Thread: 'Revan' Cover Art Revealed
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
News
starwarsmmo.net newsfeed
 
News's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 413
Lightbulb 'Revan' Cover Art Revealed

Comic-Con is already rife with The Old Republic news and reveals, and the official SWTOR panel hasn’t even begun yet. The official cover art for the upcoming novel set in the Star Wars: The Old Republic universe and penned by Drew Karpyshyn, Revan, has been revealed. See the official synopsis of the novel here.

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...
News is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 953
It's a cool looking cover, although I would have preferred the red or purple saber over the green for Revan.


Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,431
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Yeah I thought green was kind of an odd choice. Red or blue would have been my choice but they can't please everybody.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Zerimar Nyliram
Senior Member
 
Zerimar Nyliram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Posts: 1,449
Forum Veteran 
He's in his Sith outfit, so therefore the blade ought to be red.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I'd say red would look better. But I don't see how giving him a blue/purple/yellow/cyan/viridian/silver/whatever blade color would fit the best. I guess when it comes to Revan players are still totally emotional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram View Post
He's in his Sith outfit, so therefore the blade ought to be red.
Not exactly. He's on his Mandalorian Wars armor. Seeing the green blade we could assume the cover depicts a moment in-between the Mando Wars and Revan's fall for the Dark Side.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Zerimar Nyliram
Senior Member
 
Zerimar Nyliram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Posts: 1,449
Forum Veteran 
Yeah, I never liked that take on it. I always assumed that the only reason why we see Revan in his full Sith armor in the Dantooine flashback is because the character the player controls is not aware at that point that he is Revan, so therefore the Force is substituting the image of the player himself (which is what he would have looked like at that time: a regular Jedi with no Sith armor) with an image of the infamous Dark Lord.

Also, in the comics, it is the mask that Revan dons during the Mandalorian Wars, not the entire getup. He wears his hooded Jedi robes with the mask before deflecting to the Sith, which the scenes from Revan's online timeline entry seem to suggest. Putting all of these clues together, it is my opinion that Revan constructed his famous Sith armor aboard the Star Forge, with the addition of his signature Mandalorian mask. The part of the game where you can reconstruct the robes aboard the Star Forge (if you're playing on the dark side) supports this.

Or . . . maybe the new novel will tell us otherwise. Still, retconning Revan's iconic Sith robes to be anything other than Sith robes is pretty cheap, in my opinion. (Although, if you want to be technical, constructing them on the Star Forge would make them Rakatan robes rather than Sith robes; but still, they were constructed for the purpose of serving as the attire for the Dark Lord of the Sith.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,192
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
They are his full sith Robes no doubt about it, Color Crystal? I think stylistically red would suit the outfit and mood, but there is no reason why he MUST use a so called Dark side Crystal color... I in fact liked the idea of Anakin being Vader but using his Blue blade, I think color coordination/vanity would be the last thing on a Sith Lords Mind


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Miltiades
Death... by Exile
 
Miltiades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bruges, Belgium
Posts: 2,831
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Maybe the cover represents a compromise between his light and dark side. The book covers parts of both Revan's past as a Jedi and as a Sith as well as going into the future in which he might be neither. It's a nice cover either way.


PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram View Post
Yeah, I never liked that take on it. I always assumed that the only reason why we see Revan in his full Sith armor in the Dantooine flashback is because the character the player controls is not aware at that point that he is Revan, so therefore the Force is substituting the image of the player himself (which is what he would have looked like at that time: a regular Jedi with no Sith armor) with an image of the infamous Dark Lord.
I was basing myself mainly on the game when I said that. And the Dantooine flashback, specifically. If the robes are truly infused with dark side (don't know if the Rakata would use robes like those, their clothing is so different) then that scene could very well be a plot hole.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Zerimar Nyliram
Senior Member
 
Zerimar Nyliram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Posts: 1,449
Forum Veteran 
Yeah, but like I said, I think the only reason the main character is seeing Revan in place of himself in that flashback is because he doesn't know that he is Revan. And the robes weren't necessarily of Rakatan design. It may be entirely possible that one could build whatever one wants aboard the Star Forge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #11
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Sorry, but this entire robes argument above is absurd.

