lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #281
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck Norris View Post
The old and new version of the dock.
Nice work.
Quote:
Is it possible to put different tracks for different places in the next version of your project? And if so, can you show me the way to make this by miself?
You can easily define new SOUN resources for CD tracks. It is documented here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SC...v5_-_CD_tracks
Of course, you need to alter the scripts to play those you need too.
Currently, sound 179 and up are free to use. Unless I decide to implement some more sounds. I probably won't though, unless it needs to be played while the screen is scrolling, which isn't possible with monster.sou
Quote:
Don't know if it's your intention to fix every single issue in the game, so...
I don't think that I'm going to fix every architectural issue. Believable connectivity was never their strength it seems. I mainly fix obvious bugs.
Quote:
About this shipdeck, I was just playing around and it tourned pretty cool, so I decided to keep it.
Nice, but on second thought, not really in the scope of my intention. I always thought, that the dock felt too empty at the beginning. But including the ships has the opposite effect when all pirates are gone. Then it suddenly feels too cluttered.
I would consider implementing it, if I could have a version without the ships too, but with the dock in the background still there. I would prefer to keep the original Scumm Bar, though.
We could reuse the sunset object for the ships, which is still there, but not used.
Quote:
3) And I found a issue in this version. A voice without a subtitle in the store.
Thanks for pointing that out. Indeed, another script bug present in every single version of the game. I already fixed a very similar issue in the circus. It's the kind, which only gets noticed when voiced.
Btw. you don't have to make a video for bugs when they are reliable reproducible. Just note which line doesn't work properly would do.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #282
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

The Secret of Monkey Island - Ultimate Talkie Edition Project V0.9 beta: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0I4TKF6T

- Ultimate Talkie Edition Project credits added.
- Adlib Soundtrack added.
- FLAC and Ogg Vorbis support for highest quality in ScummVM.
- Removed the panning when talking to Spiffy in closeup modes, since it doesn't serve a purpose here.
- Ram leak when interrupting playing sounds. (v0.6 beta)
- "<ADVERTISEMENT>" broken when stump joke or death joke was presented first. (v0.8 beta)
- Using alt-w causes a script error during the intro sequence. (v0.8 beta)
- Scumm Bar does not scroll after going through all Spiffy dialog. (v0.5 beta)
- Voodoo antiroot crate requires the tools when opening it again. (all versions)
- Voodoo antiroot crate comment "I don't see anything special about it. Except that big glowing voodoo antiroot inside.", even if Guybrush already grabbed it. (all versions)
- Improved cauldron colors in the voodoo shop. (all VGA versions)
- Storekeeper's comment on Guybrush pretending to wait tables. (all versions).
- Estevan's eye colors. Now it looks like a glas eye again. (enhanced CD)
- Estevan's fear eye animation. (all VGA versions)
- Candles at Stan's not animated. (all versions)
- Candles in the Scumm Bar kitchen are now animated as they were in the demo.
- Swordmaster invisible after showing the kidnapper's note. (v0.5 beta)
- More sound tweaking: Jail doors and chests included. And it should run fine in DOS now.
- Some more ambient tracks.
- Punch sound added to Men of Low Moral Fiber.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #283
Krasas
Rookie

Current Game: Tales of MI
Again, excellent work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicDeLuxe View Post
- Voodoo antiroot crate comment "I don't see anything special about it. Except that big glowing voodoo antiroot inside.", even if Guybrush already grabbed it. (all versions)
Is Guybrush supposed to take the whole root? I always assumed that he grabbed a small part of it.
Krasas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #284
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasas View Post
Is Guybrush supposed to take the whole root? I always assumed that he grabbed a small part of it.
I think, picking up the whole root was the point. It belongs to the cannibals, and Guybrush brings it back. And the inventory is pretty clear on that, too.

