lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Obsidian 'would love' to make Knights of the Old Republic III
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Obsidian 'would love' to make Knights of the Old Republic III

Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGM
While BioWare and EA might see Star Wars: The Old Republic as the follow-up to Obsidian Entertainment’s Knights of the Old Republic series, some inside the developer might have other ideas.

In response to a comment posted on Twitter today by a fan asking for a Knights of the Old Republic 3, the official Obsidian account replied:

“Ohhh we would so love to!!! ”

At one point back in 2003, work on a third KOTOR game was actually taking place. However, due to cuts at LucasArts, the project was cancelled in 2004. With the mixed reaction that’s out there about BioWare’s The Old Republic MMORPG, who knows—maybe one day we could go back to the single-player adventures of Knights of the Old Republic.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
milestails

It would be better if it said "is making Knights of the Old Republic III."
milestails is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Isaac Clarke

A spark of hope.
Remember, though, to take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Isaac Clarke; 08-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Isaac Clarke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestails View Post
It would be better if it said "is making Knights of the Old Republic III."
This! Listen LA/Obsidian, put up or shut up; no more teasing with "what ifs" and "maybes" either make a KIII or let the series remain dead.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
either make a KIII or let the series remain dead.
The series is hardly dead. SWTOR still counts, even if many people don't like it.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Not sure exactly what they'd have to go on except a pocket cell of Kunists...but I think Sion eventually killed them all until he was the only one remaining.

Same problems over and over it would seem... To make a game based on the novel Revan seems a bit flat. It could concern itself to deal with alternate endings, or with what played out after the canonical events of the games unfolded.

For example I'd very much like to find out exactly what went down with the new Jedi Order and things (characters' fates) not covered by the novel.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
Although the idea certainly seems interesting, I think if it did happen, there would be at least a few people that were involved with the development of K2, who might just HATE the idea of having to back-pedal on choices that were made for The Sith Lords, rather having to go on the history that both the Revan novel and TOR presents. Many things might be unchanged, but at least a few of the things that TSL presented, have been outright ignored by TOR and most likely the Revan novel(which I have to see about reading at some point, so I don't know if the details were left out there).

Plus, I would certainly hope that Obsidian or anyone who would make it, doesn't want to pander to the people who believe that no matter what kind of game it is, it needs to have a multiplayer mode, and should be judged solely on how good the gameplay for that is. I know most RPGs haven't done this, but given that the first idea for a new KOTOR game was one, with the MMO tacked on the front, I wouldn't be surprised if it was there.

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
Bob Saget
Rookie

The novel itself isn't suited to an RPG, more likely an action-paced game similar to Jedi Knight, which I wouldn't mind if they did it right. If they are to make a Kotor III, they'd need to re-introduce Revan in a later time period, and explain the whole flash warp thing he did.

Secondly, TSL really made the series interesting in making the Dark/light dichotomy not so simple as Lucas wants to make it to be, which is what it needs to be about. You can't have the Dark side affiliated with killing babies and robbing old women, sometimes decisions like that have to make sense.

However, I doubt Lucas will actually see the light in this argument.
Bob Saget is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
Blix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
Not sure exactly what they'd have to go on except a pocket cell of Kunists...but I think Sion eventually killed them all until he was the only one remaining.

Same problems over and over it would seem... To make a game based on the novel Revan seems a bit flat. It could concern itself to deal with alternate endings, or with what played out after the canonical events of the games unfolded.

For example I'd very much like to find out exactly what went down with the new Jedi Order and things (characters' fates) not covered by the novel.
I always pictured Kotor III being the search for Revan/discovering what happened. I think it would have been a new PC as always with mention of the Exile launching his/her (canon) investigation. Since in K1 'Revan' was still a big deal even when he wasn't himself, then in K2 he was a big deal because Jedi and Sith were missing/dead and Kreia had speculations/clues as to where he could be so naturally by K3 the Republic is informed on what the Exile learned during TSL and sends a Jedi from the newly re-formed council to investigate using clues left behind with T3 and the Navicomputer. Obviously though because of TOR we wouldn't find Revan, we'd run into certain 'obstacles' preventing us from getting to him but we would eventually learn where and how a couple of hundred years later.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Guys, this is LucasArts. If there is a way to f' things up, they'll find a way to do it. It's been almost 8 years since TSL.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Guys, this is LucasArts. If there is a way to f' things up, they'll find a way to do it.
Why?

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
Quote:
I always pictured Kotor III being the search for Revan/discovering what happened. I think it would have been a new PC as always with mention of the Exile launching his/her (canon) investigation. Since in K1 'Revan' was still a big deal even when he wasn't himself, then in K2 he was a big deal because Jedi and Sith were missing/dead and Kreia had speculations/clues as to where he could be so naturally by K3 the Republic is informed on what the Exile learned during TSL and sends a Jedi from the newly re-formed council to investigate using clues left behind with T3 and the Navicomputer. Obviously though because of TOR we wouldn't find Revan, we'd run into certain 'obstacles' preventing us from getting to him but we would eventually learn where and how a couple of hundred years later.
The only problem with that potential KotOR III plot is that
spoiler:
T3 went with the Exile in the Ebon Hawk to find Revan, after TSL, in the Unknown Regions.

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
.:Lord Revan:.

Current Game: MW3
Clicked on this thread only because it said 'Knights of the Old Republic III'
.:Lord Revan:. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Obsidian have been saying this for eight years. LA have been ignoring them for eight years. Another comment by OE to this effect is not, I suspect, going to change anything.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
evilhazardz
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
While I would like to see it, I wouldn't get any hopes up for it, nor do I think it would work and as much as I love the series I think that because it was never planned to be a trilogy it would just would never work.
There's too many variables like who would be the protagonist or who would be the antagonist (considering Revan and the exile killed every bad guy in the galaxy) and I don't think we'd be as emotionally invested considering Bioware dropped the ball in by letting us know of what happens to Revan and the exile instead of keeping The Old Republic as a separate project.

