lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad
Good 19 20.43%
Let's wait and see 52 55.91%
Bad 10 10.75%
Yoda 12 12.90%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #41
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Oh my god! I'm so undecided on this! :P I think i'm happy but cautious.
I think the star wars saga is better left as it is, to be honest...
In the toilet?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #42
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
It matters to those of us who happen to enjoy reading the EU, and the new Disney-LF could quite possibly bastardize all of it. Of course there's no saying that the books by themselves can't be enjoyed, but it's nice to have everything fit together and it's also where a majority of the novel's callbacks and references come from (other EU canon and Prequel/Current Trilogy Canon and TCW canon).
Well it's just stuff that somebody makes up anyway, so for me it doesn't make a difference what any of it is about, just so long as it's entertaining of course.

To each, his own

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #43
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Wait, doesn't Lucasfilm own Indiana Jones too?

I'm beside myself. I don't know how to feel.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #44
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Let's hope that whomever makes the new films has watched Plinkett's reviews.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #45
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #46
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
WHAT THE EVERLOVING ****.

WHAT. THE. ****.

You look so funny with all of the censored words.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #47
Scorge
Jedi Protector

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I wonder if they will put the jedi spirits in Star Wars Episode 7 [Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan]

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #48
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
^Came outta nowhere, didn't it?

I really hope that the new movies have original storylines.

Notable exceptions aside, most of the EU is just terrible.
You have read every single installment in the Star Wars Expanded Universe in order to arrive at that conclusion? You sir have earned my respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Drexl View Post
Well it's just stuff that somebody makes up anyway, so for me it doesn't make a difference what any of it is about, just so long as it's entertaining of course.

To each, his own
True, the stories don't necessarily NEED to be 'movie' canon in order to be enjoyed, it just helps things to mesh better. I would be bummed though reading a book and knowing that it was totally out of place in the SW timeline, that would be on my mind the entire time.

But seriously folks we're missing the big picture here, now we can have Darth Vader, Yoda, Maul, The Death Star and Force Powers in any future Kingdom Hearts games that come out yay!

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #49
mr_dad
Rookie

Before anyone trolls or what not, let's look at the facts.

1. Disney has bought Lucasfilm and owns the rights to Star Wars.
2. They said they will do another Star Wars film.
3. The Star Wars timeline spans 25,000+ years; plenty of room for new films.

What don't we know?

1. Who will direct, write, or star in this new film.
2. How Disney intends to take Star Wars. Maybe they will do a James Bond thing with some good and some bad movies. That is the most likely.

So we have no reason to complain about this. However, there is something for me to say. As much crap as I have given Lucas, he has earned some respect from me for letting this go. Now he no longer receives the profits and such from Star Wars. He has given up his baby for the fans, and that is commendable.

mr_dad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #50
Blix
Veteran

^
GL has enough bank that he doesn't NEED his baby anymore, I'm not sure why he sold it -- it certainly wasn't for the fans maybe it was to wash his hands of it and be exempt from any responsibility of the franchise.

I just have to add that this can be both good and bad; the bad I've already stated -- you don't really NEED movie-confirmed canon to enjoy a book. The good, a much needed breath of fresh air into the franchise that for years focused solely on The Clone Wars and viewers aged 10 - 14. Hopefully this new trilogy will gather old fans and new fans alike, while working with a new and original story for the new movie(s) (no I don't care if I don't see Thrawn/Yuzzahn Vong/Legacy stories etc. on the big screen)

Last edited by Blix; 10-30-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #51
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_dad View Post
1. Who will direct, write, or star in this new film.
In movie terms, 2015 is pretty damn close; I'd expect this stuff to be figured out fairly soon.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #52
Blix
Veteran

Quote:
In movie terms, 2015 is pretty damn close; I'd expect this stuff to be figured out fairly soon.
If they're not already in the writing process then they should be, if not I expect the projected release date to be pushed back another year.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #53
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
I saw this story posted on Facebook, and of course there's a long thread here about it :P
I'm excited, I'd love to see another trilogy and without Lucas' wooden prequel dialog we may actually get some solid movies out of this deal. Also curious about the games aspect of it, will we see more LucasArts games too?

