Thread: The Old Republic for Dummies
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #481
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Okay as a noob to MMOs, what is the proper MMO etiquette when someone is having serious connection problems that jeopardize the group activity?

I mean if I keep disconnecting during a ops should the group just throw me out? What if it is Mav (TWC Guild Master) having trouble and the group throws him out? Should I leave too?

My personal view is if I am having problems that is hurting the group, I am more than willing to leave if the group can find a replacement.

Not sure about the Mav example, but if I am the one getting thrown out because of connection problems or that I just plain stink, I expect everyone of you to stay. Unless I'm just a complete jerk, I will understand and to me not letting down the group is more important...Well that and the chance you could upgrade your gear.

But what is the proper MMO etiquette? Had something like this happen recently and I would like to know from MMO veterans.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #482
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Why people are reading this forum; I just sent a sweet brown hooded cloak from my Jedi to my Sith (Cross faction mail is ok between Legacy) But it turned my sweet brown robe in to a crap purple sith kimono... the ones I hated already which led me to the long process of inter-faction clothing trade.... is this just the way it is? am I doomed to wear crap gear forever?

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #483
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Yes, you are. The first day they allowed us to send stuff cross-faction I sent over a sweet looking Bounty Hunter helmet from the Imp side to the Republic side and it turned into a stupid duckface Trooper helmet, the kind I REALLY hate.

Lynk Former is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #484
Eefluxx

okay some noob questions from me.

1. PVP in the Republic Fleet. What is it? There is a terminal where I can do PVP missions and apparently to get some really equipment you need warzone commendations and such and I figure you have to get them in this PVP mission thing. Plus what lvl is good for starting in PVP?

2. As asked way earlier in this thread by Lynk, has there been anymore comp customizations and if so where can I find them?

Plus, I just discovered last night that all this time I thought I was on the Jedi Covenant server and I realized I am on the Shadowlands server.
(just throwing that in there)

3. If you are part of a guild but want to leave the guild how do you do it?
I helped out a guy awhile back and he asked me to join Maximus. I accepted but most of them are already lvl 50 and just doing OPs or World Boss missions and I never seem to see them except the occosional runin on the fleet where they have no idea who I am and just ignore me . Not that I have tried to talk to them or anything.
So if you wanted to leave a guild and look for another one can you?

But I ran into someone today who said they saw I was part of a guild and what I thought of it. I said I really don't know because I haven't interacted with them. I asked him/her if she wanted to join and he/she said he/she would think about it but wanted to look around more.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Edit: I learned /clubdance from a group in a flashpoint. Was a really funny moment where I said I can't dance and the Twilek stopped dancing and turned and faced me and said you can't dance?

Well they taught me to dance.

What are some others? Like someone saluted me and I didn't know how to salute back and things like that.

Feel Free To Disagree.....Most People Do Anyways
Eefluxx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #485
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
1. Yeah, the PvP mission terminal gives you missions with warzone rewards and the like. The PvP isn't actually on the Fleet, though, you just accept the missions there. To enter a PvP match, you need to enter the PvP queue, the button for that's on the map GUI (if I'm not mistaken, it's the Empire/Republic sign). A lower level gets teamed up with other low level players, so you don't find yourself fighting 50s (as it was at the start).

2. There are customization vendors on certain planets. I know Taris and Belsavis had one, there might be more.

3. /gquit in the chatbox. A shame you're not on Harbinger...

4. Most if not all emotes can be found by clicking on the little figure in the chat GUI. There's quite a lot of them. You can also create your own emotes with /e "text" (without the "").

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #486
Eefluxx

Yeh I know I didn't think to check where everyone was before I started. But I have made some new friends in Shadowlands so its really cool. Still might make some toons on the Harbinger later with or without legacy.

Thanks for the info Miltiades

Edit: So I ask about leaving a Guild and lo and behold a guild member invites me to a group with one of the 50's. Had a good time and now most of them talk to me. Still not completely sold yet even tho the one who invited me did make me a part for my droid and we did a mission together today so I could finish all of Tatooine. Think I will hang around for awhile.

Last edited by Eefluxx; 09-03-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #487
Eefluxx

So more noob questions from me.

