Thread: The Old Republic for Dummies
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #121
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If you are a healer you should have some sort of combat stance that generates less threat, just as tank companions should have a stance that generates more.

I'm not sure if TOR factors in gear to threat, but regardless reducing your armour below optimum is not a strategy I would recommend. You should always be looking to wear the best gear possible, kitted out with whatever mods are appropriate for your class. If you are a Smuggler Scoundrel I guess Cunning is your primary stat?
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #122
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Cunning is the primary stat for all Smugglers, regardless of Advanced Class.

"Women are like sunsetsÖ theyíre beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #123
.:Lord Revan:.

Current Game: MW3
This i am sure is a dumb: question why does the game cost monthly?
.:Lord Revan:. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #124
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Lord Revan:. View Post
This i am sure is a dumb: question why does the game cost monthly?
MMOs are vast games, it costs money to run the servers, update/add new content, fix bugs, pay developers, and provide you with a an ongoing Multiplayer experience.

besides, it works out at like 30 pence a day lol, I find more than 30 pence on the floor around the coffee machines at work every day.

((Edited for my bad Math lol))

Last edited by adamqd; 01-14-2012 at 06:39 AM.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #125
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The same reason World of Warcraft does. It's the established business model for running a perpetual online game. Now with the idea of free to play with microtransactions there is an alternative model, but TOR was already too far down the road in development by the time that became a realistic prospect. It's not inconceivable that it may convert at some point, as other MMOs have done in the recent past, especially if their hand is forced by low subscriber numbers/high turnover.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #126
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Alright I had to have a non-TOR player show me how to see how long I've played the game.

So for those new to MMOs, what are the chat commands and what do they do?

Ones I have so far: (for the noobs, like me, these are typed into the chat box)

/played - tells you how long you've played (not sure if it is total time or just for that character).

/S -Say (not sure if you have to type a name here or not. Anyone know?)

/Y - Yell (same as above)

/W other players name send a private message to another player.

/General (also /1) - General Chat

/G - Chat with guild member only

/Who other players name look for someone

/PVP (or /2) - Pvp chat

/Trade (or /3) - Trade Chat

Whatelse you got?

Edit: May have found them all. Nice thread for on the bioware forum. Answers my own question...

Last edited by mimartin; 12-29-2011 at 12:20 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #127
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
/say and /yell are so that only players around you can see when you "say" or "yell something. You just type in "/say" and then a space and type whatever you want, no need to type in names since anyone around you will hear it. Yell is the same but with a larger area around you that people will see the mesage.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #128
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Also, /say and /yell are the only forms of cross-faction communication possible.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #129
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
So I have Heroic Quests that are greyed out in the Quest Log because I'm above their intended level. Since I found out that doesn't necessarily mean that it's easier to finish these quests, I'd like to do them with other people. Will they get the regular experience from these quests or would my character influence the exp gain of all others as well (meaning we'd all get less)?

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #130
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Also, /say and /yell are the only forms of cross-faction communication possible.
I noticed I couldn't even emote to a Sith player today. Pretty lame if you ask me, and I think you used to be able to, either in beta or the previous patch version.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #131
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
They took it out because of all the cross-faction trash talking and the subsequent whinging by people about it. Of course after they removed it, everyone whinged instead that now they couldn't do that any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Will they get the regular experience from these quests or would my character influence the exp gain of all others as well (meaning we'd all get less)?
I think XP scales on how much of the damage you do. So if your high level char basically does all the work killing a mob and your friend's low level char is essentially just there gently poking it, they may not get much XP. You could try drawing the aggro but not actually causing any damage. Or just healing your friend's char (directly or with a companion).

Last edited by DarthParametric; 01-03-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #132
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
I think XP scales on how much of the damage you do.
Wait. How can that be right?

Why would a healer or a tank ever go on a Heroic Quests then?

Last edited by mimartin; 01-03-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #133
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
A search confirms the lower level players would get the same amount of exp as the high level player, meaning a disadvantage for doing quests with higher level players.

That leaves the question on how exp scales... Probably per level or something?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #134
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Is it typical for non-quest related Elites to only drop credits?

