Thread: Sony To Develop A Free-To-Play Clone Wars MMO?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
News
starwarsmmo.net newsfeed

Lightbulb Sony To Develop A Free-To-Play Clone Wars MMO?

The rumor? Sony Online Entertainment has once again partnered up with LucasArts to develop a browser-based Star Wars MMO set in the Clone Wars period. Sony would use the browser-based engine used to power free-to-play MMO Free Realms to develop the game and it would be aimed at a casual audience based on [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...
News is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Moved this one to off-topic since it's not related to TOR, but was still relevant to post on the site. What do you guys think of more Clone Wars?

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I ignore everything that is Clone Wars these days. It's aimed at a younger audience (the audience watching the animated series), so it wasn't going to be my cup of tea anyway.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

I don't see why I wouldn't **** around with it considering its free.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
Web Rider

WAT....Why on Earth would LucasArts make two MMOs at the same time? Divide and conquer is a strategy used AGAINST a competitor, not by yourself.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #6
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
WAT....Why on Earth would LucasArts make two MMOs at the same time? Divide and conquer is a strategy used AGAINST a competitor, not by yourself.
I don't really think the audiences for TOR and a game like this are the same. With a browser based MMO, the playerbase are going to be casual and probably younger considering it will be based on the Clone Wars TV show.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-06-2009, 03:08 AM   #7
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I don't really think the audiences for TOR and a game like this are the same. With a browser based MMO, the playerbase are going to be casual and probably younger considering it will be based on the Clone Wars TV show.
My mistake, I missed the browser-based part. heh, tired.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Have you ever thought something is so terribly crap, over done, and a hindrance to it's franchise... Yet it keeps returning like its a good thing or something?? I'm so sick of seeing this damn Cartoon network "hey kids it's Barney and Ahsoka' fun-day Disney Playground show!! This week because (as we keep saying) George is on board, we thought we'd retcon a few more books characters and storyline's for ya "

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
"Free-to-play" huh, well that's enough to get my attention. All though I'm no big fan of the Clone Wars, I think I'll just give it a shot and at the same time maybe increase my MMO experiance too.

Who knows, could be fun.

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
darthfergie
Q-38 Modulator

LFN Staff Member 
If they make it, it's gonna be all about the kiddies. All of the kids that I coach absolutely love the clone wars and when I talk about the awesomeness of the Original Trilogy many of them have never even seen it. It really makes me sad. These kids are being raised on sugary delights of clone wars instead of the meat of the OT.

No children, Anakin is NOT cooler than Han Solo...who is Han Solo?!?! You know the guy who flies the Millennium Falcon. What's the Falcon?!?!

darthfergie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfergie View Post
No children, Anakin is NOT cooler than Han Solo...who is Han Solo?!?! You know the guy who flies the Millennium Falcon. What's the Falcon?!?!
One minute of silence for this sad news.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

Current Game: KotOR II
I have not been impressed with the clone wars recently it is aimed at way too young an audiance and I would much rather see an original trilogy related MMO but it is free so I guess I'll check it out.

My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived
your life from the beginning to the end and ka is always served.”

― Stephen King, The Dark Tower
Mandalore The Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
Deadshot#1
Rookie

Current Game: SW: BFII
What does MMO stand for exactly?

Quote:
When do I get paid?
Deadshot#1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot#1 View Post
What does MMO stand for exactly?
Massively Multiplayer Online.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
Deadshot#1
Rookie

Current Game: SW: BFII
Oh, I see thanks Jeff.

Quote:
When do I get paid?
Deadshot#1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #16
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
if it weren't for the free part, I probably wouldn't give it a second glance...

Clone Wars... Can't think of anything that makes older SW fans want to tear their hair out more... MAYBE Midichlorians...

SOE... um doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation within the MMO community... Can't think of a developer that makes MMO fans cringe more...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #17
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick187 View Post
I don't see why I wouldn't **** around with it considering its free.
Maverick is, as always, stunnifyingly correct.

And even if it ends up more boring than it should, we can probably close some pools with some /b/lackup. >_>

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Spadille
Rookie

Current Game: Saint's Row
I hope they are making it, even if it ends up as a tragidy.
Then LucasArts can figure out that it's not very good working with Sony...
And if it becomes a sucess, Hooray for me!
Spadille is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Since it's free, I'll have a look, though honestly, I don't see how they can make any sort of Star Wars RPG set during the movies. And yes, I am aware of Galaxies.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
TheRogueForums
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
I ignore everything that is Clone Wars these days. It's aimed at a younger audience (the audience watching the animated series), so it wasn't going to be my cup of tea anyway.
Don't be so quick- the newer episodes are much more what we, as Star Wars fans, and not 5-year-olds, are used to.

TheRogueForums is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #21
Jeff

I hope this is not LucasArts's announcement at the Spike VGAs...

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
TheRogueForums
Rookie

You can bank on it, unfortunately.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #23
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueForums View Post
You can bank on it, unfortunately.
So certain, are you?

