lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KotOR: Echo of the Force
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
KotOR: Echo of the Force

Well, I have looked forward to making this thread for quite some time. I am pleased to finally announce this mod. I am quite grateful for everyone who has helped me learn everything I currently know about modding; Also, I am grateful for those who have encouraged me over the years. So, after that introduction, I am now announcing...

Plot Introduction
Years after the Battle of Telos IV, the Republic struggles to recover from the war. A series of systems have seceded from the Republic. Attacking from an unknown source, the planet Darrax is under attack. In the midst of a debate in the Senate, the Jedi Council sends a lone Jedi to investigate...

Companions
Show spoiler

Planets
Show spoiler

Progress
Show spoiler

Team Recruitment
I am looking for additional modders to help with this mod in the following areas:
  • Modelers (mostly planets)
  • Skinners (characters & modules)
  • Dialog Writers
  • Side Quest Ideas

Screenshots
Show spoiler

Deadly Stream Thread
Kast's Echo Thread

Last edited by Ferc Kast; 10-30-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added link and updated info...
Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Snard
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR II
I'm glad you finally uploaded it. You've been talking on Hssiss about it for months. Good luck

Last edited by Snard; 08-23-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Snard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
newbiemodder
Gentleman Modder

Veteran Modder 
Good luck Ferc!

Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows?

Just exactly what is a head-piece to the Staff of Ra?

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206819

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206541

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...t=newbiemodder
newbiemodder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
mr_dad
Rookie

Nice. I can help with skinning the characters.

mr_dad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Warlord664

Current Game: swtor
Contest winner - Modding 
Very cool! Glad you made the thread. I might be able to give you some side quest ideas.
Warlord664 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
You actually made the thread! Congrats! And the screenies look great!

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Ferc Kast
Modder

Well, I realized I hadn't posted in here for a while. I've done some more work on this between school and work. The initial areas are almost done & playable. I should be starting to work on the first planet relatively soon. I also got a couple skins ready for further in the mod. (Trying to do each area chronologically; But, I may start jumping between various areas just to get them done. ) On a side note, since the last update, I found out that my laptop is entirely supported on Windows 7; So, I made the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. (I backed up everything before upgrading, so no work was lost in the process.)

I noticed one problem when I was testing my initial areas for any bugs: Upon transiting to the second area, my temporary party member is on the wrong side of a static door. Any ideas how to fix this problem? Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't stopped working on this, despite not making an update post in a couple months.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
newbiemodder
Gentleman Modder

Veteran Modder 
You could move the starting point of the module a little farther away from the door to allow for the party members to be seen...use the whereami armband or equivalent to get the coords then make the changes in .ifo file. Otherwise, when you start to move, the party member should catch up to you the farther you get from him/her.

Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows?

Just exactly what is a head-piece to the Staff of Ra?

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206819

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206541

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...t=newbiemodder
newbiemodder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
JebusJM
Rookie

Current Game: Garry's Mod
Helpful! 
I didn't see this thread at first, but the mod sounds really interesting. Maybe Jebord Esio can make a cameo...?

Current work in progress: The Tale of Jebord Esio
JebusJM is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
harIII
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferc Kast View Post
Well, I realized I hadn't posted in here for a while. I've done some more work on this between school and work. The initial areas are almost done & playable. I should be starting to work on the first planet relatively soon. I also got a couple skins ready for further in the mod. (Trying to do each area chronologically; But, I may start jumping between various areas just to get them done. ) On a side note, since the last update, I found out that my laptop is entirely supported on Windows 7; So, I made the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. (I backed up everything before upgrading, so no work was lost in the process.)

I noticed one problem when I was testing my initial areas for any bugs: Upon transiting to the second area, my temporary party member is on the wrong side of a static door. Any ideas how to fix this problem? Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't stopped working on this, despite not making an update post in a couple months.
You have to get your x, y, and z coordinates with the whereami armband. Then open up the module.ifo file for that specific area and then change the mod entry coordinates. They should be somewhere near the top.
harIII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Ferc Kast
Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harIII View Post
You have to get your x, y, and z coordinates with the whereami armband. Then open up the module.ifo file for that specific area and then change the mod entry coordinates. They should be somewhere near the top.
Strangely, after tweaking the starting coordinates, my party member still sometimes spawns on the wrong side of the door. But, at other times, he spawns in the correct spot.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
harIII
Veteran

Helpful! 
Try starting a new game. This type of modification often requires a new game to see the effect.
harIII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Ferc Kast
Modder

Well, update time: First, I fixed the bug mentioned in my last post. Second, there are now journal entries for the quests so far. So, I am going through & adding the entries/quests in-game. Finally, I am almost done with the initial version of the Corsair Nova. As such, I expect to be working on the next planet soon. With this in mind, I thought to give a video clip from the beginning of the Corsair Nova. (Side note: still trying to tweak the camera so it shows the player at the beginning instead of the droid.)