This would make sense to me because just because they are not quest related for me does not mean they are really non-quest related. It may be that either I have not picked up that quest or that I have not qualified for that quest. So it would limit people going after that enemy for strictly swag forcing others that need the kill for the quest to wait for respawn. Still not going to stop me though since I’m more after the XP, but if that is the case; I will be more selective and only do that during non-peak hours so that I’m not being overly rude.

Out of the three, non-quest related Elites I killed yesterday, I only received credit and the most for 524.

The two I killed involving a quest each netted me a nice weapon, quest item and credits. Well to be honest, I didn't kill any of them, my Wookiee did.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #135
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
You can randomly get loot from non-quest elites, but the big thing about defeating them is that sometimes you get a commendation drop from them which is always nice... especially if there's a really nice commendation item you have your eye on.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #136
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The XP thing was a guess, based on what I had seen with a mismatched level player pairing.

As far as loot goes, I find the loot tables fairly crap, especially when solo. Fair enough in a group situation you should get a chance at looting whatever equipment any of the classes present can use, but when my Sith Warrior is by himself and is looting sniper rifles and scatterguns, it really annoys the hell out of me. As for commendations, that's another system I think has issues. A nice idea in principle, but none of the commendation vendors have enough decent gear worth buying. Some might have one decent item, like a belt, gloves or helmet, but that's it. Coupled with that is the fact that you can no longer trade in one type of commendation for another. Subsequently I have hundreds of commendations across all planets that are essentially useless. Probably should just use them to buy credit boxes to turn them to cash.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #137
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

On Balmorra at least one commendation vendor had a storage case with purple items for 24 badges. I'm still using the boots I got from that case and almost have enough for another one.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #138
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Once you get past the mid-30s it seems you stop getting slotted gear as story and side quest rewards, so I often take boxes instead of commendations now if that is the only choice. Still, they use the same random loot tables seemingly, so there's every chance you'll end up with something useless.

On an unrelated note, I got an official email today congratulating me on getting my Sith Inquisitor to level 10 and giving me a link to a progression guide (which was pretty basic). I also levelled up a Bounty Hunter to level 10 (well both to 11 actually) 24 hours later, but haven't received any similar email for him. I wonder if it's just for the dress wearers. Maybe their metrics have indicated players of those classes need some extra hand holding. Here's the link they sent, if anyone is interested - http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuid...hInquisitor10/

Edit: One for the Bounty Hunter just turned up in my inbox. Based on that, it was simple enough to suss out the links for all classes:

Empire:
http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/SithWarrior10/
http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuid...hInquisitor10/
http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/BountyHunter10/
http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/ImperialAgent10/

Republic:
http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/JediKnight10/
http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/JediConsular10/
http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/Trooper10/
http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/Smuggler10/

Last edited by DarthParametric; 01-04-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #139
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

A question on PvP gear: is it only useable in PvP or can you wear PvP gear in PvE as well? And is it potentially as good (or better) than PvE gear?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #140
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

You can wear PvP gear for PvE, makes no difference except that the Expertise stat has no use for PvE battles. Aside from that, everything else works normally.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #141
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Just make sure you fit the appropriate mods for your class/AC.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #142
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Alright I’m having problems leveling crew skills. Bioanalysis is going great at a little over 300 already, Diplomacy is going slow, but it is going. I just have to remember to send the crew on more missions. My problem is with BioChem. I’m only at around 80 on this one. Almost everything I have a recipe for requires Green Goo. I can’t seem to get this in supply enough to make a real dent in BioChem. Did I just wait too long to start my crew skills? Do I need to go back to some of the earlier planet in order for Bioanalysis to get me an adequate supply of green goo? Guess it isn’t that big a deal if I do have to because I need to find datacrons too.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #143
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah you need to go back to Coruscant/Dromund Kaas for a good supply of that.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #144
robsongtr
Lurker

Hi all! Geez it sucks to be such a noob at TOR and feel like I am out of my league posting here haha, But hey got to start somewhere. Just want to give a shout to all you guys for the pointers given here. Hopefully I can get the hang of SW: The Old Republic and advanced nicely.

