lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Prey 2 - Very different from the first.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Prey 2 - Very different from the first.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...review-prey-2/

The first Prey never really held any interest for me. The sequel on the other hand, sounds like it could be awesome if it pulls off its rather ambitious goals well. While the first games title was clearly referring to the player, here it seems 'Prey' is referring to the poor buggers you're after.

Open-world first person bounty hunting with Assassin's Creed freerunning, Predator vision modes, awesome gadgets, and tons of freedom of choice? Yes please.

My interest meter just jumped from zero to lots.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
That's about how I felt, about both of them.

On the other hand, First Person freerunning didn't turn out well the last time they did it, and First Person Assassin's Creed style freerunning would make me blow chunks harder than a frat boy after being shown 2 Girls 1 Cup after drinking half a bottle of Jagermeister and four cement mixers.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
You're right, this actually looks worth playing! And I can smell more than half a dozen influences here and there, but who cares as long as Id can deliver something fun again. Besides, they seem to be borrowing excellent elements from excellent games/movies so it's fine by me. I'd just like to see how "open" Exodus is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
On the other hand, First Person freerunning didn't turn out well the last time they did it, and First Person Assassin's Creed style freerunning would make me blow chunks harder than a frat boy after being shown 2 Girls 1 Cup after drinking half a bottle of Jagermeister and four cement mixers.
You mean Mirror's Edge? Granted, the game wasn't fantastic but the parkour thing was very well done. Hell, it was practically the protagonist. First Person freerun and other gimmicks can work pretty well.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.

Last edited by Ctrl Alt Del; 04-30-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I loved the first Prey and found it to be very underrated! I will definitely check this out.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Cement mixers.....

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
A CG trailer and a gameplay walkthrough have been shown. Interestingly, the difference between the CG trailer and actual gameplay doesn't seem as huge as most games. Sorry about the GT link, but there doesn't seem to be an HD version of the gameplay interview/walkthrough on Youtube yet. I'm also sorry about how annoying the interviewer is.

The CG Trailer:
View page
YouTube Video

The Gameplay:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-prey-2/714963

I like what I see so far.

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 06-07-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Not to mention the CG trailer is incredibly well-done. For a second there I forgot this was a game and just thought it was a video footage of a real plane. Even when the alien transported inside the craft I thought it was tape with just a bunch of actors. Until I saw Earth and realized this was no regular aircraft.

And I agree, the trailer is quite faithful with the actual gameplay. To be honest, the sheer amount of gadgets does make me feel kinda like the Predator (undoubtely what the devs were aiming for).

And apparently we have some freeroaming on Exodus. I assume this because on the gameplay trailer you could still walk around after dispatching your bounty. Although I'm unsure of just how much freedom you can get, since in the video the character was going back to the way he just came from (instead of going somewhere else) and a giant, Quake-like, heavily armed and certainly scripted alien just come from behind the corner, guns blazing. That's a question I'd like to see answered: do we get to explore Exodus or just walk around limited stages doing the mission and then returning to base?

I like what I see too.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Prey 2 - Very different from the first.

Tags
bounty hunting, freelance police predator, how is this a sequel?, manshoot, prey