1. Just because Revan did not have his full getup in the comics on the same day that he first got his mask in no way means that he did not don them afterward during the Mandalore War.
2. There is nothing about Revan's distinctive robes and armor that makes them specifically Sith robes and therefore forbids him from wearing them as a Jedi (the principle being the same as with Anakin's black/dark brown robes in the Prequels).
3. The images from the timeline videos depicting Revan have dubious accuracy as far as the outfit stuff is concerned, since according to those same videos, Bastila and Revan both fought Malak at the end, which decidedly is impossible in the game (and for a good reason).
4. There is no evidence to support the claim that Revan was not actually wearing those robes and mask on Dantooine, but rather that they were added to the vision in "post-production" to conceal his identity from himself. It's made rather clear in the game that these visions are specifically memories from his old self, and from an in-universe perspective there is no reason for the memory to have been edited in this way.
5. Just because Revan's Sith robes can be produced by the Star Forge years later does not mean they originated there.
6. Regardless of whether 5 is to be ignored, nobody should give a **** about item descriptions. Not this time.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 07-23-2011 at 11:36 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #12
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Hmm. Well, I guess it's winding down to the 'final hours', so to speak on this subject.
There are many questions on peoples' minds I'm sure. Not all will be answered, but much of it hopefully. The timing of the release, though, right before the game is officially released, must mean there is something they don't want you to know too soon. I've no doubt the book is also meant to be a lure for people to play.

I have my theories of the horrible fate that awaited Revan and his Jedi General and I'd be happy enough if they both simply died heroically. We're all probably in for a surprise or two, though. If they did what I think they did, that's going to make a lot of people unhappy. I hope not.

I am now wondering who cast that shadow over the mask in the Revan tomb vid for TOR.

Pushing my outlandish flimsy speculations aside now:

As much I am aware, the comic showed when Revan first donned the mandalorian mask on cathar. Malak still had a friendly demeanor in the background. He still wielded a blue saber (which actually was so deep it almost looked violet).

After Revan was finally captured, weren't his original robes destroyed? If memory serves the Star Forge robes had "seeing the original robes as abominable, the order burned them", as the description.
As to the mask itself...well I don't remember if that was included or not in the burning, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Least It was not mentioned in the description. So it's possible the mask in the tomb was the original. In any case I see no reason for absolute non-reproducibly of the items either.

Green lightsaber? Maybe green is an indication of ROTJ status in the KOTOR series?
I suppose it makes about as much sense as anything else like Mantle of the Force or Heart of the Guardian. Ahh goodies. No, wait, those probably were taken, just like Exar Kun's double bladed lightsaber found its way into the jedi vault for artifacts and relics.

Ironically, while Basty had a Yellow, Revan has now had all the other 4 basic sabercolors: red, blue, violet, and now green.

When and where does the cover art represent Revan? Personally I'd say the cover image represents the aftermath of the star forge battle. Matter of fact the background is exactly of the Sith Emperor's throne in the 5th timeline video @ 0:32. So that may very well be Revan making his final stand. Malak isn't with him either.

I hope Revan's skill was at least good enough with a blade that he got one good hit: performed a surgical maneuver and turned the Sith Emperor into Darth Uniball.

I think that this won't be all, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
3. The images from the timeline videos depicting Revan have dubious accuracy as far as the outfit stuff is concerned, since according to those same videos, Bastila and Revan both fought Malak at the end, which decidedly is impossible in the game (and for a good reason).
In one of the recent interviews with a developer (can't recall the exact one at the moment but I do believe it had something to do with showing the SW loyalists first teaser peek before the convention), he said if you notice some discontinuities, it may not be on accident and we may actually have an agenda.

This little tidbit maybe (and quite unfortunately imo) qualifies many little hints I have observed about "Revan reborn", and who that person is.
Personally the more I see about it the more I seriously don't like where it's going. It's like a snowballing effect on some nightmare you don't want to come true.

Quote:
5. Just because Revan's Sith robes can be produced by the Star Forge years later does not mean they originated there.
Agreed, as I think Revan made his own robes. Is it not possible there were multiple of those robes? Is it not possible he imprinted his original robes (or a similar design thereof) on the memory of the Star Forge? There are so many possibilities.Whichever way it worked it, all's well that ends well.

