lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Well, do you want to know the secret?
Yes 23 53.49%
No 14 32.56%
I don't really care 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Do you want to know the secret of Monkey Island?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #41
Rosefull
Rookie

That is the best secret theory I've heard! Haha, awesome. Bu again, all those references could just be jokes.

:: Rose ::
Rosefull is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #42
Monkey Mania

I prefer that theory over the "it was all in the mind of a child" theory.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #43
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Mania View Post
Remember, Guybrush knows that he's in a game.

I think the secret is that Guybrush is not Guybrush. He's playing a virtual reality game. How do you think he magically ended up at the top of Melee Island? What's with all the electricity? Pop culture references? It's kind of like TRON, or the Star Trek Holodeck.

The Voodoo Lady is the person keeping an eye on Guybrush, making sure he doesn't beat the game (by finally defeating LeChuck once and for all).
Heh, I came up with an uncannily similar theory to that a while ago, only instead of it being a virtual reality game, the secret was the Monkey Island is a video game. I thought about the voodoo lady like you said and a few other things to back it up. This sort of thing would be pretty cool in my opinion.

I do think that all the anachronisms and references are just jokes, though. The secret, like RemiO said, is just a plot device which, in my opinion, was largely making fun of stories that use such plot devices. That's why it was so in-your-face and silly. If you're looking for a secret that doesn't follow that trend and is really sixth-sensey then you'll probably be disappointed.

^Tentative speculation^
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #44
Haggis
Mojorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fealiks View Post
If you're looking for a secret that doesn't follow that trend and is really sixth-sensey then you'll probably be disappointed.
This is actually a great reason to not reveal the secret. Right now you can just make up your own secret, making it as outlandish or as mundane as you want it to be. If it would be revealed, it would almost certainly be a disappointment, since the chances of it agreeing with your own views are pretty slim.

Haggis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #45
Edward van Helgen
Rookie

Current Game: Grim Fandango
Maybe the secret was that the cake was a lie.

Oh damn it's the wrong game

The seas and the weathers are what is;
your vessels adapt to them or sink.
Edward van Helgen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #46
Rosefull
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward van Helgen View Post
Maybe the secret was that the cake was a lie.

Oh damn it's the wrong game
*Dies*

Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #47
HaydenWCE
Rookie

I believe that the Secret was revealed in the first game, but it was just missed by everyone. I think that the Secret is that there are hell-ish catacombs inside the Giant Monkey Head. I think that then, since everyone missed the Secret due to it not being obvious enough, Gilbert and the team just went along with it and pretended that they never revealed the Secret at all. Then again, I could be completely wrong.
HaydenWCE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #48
Rosefull
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenWCE View Post
I believe that the Secret was revealed in the first game, but it was just missed by everyone. I think that the Secret is that there are hell-ish catacombs inside the Giant Monkey Head. I think that then, since everyone missed the Secret due to it not being obvious enough, Gilbert and the team just went along with it and pretended that they never revealed the Secret at all. Then again, I could be completely wrong.
Y'know, that makes sense. The passage to Hell is pretty secret-ish.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #49
Sk-F
Rookie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefull View Post
Y'know, that makes sense. The passage to Hell is pretty secret-ish.
Agreed. We may have been scratching our heads all this time thinking on a big SECRET for the whole saga when, actually, it could be that there was one for each game. That makes sense if you analyse how different is MI2 from the first one in almost every aspect. It looks like as if Gilbert thought everything again after the success of SMI to create a much bigger and somewhat baffling secret. And considering what he said on interviews about doing whatever was necessary at LucasArts to avoid being fired at the time, it seems more plausible to believe this theory rather than that of a young programmer designing a whole pirate saga from the beginning.

