lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #161
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKA-T View Post
Question. Will it play the xWMA files from the SFX soundbanks?
Yes, so long as the XWMAencode.exe tool is in the same folder as the program.

I'm just uploading the new version now and updating my site. Thanks for your mappings, they were very useful

bgbennyboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #162
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
I've released version 0.4 of Monkey Island Explorer.

This version includes two big features - audio playback/dumping and annotation support.

Audio dumping works for every audio file in both games. It plays back the ms-adpcm audio, the pcm audio and (if xWMAencode.exe is in the same folder) the xWMA audio. Because of this I've removed the link to my old MI Music Dumper - Monkey Island Explorer now does the job better.

Annotation support is the other handy feature. Annotations contain alternative filenames for audio that are more descriptive than those present in the original audio files. Eg the MI2 speech annotation file means that instead of a filename of “5840″ you instead see “Stan’s Kozy Krypts– A Place to Spend Eternity, Not a Fortune.”

I've used SKA-T's mappings to make annotation files for the MI2 speech and MI2 commentary, these are included with the program. Of course, I'd also like people to make annotations for the other files and to share them so that I can include them with the next release of the program.

Get it here.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #163
TheJoe
Rookie

This fails on the original MISE wavebanks with an error code 5. But I guess MISE isn't really in the scope here.

edit:
speechfiles play, but not music.

Last edited by TheJoe; 07-20-2010 at 08:49 PM.
TheJoe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #164
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoe View Post
This fails on the original MISE wavebanks with an error code 5. But I guess MISE isn't really in the scope here.

Do you have xWMAencode.exe in the same folder as the readme and both my posts above say?

Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #165
SKA-T
Rookie

That thing is awesome!! Good work sir. I'll probably get the rest of the files mapped to proper names here in the next few days. I'll send them along when I get them finished. One thing though, in the ambiance wavebank there are filenames in the wavebank itself and different names in the sound bank file. Just like the music new wavebank. Did you want the names from the ambiance soundbank or will the wavebank names suffice?
SKA-T is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #166
TheJoe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbennyboy View Post
Do you have xWMAencode.exe in the same folder as the readme and both my posts above say?
Oh, er. Right. I'll do that.
TheJoe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #167
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKA-T View Post
That thing is awesome!! Good work sir. I'll probably get the rest of the files mapped to proper names here in the next few days. I'll send them along when I get them finished. One thing though, in the ambiance wavebank there are filenames in the wavebank itself and different names in the sound bank file. Just like the music new wavebank. Did you want the names from the ambiance soundbank or will the wavebank names suffice?
Whichever you think is best. By default the program will use the names in the wavebank if there are any. If a matching annotation file is found though it'll use the names from that instead.

So if the names in the wavebank are better than those in the sound bank then there's no need for the sb names and there won't need to be an annotation file made.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #168
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

will this work with the portable versions
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #169
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
You mean iPhone/iPad? It will open the pak files if you extract them from the ipa yes.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #170
rbotosso
Lurker

Dear friends, I am part of a community of translation of old games for Brazil Portuguese and I have MI2 with the Portuguese language in Brazil but I'm not able to adapt this language to MI2 SE got the script file and monkey2.000 and monkey2 .001 translated and I can not put in MI2 IF someone will help? hugs to everyone.
rbotosso is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 AM   #171
TheHutt
Rookie

I have checked out what has changed since the update of MI2.

The following files have been added:
- PatchCues.xsb
- Patch.xwb

The following files have been changed:
- MI2SE_Audio_Music.xgs
- MusicCuesNew.xsb
- MusicCuesOriginal.xsb
- Monkey2.exe

Which means:
- The resources have not been tampered with, they were overridden by Patch.xwb.
- The control of the intro behaviour seems to come from within the exe file.
TheHutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #172
Teeth
Rookie

So, with this new version of MISE Explorer, is it possible to replace the audio files, or can we only rip them?
Teeth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #173
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
No, its only designed for viewing and dumping.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #174
Jenni
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Island 4 (ResidualVM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicDeLuxe View Post
If you want to try, I made a patch which forces the game to run always in easy mode:
Thanks for this! That was fun, it was actually the first time I've ever played Monkey Island 2 in easy mode. I'm surprised all the stuff for the easy mode was actually available in the special edition.