Quote:
6. Regardless of whether 5 is to be ignored, nobody should give a **** about item descriptions. Not this time.
Okay then. Whether retcons, duplications, or whatever is the case, I'm pretty sure it ultimately doesn't matter.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I'll defer to the knowledge of fellow LFers on this matter. I suppose it'd even make sense if LS Revan still wore the robes (or a replica) on the happenings post-KotOR 1.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
deathdisco
Bastards of Young
 
deathdisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Left of the Dial
Posts: 717
Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
How else are they going to depict Revan's appearance? Unless they want to give him a canonical face this is the only (iconic) way he's ever been depicted. A cover with his hooded face covered in shadow would just suck IMO.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
^^^I believe that a canonical face has more or less already been selected. As well, it said nothing about a mask for Revan's holocron image in Darth Bane: Path of Destruction. Still it's all relatively inconclusive.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
deathdisco
Bastards of Young
 
deathdisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Left of the Dial
Posts: 717
Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Implied maybe, but I believe they're still trying to keep it somewhat ambiguous. When you see this image you recognize instantaneous who the character is. You guys are reading way too much into it. Like I said it's the iconic version of Revan.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
^^^ Reading too much into it how, when I'm only clarifying something you said?


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
Lordjedi
Forumite
 
Lordjedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 509
Okay, we know Revan went into the Unknown Regions to defeat the "truth Sith" that somehow tricked the Mandalorians into fighting the Republic. Maybe the cover art is depicting Revan in the Unknown Regions. His blade would be green because it is canon that he was redeemed and he could have his old armor because maybe it was powerful and he needed it to defeat the "truth sith". Just a guess.
Lordjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
deathdisco
Bastards of Young
 
deathdisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Left of the Dial
Posts: 717
Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
^^^ Reading too much into it how, when I'm only clarifying something you said?
I'm referring to the status of his robes/armor (being used for the cover).
Were the originals destroyed? Isn't it Sith armor ect...

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
Zerimar Nyliram
Senior Member
 
Zerimar Nyliram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Posts: 1,449
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordjedi View Post
Okay, we know Revan went into the Unknown Regions to defeat the "truth Sith" that somehow tricked the Mandalorians into fighting the Republic. Maybe the cover art is depicting Revan in the Unknown Regions. His blade would be green because it is canon that he was redeemed and he could have his old armor because maybe it was powerful and he needed it to defeat the "truth sith". Just a guess.
But wearing the armor after he was redeemed is stupid because it was the armor used in the game to represent his status as a Sith Lord. That's why, until we're told otherwise, I refuse to believe Revan ever wore those robes as a good guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
DAWUSS
Junior Member
 
DAWUSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram View Post
He's in his Sith outfit, so therefore the blade ought to be red.
... and just once I'd like to see a Jedi wielding a red saber.


And IIRC, the only Sith that HASN'T wielded a red is Exar Kun...


I wonder if the green saber is also to suggest that canonically speaking, Revan/Mysterious Stranger is a Jedi Consular...
DAWUSS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #22
DAWUSS
Junior Member
 
DAWUSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdisco View Post
I'm referring to the status of his robes/armor (being used for the cover).
Were the originals destroyed? Isn't it Sith armor ect...
IIRC, they were.
DAWUSS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,192
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
.
And IIRC, the only Sith that HASN'T wielded a red is Exar Kun...
Karness Muur and Ajunta Pall wielded Yellow lightsabers, but we are talking the original Dark Jedi/Sith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
.
I wonder if the green saber is also to suggest that canonically speaking, Revan/Mysterious Stranger is a Jedi Consular...
I was, so that would work nicely


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #24
Lordjedi
Forumite
 
Lordjedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
And IIRC, the only Sith that HASN'T wielded a red is Exar Kun...
You forgot about Revan (TSL Purple)
Lordjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #25
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
@deathd: Gotcha. True, that's the only way we've ever have really seen Revan in any depiction. As to status: inconclusive imo. He had all but the mask as a jedi, and acquired it before going on to defeat mandalore and meet the Sith Emperor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
And IIRC, the only Sith that HASN'T wielded a red is Exar Kun...
Bane had violet until retconned. Kreia used advanced telekinesis to weild 3 violet sabers. Let's not forget Vader had his blue one from his previous incarnation as a jedi, albeit for a very short time.

I know those could "technically" be discredited, but I just thought I'd mention those.

Quote:
I wonder if the green saber is also to suggest that canonically speaking, Revan/Mysterious Stranger is a Jedi Consular...
I think it's part of the ambiguity thing going on, personally. IIRC he was said to be a good duelist by the council, and also the council said that even though they considered color to denote position in the order, color could be any that you choose which evidently is true about jedi with orange, silver, cyan, and violet blades. Not all jedi subscribed to the color=rank thing either, like Master Nemo.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > News > Republic Holonet > 'Revan' Cover Art Revealed
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump