lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Stuttering Audio in HP Pavillion XP sp2 Laptop tried everything...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Stuttering Audio in HP Pavillion XP sp2 Laptop tried everything...

OK, guys, so one of the IT techs needs help! I'm trying to fix a friends audio on his computer a HP Pavillion zd8000 (I will post full system specs below my review sentances). The exact problem is no matter what the audio, or what you use to play it stutters, all the windows sounds are stuttering. I'm convinced its software rather than hardware, but after doing battle for 4 days I'm running out of ideas.

It's an integrated sound card the exact model is Intel ICH6 AC97 Sound Card - from searches on the net numerous people seem to have had issues with this particular piece of hardware/software. and I have litterally tried everything you can think of to get the sound working. I've updated, deleted, re-installed the audio drivers, I've uninstalled anti-virus, and checked processes on startup (31 running, with around 1,600mb free ram when computer is ready to run. I have downlaoded audio drivers from intel, HP and realtek, and installed them to no avail. I'm considering installing SP3 at this point, but I'm not convinced that has much to do with the problem.

Show spoiler

So anyone have any ideas?

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I've had more probs with win7 and audio stuttering than every before, so I happen to have been working on this lately myself.

Anyway, my best advice is to use this dpc latency checker and disable your devices one at a time to find out which one is giving windows a stutter. Mine was a wireless card, and network drivers are quite often suspect, so might want to start there.
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

once you find what is giving windows the problem, you can proceed accordingly, or given it's a laptop, bitch at hp accordingly

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
First thing that comes to mind is that it's probably a codec problem, I had this before...

Try this (K-Lite Codec Pack): http://www.free-codecs.com/download_...p?d=5945&s=775

Worked for me! ;

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
you also might want to consider it as a hardware problem. does it make a difference in stuttering whether or not you use headphones vs the built in speakers??

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
you also might want to consider it as a hardware problem. does it make a difference in stuttering whether or not you use headphones vs the built in speakers??
Heya stingerhs, first thing I checked was that, however using either headphones or plug in speakers produces the same effect. I tried Rays suggestion with the codec pac but the problem has persisted. Bills suggestion did reveal the computer has a very high latency, however the items I disabled, while reducing the latency and improving the stuttering didn't eliminate it.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
hrm, have you tried running memtest86+ ?
http://www.memtest.org/

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Heya stingerhs, first thing I checked was that, however using either headphones or plug in speakers produces the same effect. I tried Rays suggestion with the codec pac but the problem has persisted. Bills suggestion did reveal the computer has a very high latency, however the items I disabled, while reducing the latency and improving the stuttering didn't eliminate it.
well, sometimes the first thing people skip is the obvious one. good to see that you're on top of it.

sounds like a driver conflict of some kind given that you were able to eliminate some of the stuttering by disabling a couple of items. i'd recommend that you stick with that particular road and start disabling devices one at a time. given that its an XP machine, you'll probably have to reboot a couple of times, but it should isolate the problem soon enough.

i doubt this is the issue (and you might've checked it already), but it might be worth your while to check in the BIOS to make sure that no other audio devices are active (such as the very common Realtek AC97). i mention that because i've run into a couple of instances with an audio device being present both on the mobo and built into the Northbridge at the same time. again, its probably not the issue, but it might be worth looking into.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
i doubt this is the issue (and you might've checked it already), but it might be worth your while to check in the BIOS to make sure that no other audio devices are active (such as the very common Realtek AC97). i mention that because i've run into a couple of instances with an audio device being present both on the mobo and built into the Northbridge at the same time. again, its probably not the issue, but it might be worth looking into.
This crossed my mind as well, so I second giving this a look.

Out of curiosity, what does Windows Update recommend as a driver when you have none installed? One that you have already used mostlikely... but a thought nevertheless.

Speaking of Intel's site, did you use their Intel Driver Update utility? I wonder if you have the most recent chipset driver on the machine as well as their sound driver...

Just nuked my Dell XP machine again... SP3 is worth avoiding if you can, in my opinion. It always fragments my MFT, undefraggably.

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Maybe you could try to boot up a Live CD to see if the problem persists, so you know at least whether it's hardware or system dependent.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Stuttering Audio in HP Pavillion XP sp2 Laptop tried everything...