I finally got my legacy, now what to do with it. I hear you give to your next toon and whatever it is becomes more powerful and the further you go down the line of toons the more powerful it gets. Is this true? I got a legacy box. I haven't opened it yet because I didn't know if I should open it first and then send it to my next toon who is thought out but not made yet.

Is the Jedi Sentinal class quest really that hard? I have a guy who is about 3 or 4lvls below me. We have teamed up in the past for heroic quests and such but he has invited me on some of his class quests saying the boss is really difficult. Personally I think its his strategy and not the boss. For example on the heroic quests he doesn't wait to figure out who and what to attack first he just attacks. The only time I got him to listen was when he was dead (happens alot) and I said this next guy has about 89k hit points, let me flash him and then go thru my routine first I can knock off 2000hps off the bat. Don't attack until Spar does. He waits and Spar soaks up all the damage and HE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only does he live but none of us died.

The bosses he has trouble with don't seem to be that hard or any harder than the class bosses (which include a few dark jedi as well) I face and I am just a smuggler.

If I shoot a guy first and then someone else in the group kills him does he just light up for me or for both of us. It seems in some groups I will see someone lit up and noone is going after the loot so I go after it.

Do I get xp points and legacy points for PVP and Warzones?

Why is there no Tython commendation vendor in the republic fleet? I went to Tython just to get the datacrons and got some Tython comms. Can't spend them anywhere but Tython. Am just going to give them to my next toon which will be a jedi but was just wondering.

Speaking of datacrons. If the Legacy system lets your next toon have certain perks does that include the abilities you learned from all the datacrons your first toon found?

All I can think of for now.

Just for fun the 2 best names I have seen, well maybe not best but funniest, other people use are

Captain Under Pants

Busty Panty Chaser

Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #488
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Chances are he's just bad. Or he's used to being able to burst them down quick and be done. he might be new at MMO's. When I did my smuggler story, there was the one mission on Tattooine that had me beat down(Jedi, Sith and the fatso), but they fixed that to be a bit more doable. My Sentinel had no real problems with the class story.

If the guy lights up, sometimes it's something just for you. Or it's something that each of you can get your own. At any rate, if nobody is going for it, grab it. it may be something for a mission you didn't realize you had.

I know you get XP for PVP. I think you get lagacy as well.

I don't remember about the tython vendor, I thought there was...

Legacy allows you to share some abilities. Datacrons are not they.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #489
Eefluxx

yeh that quest with the dark jedi and fatso on tatooine got me as well. I managed to kill the dark jedi but I had to switch from Bowdaar to Corso to finally kill the big guy.

What about the legacy box? Do I open it or leave it closed before I send it?

Thanks for the answers by the way.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #490
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I have done more knight bosses than even smuggler bosses with either my smuggler or my shadow. I was paranoid about playing as a knight, but so far I haven't had to call anyone for help. Think it is largely new players are drawn to Knights and most of the time I have noticed they are not correctly equipped.

@Tommycat - I know that quest well. It is still the only leveling quest in game where I have had to call in help to get past it. Still annoys me, want to reroll another sawbones just to prove to myself I can do it solo. Brem had to call Lynk and Mav to get past it after spending every credit to her name on medpacs and repairs. I think I died 30 times and almost quit the game.

Shadow and Agent haven't had any problems soloing everything 2 man and below. Weird playing and not dying out of every cutscene like I did with my smuggler, especially with my agent which is basically the same class. I guess the difference is now knowing a little about MMOs and knowing equipment. Even beyond that knowledge, solo leveling DPS is so much easier than solo leveling a healer.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #491
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
I dunno... Maybe I'm just a better healer than DPS... Eefluxx, that quest used to be much harder. If you died, it completely reset, kicked you out and you had to do it all over again. I got through it by sheer luck and I think I decided to go after tubbo first and kill the dark jedi second. In the beta it was even worse... I HAD to have someone help me even though I was geared well and over leveled. I had literally done every available quest on Tattooine up to that point.

As for the legacy box... When I did it each of my toons got one.
I thought they still did.