Jenni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #175
Det. Bullock
Lurker

Will it be possible to reintegrate the intro in the HD version of the game?
As I understood the files are still there, can you tell at the moment if it will be possible to rearrange them to bring back the intro?
Det. Bullock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #176
#1 GameMaster
Lurker

So are you guys working on a way to make a MI2 Ultimate Talkie version that works on ScummVM because I'd love to have this portable.
#1 GameMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 AM   #177
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 GameMaster View Post
So are you guys working on a way to make a MI2 Ultimate Talkie version that works on ScummVM because I'd love to have this portable.
Eventually. I guess, I should start a new thread for it.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #178
Dunstan
Rookie

Can somebody help me find the scripts this game uses? In Monkey2 original I could make a translation of the library catalog only by re-ordering the handler scripts (Lscr_0204, Scrp_063 and Scrp_064, I think). Is it possible, that this game uses the original's scripts? From the non-english versions, it is clear, that LucasArts couldn't create a consistent translation of the library catalog in MI2SE.

By the way, I described the file formats of fr.speech.info and fr.uitext.info here:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost....&postcount=275
in case somebody would write a translator. I wrote mine, but unfortunately it's still buggy.
Dunstan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #179
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

This game has the most confusing voice acting credits I've ever seen.
I analyzed the voice filenames, and found some which are never mentioned in the game. I sorted them so far:

- Frank, Fred and Fin are the Men of Low Moral Fiber, credited as Franklin, Freddy and Phineas in MI1SE.
- Larry, Crutch and Windy are the spitting contest audience.
- Greg is the fellow working with Rich.
- Skeleton and Moose are the party guests at the window.
- Fairy is one of the party guests to the left. The other one uses filenames with ZUL.
- Potman is one of the party guests at the table. The other one uses filenames with DUD.
- Clown is one of the party guests to the right. The other one uses filenames with PIG.
- Grillcook is the cook in Elaine's mansion.
- Sentry is Augustus DeWaat.
- Dealer is the roulette dealer.

Actually, the roulette dealer is names Fred, too. But due to a script bug, this is never revealed.
And I have no clue what ZUL and DUD might stand for. I guess, those, the pig and Guybrush's dad are the "additional voices" then.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #180
Dunstan
Rookie

Quote:
This game has the most confusing voice acting credits I've ever seen.
There are pecularities in the game text, too. For example there are two 22 reds and two 22 blacks on the roulette wheel on Phatt Island.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #181
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunstan View Post
There are pecularities in the game text, too. For example there are two 22 reds and two 22 blacks on the roulette wheel on Phatt Island.
I noticed those samples. Are you sure, they are actually used in game? The scripts simply pick a random number between 1 and 32.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #182
Dunstan
Rookie

Quote:
I noticed those samples. Are you sure, they are actually used in game? The scripts simply pick a random number between 1 and 32.
I'm just translating the game to Hungarian, and it is strange that there are two 22-s in every set of texts whether it is Guybrush 'I'd like 22 black', the dealer's '22 black it is' or Oscar's 'The winning number will be 22 black', both colors. Do the scripts pick a value between 1 and 32 or between 0 and 32? In the latter, the second 22 is used in the game.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #183
Dunstan
Rookie

Quote:
From the non-english versions, it is clear, that LucasArts couldn't create a consistent translation of the library catalog in MI2SE.
It's because the game uses the classic game's scripts to control the Special Edition. Since the classic game is still in the original SCUMM compressed file, and the library catalog needs a different handler script for every language, it was almost impossible for LucasArts to create a correct translation.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #184
edbusana
Lurker

Position of text in files and speech.info and uitext.info Hex Code:

There translation tool that helps increase and characters?
edbusana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #185
Dunstan
Rookie

I wrote my translation tool, but it isn't stable, and I can't give it to you, because it is in PHP . Since nobody else could create a working translator yet, you should write yours. I made a description about the uitext.info and the speech.info formats here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost....&postcount=275 . It is quite easy to make a translator, if you know some programming language, I wrote mine (which is still buggy) in a day or so.

Character sets are in png graphics (at least for the PC edition), so you could edit them in any better graphics editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbusana View Post
Position of text in files and speech.info and uitext.info Hex Code:

There translation tool that helps increase and characters?

Last edited by Dunstan; 10-15-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #186
kenand
Rookie

I'm a trouble to change Language at MISE 2 after setup.
I know the way in MISE 1
(C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\LucasArts\The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition\settings.ini)
But this way do not work with mise 2. I find ini file, but ini do not contain language section.