View page
YouTube Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebusJM View Post
I didn't see this thread at first, but the mod sounds really interesting. Maybe Jebord Esio can make a cameo...?
Maybe, if the model used for him is in TSL's game files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harIII View Post
Try starting a new game. This type of modification often requires a new game to see the effect.
Worked perfectly when I restarted again, but only after you suggested it.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
Scorge
Jedi Master

Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Looks awesome
Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
Warlord664

Contest winner - Modding 
Looks very good so far ferc ty for the video!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Yummy video! I could only wonder what will happen on Darrax...

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
UltimateHK47
Forumite

Current Game: Kotor 1
Id love to help out in dialog writing and side quest ideas. Hope its going well.
UltimateHK47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
Lord Dagron
Rookie

Current Game: TFU , TFU2
Looks awesome Ferc.

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering." Yoda
" You don't know the true nature of the force , I must obey my master" Darth Vader
" And now young Jedi, you will die" The Emperor

Formerly Known As Darth Riddick
Lord Dagron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
UltimateHK47
Forumite

yes, when your vO's come out for that seen it will be brilliant. Do you still need team members, my offfer stands above.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Ferc Kast
Modder

It's been going slowly since my last update; However, things are starting to progress more in its development. I should have some new screenshots in the next post of how things are coming along.

I have found a minor bug, which I thought I ought to ask here rather than make a new thread: On a new party member, I made a custom item that only they are able to use; However, by using the useable by NPC property on it, it says "Useable by: Atton" instead of "Useable by: (Insert New Party Member's Name Here)." Does anyone know what exactly do I have to edit to fix this bug?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #21
Ferc Kast
Modder

Well, it's time again for a mini update for EotF. Last time, I asked about a minor bug I had found. Since then, Ive found a temporary fix for my problem until someone can figure out how to fix it the way I was hoping for it to be fixed. Also, I am starting to work on the next module in-game. (Yay for Darth333's whereami band.)

Finally, I am getting around to reskinning those terrible looking "potato sack(s)" from the vanilla KotOR II; Personally, I find it to look more Jedi-esque now. However, I would like to find out what your opinions are about the reskin. I also wondered if there was interest for me to release it for TSL in addition to including it in EotF. So, give me your input so I can take the needed action(s).

Show spoiler

Last edited by Ferc Kast; 05-02-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #22
UltimateHK47
Forumite

Wow sweet. Yes i think you should release it as a seperate mod. I like it and think many would welcome it into their override.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #23
Xinaith
Banned

I'm a bit confused, is the mod for KOTOR or TSL?
Xinaith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #24
DeathScepter
Rookie

TSL
DeathScepter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #25
Xinaith
Banned

Oh alright, Thanks.
Xinaith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
Qui-Don Jorn

Current Game: The Old Republic
Helpful! 
Looks good, good luck!
Qui-Don Jorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
Ferc Kast
Modder

*Blows off dust in thread* This thread has gotten a bit dusty. To fix that, it's time for an update on progress: I have gotten a bit more done on the mod. It's mostly been plot details, a few new selectable heads, along with some content implementation into the game itself. I don't any new screenshots or videos, though. In their stead, here are some party member background stories for EotF.
  • OB-48 - Combat Droid (Temporary Party Member)
    OB-48 will be found on the Corsair Nova. OB-48 is the personal bodyguard droid of Captain Dax Mindar. He has currently been programmed to ensure your safe arrival to Darrax, by any means necessary.
  • Adri Vale - Jedi Master/ Female/ Echani
    Adri Vale was the PC's Jedi Master, following the Battle of Telos IV. She will be found on Darrax on an unrelated assignment; But, after the events that transpire there, the Jedi Council will have her aid you in pursuing the matter.
  • Subal Mahkon - Scout/ Male/ Devaronian
    Subal Mahkon is a reputable pilot, who will get the PC to his/her destination(s). He was a previous pilot of the Ebon Hawk while Davik owned it. He rarely talks about his past. Subal has flown from one side of the galaxy to the other.
  • T3-M4 - Astromech Droid
    T3-M4 was created by Janis on Taris. T3-M4 was responsible for getting the launch codes to allow Revan and his party to escape. T3 can tell you about the events of KotOR I & II. T3 has retained his excellent repair & computer skills, which in handy from time to time.

Contest
I am allowing you to PM me an idea for a new party member. The winner will have his/her character included in Echo of the Force. Below are the requirements of your entry:
  • Include their background, species and gender.
  • General artwork, or even reskins you made, of the character are a plus.
  • The party member has to be a species (or droid) that are (or can be made with) existing models from KotOR II
  • Deadline: March 15th

More Coming Soon...

Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
UltimateHK47
Forumite

Nice progress. Like the hilt screenie

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...12#post2807812
The Turret Arcade 1.2 ^^

USED TO BE KNOWN AS DARTH JANGO/WEASLEY
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
OldRepublicFan01
Rookie

Current Game: KotORII
Looks Good!

OldRepublicFan01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #30
Ferc Kast
Modder

Before I get too far into this post, I have two general reminders.

Contest
There are only 12 days left to submit an entry. See my last post for details on entry requirements.

Team Member Recruitment
I am still looking for additional modders to help with this mod. The following are the specialties I'm looking for:
  • Modelers (Mostly for Planets, but general modeling is good too.)
  • Skinners (NPCs & Planets)
  • Dialog Writers
  • Side Quest Ideas

Having said that, my update today is a continued list of companions and their background stories. On a side note before I continue: The next update, if done before the contest ends, will be a regular update (mostly likely with some pictures.)
  • Koran Vox - Soldier/ Male/ Mandalorian
    Koran Vox is a Mandalorian, who was present for the Battle of Malachor V. He also was present for the Battle of Telos IV. He was sent by Mandalore the Preserver to find out about the attacks on Darrax. When he missed his opportunity, he decided to take a detour before returning to Dxun.
  • HK-47 - Assassin Droid
    HK-47 was created by Revan, following the Battle of Malachor V. He has been assigned by both Revan and the Exile to keep tabs on activity from criminal organizations, such as Czerka and the Exchange. HK's aggressive personality and dislike of meatbags still remain intact.
  • Kira Sadow - Scoundrel/ Female/ Human
    Kira Sadow is a smuggler, who was captured on route for a shipment. She was taken prisoner during the Corsair Nova's journey to Darrax. Once the ship was under attack, she managed to escape her cell. Her street skills are handy from time to time.
  • Ora Vaona - Jedi Sentinel/ Female/ Twi'lek
    Ora Vaona is still a Padawan, but has great potential. Recently, she was sent with her Master to Ryloth to get information on the Exchange's recent actions there; Unfortunately, their presence was discovered. They killed her Master, but took her prisoner. The Jedi Council is still debating how best to free her.

Website
I have a temporary website for Echo of the Force online; The final/"real" website will be released later in production. I thought it would be nice to have one before the final one is publicly released. Also, the NPC portraits shown may not necessarily be the final version.

More Coming Soon...

Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #31
Warlord664

Contest winner - Modding 
Very nice update Ferc. Can't wait to see who wins the contest!

Lets rock and role play!

http://xat.com/TSLModding
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #32
Scorge
Jedi Master

In one week the winning entry will be announced, can't wait.

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #33
Warlord664

Contest winner - Modding 
The Last day before the 15th....Now we all wait in suspense.

Lets rock and role play!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #34
Ferc Kast
Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObiWan View Post
In one week the winning entry will be announced, can't wait.
Clarification: I didn't say it would be the 15th that it'd be announced (per se.) I only said that the contest will end on the 15th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord664 View Post
The Last day before the 15th....Now we all wait in suspense.

As do I; Although, I'm waiting instead for those who decide to do last-minute entries.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #35
Ferc Kast
Modder

Greetings, meatba......I mean, hello there. Today is an exciting day. There is a small update to report, as well as some other exciting stuff. But, first...

Team Member Recruitment
Can I stress enough how things go faster when multiple people are working together? Having said that, I am still looking for modders to help make this mod. Especially since a couple of the planets require modeling to even be possible. The following list contains specific areas of modding (not limited, though, to these specific areas) that I am looking for in team members:
  • Modeling (Custom Modules, NPCs, etc)
  • Skinning (NPCs, planets, etc.)
  • Dialog Writing
  • Side Quest Ideas

Update
With that out of the way, it is time for an update: Firstly, for those who are unaware, I am writing an extended backstory for Kira Sadow called A Debt Unpaid (see the link in my signature.) It is intended as a treat while Echo of the Force is still in production; And, its story will end close to where EotF's storyline begins. Secondly, the other day, I made and have in-game a head skin for the party member Subal Mahkon (who was only mentioned for the first time a few posts ago.) I don't have custom clothes for him yet, but I thought to at least get his head done

Show spoiler

Contest
Well, today officially ended the party member contest!! Thank you to all who sent in an entry. It was definitely a tough decision...But since the contest ended, it had to be done.

Without further ado, the winner...s are:
  • christos200's male Human, Xin
  • Warlord664's male Rodian, Saverak Vornskar

Congratultations, you two!! And, I'd also like to thank all those who submitted an entry.