Either way, the reward isn't that great.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #492
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
I dunno... Maybe I'm just a better healer than DPS...
Well I am a better smuggler healer now than I am DPS, but at that time I was still playing DPS with a healer spec. Pretty much had to unlearn everything I had done getting to level 50 before I became a average healer, but now I have been told more than once in HMFP and Ops that I am a very good healer. Still think I am very average, but I pull my weight in Ops and HMFP. My DPS does great in HMFP, but is carried sometimes in Ops. She is below average, but I will blame the spec and not the player (at least until 1.4 comes out)

Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #493
Eefluxx

Tommycat - I remember that quest as being one that taught me how to strategize more what I was doing than just picking a target or switching from target to target. The Dark Jedi had less hit points and the jedi in the story was going after her. Tubbo could heal himself plus had the dark jedi healing him. After my second death I just concentrated on the dark jedi so that when I did die next I wouldn't have to worry about her when I revived.

After dieing afterwards I switched from Bowdaar to Corso who for some reason didn't pull as much aggro and tubbo concentrated on the story jedi and me and corso just kept shooting him down.

I ran into an original beta tester yesterday who I was helping on missions since I was waiting to try to put a team together to go after the colicoid queen on Balmorra. He/she was very nice and answered alot of legacy and social questions for me and seemed to really want to help. He was playing gunslinger as well and I was surprised to see his starting routine in fights was exactly like mine. Made me feel like I was actually doing something right all this time.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #494
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
mim you're probably an outstanding healer if they tell you you are good. Yeah as to the DPS scoundrel, it was really good at first, because you could burst damage your way past most things, but I prefer being able to heal my friends. It wasn't easy to adjust at first to not jumping into the fight. I was a slinger through beta. Which was burst, wait wait wait, Burst, wait wait wait...

Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #495
Eefluxx

So, more noob questions from me. I am at lvl49 now and seemingly have lost the guy who kept asking for help only to find a new guy who is lower lvl's doing the same thing. I am getting to the point where I automatically look for groups as soon as I log in just so he can't invite me .

But questions,

1. If an item is bound can I still send it to MY toons when I get them created? Cause if not then I clear out a whole bunch of space in my cargo bay.

2. What are all the colors you can choose from for Twilek and Mirulian when you get it opened up?

3. Does HM mean hard mode for missions that you may have done earlier?

4. If I send my legacy box to my next toon, even tho I am a smuggler and they are a jedi, can she use it at the Jedi legacy toon vendor instead of the smuggler one?

5. Do the matrix shards I collect all have to be the same color before I can make a relic? And how many do I need to make one and where?

6. Where do you get the artifac fragments to use to purchase from the Curator vendor on the fleet.

7. I found the Tyhon comm vendor on the fleet finally (right next to the Ord Mantell one) but is there a Quesh comm vendor on the fleet and if so where?

8. Speaking of comms, can those be sent thru the mail to my toons or to anyone for that matter?

9. Is there an invisible armor? I see alot of people run around in their underwear and don't seem to take alot of damage.

10. Can you level faster just doing PVP as opposed to doing the story?

11. How do you get Valor points? Mine is still at 1 and I am not sure how I got it. Is there a faster way to get Social points besides grouping in stories, heroics and flashpoints? I am halfway to 3.

12. When I buy faster xp for my legacy toon does that go for all my toons I create afterwards? Or do I need to buy those for them as well?

13. Do you still get Legacy xp after you reach lvl 50 and if so does Legacy xp ever end?

I'll stop right there

Thanks in advance

Eefluxx

Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #496
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I'm too lazy to answer all of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eefluxx View Post
1. If an item is bound can I still send it to MY toons when I get them created? Cause if not then I clear out a whole bunch of space in my cargo bay.
If it says "Bound" only that character can use it, if it says "Bound to Legacy" than any other character you have on that server can use it.

Quote:
4. If I send my legacy box to my next toon, even tho I am a smuggler and they are a jedi, can she use it at the Jedi legacy toon vendor instead of the smuggler one?
Yes.

Quote:
5. Do the matrix shards I collect all have to be the same color before I can make a relic? And how many do I need to make one and where?
http://www.republictrooper.com/matri...s-relic-items/

Quote:
7. I found the Tyhon comm vendor on the fleet finally (right next to the Ord Mantell one) but is there a Quesh comm vendor on the fleet and if so where?
No, the Quesh comm vendor is only on Quesh for some stupid reason.

