lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Join folding@home with TeamLFN !
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #121
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Got my 460gtx after Q's advice and thinking it all through... plus the results of those 460's sli'd beating the 480 was quite interesting - thanks to Astro and Q for keeping me informed!

The 460 rocks as a folder... now I just have to get my 250gts working in my old Dell box.

On that note, and this is the wrong place to ask... I forgot to computer uninstall my BFG gt210 before physically uninstalling it and installing the 250. Result: BSOD 0x7b, which has to be a driver issue. Cannot boot to Safe Mode. Sigh.

Repair install or just Nuke it? I have everything backed up, but I also have limited installs on ME2 before I have to lock horns with EA, and you know... all the installing, updating, blah blah blah.

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #122
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Cant even get into safe mode? That is an unforgiving mainboard! I just pulled a EVGA 8800GTS out of my old shuttle SN27P2 gaming rig and put in a cheap old gigabyte 8500 to free up the second slot for a TV tuner to make that rig a HTPC. I didn't get that..

I'd definitely try a repair install first - seeing you have game installs on there

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #123
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I wanted to break in my new PC specs, so I installed the Beta V7 FAHControl client. I'm running the CPU and GPU slot thingies.

According to my mobo's sensors, my CPU is running 100% at 70C and Mobo at 36C. I need to see if 70C is too hot or not.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #124
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
What kind of CPU?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #125
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

Intel Core i7 2600K. The whole Tcase vs Core Temp thing is confusing. Can't seem to find a direct answer anywhere on what the optimal/max temperature should be.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #126
Q
The one who knocks

Have you tried Core Temp? It's pretty accurate.

I use it or Real Temp when torture testing, and I haven't seen much of a difference between the 2.

EDIT: For the ultimate torture test, use IntelBurnTest. Set the number of threads to 8, the memory usage to max and it will get your CPU hotter than anything in real-world usage can. IntelBurnTest uses LinPack, which is what Intel uses to stress test their CPUs before shipping them. Use it in conjunction with either Core Temp or Real Temp, run it for an hour, and, if its max temp is anything below 85C (it can actually be anything below 90C; 100C is the supposed max, but 85C is where I draw the line), you're fine.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 09-23-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #127
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

I got myself a Coolermaster heatsink/fan and it dropped temperatures 20 degrees. I'm running F@H, 100% on all cores, and the temperature is hovering around 50-53C.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #128
Q
The one who knocks

Yeah, you should be fine, then.

Sandy Bridge runs cool, but those Intel stock heatsinks (if that's what you were using) are usually woefully inadequate. I used the one that came with my Bloomfield just until I could find a decent deal on a good aftermarket heatsink and my CPU would routinely go well over 70C just in normal everyday use.

-Toker
Old 04-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #129
JediExile
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
I added it back. I finally have a machine that can handle it without going crazy.

Revenge of Revan || Deadly Streams || Follow me on Twitter!

"Hey! You talk to her with a bit of respect in your voice or you'll end this conversation minus a few teeth! Got it?" -Carth Onasi
"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it." -Atton Rand

JediExile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Join folding@home with TeamLFN !