lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Halo 4
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Halo 4

View page
YouTube Video

Well, here it is. Announced at the end of the Microsoft E3 conference.
Quite surprised really, I could swear they said Halo Reach would be the last in the series, but suddenly they have announced this, as the start of another trilogy? O.o

Oh well, that will be interesting to see.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Snard
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR II
Did they not say right there on the halo 3 game case that it was the conclusion?

Snard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
They said Reach would be the last Halo from Bungie. MS isn't going to stop until Halo no longer brings in money.

I've never been a huge fan of Halo. I don't hate the games, I've just always felt that there were better shooters available. So I don't really have more than a passing interest in it. I do hope they take the opportunity provided to them (Chief being in cryosleep drifting through space for who knows how long) to make a big jump into the future, as that could have interesting story consequences. However, I do worry that the new developers might just try to play it safe by keeping the setting everyone's familiar with.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

tbh Bungie were great developers for Halo and I pray 343 Industries don't balls it up. *fingers crossed*

Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
The trailer is pretty meh compared to everything we've seen so far on this edition of E3. Nevertheless, it caught me with my guard down, I certainly saw more Halo coming, but with a 4 on it? I'm a long time fan of the series, but let's see how this one will fare.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Microsoft: We're not addicted to releasing Halo games. We can stop any time we want to. In fact, this will be the last one, I swear.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
They said Reach would be the last Halo from Bungie.
They also said after three too that it would be that last Halo (and three was the last Halo for me).

I loved Halo, but to me Halo 2 was okay and Halo 3 was meh, which I only bought to see how the story would end. Not really Bungie's fault, my taste in games just changed.

So I'll pass on Halo 4 unless something magical happens.

Last edited by mimartin; 06-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
It's amazing people think that Microsoft wouldn't take Halo further than Reach. Of course they're gonna milk it for everything it's worth. Why would the deviate from what every other company has done with IP's they have a hold of?

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Snard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Microsoft: We're not addicted to releasing Halo games. We can stop any time we want to. In fact, this will be the last one, I swear.
Lol, for a strange reason, i very highly doubt that

Also, before when i said Halo 3 was the said conclusion, i meant for master chief and his era.

On a side note, why is it that the soldiers and spartans from Reach look more advanced than the ones in H3? Reach was set to be before the events of H3.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Snard View Post
On a side note, why is it that the soldiers and spartans from Reach look more advanced than the ones in H3? Reach was set to be before the events of H3.
Why do the SW prequel movies have better CGI than the OT?

On-Topic: I don't have a 360

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Snard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Why do the SW prequel movies have better CGI than the OT?

On-Topic: I don't have a 360
Things in star wars are relatively the same or very similar to each other.
What im saying is H3 and HReach were made within four years of each other in production. Also, what about the armor lock things? How did those just suddenly disappear?

Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'm not gonna lie: as long as I can dual-wield, drive vehicles and play as Master Chief, I'm satisfied. I'm interested in what exactly they have planned for Halo 4... Forerunner stuff perhaps? Could be interesting... but there's no war with the Covenant anymore... no more relentlessly killing grunts, and let's face it, that's the selling point of the game.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
Could be interesting... but there's no war with the Covenant anymore... no more relentlessly killing grunts, and let's face it, that's the selling point of the game.
The Prophets are no more and so ends the old war that was waged since Halo 1. That does not mean the aliens to keep on individually or even in group (the Brutes, for example, I can hardly see running from the fight). Eventually, they will just create an excuse to make the game work.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Deus Ex forever
I'm pretty sure Halo PC is the only one I've fully completed, though I've played most of 2. I do like the books as easy reading when I'm not in the mood for something that requires thinking.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
Chad Dumeer, Deus Ex: "When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime", freedom and liberty have become words without meanings."
"Es lebe die Freiheit!"(Freedom lives)
Hans Scholl
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #15
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Snard View Post
Did they not say right there on the halo 3 game case that it was the conclusion?
Twas not a conclusion with the way the bloody thing ended

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
CptPriceless

Current Game: TSL
I'm looking forward to this. Have you guys seen the Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary Edition?
CptPriceless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
Mandalorian Knight
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
They also said after three too that it would be that last Halo (and three was the last Halo for me).
I thought they said that it would be the last one with the Master Chief? Regardless, it would appear to be a moot point, they're making another one.

