Malachore V 9 23.08%
Korriban 5 12.82%
2011 Mod Is Better 16 41.03%
2009 Mod Is Better 1 2.56%
Textures Match Better Now 9 23.08%
Textures Look Worst Now 5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Visual Enhancement 2011
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #41
SunBlade
Lurker

i did a quick check on the textures. as far as i can tell only the logo is missing transparency. plants, space debris and glass have a working alpha channel.

as for the blinking lights, that seems to be model related. after removing your mod i got the old textures, and the old lights were blinking in black squares too.

wikipedia has some interesting articles about dds and dxtn.
png is the only lossless widespread picture compression i know. but when packing multiple files with similar content, your tools of choice should be 7zip or winrar, due to solid block compression.

Live your life, you got only one.
SunBlade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #42
Gatherum
Rookie

So I downloaded the "CONSOLE COLORS 2011" archive from the external site. They're all PNG files. Are these supposed to be used, or...?

Edit: Also, sorry for the double post, but I must stress that it would be very useful if we could have a list of textures that need to be flipped and which don't. I just flipped all of them, and I'm having problems already, trying to get the Peragian doors to display correctly. That, and I have no idea whether or not anything else on Peragus is displaying correctly.

Nonetheless, very good mod; I'm liking the visuals so far.

As a pre-emptive measure, I am going to make a playthrough and report back on which packs need to be flipped and which don't.

I have confirmed that the Placeables Pack does NOT need to be flipped. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Update: Confirming that the Peragus Pack does NOT need to be flipped. However, there appears to be an issue with the standard door. Seems as if it is missing a layer of detail. Not sure what the problem is. I'm guessing a missing texture. It looks too plain. Chromatic.

Last edited by RedHawke; 12-13-2010 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Combined DP... please do not double post. You can be sited for spam.
Gatherum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #43
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
All the doors need to be flipped on peragus.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #44
Gatherum
Rookie

Not what I'm seeing...flipping the doors on Peragus seems to make them look worse. I'll check it again, though...

EDIT: Nope. I would definitely not flip the Peragian doors.

Edit: Confirming that the Harbinger textures do NOT require flipping.

Edit2: It would appear that Telos is mixed: some textures, especially doors, are meant to be flipped, while some are not. So far, I have found that all textures in Telos DO require flipping, EXCEPT for the following:

TEL_dor01.tga
TEL_dor07.tga
TEL_dor08.tga
TEL_dor10.tga
TEL_dor11.tga
TEL_dor12.tga

Do not flip those files. I have just arrived on Citadel Station, though, so there may be other textures that are amiss in my current configuration. That, and, I confess that I have no way to know which texture other than doors might need flipping and what might not. It's difficult to say. I still recommend that Xarwarz look through these at some point if he's not already, and bring us a more comprehensive list, because, as it stands, the issue is not pack-to-pack; it's file-to-file.

Last edited by RedHawke; 12-13-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Combined Triple posts... no more ok? Thanks.
Gatherum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #45
Phildevil

Hum, plain TGA would fare better I think...

By the way, some textures (for walls, usually) generally wont change wether you flip 'em or not...
Phildevil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 AM   #46
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatherum View Post
So I downloaded the "CONSOLE COLORS 2011" archive from the external site. They're all PNG files. Are these supposed to be used, or...?
Sorry been busy ill check to see if i uploaded png files by mistake but they can easily be converted to tga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatherum View Post
Also, sorry for the double post, but I must stress that it would be very useful if we could have a list of textures that need to be flipped and which don't. I just flipped all of them, and I'm having problems already, trying to get the Peragian doors to display correctly. That, and I have no idea whether or not anything else on Peragus is displaying correctly.

Nonetheless, very good mod; I'm liking the visuals so far.

As a pre-emptive measure, I am going to make a playthrough and report back on which packs need to be flipped and which don't.

I have confirmed that the Placeables Pack does NOT need to be flipped. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Update: Confirming that the Peragus Pack does NOT need to be flipped. However, there appears to be an issue with the standard door. Seems as if it is missing a layer of detail. Not sure what the problem is. I'm guessing a missing texture. It looks too plain. Chromatic.
The purpose of texture flipping is just to so the show correctly in game and not upside down. I mistakenly said textures needed to be flipped but the files were directly from my override folder so they didn't need to.

As far as the plain door i am working on a more realistic texture skin to second layer over that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
All the doors in game need to be flipped on peragus.
Yes just about all the doors need to be flipped

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD
JEDI.ACADEMY. HI REZ LIGHTING--MODELS ON MOD DB--VE-2013--TSL V.E. 2012--KOTOR 2012......

