lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad
Good 19 20.65%
Let's wait and see 51 55.43%
Bad 10 10.87%
Yoda 12 13.04%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

I don't have a link yet, but I've just seen this pop up on twitter -

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNBC
BREAKING: Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4B in cash & stock
Thoughts?

EDIT -

Official Statement from Disney

Link

Quote:
Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Last edited by Astor; 10-30-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Whaaaa? Wonder if that means ILM too? This is very big news (movie-wise of course )

Can't wait to hear more!

Edit: Ok, I've thought about this. ILM is a division of Lucasfilm, so I'm assuming it must be part of the deal. Also this means that Disney would own the rights to Star Wars and other LucasFilm films/franchises. And then there is Lucasarts as well. So much stuff going around in one deal, I'll really be watching this one.

Last edited by Dak Drexl; 10-30-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Wow, this is some news. If it means Star Wars Episode 7 I would be very happy.

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Astor
It's Thornhill!

I've added a link with some more information.

Apparently, and I'm told this is not a joke, Episode VII will be released in 2015.

Yes, that's right. Episode VII.

Nerd rage in 3, 2, 1...

Old 10-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorge View Post
Wow, this is some news. If it means Star Wars Episode 7 I would be very happy.
Honestly I thought that was a joke but I would more than welcome another star wars movie

Edit: Haha! Just saw your post Astor, that's just crazy

Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Scorge
Jedi Master

If only it is based on the TOR era.

Formally MrObiWan

Old 10-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Episode -VII?

Edit: Here's the press release:

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd

Last edited by Dak Drexl; 10-30-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Drexl View Post
Thanks Dak, I've put a copy up in the OP as well.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
battle111
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR and LOTRO
What the !!! this is inteed big news
battle111 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
R.I.P.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
Red Hessian

Current Game: Oblivion
Quote:
The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years.
Ladies and gentlemen, the Clone Wars have gone live action...

R.I.P indeed.
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
In the words of Daniel Bryan: No! No! NO!!!

So I guess this means no more TCW wars on Cartoon Network then eh or the delicious violence and excellent duel scenes that made me love Star Wars to begin with.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
That would be Episode -I. Could be disastrous or great news, one one hand Disney has done Marvel justice, on the other the prequels were good movies but not good Star Wars movies when compared to the trilogy.

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Lord Foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
In the words of Daniel Bryan: No! No! NO!!!

So I guess this means no more TCW wars on Cartoon Network then eh or the delicious violence and excellent duel scenes that made me love Star Wars to begin with.
You do realize that Disney made every Marvel movie since 2009 (ie post Iron Man 1), including the Avengers? It's not going to be mickey mouse.

This is good news. Maybe I'm unique in that I really don't think bad sequels ever hurt my appreciation for originals. So really, worst case scenario, they release something I just ignore. Best case, we get good movies again (ie no George Lucas dialogue)

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
F**k my Comic Collection, we are getting episode 7 from the people that brought us the Avengers, I'm a Happy, Happy man!
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
Scorge
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
F**k my Comic Collection, we are getting episode 7 from the people that brought us the Avengers, I'm a Happy, Happy man!
So am I.

Formally MrObiWan

Old 10-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Star Wars Episode VII: A Youngling loses his lightsaber and needs to find it with the help of his floating Jawa friend.

If they make it animated I'm going drink ethanol.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Not sure how I feel about it... On one side it may be the kind of thing that prevents Lucas from further messing with SW lore. On the other side of it is the whole law suit over "Happy Birthday" type stuff that I would hate. Jedi and Star Wars references are all over our culture.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Lord Foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
Star Wars Episode VII: A Youngling loses his lightsaber and needs to find it with the help of his floating Jawa friend.

Again, I point you to the Avengers.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Good....Even bad Star Wars is better than 90% of the other crap that is released as movies or TV.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Good - if it takes the Star Wars franchise out of the hands of Lucas, who for whatever reason has seemingly been trying to destroy them since TPM. I'd love to see where say a trilogy directed by Christopher Nolan would go.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
thejman217
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post

........Even though that Disney made all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (the most recent one was fantastic in my opinion), Iron man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers, I hope that it will not turn out like that.

If they make it animated, I won't drink ethanol; I will simply give up on a major part of my life.
thejman217 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley View Post
You do realize that Disney made every Marvel movie since 2009 (ie post Iron Man 1), including the Avengers? It's not going to be mickey mouse.