Quote:
8. Speaking of comms, can those be sent thru the mail to my toons or to anyone for that matter?
No.

Quote:
9. Is there an invisible armor? I see alot of people run around in their underwear and don't seem to take alot of damage.
There are a couple of skimpy pieces of armour available, but no, no invisible armour. Another reason why it may seem like they are taking a lot of damage is because the game may have glitched and hasn't loaded the armour assets on those toons... but I haven't seen that bug occur for quite awhile since it was fixed many moons ago.

Quote:
10. Can you level faster just doing PVP as opposed to doing the story?
If your legacy level is high enough and you have the money to buy the legacy perks that give you the extra experience points, yup.

Quote:
11. How do you get Valor points? Mine is still at 1 and I am not sure how I got it. Is there a faster way to get Social points besides grouping in stories, heroics and flashpoints? I am halfway to 3.
You get valor points from PvP. Social points are only if you take part in group conversations and if you defeat hard mode bosses in hard mode flashpoints and operations with other people.

Quote:
12. When I buy faster xp for my legacy toon does that go for all my toons I create afterwards? Or do I need to buy those for them as well?
No, those particular legacy perks are only for the toon you bought them for.

Quote:
13. Do you still get Legacy xp after you reach lvl 50 and if so does Legacy xp ever end?
Even if your toon is lv50, you still get legacy exp. The level cap for Legacy at the moment is 50.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #497
Eefluxx

Thank you, you answered most of them and the main ones. I guess I need to spend my comms then and sell the items in my cargo bay.

I think I have 1 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow, and 2 green shards so I am looking at the link to see what I can make. Doesn't look like much tho without 3 of the same color for lvl 49 and 50.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #498
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

2. No clue on Twilek or Mirulian…Easy way to find out is just play with making a toon in one of the classes in which they are open.

3. HM means hard mode, yes. It does not have to be a mission you done earlier. HMFP are missions you may have done earlier, but designed for level 50 toons. However, you also have SM, HM and NIM mode Operations which you cannot do until you are level 50.

8. Like lynk wrote, no…but you can buy mods, enhancement, barrels hilt and other BOE things with the comms and send those through the mail to other toons.

13. Yes it ends..I am a level freak and my main is now level 50, level 50 legacy and level 10 Social…I don’t Pvp, but I am tempted to do so just so I can level something.

***6. I have never figured that out either. Always figured it had something to do with PvP, but I don’t have a clue.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #499
Eefluxx

Thanks Mim, for number 3 I have heard you open all the colors for both imperial and republic if you play a certain race to 50 and their are certain colors for each side. Either you play a race to 50 to unlock or you spend 1.5 million creds. I was wondering if it was worth the 1.5 or just playing the race. I wanted a certain color twilek but I don't think they have that certain color.

Actually one more question. Do you have to PVP to get PVP gear?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #500
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eefluxx View Post
Actually one more question. Do you have to PVP to get PVP gear?
No... You can get a set of recruit gear for free. Go to the fleet and see the vendor in the PvP section. Even if you don't PvP get that gear just to sell it for credit. To upgrade that gear, then yeah you have to PvP. You can find some on GTN, but you have to have the proper valor level to wear it.

I don't have a 50 Twi'lek, but I will check the Mirialan, I think I have one at level 50.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #501
Qui-Don Jorn

Current Game: The Old Republic
Helpful! 
Ok, I just learned the hard way that putting BH mods in a Tionese piece isn't going to help you. There goes 60 BH comms down the drain..oops.
My 36% crit rating dropped to 31 after I did all that..pretty pissed about it actually.

i.e. Rakata sets aren't adaptable.
Qui-Don Jorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #502
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuai-Donn Jorn View Post
Ok, I just learned the hard way that putting BH mods in a Tionese piece isn't going to help you. There goes 60 BH comms down the drain..oops.
My 36% crit rating dropped to 31 after I did all that..pretty pissed about it actually.