OTHER
Show spoiler
Xarwarz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #47
Downtown25
Lurker

Hey, great job on this! Really improved my KOTOR game a ton. I finally ordered TSL; it's in the mail and I'll be playing it with these textures for sure. I was wondering though, where are the creatures/droid textures from the 2009 version? Can they still be downloaded somewhere? Have you done creatures/droids for the 2011 version? Are they included with the planet files or seperate like they are with the KOTOR mod? Anyway, thanks again and great job.

Last edited by Downtown25; 12-04-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Downtown25 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #48
Phildevil

Could you release the TSL logo with working alphachanel (in .tga, preferably...)?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #49
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown25 View Post
Hey, great job on this! Really improved my KOTOR game a ton. I finally ordered TSL; it's in the mail and I'll be playing it with these textures for sure. I was wondering though, where are the creatures/droid textures from the 2009 version? Can they still be downloaded somewhere? Have you done creatures/droids for the 2011 version? Are they included with the planet files or seperate like they are with the KOTOR mod? Anyway, thanks again and great job.
I am still working on the new version of droids a creature skins you can see some pics on my site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildevil View Post
Could you release the TSL logo with working alphachanel (in .tga, preferably...)?
I'll see what i can do about that

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD
JEDI.ACADEMY. HI REZ LIGHTING--MODELS ON MOD DB--VE-2013--TSL V.E. 2012--KOTOR 2012......

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 12-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #50
Phildevil

Nice kath hound skin (on the website)! How would you feel about enhancing Hanharr's?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #51
Rinku
kad'la tracinya be abiik

Current Game: SWBF, Pokemon SS
I love what you are doing it looks very cool. With this, the music mod and ARCAGE I am planning on having a very nice play-through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarwarz View Post
I am still working on the new version of droids a creature skins you can see some pics on my site
After you have finished everything (creatures and droids) are you doing skins for other stuff like NPCs, armor, weapons?

Rinku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #52
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Nice kath hound skin (on the website)! How would you feel about enhancing Hanharr's?
Thanks its about as realistic as i could make it....I will be doing all creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinku View Post
I love what you are doing it looks very cool. With this, the music mod and ARCAGE I am planning on having a very nice play-through

After you have finished everything (creatures and droids) are you doing skins for other stuff like NPCs, armor, weapons?
Maybe but these upcoming mods will be available next year

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 12-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #53
Working Class Hero
Rookie

Can you please either upload these in tga form or make it clear what exactly needs to be flipped? Your screenshots look great, but I simply don't have the time to test all the files to get them to look correct.
Working Class Hero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #54
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Class Hero View Post
Can you please either upload these in tga form or make it clear what exactly needs to be flipped? Your screenshots look great, but I simply don't have the time to test all the files to get them to look correct.
Nothing needs to be flipped the files were directly from my override folder so they were already flipped. if a texture is displaying incorrect that means its either or it may or may not need to be flipped they are a few like that in the game. If you have any issues give a screen shot of it so i can better help

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #55
bobtomee
Lurker

Hay i do have to agree with who ever said ONDERON looked like a cartoon. Think you can make it little less? little Cartoonish. I love the other designs they work out right but. yea that one is a little Iffffff y on.
bobtomee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #56
Phildevil

I did not like onderon's color, so I've changed-it. Moreover, using GIMP, you can add grain to certain textures and it works wonder... Experiment and you may just get what you want
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #57
Working Class Hero
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarwarz
they are a few like that in the game
Oh, not everything needs to be flipped? I put in the narshadaa skins and flipped everything and it didn't look nice. I'll just convert them without flipping the next time; but do any of them NEED to be flipped?
Working Class Hero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #58
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Class Hero View Post
Oh, not everything needs to be flipped? I put in the narshadaa skins and flipped everything and it didn't look nice. I'll just convert them without flipping the next time; but do any of them NEED to be flipped?
Ill check my override folder but it less than 5 percent that may need to be flipped.

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #59
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
You should flip all the ones that need to be flipped and re-upload.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #60
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
You should flip all the ones that need to be flipped and re-upload.
Yes, that seems to be the logical thing to do.

@Xarwarz, my offer to upload the whole package (once you finish your work on M4-78) as a torrent at Demonoid still stands. Let me know once you have everything ready and the flipping issue is dealt with, and I'll start the uploading process.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #61
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Ok i need to clarify everything that need to be flipped was already done on my end so there is NO need to flip anything just add folders to override. As long as the textures are upside down in the override folder everything is all good.