This is good news. Maybe I'm unique in that I really don't think bad sequels ever hurt my appreciation for originals. So really, worst case scenario, they release something I just ignore. Best case, we get good movies again (ie no George Lucas dialogue)
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Good....Even bad Star Wars is better than 90% of the other crap that is released as movies or TV.
Double agreed!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #24
battle111
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR and LOTRO
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejman217 View Post
........Even though that Disney made all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (the most recent one was fantastic in my opinion), Iron man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers, I hope that it will not turn out like that.

If they make it animated, I won't drink ethanol; I will simply give up on a major part of my life.
Are they gana make it animated !!!!!!!!!!!!! l known that all Stat wars movies are film style not animated l known that there is star wars the clone wars animated series and those series are good but known that Disney buys lucasfilm aaaaaaaaaa but known hmmmmmm now wonder were this gana led to
also l wonder why they did such a thing.
battle111 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #25
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
If they can treat the Star Wars universe in the same way they continue to treat the Marvel universe, then we might get what no one really hoped for anymore: an amazing Star Wars movie. People have mentioned The Avengers already, and for me, this movie resembles the original trilogy most in spirit in recent times, so I'm hoping they take some cues from it.

But what about the games? Hmm...

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #26
Scorge
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Ah, the question that will live on for a while.....

Formally MrObiWan

Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I'm so damn depressed right now...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #28
Blix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley View Post

Sorry I haven't watched any Marvel films since the Toby Macquire Spiderman film, so my judgment comes solely from their babyization of acquired anime like Naruto Shippuden, and the horrible, horrid vomit-inducing programs that the Disney channel has been airing since 2004-2005. Until I see more (physical) evidence on the matter to sway me, my opinion remains the same.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I. Don't. Believe. It.

If it gets Star Wars out of George's destructive clutches this can only be a good thing.

Okay, Disney, just give me the unaltered original trilogy on blu-ray and I don't care what else you do.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #30
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Okay, Disney, just give me the unaltered original trilogy on blu-ray and I don't care what else you do.
Ha! You have no idea how many times I've already seen this said in different places around the web. It would be nice, though....

Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #31
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I am crying right now. It's all over.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #32
thejman217
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
I don't think LucasFilms controls game production. I believe it's LucasArts? Regardless, it would be awesome if 'Arts went back to the style of their early 2000s games. Personally, I don't like the most recent Lego Star Wars video games.

What if, and this is a BIG if, this could be the introduction of a new trilogy (7,8, and then 9)?! Three more movies. Another added trilogy. 9 movies, three trilogies. Three trilogies. Three trilogies. "Star Wars: A Trilogy of Trilogies". Trilogyception.
thejman217 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #33
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Thrawn! Thrawn! Thrawn! Thrawn! Thrawn!

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC : THE JEDI MASTERS
PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Trex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #34
Blix
Veteran

Where would they even start? So many books to choose from, I think maybe Disney will come up with their own trilogy for VII-IX.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #35
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
I don't think LucasFilms controls game production. I believe it's LucasArts? Regardless, it would be awesome if 'Arts went back to the style of their early 2000s games. Personally, I don't like the most recent Lego Star Wars video games.
LucasArts is a division LucasFilm, as are ILM and Skywalker Sound, which were all included in the deal if I'm reading this right.

Quote:
What if, and this is a BIG if, this could be the introduction of a new trilogy (7,8, and then 9)?! Three more movies. Another added trilogy. 9 movies, three trilogies. Three trilogies. Three trilogies. "Star Wars: A Trilogy of Trilogies". Trilogyception.
You should re-read the article, or read it if you haven't already

Episode VII is slated for 2015 and the deal says that they want a new Star Wars film every three years.

Quote:
Where would they even start? So many books to choose from, I think maybe Disney will come up with their own trilogy for VII-IX.
I don't see why it matters.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #36
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
I don't think LucasFilms controls game production. I believe it's LucasArts?
LucasArts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm, though.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #37
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
WHAT THE EVERLOVING ****.

WHAT. THE. ****.

Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #38
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
^Came outta nowhere, didn't it?

I really hope that the new movies have original storylines.

Notable exceptions aside, most of the EU is just terrible.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #39
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Oh my god! I'm so undecided on this! :P I think i'm happy but cautious.
I think the star wars saga is better left as it is, to be honest...

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #40
Blix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Drexl View Post

I don't see why it matters.
It matters to those of us who happen to enjoy reading the EU, and the new Disney-LF could quite possibly bastardize all of it. Of course there's no saying that the books by themselves can't be enjoyed, but it's nice to have everything fit together and it's also where a majority of the novel's callbacks and references come from (other EU canon and Prequel/Current Trilogy Canon and TCW canon).

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

Tags
disney, ermahgerd, lucasfilm, mayans were right