This was a pretty obvious bug, anyway. Guybrush did also say, that the crate is empty, while open.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #285
DisapprovingOwl
Rookie

Just played the new version - checked out some of the fixes etc. near the beginning of the game and I'm loving it so far! = )

Not sure whether it's still worth working on my version of the Spiffy closeup, but I'll carry on with it when I've got time - mine is scratch-drawn based on the scan of the EGA version, though I've made sure it's aspect-ratio corrected. I'm partway through altering the proportions to look a little more realistic, similar to the added realism between the original EGA portraits and the VGA ones in the original game. I've added a bone, too, as the SE did it to match the small sprite in the SCUMM bar and I think it makes sense. I haven't had much time to work on it for a few days though, so at present it only has very basic shading. If anyone thinks they can replicate the shading style used on the VGA portraits, if you feel it'd be useful for me to post what I've got for you to mess about with then let me know, I guess.

Either way, if the current edit of the SE one is to be used (it's probably far more professional-looking than the one I'm attempting from scratch), it needs altering a little to fit in with the style of the other portraits. I'm a fan of the idea of shrinking the dog down and adding the leg back in (that way there's room for Spiffy's dialogue to appear above him rather than overlaying him), but it'll need to be modified a bit to look more like the realistic style of the other portraits - particularly the shape and texture of the tights/socks or whatever it is he wears down there on his leg. The dog's fur could also do with a little dithering to make it look a little more realistic; the only other main problem I can see is that the blood dripping off the bone doesn't entirely seem to fit the style either - it could do with redrawing, as at the moment the stylised blood looks more like some sort of web. I know some people say that the more realistic portraits clash a little with the rest of the game, but since all the others are already in that style I think it's important to make sure the Spiffy one fits in. If you reckon it'd be more productive to attempt this than to continue with my own scratch-built version, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Also, one dialogue bug I've noticed so far; while talking to Spiffy, if you choose to say "A-ROOF!" as your second dialogue choice, Spiffy will reply "A-roof?" in his own voice, but then say "Ruff" in Guybrush's voice. = S

Finally; hoping LeChuck Norris will be willing to produce a version of the dock with just the extra dock + ships added and none of the other changes; that and editing a version to remove the ships and just leave the new dock! That's one change I could get behind, as it adds a little more piratey-ness and the ships in dock have appeared in at least one official version of MI1 (the SE). = )
DisapprovingOwl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #286
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisapprovingOwl View Post
If anyone thinks they can replicate the shading style used on the VGA portraits, if you feel it'd be useful for me to post what I've got for you to mess about with then let me know, I guess.
Here is what I used:

Feel free to use it as a background. If possible, keep those colors in order, as SCUMM works more efficient that way.

Quote:
Also, one dialogue bug I've noticed so far; while talking to Spiffy, if you choose to say "A-ROOF!" as your second dialogue choice, Spiffy will reply "A-roof?" in his own voice, but then say "Ruff" in Guybrush's voice. = S
Just fixed.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #287
LeChuck Norris
Rookie

The LogicDeluxe's job is sure amazing, no doubt! He's letting both apparence of the game and experience of playing even better.

I'm hopping to see this finished soon. And btw, about the classic LeChuck's Revenge, are you planning to do the same with it in the future? (Say "yes", hehe)

About the shipdock, see below:

256 colors version + bar's door fixed can be downloaded here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/PYmQd7FR/MI1_TE_Dock.html

And about this candles, are you intended to animate it too?

ScummBR Translations
http://www.scummbr.com
LeChuck Norris is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #288
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck Norris View Post
About the shipdock, see below:
Well, does not really fit in with all those altered buildings.

I would appreciate seeing your enhancing job finished and available as an English version too, though.
I'm willing to help coding the ships object in, so that they only appear until all the pirates are gone.

Quote:
And about this candles, are you intended to animate it too?
If I can have an appropriate animation. Each candle with one alternative frame should do. That would be the way it's done in the kitchen.

The church closeup is probably much more work than this. And the correct clipping has to be implemented too, which is no issue in the Scumm Bar. No promises here.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #289
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
I don't know if this is fixable, but what always bothered me in the SE was the timing of Guybrush's head turning during the first dialogue with the Fettucini brothers. He turns his head exactly when one of the Brothers starts talking, but I think it should be delayed juuuust a tiny bit (as if they talk faster than he can react). Some timings are great though, i.e. when they introduce themselves... "That's us!" - "My brother Alfredo..." - "... and my brother Bill."

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #290
Monkey Mania

I think it's amazing that you know how to edit the code of this 20 year old game.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #291
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

I had no idea that this "CD Talkie Edition" project was actually a "Deluxe Edition" project. Wow!

Quote:
Indeed, cutting the shoe any further looks silly. The Guybrush custom sprite is too small to cut out a higher part if his body, despite the HD nature. The alternative would be just using the dog without any part of Guybrush.
How about this:
I reckon this would work wonderfully... but I have to ask -- what's with the orange background? Spiffy was always supposed to be seen against a black background. Just my 2c.

As for the more fixes: There's a bug that was introduced in the CD version that's ALWAYS irritated me, but has never been fixed. Guybrush should only progress through his "It's always 10 O'Clock" lines when he's left the clock screen and come back. You can see this on every version of the game apart from the CD one. It completely ruins the joke and I'd love to see it fixed!

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #292
Monkey Mania

While we're at it, lets add the ability to talk to all of the scumm bar patrons.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #293
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPeel2001 View Post
Guybrush should only progress through his "It's always 10 O'Clock" lines when he's left the clock screen and come back. You can see this on every version of the game apart from the CD one. It completely ruins the joke and I'd love to see it fixed!
Did you actually play this "Deluxe Edition"? It was among the first things I fixed.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #294
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Did you actually play this "Deluxe Edition"? It was among the first things I fixed.
It's very hard to figure out what's going on with this thread. I'm very glad to hear it's been fixed!

Old 09-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #295
Teeth
Rookie

Just wondering, has anyone considered replacing the backgrounds with scaled-down backgrounds from the Special Edition? It gives the game a MI2-ish look.

Here's a mockup I made:
Teeth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #296
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
It's very hard to figure out what's going on with this thread.
Just get the SE, download the patch: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0I4TKF6T
Install it and enjoy. If you notice anything wrong, just report the issue right here.

In case you (or anyone else) don't have the SE yet and wonder if it's worth buying it just for this patch, watch some actual gameplay here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBBp4KvGKU
Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #297
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
I think we're getting a little overboard with adding so much special edition content to the patch. The point from the beginning was to have the voices from the SE in the original game because people preferred the original graphics. Then it evolved into fixing bugs and adding different soundtrack possibilities. Fine. But let's not get carried away here. I mean, if you want to see the special edition just play the special edition, right?

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #298
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

The issue with low music volume in DOS is solved. No help needed anymore here. It will be in the next version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
I think we're getting a little overboard with adding so much special edition content to the patch.
I don't intend to add much special edition content anyway. Voice and sound was my intention. The soundtrack even is optional.
I didn't even add those ships at the Scumm Bar, as I already pointed out, they don't fit in this project. I like to see what other patches can do, though.

The main thing I intend to do with it now is fixing the remaining bugs, if any.
Then, I'll see if I can get an install wizard working, and I would call it final.
Things still possible: adding a final Spiffy, once we decided on any. After that, it is open for debate, if we still need the EGA scan version.
And animating the candles in the Scumm Bar and possibly in the church closeup.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #299
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

I think what you're doing is great, if all MusicallyInspired wants is the voices in the classic mode, then he's already got it. There's no harm in fixing bugs. I say go for it.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #300
Scummbuddy

I know you've been working on this for awhile, and I wasn't staying up with everything being done. I did check out the youtube demo you linked a few posts up and I am shocked by the liner notes as to all that needed to be done. I can't believe how many bugs were present. You've done a fantastic job and please keep up the great work!

Scummbuddy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #301
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Some interesting changes. I do wonder if some of the changes were deliberate by the gamemakers, though. The "the basic theory is fine" line seems ripe for cutting, as it doesn't add anything. The next line "we just need to adjust the aim" makes it clear of their thinking.

Did you re-add the "Looks kind of like an emaciated Charles Atlas" line? (They was cut for legal reasons?)

I'd actually like to play THIS version of the game WITHOUT the voices. Lol. Is that possible? (It's probably in the readme, isn't it?)

Old 09-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #302
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
I'd actually like to play THIS version of the game WITHOUT the voices. Lol. Is that possible? (It's probably in the readme, isn't it?)
It is possible. You can switch between speech, speech + subtitles, and subtitles only.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #303
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Some interesting changes. I do wonder if some of the changes were deliberate by the gamemakers, though. The "the basic theory is fine" line seems ripe for cutting, as it doesn't add anything.
Of course, if they had any intention to remove that line, they'd probably just done that, instead of leaving it in a buggy script.
Quote:
Did you re-add the "Looks kind of like an emaciated Charles Atlas" line? (They was cut for legal reasons?)
I considered it, but I didn't. After all, it was removed for legal reasons indeed.
I should add the script back without that line though. That would be at least useful for the German version, which had an unproblematic line here.

And for playing with no voice, it is possible the same way it is in Fate of Atlantis, since it is the exact same SCUMM engine. However, the original game has some moving or flashing subtitles. Those effects had to be removed in order to make it work properly. Also several sound effects won't play with voice acting turned off.
Sorry for those inconveniences. Maintaining silent playing really was not a priority, since adding voice was the whole point to begin with.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #304
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Good point about the Fettuccini Brothers line.

As for the Charles Atlas line, although it was censored by their legal department, it was a) originally in the game (including the Amiga version) and b) really funny!

Shame about the voice thing. It's ironic that you've fixed loads of annoying bugs, which I'm very interested in, but also added the voices (which, apart from a few exceptions, I really hate, lol!). Oh well. Good job, though.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #305
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Some analysis for Stan's price ideas.
The left half of the table has all cases which have a voice file, the right half has the cases which don't.
From left to right, numbers decrease by 450, which is the price for each extra (except for the porthole defogger, which is for free).

The first offer you make sets the value to 10000 (which includes all extras).
Following offerings changes the price in the opposite direction by half of the difference to the first offer. Which results in possible steps of 500.

Going away reduces the price 3 times. 1st by 1000, 2nd by 500 and finally by 100. Therefore going a way 2 times mostly results in prices already taken care of. The 3rd going away has less overlappings.

You can see a pattern in most of the voiced files, but also some oddities.
- 4800 is missing from a somewhat regular pattern, but let's ignore this detail for the moment.
- Giving anything other than 2000 as the first offer isn't considered at all.
- The follow up offer may be 5000, 4000 or 2000.
- After going away once, the follow up offers may be 5000, 3000 or 2000.
- After going away a second time, it is 4000 or 2000.
- Going away a 3rd time results in many unvoiced prices in any case.

For the impossible prices, the director apparently assumed that all 7 extras reduce the price by 450, since those would continue the existing rows.

Now, for making sure that the price you get is voiced, what would I do? I have some ideas so far:

- If the player offers 2000, then 4000, I have to disable the option to leave, since this would result in unavailable prices?

- I have to prevent leaving a second time, unless the player offered 2000.

- Leaving a 3rd time could be prevented completely. Or alternatively, I could just disable the price reducing effect.

- All offers leading to unvoiced lines have to be disabled.

So far, this might be slightly confusing, but still very playable.
But there is still the ugly part about the missing 4800. I could just cheat a bit and let Stan say 5250 instead, since he won't hesitate to sell for that price anyway.

Of course, those restrictions would be completely optional. Just you can do with Spiffy and the narrator, you could just choose between completeness and voice coverage mode.

What do you think?
Code:
Sea Monkey price voiced:                     Sea Monkey price silent:                   
  regular prices after any offers and after going away one or two times:
                                              7000  6550  6100  5650  5200  4750  4300
  7500  7050  6600  6150  5700  5250                                              4800
                                              8000  7550  7100  6650  6200  5750  5300
  8500  8050  7600  7150  6700  6250  5800                
  9000  8550  8100  7650  7200  6750  6300        
                                              9500  9050  8600  8150  7700  7250  6800
 10000  9550  9100  8650  8200  7750  7300
                                             10500 10050  9600  9150  8700  8250  7800
                                             11000 10550 10100  9650  9200  8750  8300
                                             11500 11050 10600 10150  9700  9250  8800

possible prices after going away three times:                                             
                                              6900  6450  6000  5550  5100  4650  4200
                                              7400  6950  6500  6050  5600  5150  4700
                                              7900  7450 
  8400  7950                                
                                              8900  8450 
                                              9400  8950 
                                              9900  9450 

impossible prices, but voiced nevertheless:
  5350  5850  6850
Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #306
Krasas
Rookie

Current Game: Tales of MI
It's probably a silly idea, but wouldn't it be possible to mix some of Stan's sound files to produce the 4800 offer? e.g. the speech for the 5800 offer edited and mixed with a speech file where Stan uses the word "four" (if any) or perhaps alternatively the word "for".

I guess the result would probably sound awkward though.
Krasas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #307
cocomonk22
Rookie

I am assuming that the SE only uses prices in the voiced category, so in that case you should change the lines of code that affect the price Stan will say to match the way it is computed in SoMI:SE.
cocomonk22 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #308
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonk22 View Post
I am assuming that the SE only uses prices in the voiced category, so in that case you should change the lines of code that affect the price Stan will say to match the way it is computed in SoMI:SE.
I did. In fact, I implemented it like described in my analysis above. This works better than in the SE, which just used the wrong numbers in case there is no voice file. It will be in the next version.

You can choose between keeping the original lines, for which some have no voice. Or you can play with voiced lines only, so you will get a 100% talkie.
This switch will also affect the swordmaster insult, the ship's kitchen floor, and the stump joke.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #309
Mau1wurf1977
Lurker

A small suggestion:

How about creating a folder called MI1_Ultimate_Classic_Version_ScummVM when you run install_flac.bat or install_ogg.bat

and

a folder called MI1_Ultimate_Classic_Version_DOS when running install.bat?

And calling the install files:

install_DOS
install_ScummVM_compressed_audio
install_ScummVM_lossless_audio

just so it's a bit easier for the average Joe

And finally why wasn't the better music from the SE (the remake) picked. Might as well pick it considering all the other tweaks :-)

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977; 09-19-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #310
JezzaTheLagomorph
Rookie

If you read the readme, ScummVM gives you the choice to use the enhanced music from the Special Edition if you change the extra path.
JezzaTheLagomorph is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #311
Mau1wurf1977
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezzaTheLagomorph View Post
If you read the readme, ScummVM gives you the choice to use the enhanced music from the Special Edition if you change the extra path.
The SE has two versions...

The "DOS" version and the "Remake" version.

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project only supports the Music from the "DOS" version of SE.

But I would like to have the music from the "Remake" version. The one where you hear background noise / laughter in Scumm Bar...
Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 AM   #312
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau1wurf1977 View Post
Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project only supports the Music from the "DOS" version of SE.
Actually, the installer should convert both versions ready to use in ScummVM. Are there files missing for some reason? What does your MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition folder exactly look like?
Quote:
The one where you hear background noise / laughter in Scumm Bar...
That's a different matter altogether. Those noises are in a separate file. Unlike in CMI and EMI, the SE music files have no noises mixed in most of the time.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #313
Mau1wurf1977
Lurker

Hmm interesting...

I have 2 subfolders:

cd_music_flac (this is from the DOS CD version right?)
se_music_flac (this sounds exactly like the DOS version of the SE edition)

However when I play the remake version the audio sounds richer...

So I assumed that the SE edition has 2 soundtracks, one for the DOS version and one for the remake...

But if like you say, this is because of missing sound effects, well that would explain it...

