just enter a number on the command line, but the talkie enabled SCUMM V5 unfortunately doesn't.

The alternative would be a keyboard shortcut. How is that? On the downside, you would have to activate this mode after you started the game rather than immediately. Just like the narrator mode. On the other hand, if you change your mind, you could toggle it any time.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #250
JezzaTheLagomorph
Rookie

Would this work?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #251
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:

Would this work?
That looks almost usable to me.

The background gradient should use Bayer dithering to be consistent with the other closeups. (Very noticeable at the Loom guy)

And Guybrush's leg seems odd. It could use a bit more diameter at the bottom end, I guess. And some dithering too. Any type which fits, as there really is no consistency to break with that.

And of course, his pants and shoes should be dark gray instead of blue.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #252
OzzieMonkey
Rookie

One thing that would be really awesome would be to make a Curse-like graphic version of the game with voices, and make that run in ScummVM. Maybe even do that with Monkey 2? Hey, a guy can dream, right? Oh,and LogicDeluxe, I have some audition files for the I Wonder What Happened flash that's going on within the Telltale forums, here you go http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9TNNGOZZ http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RDHYV7GI http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8I4S0GK0
OzzieMonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #253
JezzaTheLagomorph
Rookie

Well I fixed the leg width and the pants/shoe colour, but I don't know how to dither the background or the leg. Sorry.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #254
LeChuck Norris
Rookie

My sugestion:
or
256 colors

ScummBR Translations
http://www.scummbr.com

Last edited by LeChuck Norris; 08-31-2010 at 03:35 PM.
LeChuck Norris is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #255
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:

Well I fixed the leg width and the pants/shoe colour, but I don't know how to dither the background or the leg. Sorry.
I managed to do that. 239 colors used.

The background colors are copied from Mancomb and use the right dithering.
Or should the gradient a bit stronger like this?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #256
LeChuck Norris
Rookie

It's very good the second one! But I think Spiffy is very queezed/crushed :S

Use this PNG with transparence to reedit the colours:

ScummBR Translations
Old 08-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #257
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Well, it's correct that the image is squashed, since the game runs at a non-square pixel resolution of 320x200, so the image gets stretched when played. Your Spiffy would seem a bit longer-faced ingame

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #258
Aububuh
Rookie

I'm having a problem, and I can't get it to run properly.
I downloaded the patch, followed the instructions, finished the program, then tried to run the game with ScummVm. I opened the game folder as usual, and it said "ScummVm could not find any game in specified directory." I looked at the game folder, and saw that it was missing the monkey1.000 and monkey1.001 files, and that was probably the problem. Just to try it, I copied the files from my normal CD copy of MI1 into the talkie folder, then running ScummVm, but of course that made the game just play without the patch.

Could you help me with this? I really want to get it to work.

Aububuh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #259
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck Norris View Post
Use this PNG with transparence to reedit the colours:
Like this?

I thickened the leg here, though it still looks a bit thin with the proper aspect ratio. Doing it any thicker makes the shoe seem out of place somehow.
Anyway, the transparent edges were very helpful indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aububuh View Post
Could you help me with this? I really want to get it to work.
Did you get any error message when running the patch?
Well, you might missed it between all those texts. My next version checks some error levels and pauses the processing when errors are detected, so you can read the messages properly.
What files are there in the folder? That list might give me an idea what's wrong.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #260
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Now the dog is going to be stretched. He needs to be squished again.

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #261
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
Now the dog is going to be stretched. He needs to be squished again.
If I could have a PNG with transparent edges with the appropriate aspect ratio, I'll redo it just like this.
Maybe, we should use a slightly different frame, so that we don't have the left edge of Guybrush's leg to bother with, and at the same time, the dog would be slightly less cut off.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #262
LeChuck Norris
Rookie

LeChuck's mugshot:

ScummBR Translations

Last edited by LeChuck Norris; 08-31-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #263
Aububuh
Rookie

I also forgot to mention that I've run the setup 3 times now, and it always produces the same results. The first time with the last version, the other two with this one.