I'm rather pleased with the Anniversary Edition of Combat Evolved. I think that will be highly enjoyable. As far as Halo 4 goes, I'm going to remain leery of it until I find out more. I'm not too excited about restarting a series that has already concluded (and concluded well, IMO).
Mandalorian Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #18
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptPriceless View Post
I'm looking forward to this. Have you guys seen the Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary Edition?
It's pure nostalgia, exactly why it'll be awesome. Though I've played the original so many times now they'll have to do more than just updating the graphics and gameplay.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #19
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Halo: Combat Evolved will always be the best Halo game IMO. The amount I still enjoy playing it today is kinda insane. All other Halo games are merely okay next to the power of CE. I think the Halo mythology was also best in its primitive form.

But in the end I view getting another Halo much better than getting more Call of Duty. I'd play generic sci-fi over the generic military shooter anyday.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon View Post
Halo: Combat Evolved will always be the best Halo game IMO. The amount I still enjoy playing it today is kinda insane. All other Halo games are merely okay next to the power of CE. I think the Halo mythology was also best in its primitive form.

But in the end I view getting another Halo much better than getting more Call of Duty. I'd play generic sci-fi over the generic military shooter anyday.
HD, up to date graphic remake, coming soon

Old 06-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #21
CptPriceless

Current Game: TSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
It's pure nostalgia, exactly why it'll be awesome. Though I've played the original so many times now they'll have to do more than just updating the graphics and gameplay.
I can't agree with you anymore. A lot of people think it's Bungie's lame excuse for making money. I don't mean to bash in them, but it's kind of true.

And sorry mate, you're probably not going to get anything more out of the campaign aside from eye candy. In an interview, the Bungie guys stated that the gameplay was going to remain the same. :[

Still, can't hurt to smile at the memories of the old classic Halo neh?

And the multiplayer might have some improvements.

CptPriceless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
A lot of people think it's Bungie's lame excuse for making money. I don't mean to bash in them, but it's kind of true.
Considering Bungie's not developing Anniversary, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

A Microsoft cash grab, perhaps. A Bungie one, no.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
Yeah, it's 343 Industries. Bungie is doing other stuff.

Anyway, who says Halo 4 has to have anything to do with the Human-Covenant War? Maybe they'll actually tread new ground with it.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #24
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
Anyway, who says Halo 4 has to have anything to do with the Human-Covenant War? Maybe they'll actually tread new ground with it.
Pretty sure Master Chief and Shepard are going to tag team some Reapers...

Shepard: Wrex.
Wrex: Chief.
Master Chief: Shepard.
Shepard: Chief.
Master Chief: Wrex.
Wrex: Shepard.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
Yeah, it's 343 Industries. Bungie is doing other stuff.

That's what I'd hope for. It'd be a pity if they didn't take advantage of 3's hypersleep ending to jump a decent amount into the future.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #26
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
And sorry mate, you're probably not going to get anything more out of the campaign aside from eye candy. In an interview, the Bungie guys stated that the gameplay was going to remain the same. :[
I saw that too. But maybe something has changed anyway, since on this same interview they have footage of assassination, a feature only introduced in Reach. Maybe that's just for multiplayer. Anyway, their purpose is remaking the game so there's no deviation on only updating the graphics. From what I've heard it's not going to be as expensive as a new release so I might end buying it.

Loved the campaign and the multiplayer classic maps. LAN partying with 4 connected Xbox was absurdly fun.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #27
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Yes! Can't wait for that one...FINALLY!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #28
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
It's amazing people think that Microsoft wouldn't take Halo further than Reach. Of course they're gonna milk it for everything it's worth. Why would the deviate from what every other company has done with IP's they have a hold of?
Like Lucasarts?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #29
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
The comparison between Microsoft and LucasArts does not compute.