i.e. Rakata sets aren't adaptable.
I put my bh mods into my rakata gear (and columi chest)... no downgrade in stats.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #503
Qui-Don Jorn

Current Game: The Old Republic
Helpful! 
Ok, I was wrong - but something IS messed up. My critical chance keeps fluctuating between 31.whatever to 36.whatever and then back from area to area.
So a bug maybe??
I was all p.o'ed cause I thought the Tionese hat had some sort of cap on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
No... You can get a set of recruit gear for free. Go to the fleet and see the vendor in the PvP section. Even if you don't PvP get that gear just to sell it for credit. To upgrade that gear, then yeah you have to PvP. You can find some on GTN, but you have to have the proper valor level to wear it.

I don't have a 50 Twi'lek, but I will check the Mirialan, I think I have one at level 50.
Didn't they do away with that? I know both my first two 50's did it and sold the token for the 320k. But I just tried it with my knight and all he got was the gear set and no option for the token. Then selling it only gives you 1 credit per piece.

Last edited by mimartin; 10-08-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Qui-Don Jorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #504
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

1 check your buffs/stims. That is likely where the difference is from.

2. likely on the recruit gear. Another another un-noted change, like the nerf to sawbones patch 1.4 that killed our sound clues.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #505
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Ok, this looks a good thread to start for me. hehe So I know hardly anything about MMO's, but am I huge fan on the KOTOR series (they are my fav games). I've been putting off checking out TOR for a long time because.... well it's not KOTOR III and I really haven't had a computer capable of running it. Coming from the KOTOR series, will I feel right at home in TOR? Will I be able to jump right in and have fun? Will it be overly complicated for me to figure things out?

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #506
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
It wont be hard to pick up at all; You don't need any prior MMO experience.

As for it being a worthy to successor to KotOR... That's to be found in the eye of the beholder.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #507
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Bologna View Post
Ok, this looks a good thread to start for me. hehe So I know hardly anything about MMO's, but am I huge fan on the KOTOR series (they are my fav games). I've been putting off checking out TOR for a long time because.... well it's not KOTOR III and I really haven't had a computer capable of running it. Coming from the KOTOR series, will I feel right at home in TOR? Will I be able to jump right in and have fun? Will it be overly complicated for me to figure things out?
If you can handle Mass Effect, you should be right at home with SWTOR. If you like KotOR, and hate MMO's, I would even go as far as to say that you are more likely to like it than an MMO fan is. Some things may be tough, but fortunately there are a whole mess of people who are willing to help out the new person(sure some are jerks, but you get that). The use of powers and specials is a bit more tricky than KotOR. But you can customize most of it. It feels more like an RPG with multiplayer aspects, than an MMO with RPG aspects.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #508
Eefluxx

What Tommycat says is true.

I didn't want to play it because it was a MMO and since I started I have only missed two days due to the servers being down till the time I had to go to work.

I will say I got sucked into the MMO part of operations and joining a guild. I only joined just to see what it was like and after a slow start I found I enjoyed it because I was with the right people.

I made the mistake of not looking on here to see where everyone was which is on the Harbinger and wound up on the Shadowlands server. I have since made friends on there that I would feel bad about leaving abruptly just to join the Harbinger. Not saying I won't eventually roll a toon on the Harbinger just not likely anytime soon.

There are jerks in the game as well as a ton of nice people who will help and understand if you are just learning the MMO aspects of it. With most guilds they don't seem to care what guild you are part of they will help you just to help.

I will say if you are going to try to just do the story to watch out for PVP jerks on a PVE server. I have come across some on the empire side who lie in wait in stealth for a Republic player (usually a lower level) to be doing one of his missions and use an AOE (area of effect) on a target and then they throw themselves into the AOE and get the player flagged for PVP. Then pretty much ambush him. But in response to the action of not only being reported a bunch of different guild members on the planet joined up and kicked their butts for doing it.

Its a fun game with many things still to be worked out. And there seem to be more good people than bad people playing it.

I will continue to sub since I like doing operations but F2P is perfect for those who just want the story.