I mean, for sure LucasArts gave Gilbert a tight schedule (and a small budget) at the time to make SMI, and everyone knows how hard is for an artist to stick with a schedule. Was there time to imagine a whole series of games?
Of course, once he succeded with the first one, he was given a much bigger budget and plenty of time to create a sequel that matched up to its predecessor, so he made this strange second secret that made all of us think and speak about.
Considering this, I believe that if by any chance Gilbert were to make a new installment of MI, he would tell a completely different story (with a new secret) that had nothing to do with what we saw in SMI and MI2; just like a third tale in a series of pirate-themed adventure books that only shared its main characters between its stories.

What do you think about this? It makes sense, don't you think?

Last edited by Sk-F; 08-13-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Sk-F is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #50
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
For what it's worth, in the narrative hint book, it says "I still didn't discover the secret of Monkey Island..." right at the end. Not that I would call this canon, but Captain Tripps was definitely working with the team.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #51
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

As someone who would like to know what it is, I should point out that I don't hold out ANY hope that it's something earth-shattering. I totally expect it to be something like "there's a giant monkey robot under Monkey Island". THAT kind of lame. I'd just like to know, I don't really expect it to alter anything, and I also don't really care what it is: It was only ever a plot device and a cool title, nothing more.

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #52
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk-F View Post
We may have been scratching our heads all this time thinking on a big SECRET for the whole saga when, actually, it could be that there was one for each game.
That's almost what I was saying a while ago. There will always be another secret, no matter what you keep finding. Once something is revealed as "The Secret", there's no more mystery. I think it's more fun to sit here talking about what the secret might be, than knowing it and not having anything to talk about.

Aububuh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #53
cocomonk22
Rookie

I'm pretty sure the secret of Monkey Island is revealed in Inhumane Footloose Janitor.
cocomonk22 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #54
Zum
Rookie

We may all be right, we may all be wrong but let's face it, Ron, Dave and Tim were just having a good time messing with their fantasy pirate world we shouldn't even ask for a secret, because it wouldn't be so surprising not after you get the mood of the game.
Zum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 AM   #55
Hellbeard

There is no spoon...
Hellbeard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2010, 01:12 AM   #56
speon
Rookie

It's been staring us in the face all this time.

The Secret of Monkey is Land!

speon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #57
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by speon View Post
It's been staring us in the face all this time.

The Secret of Monkey is Land!

Haha! Very good... Question is now: What is Monkey?

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #58
Edward van Helgen
Rookie

Current Game: Grim Fandango
And why is the composer of the soundtrack the secret...

The seas and the weathers are what is;
your vessels adapt to them or sink.
Edward van Helgen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #59
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk-F View Post
Agreed. We may have been scratching our heads all this time thinking on a big SECRET for the whole saga when, actually, it could be that there was one for each game. That makes sense if you analyse how different is MI2 from the first one in almost every aspect. It looks like as if Gilbert thought everything again after the success of SMI to create a much bigger and somewhat baffling secret. And considering what he said on interviews about doing whatever was necessary at LucasArts to avoid being fired at the time, it seems more plausible to believe this theory rather than that of a young programmer designing a whole pirate saga from the beginning.

I mean, for sure LucasArts gave Gilbert a tight schedule (and a small budget) at the time to make SMI, and everyone knows how hard is for an artist to stick with a schedule. Was there time to imagine a whole series of games?
Of course, once he succeded with the first one, he was given a much bigger budget and plenty of time to create a sequel that matched up to its predecessor, so he made this strange second secret that made all of us think and speak about.
Considering this, I believe that if by any chance Gilbert were to make a new installment of MI, he would tell a completely different story (with a new secret) that had nothing to do with what we saw in SMI and MI2; just like a third tale in a series of pirate-themed adventure books that only shared its main characters between its stories.

What do you think about this? It makes sense, don't you think?
funny
this is what i think happened when George Lucas made Star Wars

Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #60
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Long time, no see...

That´s the secret of Monkey Island:
http://blog.monkeysisland.com/wp-con...3/d34_1072.jpg
And I was there. *quicklyoff*

Btw: yes. OF COURSE
Sven_Q45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Do you want to know the secret of Monkey Island?