lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: A Soft Drink Thread
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Current Game: Awaiting Greatness from PS4!
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member LucasCast staff 
Smile A Soft Drink Thread

So I am getting a little bit bored with the usual Soda I drink. Right now this is what's in my fridge:

Cherry RC
Fresca
Diet 7up (mostly for heartburn control)
A&W Root Beer
Pepsi Next

List your top favorite sodas, please describe the flavors in glorious details. I want to try something new.
Darth Groovy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
IG-64

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
A&W Cream Soda (always been my favorite)
Vanilla Coke
Fanta Strawberry (or Orange sometimes)
Wild Cherry Pepsi
And if you're looking for something a little different: Manzanita Sol is an apple soda that's pretty good.

As an aside, has anyone else tried Coke Freestyle? I tried one in Austin without knowing what the heck it was, and it blew my mind.
IG-64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
*drinks a coke*

Tastes like Awesome. Accept no substitute.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Dr. Pepper

View page
YouTube Video

Coke is merely a poor substitute.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-64 View Post
As an aside, has anyone else tried Coke Freestyle? I tried one in Austin without knowing what the heck it was, and it blew my mind.
Goddamn I wish we had those in Nordic Europe...

Anyway, I guess Coca Cola will always be my number one - but I do enjoy a variety of other sodas like Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, A&W Root Beer, Fanta and so forth.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ mim: ...and that's why you're the sidekick, mim

Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Dath Maximus
Muad'dib

10 year veteran! LF Jester Forum Veteran 
we have an obscene amount of gingerale at our place right now....mainly cause my wife is pregnant

BongoBob: Dath you are the true face of the internet.
Roxstar: Dath is 1/2 Chris Farley 1/2 Lord Voldemort.
Kain: Dath>new guy
TiE23: Dath, lord of accidentally burning the unburnable.
The Seeker: Dath Maximus makes happiness his Bitch.
BongoBob: Dath never keeps his promises. EXCEPT TO KILL!
Dath Maximus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
I don't often drink pop anymore but when I do I go for a cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper from Sonic.

I also just had the chance to try Orange Coke and Raspberry coke at a Five Guys from their Coke Freestyle machines. It was very interesting to say the least!

Do you have any stores around you that sell retro brand glass bottle pops, Grooves? That's the only thing I keep stocked in my theater fridge. Many of them differ from "standard" coke or pepsi flavors and also use sweet sweet cane sugar. A real treat every time someone has one. They sell sampler 12 packs at a lot of places. Those are doubly fun because you never know which one you'll grab.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
^^^To add to Rhett's sentiments I suggest World Market as a popular place for that. (just discovered) They have a huge selection of classic retro style soft drinks and gourmet style. Generally the genuine sarsaparilla is a little different than root beer and quite interesting. Cream soda is always a plus. Wherever you can find it, get it.

Forgive my ranting as I was *quite* the soda connoisseur up until recently here. I appreciate the chance to share if you will indulge me...

Before I continue, health concerns:
Show spoiler
You heavy soda drinkers have been warned.

Now then...

1) I have a Soda Stream a client simply just gave to me (doesn't want her kids drinking soda) and I go to Staples and other places to get the syrups. So I am enjoying making my own sodas currently. Boxes of purified water (I use Smart Water from Costco personally), refrigeration and any soda syrup of your choice. Hard to go wrong there.

2) Whether cramming for a test or surfing the web, Sevvy is a nice late night stop for big gulps with coke or doctor pepper with either cherry lemon or vanilla flavoring added. But I swear their junk food is lethal. BLT potato chips for the win.

3) Delis in general where I'm at tend to like to supply "Izze" which is starting to catch on with my taste buds. Pomegranate namely. Give it all a try. Less sweet, more flavor.

4) Jarritos are a favorite though I don't see my favorite flavor 'Jamaica Jamaica' anymore. SafeWay usually has some where I'm at. Mom and pop Mexican restaurants usually have Jarritos too.

5) Raley's notably has a "gourmet" soft drinks section. Not all of it retro but there is quite a variety, 15-20 brands at least. Teddy's is pretty good, so are "vintage" coke and pepsi. Jackson hole. Bubble up. Sioux City. XXX. Ramun'e (Japanese). Oh there's so many I can't remember them all right now. Either it's in their deli section or their soda aisle. Go treat yourself.
Occasionally I see Rock'n'Rye Faygo at Raley's, which I liked. They used to have this blueberry soda I'd drink with lager or other beers and actually it set pretty nicely.

6) You ever tried stuff from Henry Weinhard's? *Excellent* stuff. Worth buying a box (or two) of anything you an get your hands on.
I DO caution you, though, be careful how you refrigerate it AND how and where you open it. They can sometimes surprise you like you can open it and it sits there but about a minute later the foam starts creeping out. Don't take quick "swigs" either because you might just agitate the foam that way too.

7) Kemper's is definitely good but at times a little too saturated even for cane sugar... at least some flavors are. Worth a try, though.

8) Vernor's ginger ale is a distinct flavor for special occasions. Hell any ginger ale. Can't quite handle ginger beer though. Tends to burn as it sits in my digestive tract. Certainly try a hand at it.