cheers

robsongtr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #145
Zakhodit
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Alright Iím having problems leveling crew skills. Bioanalysis is going great at a little over 300 already, Diplomacy is going slow, but it is going. I just have to remember to send the crew on more missions. My problem is with BioChem. Iím only at around 80 on this one. Almost everything I have a recipe for requires Green Goo. I canít seem to get this in supply enough to make a real dent in BioChem. Did I just wait too long to start my crew skills? Do I need to go back to some of the earlier planet in order for Bioanalysis to get me an adequate supply of green goo? Guess it isnít that big a deal if I do have to because I need to find datacrons too.
I don't have BioChem on any of my characters so I'm not sure excatly what type and level Green goo is, but, this is how you find what you need without running around a planet looking for dead critters to harvest:

Find a schematic that requires green goo. It will tell you the general category and level of that component. Like "Grade 2 researched compound" or something. Then look under your Bioanalysis missions. Use the drop down to select the grade level, and then send your companions on the missions that bring back that kind of item.

They may not always bring back Green Goo, depending on how rare it is (Green, Blue, Purple) but they will bring it to you.

If you don't see it under Bioanalysis, it is likely under Diplomacy. (I'm pretty sure it's BioAnalysis though. I guess I need to make a Bio crafting toon...)

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Zakhodit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #146
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Missions are not an efficient (or cost effective) way to acquire gathering resources for grinding the appropriate crafting skill. The only missions you should be doing for gathering skills are the ones that net you the required additional generic components for crafting that you can't gather in the field (and only otherwise obtain from the crew skills vendor).

Green Goo is a level 1 material and should be available from every level 1 node. It's the equivalent of Desh for Scavenging - the most abundant material. As I said, you just need to return to your capital world and do some harvesting. Aside from Slicing, all gathering nodes are on about a 4 minute respawn timer, so if you do a circular sweep of an area (much easier in Coruscant, given the cityscape layout), then by the time you get back to the starting point all the nodes should have respawned. Especially bio nodes, as that isn't a popular skill from what I have seen.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #147
Zakhodit
Rookie

I beg to differ.

Running around gathering from nodes, espically nodes on planets that are well below your level, doesn't put a single credit in your pocket nor does it gain you any XP. In fact it takes time away from gaining XP and credits.

The entire point of having the crew do this for you is so that you could focus on that very aspect of the game.

The crew members not at my side are constantly about gathering, and even with the cost of missions I am still earning more credits than I'm spending since I'm engaged with killing mobs that give me money as opposed to hunting nodes that don't.

If it's level one, missions cost between 95-150 credits per mission. That's less than the cost to fly across the galaxy. They have results in less than 4 minutes, often less than that. More so if you have properly built up your affection with them.

I'm at a loss for how multi-tasking time and effort is less efficient than seeking the materials out, on foot, and thus wasting time that could be spent gaining XP and Money.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Zakhodit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #148
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I have first-hand experience of this exact scenario. I abandoned Biochem/Bioanalysis in the late 20s in favour of Cybertech/Scavenging, and thus was in the same boat of needing a swathe of level 1 mats to grind up Cybertech from 0. Missions are fine if you need 1 or 2 of a mat, not 50-100 plus.

If you are all about staying out levelling, then just buying a couple of 99 stacks from the GTN would be a much more cost effective and efficient solution. At the time that wasn't an option for me, as it was the first few days of live and the GTN was pretty bare. Now though it is packed with level 1 mats. Just make sure you work out the per unit cost and get the cheapest. Some people are asking crazy sums.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #149
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Well I made a bonehead mistake, don't think anyone else around here will be this dense, but will share just in case. I was getting the message 'You must complete missions before you can do that" anytime I tried to get a new mission or talk to my companions. It was driving me crazy. Come to find out my mission log was full with flashpoints, space missions and heroic missions. So be a good house keeper and clean that stuff up or be doomed to failure like me.

Had to go back to Hoth as a missed at least two quests there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakhodit View Post
Running around gathering from nodes, espically nodes on planets that are well below your level, doesn't put a single credit in your pocket nor does it gain you any XP. In fact it takes time away from gaining XP and credits.
I hadn't gotten all the datacrons on the early planets, so it put datacrons in my pocket.
Went back to Ord Mantell, Coruscant, Tatooine and ventured to Tython to retrieve green goo. I also did low level crew skills missions in Bioanalysis. I did not try the GTN, have trouble paying for something that I can get myself (be it real life or in a game).

Thank you both, DarthParametric and Zakhodit for the suggestions.