Microsoft has been doing A LOT over the last few years and pushing their platform to as many people as they can through various means. LucasArts has been sitting there grinning like an idiot, waiting for BioWare to finish The Old Republic. If it wasn't for Microsoft pushing LucasArts to make a Kinect game they probably wouldn't have even done anything about that!

Anyway, back to Halo 4... it's way too early.

343 Industries should have done the Halo 1 remake then released the Halo 2 remake a year after. Only then after the release of Halo 2 remake should they have announced Halo 4 and made sure it was a launch title for their next generation console.

A new generation of Halo for a new generation of Xbox.

Instead of having 4 on 360 and possibly have 5 and 6 on the 720... seems stupid to split it that way when they could dedicate the 360 to the Human-Covenant War (Halo:Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Wars, Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach) and have the new system begin the new chapter in the story.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #30
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
i don't know about this one. its hard not to compare the Halo franchise to CoD since they're both cash cows, but i'd really prefer not to see Halo turn into some annual FPS launch like CoD.

and, yes, the recent ODST and Reach games are just more grabs for cash similar to the CoD releases, but there was one thing that stood out. you see, with CoD, all you really get from year to year is a new collection of multiplayer maps, a really short and uninteresting singleplayer, and zombies with every other release.

at least with the past couple iterations of Halo, you got something truly unique about the experience. ODST gave you a completely different way to play, and the storytelling was actually worthwhile to sit through (even if it was a smidgen predictable). Reach did something that Halo 2 should have done: bridge the gameplay of Halo CE with Halo 3, and it did so in a way that made sense.

that said, i'm really hoping that this doesn't turn into some CoD thing with something coming out every year. a bunch of half-baked products with nothing new is nothing to write home about, and i would prefer to see the really high quality that Bungie put into the franchise.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2011, 04:38 AM   #31
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

OST and Reach were the best in the series so far IMO... I'll reserve judgement about these games until I play them.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #32
.:Lord Revan:.

Current Game: MW3
Awsome when I finaly got around to playing the halo games from start to finish I was disapointed at the end of the third one.

Off Topic:Are they still making a Halo movie.
.:Lord Revan:. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #33
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon View Post
Halo: Combat Evolved will always be the best Halo game IMO.
This.

Although it's sad that the remake won't come to PC...

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #34
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

PC Gamers only ever got Halo 1 and 2. Great job leaving us hanging, Microsoft.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #35
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

In a perfect world where Microsoft wasn't using Halo as a cash cow, they'd get 343 Industries to create a dedicated Halo multiplayer game you download from Xbox Live that includes all of the multiplayer goodness from every Halo game ever released in one package that they could update every so often... you know, so they don't end up wasting disc space and having people choose between which flavour of Halo multiplayer they'd like to play today by choosing which disc they want to insert into their console...

@ Sabre: Your opinion doesn't count because you pirate everything

Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #36
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
PC Gamers only ever got Halo 1 and 2. Great job leaving us hanging, Microsoft.
Yes. But at least we got the best one (Halo CE).

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #37
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
The comparison between Microsoft and LucasArts does not compute.

Microsoft has been doing A LOT over the last few years and pushing their platform to as many people as they can through various means. LucasArts has been sitting there grinning like an idiot, waiting for BioWare to finish The Old Republic. If it wasn't for Microsoft pushing LucasArts to make a Kinect game they probably wouldn't have even done anything about that!
My point was it seems to me that LA is one example of a company that is not milking their IPs for all they are worth. I was specifically thinking of X-Wing, JK, Republic Commando, and possibly even KOTOR.

I wasn't comparing them to MS.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #38
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
@ Sabre: Your opinion doesn't count because you pirate everything
Hey pirates are people too, we have rights.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #39
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ Prime: Oh.

@ Sabre: Psh.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Halo 4