9) I *really* like the stuff at Trader Joes. Virgil's root beer, vintage cola, Orangina, their seasonal lemon italian soda (Mmm yeah! DEFINITELY!), their grapefruit soda, and their italian blood orange soda (which you can get year round). Every other week I get blood orange fron TJ's--great for your italian food night. Which leads me to...

10) You can also get Italian Blood Orange soda occasionally from Costco (seasonally), and hit or miss from Grocery Outlet, Big Lots, and occasionally at grocery stores in their deli. Try them all, you'll be glad you did! The aforementioned World Market has it all the time as well.

I hope that helps you search for the next great carbonated flavor.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Darklighter
Bliss Ninny

Current Game: Uncharted 3
10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Anyone here from the UK may have spotted 'Rio Tropical' at the back of the shelves in small convenience stores. I spend the better part of my days looking for these cans.

That drink is a little bit of heaven, though it's been months since my last find. I may never taste that sweet beverage again...one can only hope.

"Yeah no one likes a smart ass, but we all like stars,
But that wasn't my intention, I did it for a reason..."
Darklighter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Current Game: Awaiting Greatness from PS4!
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member LucasCast staff 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
I don't often drink pop anymore but when I do I go for a cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper from Sonic.

I also just had the chance to try Orange Coke and Raspberry coke at a Five Guys from their Coke Freestyle machines. It was very interesting to say the least!

Do you have any stores around you that sell retro brand glass bottle pops, Grooves? That's the only thing I keep stocked in my theater fridge. Many of them differ from "standard" coke or pepsi flavors and also use sweet sweet cane sugar. A real treat every time someone has one. They sell sampler 12 packs at a lot of places. Those are doubly fun because you never know which one you'll grab.
Glass bottled soda is next to godliness I agree. The closest thing I can find is Mexican imported glass bottle coke and Pepsi. Only problem here is that it retails for about $1 per 12oz glass bottle.

I did finally try Fanta. I got orange, strawberry, and grape. Pretty yummy stuff.

Any others?
Darth Groovy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklighter View Post
Anyone here from the UK may have spotted 'Rio Tropical' at the back of the shelves in small convenience stores. I spend the better part of my days looking for these cans.

That drink is a little bit of heaven, though it's been months since my last find. I may never taste that sweet beverage again...one can only hope.
Holy crap...I'm in the states and I have tasted it. I thought it was just a new thing some soda maker was experimenting with at grocery outlet...I was nothing less than amazed.

It's from the UK?! O_O

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yuengling.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I stopped drinking soda a few years ago, hurray!

However, my favorites were...

#1 Dr. Pepper
#2 Pepsi
#3 Cream Soda
#4 Ginger Ale

Does anyone remember Crystal Pepsi?

Current in-game name is #include
RpTheHotrod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RpTheHotrod View Post
I stopped drinking soda a few years ago, hurray!
Same here.. liquid death, hehehe 3 years "sober" now

Back then of course it was:

1) Pepsi
2) Mello Yello

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
Before I continue, health concerns:
I did not know First Lady Michelle Obama was a forum member.

@Rhett - Sonic ice makes everything better...

Anyone driving around Texas, stop at Buc-ee's.

They are known for their clean restrooms nationally, but for my money Buc-ees is a drink shop. About every flavor and yes Rhett you can get a cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper and Buc-ees ice is just as good as Sonic's and Buc-ee's price is cheaper than Sonic.

View page
YouTube Video

Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #17
Dath Maximus
Muad'dib

10 year veteran! LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RpTheHotrod View Post

Does anyone remember Crystal Pepsi?
i loved that stuff

BongoBob: Dath you are the true face of the internet.
Roxstar: Dath is 1/2 Chris Farley 1/2 Lord Voldemort.
Kain: Dath>new guy
TiE23: Dath, lord of accidentally burning the unburnable.
The Seeker: Dath Maximus makes happiness his Bitch.
BongoBob: Dath never keeps his promises. EXCEPT TO KILL!
Dath Maximus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
1) Sprite Aruba Jam Remix (no longer in production)
Was like a lovely grape berry citrus sprite, really tasty and I enjoyed it to the bitter end.

2) Vanilla Coke/Coke Vanilla
The classic, used to drink outrageous quantities of this stuff until it was discontinued. Still drink it on occasion now that its back.

3) Mountain Dew Livewire
LOVE this stuff, definitely my favorite mountain dew.

4) Mountain Dew Voltage
Was my favorite mountain dew for a while, loved repping it while it was contending for an official slot. The other two (light purple and light blue) didn't stand a chance IMO

5) Coca-Cola Classic
Just because, still my favorite classic over pepsi and original mountain dew.

6) Cherry Coke
Conveniently popular and equally delicious.

7) Mountain Dew Whiteout
New enough where I try to avoid it but still delicious and refreshing.

I used to tank on soda when I could, these days I try to avoid mass consumption preferring coffee and tea, especially chamomile.