Last edited by mimartin; 01-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #150
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Yeah, I always clean up my mission log before going to a new planet. Only had trouble once on Balmorra when I took on missions without actually finishing some first, haven't made that mistake since.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #151
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I have another bonehead question… Doing a companion quest last night and the map showed me going through imperial territory (base) to get to the location. These are level 50 NPC. I can’t drive through it. I can’t fight my way through without getting flagged PvP. I ended up walking through it cloaked and then just running when I was finally spotted as I had dismissed my Wookiee out of fear of him fighting or being spotted. This worked, but there has to be a easier way.

Another question does being flagged PvP mean anything besides imperial players can challenge you to a fight?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #152
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I encountered a heroic on Nar Shaddaa's bonus series that had me going through a Republic base as an Imperial to reach an elevator that took you to the level the heroic was on.... :\ had to die in front of the elevator to get on it.

As for being flagged, if you're flagged for PvP, it means that players of the opposite faction who are also flagged can engage in battle with you.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #153
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I encountered a heroic on Nar Shaddaa's bonus series that had me going through a Republic base as an Imperial to reach an elevator that took you to the level the heroic was on.... :\ had to die in front of the elevator to get on it.
I remember that, but I'm not sure if that Republic Base was actually Republic Territory, if it was, you'd be notified by that. Just like if you go far enough on Alderaan as an Imperial you end up at House Organa and you get flagged for PvP within 10 seconds. Whether that mean you can automatically get attacked by any Republic player I don't know. What I have seen, however, was when I was on a quest on Tatooine in Sand People territory, a Republic player passed me and it seemed as if I could attack him, he had a yellow health bar. And I myself wasn't flagged for PvP.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #154
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Not a question, but more like a word of warning or a just in case.

Last night wasn't a good night for TOR with me. It started off great, got some upgrades (thanks to Mav), then fought some bad guys and did a little collecting. Once my rested xp was gone went to the ship to do some space missions. In the middle of the battle I was kicked off the server. Got right back on, but my toon was stuck in conversation mode. Hit ESC, Hit Spacebar, tried the move button, Logged off and on, Logged off turned off PC and then back on... Googled for answered...Prayed...NOTHING WORKED. The staff answer on the TOR site said go to PVP mode and use the Fleet Pass. Nope did not work. Contacted support (no reply as of this morning). Read on TOR forum where someone said sending companions on crew mission got him out of conversation mode when they returned. Sent three companions out to do the shortest missions possible. Understand by this time I'm ready to quit TOR for good. If I lose a level 43 character over this I'm not playing the game anymore. I’m not playing a MMO ever again. I’m not playing a game that only allows one save ever again. First companion comes back, my toon is still stuck. Log off before the next get back and then log back on. Next two companions are back and I am out of conversation mode. Run around ship in circles for the joy of it and then log off as far away as possible from the galaxy map.

Last edited by mimartin; 01-20-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #155
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

XD Damn mim.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #156
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Before I get swarmed again.. yes, "Ceezee" is me
Though it was a nice welcome whilst I was getting lost boarding the Fleet.. hehehe

Thanks for the warm invite to the gang that swarmed my chatbox

Gotta say, after getting thoroughly stomped attempting Heroics with my smuggler.. coming back to Ord after upgrading to Gunslinger made a world of difference. They never stood a chance

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #157
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Don't forget to join the Meatbags, Chainz. And by that I mean, you will join IMB!

@mim: You are such a drama queen!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #158
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
@mim: You are such a drama queen!
You should see my post on the TOR site.
spoiler:
jk I haven't posted on that site

I just don't understand why stuff like this keep happening to my toon.
Show spoiler

Edit: heard back from support today. Nice person. I guess that really isn't that bad considering it has to be a time I'm on TOR.

Last edited by mimartin; 01-21-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #159
snommism
Rookie

Quote:
If you are a healer you should have some sort of combat stance that generates less threat, just as tank companions should have a stance that generates more.
I know how to set a companions stance, but our main characters have it too? Where can I find this?
snommism is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #160
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Depends on your class. Knights/Warriors have lightsaber forms and Troopers/Bounty Hunters have ammo/gas types. Not sure about Consulars/Inquisitors and Smugglers/Agents. Presumably they must have some sort of equivalent passive abilities.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > The Old Republic for Dummies