Edit funny story:

I did my first Hard mode Flashpoint the other day. This came 2 days after I was invivted to an OPs by my guild and they realized I was undergeared and I had to drop out. They apologized profusly and promised they would do some missions to get me geared for the other missions they were doing. I assured them it was no problem and I wasn't mad and a day later was just asking casually what kind of missions I could do with the gear I had.

The same person who inivited me the other day invited me again to join them on a mission I could do and would help me get better gear. Promise kept.

They use Teamspeak and I don't have a mic so I could only hear them and type my responses in the group chat. What makes it funny is the Tank in the group was someone we didn't know, wasn't part of the guild and wasn't on teamspeak. After halfway thru the FP I began to think this Tank thought I was crazy and my 2 guildmates were rude.

I imagined him/her sitting there saying to themself "2 of my group don't even talk and the one that does just blurts random crap from time to time" He/she was explaining one part of the mission at the same time my guildmates were telling me over the headset the same thing. Finally one of my guildmates realized the same thing I was thinking and told her what was going on explaining they had me on teamspeak but I didn't have a mic and they were helping me get geared up and that I was basically a noob.

Once he found that out he was offering advice for my gunslinger as to what shot I should start out with and telling me what drops I should pick need for and everything.

So its somewhat funny but also shows it doesn't matter about the guild entirely and how helpful alot of people can be.

One last tip I came across: As a male player and male toon I rarely get anyone to help with a heroic or join a group. But a female player or someone playing as a female toon can ask and 8 people are ready and willing to help.

Last edited by Eefluxx; 10-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #509
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
If you can handle Mass Effect, you should be right at home with SWTOR. If you like KotOR, and hate MMO's, I would even go as far as to say that you are more likely to like it than an MMO fan is. Some things may be tough, but fortunately there are a whole mess of people who are willing to help out the new person(sure some are jerks, but you get that). The use of powers and specials is a bit more tricky than KotOR. But you can customize most of it. It feels more like an RPG with multiplayer aspects, than an MMO with RPG aspects.
Thanks guys, I think I will give it a shot here soon. How long does the download usually take or should I just order a 10 dollar copy off Amazon or something? Yes, I've played Mass Effect and love it, but I played on 360 and I do prefer the KOTORs on the Xbox, is it possible to map most of the controls for TOR on a 360 controller? Or will it feel perfectly ok with a keyboard and mouse. For KOTOR on PC I could never get my character to move with the mouse so I just mapped it to the arrow keys. haha I'm hoping I can figure out if I can map the KOTORs on the 360 controller as well cause that would be the best of both worlds for that game as well.

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Old 10-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #510
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I just finsished the download a day ago and it took a day. I own the Collectors Version but decided to do the download as it is the most recent and already patched....

others can give you more info on your other questions, it is going to be different from KoTOR as you are much freer to do things, the KoTOR games combat is very tracked..this is more open and a lot of fun. I like them both but this is really a lot of fun and a huge universe to explore ..you get to see some worlds that have never been modelled in any game title yet.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #511
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Alright, bit the bullet, it's downloading now. I started downloading 10 o clock last night it's probably 1/4 there. Im thinking for my first character I go for a Dark Jedi Sentinel. Any reason I shouldn't do a Dark Jedi? Or should I just be either a good Jedi or Sith. Also, is there restrictions on class on what kind of lightsaber you use, whether it be single blade, dual-wield, or double-blade? What are the restrictions on color as well?

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #512
CrisG
Aging Jedi

I started with a Jedi on the light side, i hear the Dark side is fun and the story interesting. the one negative i hit was I tried to be a tank and it was just too much work and punishing..so a Sentinel should be a good choice, the bosses are tough at each general level as you advance but if you have skills in combat i am sure you will do fine.

Re the Saber, you level up and have access to limited weapons at the start and then they improve over time, along with the equipment, there is a huge range of equipment you can buy or find or loot, i dont want to spoil your discovery of the way things work but you will have a chance to try out a lot of equipment as you progress. Others are much more knowledgable about this, but that is my response to your question about that.