Last edited by 90SK; 05-15-2012 at 03:32 PM.
90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
Darklighter
Bliss Ninny

I have no idea whether it's from the UK or not, but it's definitely here and has been for over 10 years. You're right though, it's only in small convenience stores, never in the big 'uns.

A mystery maybe? But a tasty mystery, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
Holy crap...I'm in the states and I have tasted it. I thought it was just a new thing some soda maker was experimenting with at grocery outlet...I was nothing less than amazed.

It's from the UK?! O_O

Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Hmm, I'll be sure to try that Rio Tropical if I ever spot it.

The only soft drink I drink on a regular basis is Diet Coke. When I went to Florida I was totally hooked on Mountain Dew. I wish there was an easy way to buy it over here apart from buying it online. For some reason I can only find Diet Mountain Dew in the shops.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
What... really? you can even buy Mountain Dew in Finland (and Sweden too for that matter), I find it kinda odd that it wouldn't be available in the UK. There has to be specialty U.S goods shops in London as well.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Yeah I know, it sucks, mind you it's probably a good thing, I'd be drinking it like water.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leXX View Post
<snip> When I went to Florida I was totally hooked on Mountain Dew. I wish there was an easy way to buy it over here apart from buying it online. For some reason I can only find Diet Mountain Dew in the shops.
I like mixing the Baja Blast Mountain Dew (the slightly bluish green one) with the pink lemonade whenever I go to Taco Bell here in the U.S. It makes an interesting citrus-y flavor, and turns it a silver/gray color when you mix it up just right. Actually friends an family tease it looks like dirty soapy dishwater. But they all agree it tastes great if a bit tart.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #24
Darklighter
Bliss Ninny

Check it out...

www.drinkrio.com

You can order CRATES of this stuff. To be delivered to your HOUSE.

There is obviously a god.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I'm a diet coke/diet pepsi junkie. I try not to drink any liquid calories...but I know aside from the no-sugar, diet is just as bad as regular. I actually prefer the taste of diet though.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

You disgust me @ Jeff

Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #27
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklighter View Post
Check it out...

www.drinkrio.com

You can order CRATES of this stuff. To be delivered to your HOUSE.

There is obviously a god.
I was just wondering about looking it up. Guess the older, more experienced forumite beat me to it.

Available at Costco huh? I'll have to look (and pester them too) if they don't have it in stock. That was some good $***.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #28
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I'm a diet coke/diet pepsi junkie. I try not to drink any liquid calories...but I know aside from the no-sugar, diet is just as bad as regular. I actually prefer the taste of diet though.
Heathen!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #29
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
You disgust me @ Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
Heathen!
You fatties drinking regular soda disgust me! But really I actually don't understand how so many people still drink regular soda in large quantities every day. For me, I only have soda when I eat out...which is fairly often, but not having it in the house forces me to drink mostly water. Yes I am judging all of you.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #30
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Tea mother****ers!

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
You fatties drinking regular soda disgust me! But really I actually don't understand how so many people still drink regular soda in large quantities every day. For me, I only have soda when I eat out...which is fairly often, but not having it in the house forces me to drink mostly water. Yes I am judging all of you.
You're a fatty too... a fatty in denial who drinks more chemicals than we regular Coke drinkers drink cause you want it all "diet"... ahuh

Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #32
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

The water around here most likely has more chemicals than Coke.

Drink beer the Alcohol kills the chemicals or at least make you not care...

Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
duster
Rookie

Current Game: Alice,Broforce and Quake 3
got used to it and haven't changed it from a while

DERBY
Cherry flaivour
I started drinking it from few months and got used to it(i liked it but haven't changed it still).I don't drink any kind of alcohol.I prefer to eat something meaty.With one word my drinking is healthy but i prefer to be making "gifts" to my stomach
duster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #34
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Never undestood the attraction to the taste of diet sodas. I'd rather drink water.....even in TX.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #35
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
I'd rather drink water.....even in TX.
Water around here gives your body a nice glow. A nice green glow.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #36
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
I use to to be a serious coke fanatic...no, no not that kind. I mean Coca-Cola of course, but I finally stop drinking all soft drinks a little over two years ago. Just a water and hot tea junkie now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Water around here gives your body a nice glow. A nice green glow.

Green Lantern much?

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #37
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Dr. Pepper and Coke products plaz. Forget Pepsi.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #38
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon View Post
Dr. Pepper and Coke products plaz. Forget Pepsi.
^ this, except Mountain Dew which I claim as my cult favorite of the past. I just recently had a cherry coke with some chinese food, dank!

Quote:
Interesting, I can't stand diet flavor but I recognize the appeal. Soda is like liquid fat.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
For me It's not the calories, It's the fact that my teeth have become pretty ****ed up after years of soda drinking... that's why I try to keep it to weekends these days.

Wish I could start off my day with a can of coke 24/7 though...

Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #40
Rogue15
Reconnaissance Specialist

Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer 10 year veteran! 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Yuengling.
this

Battle is a pure form of expression. It is heart and discipline, reduced to movement and motion. In battle, the words are swept away, giving way to actions-- mercy, sacrifice, anger, fear. These are pure moments of expression.
Rogue15 is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > A Soft Drink Thread