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere
evilhazardz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Bob Saget
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Guys, this is LucasArts. If there is a way to f' things up, they'll find a way to do it. It's been almost 8 years since TSL.
IF LucasArts goes into DLC, then they become worse than EA :P
Bob Saget is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
RevMg
Rookie

One could dream that they would retcon Revan novel out of existence and made a proper K3 in its place, telling similliar story but with attention to detail and respect to characters that Drew lacks.
RevMg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
milestails

I wonder if they would keep Naresha as a character and Taloraan as a planet if they make it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_...Old_Republic_3
milestails is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #19
Blix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestails View Post
I wonder if they would keep Naresha as a character and Taloraan as a planet if they make it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_...Old_Republic_3
I hope so, Naresha always seemed like an interesting concept for a sith-spy kind of character or just mysterious.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMg View Post
One could dream that they would retcon Revan novel out of existence and made a proper K3 in its place, telling similliar story but with attention to detail and respect to characters that Drew lacks.
This, and parts of TOR need to be as well. They just ruin a great legacy story wise.

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
thejman217
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vada View Post
A spark of hope.
Remember, though, to take this with a grain of salt.
EXACTLY! Expect for the worst; hope for the best.
thejman217 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #22
DeathScepter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Bologna View Post
This, and parts of TOR need to be as well. They just ruin a great legacy story wise.
agreed
DeathScepter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #23
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMg View Post
He has respect for the characters (he had a hand in creating them!). It's simply that everybody's Revan and Exile are different, and Drew's are no exception. No matter how he presented them someone would have been up in arms. I personally appreciate his take on the story and characters.

A proper KOTOR III, in my opinion, would be one that does not overwrite the Revan novel, but one that would compliment it. It could follow Meetra (the Exile) from the very start of the story, beginning with the end of The Sith Lords, with the search for Revan being the main theme, and eventually catch up to where her part in the novel begins and take us through the same events for the remainder of the game, all from Meetra's perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #24
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferc Kast View Post
The only problem with that potential KotOR III plot is that
spoiler:
T3 went with the Exile in the Ebon Hawk to find Revan, after TSL, in the Unknown Regions.
Yeah that.

@thread:

I'm curious about loose ends to be tied up from TSL. If I'm not mistaken, M4-78 didn't have much content, no thanks to uncle george making TSL a rushjob.
spoiler:
I'm still curious about Bao Dur's fate, and how it related to HK-47 getting to Malachor V. Did he survive the fight at Telos or not? Wasn't he also supposed to have been able to learn higher lightsaber forms from the Exile because he'd possibly need them?

Also HK-47's actions and whereabouts
spoiler:
is only referred to in the Revan novel but not actually explained.

We've known Nihilus had a holocron, possibly implying more followers than Visas Marr.
spoiler:
One character you fight in SWTFU learned from it.

Most of the TSL companion characters not talked about in the Revan novel.
spoiler:
That's everybody who did not appear in K1. Atton, Michal, Brianna, Mira, Bao-Dur, Hanharr.
The only purely TSL character in there was
spoiler:
Atris. I'm interested to see what became of her, too.

Also, the situation was economically dire, on the verge of collapse in TSL. I'd imagine it'd be a slow recovery and plenty of time, opportunity and such for other criminal elements to attempt to strike. Genohardan, Exchange, Hutts, bankers, the anti-competitive Czerka corporation.

So plenty of bad guys, some lingering pockets of sith followers, and the stories of the characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram View Post
He has respect for the characters (he had a hand in creating them!). It's simply that everybody's Revan and Exile are different, and Drew's are no exception. No matter how he presented them someone would have been up in arms. I personally appreciate his take on the story and characters.

A proper KOTOR III, in my opinion, would be one that does not overwrite the Revan novel, but one that would compliment it. It could follow Meetra (the Exile) from the very start of the story, beginning with the end of The Sith Lords, with the search for Revan being the main theme, and eventually catch up to where her part in the novel begins and take us through the same events for the remainder of the game, all from Meetra's perspective.
I'm not so sure it wouldn't become a jumbled cluster-**** like Fatal Alliance and SW:TPM both seem to suffer from--that is to say a lack of a central character. While a K3 could include parts (or all) of the Revan Novel, the only thing that would make it a good complimentary story is if the Republic were...well...deceived. Some of the intrigues like what the archivist referred to in the timeline films would need to be in play.

Last edited by mimartin; 12-24-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
thejman217
Rookie

Quote:
I think that that would actually be a good storyline. As long as LA wouldn't MESS it up.

Last edited by mimartin; 12-21-2012 at 03:43 PM.
thejman217 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #26
The Lord of Chaos
Rookie

I would love Obsidian to make Knights III. Even better if they pretended the MMO never happened.
The Lord of Chaos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I don't see it happening. The Old Republic and everything surrounding it makes a KotOR III irrelevant. The answers we were looking for after we played KotOR II have mostly been answered through TOR and those novels (even though the answers may not be satisfying).

I say, leave that particular timeframe and start anew somewhere else. If Obsidian wants to dabble in the Star Wars universe again, let them choose another period in Star Wars continuity to craft their story. I rate their chances for that slightly higher than a KotOR III (let's say, pretty much not going to happen?).

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Next person that circumvents the censor will get their butt refracted to the full extent of the rules.... Understa*d?

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #29
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
let's say, pretty much not going to happen?]
Hey, I just want another Star Wars RPG, no MMO.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Obsidian 'would love' to make Knights of the Old Republic III