Anyway, the contents of the folder MI1_CD_Talkie_Version are:

readme (text)
monster.sou
ADLIB.IMS
gmidi.ims
monkey.exe
ROL_330.IMS
ROL_332.IMS
ROL_334.IMS
ROL_336.IMS
SPEAKER.IMS
cd_music (folder)
se_music (folder)

I hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #264
LeChuck Norris
Rookie

Quote:
LeChuck's mugshot:
Just a sugestion... if possible to implement

View page
YouTube Video

ScummBR Translations
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #265
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Just a sugestion... if possible to implement
Probably possible. But I don't think this really fits for several reasons.
- The story is told from Guybrush's point of view, which makes a closeup rather out of place here.
- The style doesn't really fit. Other closeups are more photo realistic, while this one is an obvious drawing.
- The colors don't match. The entire face is off and that bright coat looks more like Bob's then LeChuck's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aububuh View Post
I also forgot to mention that I've run the setup 3 times now, and it always produces the same results.
What version of MI1SE do you have?
What happens, if you run extract_classic.exe inside the tools folder?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #266
Krasas
Rookie

Current Game: Tales of MI
LogicDeLuxe, are we allowed to "transport" a fan-made localized version of the classic Monkey Island to your CD Talkie Edition?

Credits would of-course be kept as they are, and our work would be released only as a binary patch for the resulting resource files MONKEY.000 and MONKEY.001, to be applied on top of your setup batch file.
Krasas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #267
JezzaTheLagomorph
Rookie

Just a test, this is what the first version (my version) would look with the correct aspect ratio next to the second version (LeChuck Norris') (both edited by LogicDeLuxe)

My version isn't stretched, but LeChuck Norris' one looks smoother due to the anti-aliasing.

EDIT: The reason Spiffy is squeezed/crushed is because SCUMM games were rendered at a different aspect ratio than they were to be displayed, meaning the 16:10 image was to be stretched vertically to 4:3.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #268
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

How about this one?

Edit: This is what it will look in game:

Last edited by LogicDeLuxe; 09-01-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #269
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasas View Post
LogicDeLuxe, are we allowed to "transport" a fan-made localized version of the classic Monkey Island to your CD Talkie Edition?
No problem. You should wait with that for the final version, though.

A German version is planned as well and will be likely available at http://la-patches.gandimann.de/ eventually.

Some scripts were even altered to be more localization friendly.
Also, toggling narrator support is there for "Deep in the Caribbean", "The Isle of Melee". It just needs a voice files.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #270
Krasas
Rookie

Current Game: Tales of MI
Quote:
No problem. You should wait with that for the final version, though.
Excellent I have been doing some successful tests with the current version, but of-course I'll wait for the final version to work on that. Many thanks!
Krasas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #271
LeChuck Norris
Rookie

One more sugestion: Put the sound track of the Monkey4 in the mute scenes of the game.

To illustrate, I did this video:

View page
YouTube Video

PS.: Ignore the brazilian translations in the scenes.

I remember that exist a program that export and convert the Monkey4's .m4b files to MP3... but I don't have it anymore...

But I did the video with the sound track that i found here: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com

ScummBR Translations
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #272
Aububuh
Rookie

I figured out the problem. I had previously extracted some other stuff from the source files, and the .pak file was extracted to standard folders, and I had a .pak named Copy of Monkey1.pak. I just renamed this to Monkey1.pak, and it worked just fine. At least, it's something like that.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #273
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
But I did the video with the sound track that i found here: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com
I won't make stuff from other Monkey Island games a requirement. Of course, you could just replace the existing tracks with whatever you want. I know, that won't be much, but this is not in the scope of this project. The under water environment track will be probably in the next version too.

Nice ships in the background of the Scumm Bar, though.
Can I have that image? If I can figure out a way, I'd like to have them as objects, so they appear there at the beginning of the game, and later can be removed when all the customers are gone.
Are there more altered graphics not seen in the video (other then changed texts)?

What tools did you use to encode those images?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #274
cocomonk22
Rookie

Quote:
How about this one?