The confusion came from me adding the read me text saying to flip the textures which is why they look messed up in game. So once again do Not flip textures after you convert them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post

@Xarwarz, my offer to upload the whole package (once you finish your work on M4-78) as a torrent at Demonoid still stands. Let me know once you have everything ready and the flipping issue is dealt with, and I'll start the uploading process.
No prob sith h im finishing up the planet soon but cant release until i complete the droid reskins. The tank droid sucks its like a shuttle skin lots of parts

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler

Last edited by Xarwarz; 12-21-2010 at 04:25 AM. Reason: adding
Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #62
Acleacius

Thanks Xarwarz for your work on these excellent textures!

A question, you seem to have modified the Loading Screens and it's been a long time since I played TSL, but shouldn't there be pictures of the different areas in the loading screens? E.g. if I am on Dantooine shouldn't the Loading Screens have Dantooine pictures during level transitions? Mine don't any more.

Edit:Turns out it was just the Prologue on the Ebon Hawk which was showing no Loading Screen pictures during level transitions, once on Peragus they started showing.

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited by Acleacius; 01-15-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Acleacius is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #63
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acleacius View Post
Thanks Xarwarz for your work on these excellent textures!

A question, you seem to have modified the Loading Screens and it's been a long time since I played TSL, but shouldn't there be pictures of the different areas in the loading screens? E.g. if I am on Dantooine shouldn't the Loading Screens have Dantooine pictures during level transitions? Mine don't any more.

Edit:Turns out it was just the Prologue on the Ebon Hawk which was showing no Loading Screen pictures during level transitions, once on Peragus they started showing.

Thanks for any tips.
Well thanks for tying the mod ill be making minor improvements to it over the year. Any other questions or issues let me know

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #64
Phildevil

In the Telos file, there seems to be some strange files. You should get files with this prefix: "TEL_". There are some that have this prefix instead: "TMP_". Are these files duplicatas that may be erased or files that are part of your intended textures.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #65
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
In the Telos file, there seems to be some strange files. You should get files with this prefix: "TEL_". There are some that have this prefix instead: "TMP_". Are these files duplicatas that may be erased or files that are part of your intended textures.
You can erase those files with no problem

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #66
Revan123
Lurker

Xarwarz, you made an excellent job with these textures. Just amazing.
And they are bringing that "flair" to the game, which, I think was originally intended -

but, i`ve searched the whole internet ( and your site ) for the gui ( levelup -icon etc. )
and the clothing textures ( like in the Telos-clip ) and cant find anything for download.
Plz heeelllp
Revan123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #67
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan123 View Post
Xarwarz, you made an excellent job with these textures. Just amazing.
And they are bringing that "flair" to the game, which, I think was originally intended -

but, i`ve searched the whole internet ( and your site ) for the gui ( levelup -icon etc. )
and the clothing textures ( like in the Telos-clip ) and cant find anything for download.
Plz heeelllp
I haven't released a gui mod...clothes your refering to the cartoon look i havent released that yet didn't know if anyone wanted

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #68
Revan123
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarwarz View Post
I haven't released a gui mod...clothes your refering to the cartoon look i havent released that yet didn't know if anyone wanted

Don't get me wrong, your mod is unbelievable - but it would be a great addition if you make/release a gui ( like in the Telos-vid ) for it ( and maybe retexture armors/weapons )
- I'm ABSOLUTELY sure many players would appreciate that!!
Revan123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #69
CCS
Lurker

Hello!
First of all, thank you for your effort! It was quite a hassle downloading every single file and then converting them all, but it was really worth it! TSL looks like a much newer game now, very nice!

However, transparency doesn't seem to work. Some have already mentioned the logo. But for me, also other textures with transparency are NOT transparent, like tree branches in Telos. Any idea why this is so and what I could do about it? I did everything according to your manual with Xnview (no flipping).
CCS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #70
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS View Post
Hello!
First of all, thank you for your effort! It was quite a hassle downloading every single file and then converting them all, but it was really worth it! TSL looks like a much newer game now, very nice!