Website
On that exciting note, I have yet more exciting news: I have acquired a new domain name for my modding site; What is more news is that I have started construction on it. Eventually, it will eventually have a dedicated section for Echo of the Force. Until then, I would like your opinion on the site's setup. To find out about and/or download my mods, would you prefer like to have/be:
  1. Blog entries with screenshots, download links, etc. (Using Wordpress)
  2. Blog entry about the mod, but separate page with the screenshots, download links, etc. (Wordpress for blog entry, separate page for mod)
  3. Other (specify in your post.)

More Coming Soon...

Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #36
Scorge
Jedi Master

Congrats Warlord664 and christos200!!!!! If you want, I could tweak the head a bit for more detail Ferc. I expected Subal Mahkon to be red, but oh well, green is cool too!

Formally MrObiWan

Last edited by Scorge; 03-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #37
Warlord664

Contest winner - Modding 
Awesome update! Subal's head looks nice. the green took me a little off guard at first because I don't believe i'd ever seen a green devaronian before, but it certently will make him look different. And grats to christos200! Wasn't expecting two winners. As for the site, I would go with option B. And thanks MrObiWaN.

Lets rock and role play!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #38
christos200
Rookie

Current Game: battlefront 2
Contest winner - Modding 
I just show this. My character is chosen.

Quote:
And grats to christos200!
Thanks grats also to you too.

Quote:
Congrats Warlord664 and christos200!!!!!
Also this alien in the pic is just great. I cant wait for this mod, although i know that it will take a lot of time. ( I tried to do a TC once, but i gave up. It needs very hard work to create a TC.)
christos200 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #39
Scorge
Jedi Master

Can't wait for more updates...

Formally MrObiWan

Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #40
Ferc Kast
Modder

*blows metaphorical dust off of thread* Phew...nearly a month's worth of dust. Let me assure you that this mod project, despite a month of not posting more, is still alive. (Aside: Huzzah; this thread has reached 2 pages!! ) Before I continue, let me say that I hate to sound like a broken record; however, I do have a friendly reminder to say before the update...

Team Member Recruitment
While one person can bring about change, progress takes off when multiple persons are working together on something. That being said, I am still in need of further modders to further Echo of the Force (hereafter called by its' acronym, EotF) in its' progression. Without further modders, this mod could be destined to move along slowly. So, the following list contains specific areas of modding (not limited, though, to these specific areas) that I am looking for in team members:
  • Modeling (Custom Modules, NPCs, etc)
  • Skinning (NPCs, planets, etc.)
  • Dialog Writing
  • Side Quest Ideas

If you are interested in helping to make EotF, send me a PM with your user name, the type of modding and a personal sample of that type of modding.

Update
I have a few screenshots to visually show progress. (Yes, I will get back to setting up the plot/planets soon enough.) This time, like my last update, my modding has been focused on party members. I have been making placeholder utc's (including temporary portraits and custom appearances), ensuring their recruitment scripts will work, etc. As of the other day, I have only 2 more party members to make. As far as the screenshots go, christos200's Xin (from the contest) has his custom appearance. (I plan to get around to Warlord664's Saverak Vornskar in the near future.) Also, I decided to make a connection between the KotOR series and the prequel trilogy. I created a new skin for the war droid model that resembles the appearance of the Battle Droids. The first war droid in EotF that the player will see with this new skin is OB-48 from the Corsair Nova.

Show spoiler

FAQ
Beginning with this post, I will have a dedicated section in my updates with questions that people ask about Echo of the Force. You can either post them in either the Deadly Stream thread, in this thread or PM/VM me. (I will keep the asker's user name anonymous when posting them.) If I get a bunch of them, I may record Q/A sessions and post them on YouTube.

Q: I'm pretty sure you've read the Revan novel. Thus, you know about T3-M4's fate. Therefore, how can T3-M4 be still alive in your mod?
A: I have known about T3's fate since I read the Revan novel. Right now, I merely listed him as a placeholder until I make a new astromech droid.

Q: How many years after KotOR 2 does KotOR: EotF occur?
A: KotOR: EotF takes place around 5 or so years after KotOR 2.

Q: Do you plan to include anybody from Revan's and the Exile's party members (aside from T3 and HK) in the game?
A: It has crossed my mind, but I have not come to a final decision about including other party members from the previous games.

Website
So, I've doing so HTML coding recently for my future modding website. I would like your opinion before continuing to design and set it up: Would you prefer that finish the site for my previously released mods before or after finishing EotF's future site? (Both sites are already in progress.)

More Coming Soon...

Last edited by Ferc Kast; 05-11-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Posted instructions for those interested in helping...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > KotOR: Echo of the Force