lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Scripting Installer [Nsis] [Noob Friendly]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-10-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
Nvenom
Rookie

Current Game: Kotor
Helpful! 
Scripting Installer [Nsis] [Noob Friendly]

* Original Thread *
-----

Before We Get Started id like to say Hi,

I know i have hardly any posts at the time of making this but trust me when i say i got plenty of experience in modding have done a little of everything but
Skinning is my primary Forte. I Will go through Step by Step very Detailed and without a giant wall of text!! i know its un-heard of in a scripting tutorial
this will Work for Everything, i will explain sending different Files to different locations in Segment 3

Want to see an Example of what im talking about First..
Check out my mod that i learned this for Nvenoms Custom Interface

Okay on with the Goods,

REASON:
Show spoiler

Just need 3 things
NSIShttp://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download our main Program
Notepad++http://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloadThis will help you keep up with Your Scripting and help you Conquer that wall of text i said i wasint going to create....
Last but not least a little tiny voice in Your head that says you can do this...

Now Dont go opening up Nsis just yet, First we are Going to make our Script.

Start up Notepad++ and begin a new File, Our Readme/License

Type what ever you want in it dosent have to be special can be something as simple as Hello World

Once You are done Save it on your DESKTOP as ReadLNew.nsi/// .NSI Make sure you save it as that

Now We Start our Scripting Open up another new txt in Notepad++ by using File> New in the top left ( Shouldint have to say this)

Start With
Show spoiler

Second Segment
Show spoiler

Third Segment
Show spoiler

Segment Four
Show spoiler

Segment Five
Show spoiler

Tips/Tricks Segment
Show spoiler

For Modders Wanting to Edit other Parts of Files!! As Qui-Gon Glenn informed me My Installer lacks a sense of editing .2da files and of other sorts that only TSL patcher can do.. Here is a workaround. Time for another Segment for you .2da editors *May seem pointless to some*
Show spoiler

In Final I Want to Say thanks for Reading and i really hope you got it, Without this my modding would have been pointless and far to complicated for anyone to want too bother with. *side note* One of the easiest Scripting languages i have ever try to learn XD

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 04-11-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Nvenom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
This is an interesting post.

My question is this: Is this necessary or helpful at this point?

For a massive mod that is not concerned at all with compatibility with other people's mods, then perhaps this makes sense. 'Twas the case with TSLRP and finally TSLRCM, but those mods are massive... and I am not even sure in the case of TSLRCM, as it seems to behave well with other mods for the most part...

My reason for asking is this, Nvenom... are you aware that the TSLPatcher does all of this for us while ensuring updating/patching the vanilla game files that are "patchable"?

I ask this because it does not appear in any of your hidden segments, what would occur in the case where a file from your installer is named the same as a file that already exists? The .2da files we edit and include in our mods are changed by almost everyone, thus they must be patched and not over-written, as it seems your little proggy would do.

The other mildly disturbing thing is the trojan-horse icon used by your installer. I personally would not use any installer that had that little horsey on it, and I am savvy enough to know that not all .exe's wearing that emblem are trojans. Nevertheless, it is a negative connotation.

All that said, it is a nice idea, and thank you for your post.

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
Nvenom
Rookie

Current Game: Kotor
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
This is an interesting post.

My question is this: Is this necessary or helpful at this point?

For a massive mod that is not concerned at all with compatibility with other people's mods, then perhaps this makes sense. 'Twas the case with TSLRP and finally TSLRCM, but those mods are massive... and I am not even sure in the case of TSLRCM, as it seems to behave well with other mods for the most part...

My reason for asking is this, Nvenom... are you aware that the TSLPatcher does all of this for us while ensuring updating/patching the vanilla game files that are "patchable"?

I ask this because it does not appear in any of your hidden segments, what would occur in the case where a file from your installer is named the same as a file that already exists? The .2da files we edit and include in our mods are changed by almost everyone, thus they must be patched and not over-written, as it seems your little proggy would do.

The other mildly disturbing thing is the trojan-horse icon used by your installer. I personally would not use any installer that had that little horsey on it, and I am savvy enough to know that not all .exe's wearing that emblem are trojans. Nevertheless, it is a negative connotation.

All that said, it is a nice idea, and thank you for your post.
Thx for the response i guess... as to my Post i stated why i did it in the first Bit, I could not find a single Installer that gave options, were i to release my mod it would have consisted of 12 tslpatcher .exe's and been around 200 mb's... not to mention that i also tried to focus on how this is mostly for skinners not people going all out with full blown models that consist of editing Files rather than just replacing them

As to the Trojan horse thing, not much i can say really because i dont think its a horse on there icon, more of a dog. Anywho, Segment for .2da editing added at the end.
For those of you who dont trust an icon with a dog on it... Change it...

Here is the Code
Show spoiler

Nvenom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvenom View Post
I could not find a single Installer that gave options, were i to release my mod it would have consisted of 12 tslpatcher .exe's and been around 200 mb's...
You can use a namespaces.ini file (the configuration utility can create one, it's in one of the menus) with TSLPatcher to provide a screen allowing the user to select one of several installation options. It's a bit primitive since it can only allow the user one of several options, not a checklist of options like most installation utilities do, but it does allow using a single exe and file base to provide several installation options.

(IIRC it essentially just allows you to provide several changes.ini and readme texts and swaps which ones are used depending on what the user picks.)

On topic: Not everyone installs their games in the default location. You should read the install path from the Registry and use that instead of hardcoding in your installer scripts where the files should go.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Tutorials: General Tutorials + Tools > Scripting Installer [Nsis] [Noob Friendly]

Tags
guide, installer, nsis, nve, nvenom, script