lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Thoughts on owning eBooks/eReaders
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Thoughts on owning eBooks/eReaders

So I've been looking at Kindles and flip-flopping on whether to spend my store credit on that new Kindle Paperwhite. If I didn't have the store credit I woudn't even be thinking about it.

The main reason why I dislike ebooks and really haven't thought about a kindle is the terms and conditions you have to agree to. The way I interpret the fine print, Amazon (or the book publisher) can give you the finger and tell you to screw off while they delete your books without compensating you in any way. It's what you agree to when you purchase an ebook. If they tried that with my physical books, that would be theft, and I'd punch them in the face.

Of course, that's an extreme, and unlikely scenario, but the thought that it's possible (and has happened before) does not endear me to the kindle and ebooks in general.

And don't get me started on the pricing. There's no sane reason an ebook should cost more than a paperback.

I'm thinking I'll wait a couple more years to see what happens. Who knows, maybe ebooks will become DRM free like mp3s are leaning towards.

Wow, I sound like a curmudgeonly old coot when it comes to my books.

/end rambling

Who here owns an eReader or purchases eBooks? What are your thoughts? Has your eperience been positive or negative?
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Thoughts on owning eBooks/eReaders