However, transparency doesn't seem to work. Some have already mentioned the logo. But for me, also other textures with transparency are NOT transparent, like tree branches in Telos. Any idea why this is so and what I could do about it? I did everything according to your manual with Xnview (no flipping).
I have had some issues with transparency with this game. i suppose if it the game had post process might solve the issue but ill look into it

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 06-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #71
CCS
Lurker

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Anything I may have done wrong during conversion? Or any in-game settings? Or other mods (I installed quite a few others, but none that use the same files)?
It does seem to work for the others, after all.
CCS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #72
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
UPDATED TELOS 6.25.11

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #73
Jasmer
Lurker

I haven't tried the new version of Telos as I only recently installed the PC version of TSL. I loved the Visual Enhancement textures for the first game and wanted to try them out in TSL. So far I really like them, but I've only gotten as far as Citadel Station and am also noticing transparency problems. A little research told me XnView can have problems with alphas and retaining transparencies, or the picture editing program you're using may not be properly applying transparencies? I don't know, but the burn marks in the Paragus mining tunnels are on big white squares, the asteroids are floating in a white square, and the leaves on the trees on Citadel Station are also attached to big white squares :P

Beautiful textures all in all, though, definitely an improvement. Even with the transparency issues it's still a step up from original, especially when you've played the xbox version to death over the last several years. Thanks for the awesome textures.

[Edit] Wound up going through the textures and re-exporting all the ones with any noticeable transparency with GIMP. Works like a charm, but I noticed the grass (on Telos at least) is too long. Looks like the texture map is wrong up and the grass gets chopped off in-game.

Last edited by Jasmer; 07-09-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Jasmer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #74
Flashblade

I agree, these are excellent textures that breath new life into TSL. Very well done. However I can confirm that by your described method of conversion using xnview ALL the alpha channels get dropped. It is easy to check this with xnview itself. Your DDS original texture of dantooine tree leaves has an alpha channel. The same converted tga file has a solid white block around the leaves. So unfortunately your method doesn't work and something needs to be done. Making the tgas available is probably the easiest solution to that problem.

[Edit]After fiddling around, I sadly come to the conclusion that this mod is unusable for me. Tried a few other converters but without much luck, something is always of. A shame, I hope you release a complete tga version some time soon. I would really love to use this!

Last edited by Flashblade; 07-09-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Tried to make it work
Flashblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #75
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
In response to both jasmer and flashblade yea im gonna release a tga version right now telos ver 2 is in tga format. Transparencies seems to vary i dont have that issue on my side.

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #76
Jasmer
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashblade View Post
I agree, these are excellent textures that breath new life into TSL. Very well done. However I can confirm that by your described method of conversion using xnview ALL the alpha channels get dropped. It is easy to check this with xnview itself. Your DDS original texture of dantooine tree leaves has an alpha channel. The same converted tga file has a solid white block around the leaves. So unfortunately your method doesn't work and something needs to be done. Making the tgas available is probably the easiest solution to that problem.

[Edit]After fiddling around, I sadly come to the conclusion that this mod is unusable for me. Tried a few other converters but without much luck, something is always of. A shame, I hope you release a complete tga version some time soon. I would really love to use this!
I just converted them with GIMP. You can download a DDS plugin, and you'll have to sift through the textures one at a time. I don't know if GIMP has any batch editing capabilities or not, but I went through every single texture from all the packs easily enough. The ones with any obvious transparencies will be, well, obvious with the checkerboard backgrounds. Just save them as .tgas and move them to the override folder. The only batch editor I know of does not work for windows 7, at all, period, regardless of compatibility mode, though. Since you've gone through the trouble of downloading the whole pack maybe I can email you the ones I've converted or something.
Jasmer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #77
Snard
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR II
Im having the same problem as a previous member. The textures are all gray for some reason and i cant find any way to fix this. Do you(or anybody else) know how?

Snard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #78
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Snard View Post
Im having the same problem as a previous member. The textures are all gray for some reason and i cant find any way to fix this. Do you(or anybody else) know how?
My suggestions is to wait until i do a TGA version....right now the NEW telos version is in tga format

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD

OTHER
Show spoiler
Old 08-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #79
Luminous Being
Lurker

Xarwarz: Great work, I just did Peragus, and it was a terrific change! i can't wait to see what the other parts of the game look like! Keep up the good work!
Luminous Being is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #80
Fafolo
Lurker

Hi Xarwarz, first of all: congratulation for the great work u did on those textures, they are really amazing!

Second, a couple of questions:
1) Your work on KOTOR 1 is finished right? so if i get those texture they are the final version, no need to check for updates later right?

2) I understood from this thread that the KOTOR 2 texture aren't the final version, right? What are u going to add/change?

cheers
Fafolo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Taris Upper City Emporium > Visual Enhancement 2011