Any plans on adding these effects (background noise in the Scumm Bar, background noise in the fire scene right at the start)

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977; 09-20-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #314
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
So I assumed that the SE edition has 2 soundtracks, one for the DOS version and one for the remake...
Which is what those sub-folders contain respectively. Did you set the sample rate to 44100 Hz in ScummVM?
Quote:
Any plans on adding these effects
I'll see what can be done. Probably not all of them.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #315
Mau1wurf1977
Lurker

Thanks for the sample rate tip! That did make the difference!

Very happy so far. But I am most impressed about the DOS version as I have a bare metal DOS machine with a MT-32 and getting speech for that version is really really special!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #316
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

And now, real-time sample splicing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-pTxB7TJ0

Now, Stan can say any possible value up to 10950 pieces of eight. The existing samples are still use of course. The splicing script is only called for those cases where no pre-recorded sample exists.

And I think, it is a bug that the porthole defogger has no price. I set it to 450, like all the other extras. Not only are some samples recorded under the assumptions that each extra costs 450, there is also this line by Stan in every version of the game: "TWO THOUSAND LOUSY PIECES OF EIGHT!?!". With the ability to reduce the price a further 450 by not taking the porthole defogger, it is actually possible to get the ship for 2000. The existence of that line make me think, that it was the actual intention to begin with. Plus, it doesn't seem like Stan to give that for free.

The only restriction I have still in place when voice-only-mode is used: Your first offer can not be higher then 3000. Once you said your first offer, all options are available again, like it was in the original game.

Although this splicing script requires a bunch of print instructions to be executed in order to form the sentence, I managed to have the '.'-key usable to skip the line in its entirety.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #317
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Is it just me, or can someone reproduce this one problem?
It's the CTRL-p shortcut. It works fine in ScummVM and in DOSBox. On my old PC however, it doesn't. Neither in native DOS nor with Windows 95 running. The keyboard is fine, as other shortcuts work as ususal. Also the p-key invokes the "pick up"-verb as expected.
All of you with a true DOS machine capable of natively running SCUMM V5, could you please check, if CTRL-p works for you? Just start the game and skip all cutscenes until you arrive at the dock and press CTRL-p.
I want to know, if this is some issue I should fix in the game, or if my old PC is just playing some strange tricks on me.

Last edited by LogicDeLuxe; 09-26-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #318
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Is it possible to play without the Voice Acting, but WITH the music?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #319
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
To quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
It is possible. You can switch between speech, speech + subtitles, and subtitles only.
The speech setting is independent from the music selection.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #320
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Version v1.0 release candidate 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?6oo543u1tyb85hj

Improvements in this version:
- "Raff." with a Guybrush sample when the dog is talking. (v0.5 beta)
- Low volume in DOS. Now it starts with the same default volume the original game had. In addition to that, your adjusted volume can be saved to monkey.cfg. (v0.5 beta)
- Subtitle mode toggle added.
- Title sequence now uses iMuse for beat matching instead of inaccurate timers. (v0.5 beta)
- Dialog option "You say you got a key from the locals?" did appear only if Guybrush did NOT learn about the key. Now it is the other way around. (all versions)
- Dialog option "You're the only one on the island?" was availabe instead of "So you're not the only one on the island?" under some circumstances, even when he just told about the key he got from the locals. (all versions)
- Stan did say "Inflation works in the other direction, you know." when you offer the same amount twice, even if your previous offer was less. (all versions)
- Stan had no voice for many possible values. This is now fixed for anything up to 10950 pieces of eight. (Special Edition)
- The porthole defogger now is actually worth something. (all versions)
- It was possible to burn the feather pen and get stuck. (all versions)

The modified ScummVM source: http://www.mediafire.com/?1u6cpr1ki0q3a8q
This minor modification was required for two reasons:
- Better support the options menu, since orignal ScummVM assumes that the enhanced CD has neither MIDI nor voice acting.
- Even worse, original ScummVM refuses to use the string save feature, unless it is an Indiana Jones game. I use this feature to save the preferences (Spiffy mode, narator mode and subtitle mode).
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project