You gain, have to pay for, skills to allow you to weild the two sabres and the double blade so you should start gathering credits in the learning area right away as the skills are expensive in the in game currency. You will pick up on it soon i am sure, and anyone here will help they were very helpful to me. I wont be back in the game myself until Monday or so but if i do see you i will say hi..and help if i can. Be sure to post your avatar name and i would suggest joining one of our guilds they are a lot of fun and you will need to do group activities to advance past things....there is a lot you can do SP but you will need help at some points and people here are great...

It is a really remarkable game world and a lot of fun and it does expand our chance to see the Star Wars universe a lot. The in game videos and movies are superb and they managed to almost seamlessly match the game vids and the actual game graphics so it feels very realistic. I am just coming back after about six months away so i will have to remember a lot too.

There are special data chrons hidden around the world that give special abilities and game story but they are hard to find. They give off a glow you can see as you explore..if you see a coloured glow on some high ledge or place that is usually a data chron, there are several at least in each world.

Here is what they look like in the game...

they are hidden, often very well, inside too..

If i got something wrong hopefully some of the "elders" will correct me, i just wanted to welcome you and encourage you as you wait for the download, it takes time and there was a recent patch too that will load up, 1.5 i think it is. they are fixing things all the time and adding new content and new events.

DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR

Last edited by CrisG; 10-14-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #513
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Thanks ChrisG, I think my character name will probably have Bologna in the title. Screen name I signed up with was JTrials. Not sure where I'm at on the download really, I have about 4.04G of Main Assets 1. Not sure how far along that is. haha I probably won't start until Monday or so either.

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #514
CrisG
Aging Jedi

hi and cool. you can just call me Cris I am played quite a bit early this year and this group is very nice, they revolved around the Walking Carpets, (Jedi) and the Imperial Bastards (Imperial) and they have a forum now as well as this one for orgainziing group events...here: http://thewalkingcarpets.com/ if you want to join either guild sign up here and over there, and introduce yourself once you get your character name and info.

the rules are simple and good for the Casual Alliance and i think it sounds like a great way to share in the group experiences which are an important part of the game.

Be sure to start your play on the Harbinger server, there were a LOT of servers in the start but now there are fewer and they are consolidated. Have fun and be sure to ask any questions, people are very friendly here.

You got a ways to go, the total game is almost 20 GB enjoy

Old 10-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #515
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisG View Post
hi and cool. you can just call me Cris I am played quite a bit early this year and this group is very nice, they revolved around the Walking Carpets, (Jedi) and the Imperial Bastards (Imperial) and they have a forum now as well as this one for orgainziing group events...here: http://thewalkingcarpets.com/ if you want to join either guild sign up here and over there, and introduce yourself once you get your character name and info.

the rules are simple and good for the Casual Alliance and i think it sounds like a great way to share in the group experiences which are an important part of the game.

Be sure to start your play on the Harbinger server, there were a LOT of servers in the start but now there are fewer and they are consolidated. Have fun and be sure to ask any questions, people are very friendly here.

You got a ways to go, the total game is almost 20 GB enjoy
Thanks, I'll send my info in and join when I get it all done. Yeah, It'll be a while, still got about half a gig left on Main Assets 1.

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Old 10-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #516
CrisG
Aging Jedi

takes time for all that SW goodness to get downloaded worth the wait ....... see you soon.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #517
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Bologna View Post
Im thinking for my first character I go for a Dark Jedi Sentinel.
If you are new to the entire MMO thing, then there are easier classes for solo leveling and saving the Knight for later. The Knight gets it healing companion later in the game than other classes. Shadow or scondrel both have stealth on the republic side and many CCs. Makes for way easier solo leveling. However, I'm leveling a Knight now and it is a blast. Watchman spec and I do not need stealth or CCs to level her. Total blast to play. Just read up on what to wear and what spec suits your play style best. Questions just ask.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #518
CrisG
Aging Jedi

There you go, Mim is one of the pros here, and has been a huge help to me, follow his advice any time it is offered i do

Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #519
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
The Trooper is a pretty easy class for newcomers too...

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #520
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Really wanted my first character to be a Jedi. hehe What about Consulars? They were always the hardest to play in KOTOR so I figured they'd be tough to play here, but I may be wrong. It's probably done or almost done downloading by now, it was almost done when I left this morning. So I will probably give it a go tonight after work.

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > The Old Republic for Dummies