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #24
TheRogueForums
Rookie

Hmmmm. You present an appealing case for review.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #25
darthfergie
Q-38 Modulator

LFN Staff Member 
I doubt it'll be the kids title. From what Kotaku was saying it'll be Star Wars: Legends and it'll be rated M in australia. I doubt a kids title would be rated M.

(EDIT - Woops. Look before you leap. Just noticed Kaine's post was a link and not just text)

Last edited by darthfergie; 12-10-2009 at 06:01 PM.
darthfergie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueForums View Post
Don't be so quick- the newer episodes are much more what we, as Star Wars fans, and not 5-year-olds, are used to.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Some episodes yes. Others, not for such an young audience.

By that logic, ANH was made for a younger audience too. Did you ignored it?

I respect your opinion if you don't like the show, but it's a bit strange to judge a series for some episodes and completely ignoring the rest...

I'm 22, and I watch it. Am I a kid?

As for the MMO, if it's free, what do I have to loose? I'll give it a try.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #27
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfergie View Post
[robot chicken Darth Sidious]"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?!?[/robot chicken Darth Sidious]

My kids love clone wars, I find it to be OK. It's watchable and even enjoyable at times, but not something I'd watch 18 zillion times like the movies. The kids will love the MMO, I'll love the price.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #28
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I watch the Clone Wars with my kids (they are 5 and 3), but in all honestly, I think I enjoy it more than they do. They often get bored half-way through. However, they ALWAYS ask to watch the movies (both the OT and the PT), and never seem to tire of those.

As for the animated series - it's certainly not the OT - but I am surprised by the rampant criticism on these boards. The series is at least entertaining and, after a kiddish start, has really started to show some more grown-up themes.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #29
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
As for the animated series - it's certainly not the OT - but I am surprised by the rampant criticism on these boards. The series is at least entertaining and, after a kiddish start, has really started to show some more grown-up themes.
Indeed. Many here judge the series by the movie, others say it's a kids show and don't even give it a shot. (and also forget that Star Wars movies were made for kids too.) I wished there was a Star Wars tv series like this during my childhood.

Many people out there say that the tv series is even better than the prequels. (Which in terms of story and acting, they're right)
Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #30
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Indeed. Many here judge the series by the movie, others say it's a kids show and don't even give it a shot. (and also forget that Star Wars movies were made for kids too.) I wished there was a Star Wars tv series like this during my childhood.

Many people out there say that the tv series is even better than the prequels. (Which in terms of story and acting, they're right)
That's a great point - I absolutely wish there was something like this when I was a kid. Hell I'm grateful for it now. With the droughts SW fans have had to suffer through, this is actually a really good time to be a fan with all that's out there and what's to come (i.e. the live action series).

Additionally, I have 2 kids (5 and 3), and sometimes my kids actually get scared during the show. The recent episode with the Geonosian mind-controlling worm-things freaked them out. There are also some pretty brutal deaths for a "kids show". One recent example is Bariss Offee and Ahsoka confronting a trooper that had been "infected" by the worms - the solution was quick and simple - a lightsaber through the chest at point blank range. She literally placed the hilt to his chest and ignited the saber. Not gory, but not aimed at kids either.

Ignoring the Mandalorian issue, which I'm still unsure about, I really like the direction Dave Filoni is taking the show.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #31
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
That's a great point - I absolutely wish there was something like this when I was a kid. Hell I'm grateful for it now. With the droughts SW fans have had to suffer through, this is actually a really good time to be a fan with all that's out there and what's to come (i.e. the live action series).
Exactly. The best thing this show is doing is not letting Star Wars die. This show is creating a new generation of Star Wars fans, and pleasing the old ones.

Quote:
Ignoring the Mandalorian issue, which I'm still unsure about, I really like the direction Dave Filoni is taking the show.
Me too. On a side note, the Death Watch bomber and his suicide was definitely not made for kids either.

About this game, here's a very recent print of Station Launcher. The info about TCW was removed some time after:

Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #32
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
I cant believe I'm just now seeing this. If it's free I suppose it's worth a looksy, but I'm not expecting much...

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #33
decalibron
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect 2
i dunno, i think it's worth a shot, despite being an SOE time-bomb. certainly better than the pathetic excuses of free-2-play MMOs i've been messing around with waiting for TOR...besides, when you don't pay, what do you have to lose?

“In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that He did not also limit his stupidity.”
-Konrad Adenauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
1. Reschedule the game release [Light side]
2. Go ahead with release [Neutral]
3. Destroy Activision-Blizzard's offices, massacre their employees, eat their children and abduct their women [Dark side]
decalibron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #34
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Yeah I think it would be more akin to a Club Penguin or NeoPets.

The Clone Wars is a pretty meaty brand for LucasArts right now. They may as well strike while the oven is hot.

Although I seem to remember Sony Online and LucasArts sort of not doing so well with their other Star Wars MMO project....

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Community > Tosche Station > Sony To Develop A Free-To-Play Clone Wars MMO?