How Can I change language after setup (I would like to cahnge Ebglish to French for example)
I saw a pirate tool , but do not works with Steam version
kenand is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #187
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

With the Steam version, you can change language in the Steam GUI.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:21 AM   #188
kenand
Rookie

Quote:
With the Steam version, you can change language in the Steam GUI.
I will check it, thanks ( I bought it)

And I saw a tool in pirate version...

I saw my steam account, but did not find the way to change MISE 2 language.

Last edited by kenand; 10-28-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #189
Det. Bullock
Lurker

Right click one the game icon in the Library tab, select properties, there should be the language tab.
Det. Bullock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #190
edbusana
Lurker

DUNSTAN, How's your translation tool? You are 100% working?
Could make available for testing, do not understand programming, and is difficult to create a tool for this purpose.

Quote:
I wrote my translation tool, but it isn't stable, and I can't give it to you, because it is in PHP . Since nobody else could create a working translator yet, you should write yours. I made a description about the uitext.info and the speech.info formats here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost....&postcount=275 . It is quite easy to make a translator, if you know some programming language, I wrote mine (which is still buggy) in a day or so.

Character sets are in png graphics (at least for the PC edition), so you could edit them in any better graphics editor.
edbusana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #191
Teeth
Rookie

So, if it's possible to simply extract the contents of Monkey2.pak and then delete it to make the game run the files from their respective paths, does anyone think it would be possible to make the game read the music files as wavs from a certain path rather than from the .xwb file?

I'm just really desperate to make some music patches.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #192
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post
So, if it's possible to simply extract the contents of Monkey2.pak and then delete it to make the game run the files from their respective paths, does anyone think it would be possible to make the game read the music files as wavs from a certain path rather than from the .xwb file?

I'm just really desperate to make some music patches.
I dont think so no. To make a music patch you need to build new XWB files. You can use the xact tool together with the project files that have been previously posted to do this.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #193
Teeth
Rookie

Yeah, they were for the unpatched version and you said you'd update them. I also have tried countless times to make new XWB files but it always crashes. Could you please give me some instructions?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #194
Dunstan
Rookie

I am sorry, but my tool uses PHP language, which is a web programming language, so it needs a PHP-enabled WWW-server to work. I can't create C++ or Java, even FreePascal programs, since I don't know these languages well enough.

I'm afraid, I will have no time to find the bugs in it, especially since we have finished the translation. Generally it works (the translation of uitext.info was error-free, speech info uses a more complex index table), but rarely it wrongs the index table of the edited file, and these errors are hard to correct, (sometimes it is hard even to notice them, my translated speech.info looked right, but a lot of voices ceased to exist in the game). So if somebody wants it, it is 'as is' (like the half-sunken boat at Stan's in Monkey 1 ).

Anyway, you will need some programming experience to re-program the library's scripts which handle the card catalog, if you want an ordered catalog system in your language. It is in original LucasArts scripting language, and can be re-programmed by using some Scumm tools like ScumRev, scummrp, etc. I did it once by creating an ordered library catalog in Hungarian, and I can give more info about this if somebody is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbusana View Post
DUNSTAN, How's your translation tool? You are 100% working?
Could make available for testing, do not understand programming, and is difficult to create a tool for this purpose.

Last edited by Dunstan; 11-03-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 AM   #195
Dunstan
Rookie

I wonder if we could modify the starting room in the game to the dancing monkeys' room, maybe we could get the intro sequence? It would be nice to find out where is the starting room number programmed.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #196
kenand
Rookie

I tried to modify MISE 2 for Iphone.

I found files with pvr extensions.

I tried powervr texture tools but did not open it. (Imagination PowerVR texture tool)

Does anybody who knows this file format?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #197
kenand
Rookie

MISE 2 iphone contains pvr and png files, but PNG are apple iPad png files

There is a tool to convert them:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f193/73733.htm
Old 09-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #198
kenand
Rookie

I made a tool to translate Monkey Island SE 2 speech.info file.
It support speech.info only (at now ), but later I will add uitext.info
XBOX version has different coding, may be I will add later
(And If I have lot of spare time my I will add MISE 1 support, but there is a great tool for it)
http://www.mediafire.com/?gclm9nd012nkmgs

I made new version.
You may edit uitext.info also.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0610c4mi1z9bmod

Last edited by kenand; 09-22-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition