lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Sashas bad taste
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
olfey
Lurker

Question Sashas bad taste

hi i'm new to the forum but i've been reading around here for a while. also, i've been playing psychonauts for a while, which is the reason i post this.
anyway, there's a thing i observed on which i wanted to hear your opinion
(actually there's two things, but for that see my other threat) .

you surley will remember the ugly lamps Sasha Nein shows to you when he introduces you to the psi-blast. he really dislikes their design, but then, and this is confusing me, why is his psycho-portal-door-thing of a very similar design? i remember the portal of Coach Oleander being in this camouflage-style, so the portals appearance seems to be a matter of choice (or fashion?) to the owner.

so this doesn't make sense to me... do you have any ideas ?

p.s.: please excuse any spelling, grammar or vocabulary mistakes, i'm german
olfey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Toliver
Rookie

I, personally, don't think they're the same design. The lamps that he hates have a Tiffany's/Art Nouveau look to them. His Mind Portal Door seems to have a Frank Lloyd Wright/Mission Furniture/Art Deco look (just like the design on the sides of the cube that makes up his level).

While we're speaking of the Mind Portals, when I first went through the games, I didn't realize each person had their own version of the mental doorway. I always wondered why Milla had such a big head since the Mind Portal on her forehead seemed so small in comparison to when Sasha used it. It wasn't until much later that I realized her Mind Portal wasn't the same as Sasha's, and of course it would be smaller and "daintier". I can be such a doofus sometimes!
Toliver is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
olfey
Lurker

hehe... i replayed sashas shooting gallery today and i have to admit that i think you're right, the design is different indeed, but not very much...
olfey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
Xbob42
Lurker

I think it's simply irony.

...You don't smell like pond scum.
Nice. You should write greeting cards.
Xbob42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
DylanMay
Rookie

I NEVER NOTICED THE PSYCHOPORTALS WERE DIFFERENT!!! Arrrggg crap, now I have to start a new game to see all of them.

"Remember, if it's anhydrous, that means it's crunchy." ~ Dr. Bukowski
DylanMay is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
MsDevin92
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toliver
I, personally, don't think they're the same design. The lamps that he hates have a Tiffany's/Art Nouveau look to them. His Mind Portal Door seems to have a Frank Lloyd Wright/Mission Furniture/Art Deco look (just like the design on the sides of the cube that makes up his level).

While we're speaking of the Mind Portals, when I first went through the games, I didn't realize each person had their own version of the mental doorway. I always wondered why Milla had such a big head since the Mind Portal on her forehead seemed so small in comparison to when Sasha used it. It wasn't until much later that I realized her Mind Portal wasn't the same as Sasha's, and of course it would be smaller and "daintier". I can be such a doofus sometimes!
Same here. Sasha's door is more of a modern art deco thing. The lamps, well...They're like a bad sixties thing. (Milla would probably love them XD ).
MsDevin92 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
herre45
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanMay View Post
I NEVER NOTICED THE PSYCHOPORTALS WERE DIFFERENT!!! Arrrggg crap, now I have to start a new game to see all of them.
...You never noticed they were different?

...Did you watch those cutsceens?
herre45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
AmusementPark
Lurker

Just some more info:

Sasha probably hates these lamps because they remind him of his mother's death. If you look at his vault on the picture where his mother lies on the bed there is a very similar looking lamp next to her.
AmusementPark is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Psychonauts Discussion at Razputin's Domain > Razputin's Domain Forums > Whispering Rock Lakeside Chat > Sashas bad taste