Edit: This is what it will look in game:
The position of the shoe makes it seem Guybrush is on a higher platform than Spiffy, or Spiffy has really short legs, especially if you compare the Guybrush and Spiffy sprites. Not sure if this can be adjusted much since the design of the top of Guybrush's shoe is a little odd.
cocomonk22 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #275
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonk22 View Post
The position of the shoe makes it seem Guybrush is on a higher platform than Spiffy, or Spiffy has really short legs, especially if you compare the Guybrush and Spiffy sprites. Not sure if this can be adjusted much since the design of the top of Guybrush's shoe is a little odd.
Indeed, cutting the shoe any further looks silly. The Guybrush custom sprite is too small to cut out a higher part if his body, despite the HD nature. The alternative would be just using the dog without any part of Guybrush.
How about this:
Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #276
cocomonk22
Rookie

I really think it needs to include Guybrush, or at least his leg...

Here I extended the leg upward a bit based on the graphic first posted by JezzaTheLagomorph, so you probably need to adjust the proportion and size a little.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #277
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

For leg alterations, please use this as a base and keep it full size:

I can integrate it much smoother when resizing it from a highres image.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #278
cocomonk22
Rookie

OK, how's this?

Last edited by cocomonk22; 09-04-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #279
Scummbuddy

It is so good, it could be given out as a "Major Award"!

Scummbuddy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #280
LeChuck Norris
Rookie

Quote:
I won't make stuff from other Monkey Island games a requirement. Of course, you could just replace the existing tracks with whatever you want. I know, that won't be much, but this is not in the scope of this project. The under water environment track will be probably in the next version too.

Nice ships in the background of the Scumm Bar, though.
Can I have that image? If I can figure out a way, I'd like to have them as objects, so they appear there at the beginning of the game, and later can be removed when all the customers are gone.
Are there more altered graphics not seen in the video (other then changed texts)?

What tools did you use to encode those images?

The old and new version of the dock.

1) Ok, I got it. But in this project, sometimes the track is the same in some places. Is it possible to put different tracks for different places in the next version of your project? And if so, can you show me the way to make this by miself?

I made a quick list of twenty tracks that repeat and/or are mute.

NEWS TRACKs
30. SCUMM BAR's Kitchen
31. Store (MI4 26. Bait Shop)
32. Empty Church
33. Circus Outside
34. Troll Bridge (MI4 38. The Swamp)
34. Ship Emporium when Stan is not there
35. Smirk's House Outside (MI4 16. The Harbor)
36. Smirk's House Inside
37. Meathook's House Outside (MI4 17. Outside Meathook's)
38. Meathook's House Inside (MI4 B03. Meathook's)
39. Mansion Outside (MI4 09. Outside the Governor's Mansion)
40. Mansion Inside (MI4 10. Inside the Governor's Mansion)
41. Mansion Fight Scene
42. Guybrush on Underwater (MI4 B07. The Knuttin Atoll)
43. Street Swordfighting
44. Carla's Swordfighting (MI4 14. Talking with Carla and Otis)
45. SCUMM BAR Empty
46. SCUMM BAR's Kitchen Empty
47. The Voodoo Curse Scene in the Ship
48. Guybrush's Monkey Island landing
49. Banana Tree and the Beachs
50. Monkey Island Fort (MI4 B24. Herman Toothrot)
51. Jojo's Jungle (MI4 B34. Meeting a Monkey in the Woods)
52. Monkey Island Pond (MI4 B24. Herman Toothrot)
53. Mountain Top (MI4 B23. Monkey Island Map)
53. Underworld (MI4 B28. The Lava Field)

To not oversize your project, my idea is to make an aditional/optional pack with those tracks.
Don't know if it's your intention to fix every single issue in the game, so...

I also made four remixes that could be used in the game: http://www.4shared.com/file/Azb9Hg2I/MI1_newSO.html

-SCUMM BAR with Pirates Talking
-SCUMM BAR's Kitchen
-Fettuccine Brothers Circus Outside
-Ship Emporium when Stan is not there

2) Well, about those images, my project is to re-do (first) just the scenes that have somekind of translation job. About this shipdeck, I was just playing around and it tourned pretty cool, so I decided to keep it. You can get it here: http://www.4shared.com/file/Yo4SGbIs/MI1_dock.html

3) And I found a issue in this version. A voice without a subtitle in the store. http://www.4shared.com/video/f--ccJhR/mi1_error1.html

ScummBR Translations
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project