Obviously there is loads of written material covering the era after the first trilogy ended, so I'm looking forward to seeing what exactly the story turns out to be, and if they decide to adapt book stories to film.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #54
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Lots of good information here:

http://www.theforce.net/topstory/sto...ion_148648.asp

Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #55
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

I don't like this. I don't like this at all. ಠ_ಠ

And Episode 7?

View page
YouTube Video

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #56
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Eh... I can always just pretend the new film doesn't exist if I don't like it. I actually like the EU slightly more than the movies...

As far as I'm concerned, the clone wars cartoon and ahsoka don't exist.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #57
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
Oh God we are going to get another LEGO game

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #58
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Tangent: lol @ thread tags

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #59
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

I just hope that Episode 7 doesn't turn out to be an adaptation of one of the books.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #60
Qui-Don Jorn

Current Game: The Old Republic
Helpful! 
George is creative consultant for new films right? Hmmmm..I was going to suggest something but I don't want to jinx us all.
I was on fleet (TOR) as a couple ppl were talking about this, and totally thought they were just joking.
Qui-Don Jorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #61
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Nothing bad happened to Marvel after Disney took over, quite the opposite in fact.

And unlike Lucas-controlled Lucasfilm, Marvel still had some redeeming features beforehand.

It might not improve, but it certainly won't sink lower, since you can't when you're already at rock bottom.

Edit: On a side note, I take great comfort in the fact that whenever I take a long hiatus, even if it's for years as it has been in the past, many of the same faces are still around here.

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 10-30-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #62
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
F**k my Comic Collection, we are getting episode 7 from the people that brought us the Avengers, I'm a Happy, Happy man!
*high fives* Thats the way to view it! I'm excited yet terrified at the same time!
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #63
Blix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Graffiti View Post
I just hope that Episode 7 doesn't turn out to be an adaptation of one of the books.
I more or less agree with this. It should be unique and original - even if it borrows a few things from EU, it should be its own story. I feel like if it's based on novel that's since been released then we've more or less already seen it.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #64
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Really, as long as they don't completely overwrite the EU or at least the Thrawn trilogy, I won't be too annoyed. What will annoy me is finding out that half the Star Wars books I own are no longer canon.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #65
Blix
Veteran

^
Unless they are really, REALLY industrious and plan on rewriting EVERYTHING from scratch I don't think Disney will throw everything out the window when they have so much to work with already. I can definitely see them tweaking some things here and there which will most likely upset some, but I can't see them writing off everything in favor of new material -- if anything they will just build upon it and emphasis the Disney-Original SW stuff.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #66
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Wow, that was completely unexpected. I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been some sort of inkling of this deal before now. You generally don't arrange 4 billion dollar takeovers in an afternoon I wouldn't have thought.

I'm torn over what this may mean. On the one hand, having the franchise taken away from Lucas can surely only be a good thing. On the other, the idea of Episode VII and an endless stream of further sequels kind of makes my stomach turn.

Well, as someone else said earlier, let's hope they release a de-bastardised version of the OT on Blu-Ray at least.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #67
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Uncle George has been destructive in some ways. The new person heading up lucasfilm has a track record generally for better, more than worse. Still I'm meh on this personally, because these sorts of things are always catch 22.

I tend to assume it's been totally sold out, but hope it will see ever greater success in ways most of us can like.

Quote:
Well it's just stuff that somebody makes up
That has a canon committee that painstakingly scrutinizes and researches all EU. This new move potentially means the new stuff could take a big dump on all of it.

Quote:
To each, his own
Hey, maybe you and I don't have attachments to some EU material in question/jeopardy, but others do. You can only improve so much upon something by butchering.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #68
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Wow. There was nothing that clued me in to George Lucas being willing to relinquish control of Star Wars. I guess I missed the 4 billion plus reasons to do so.

My take on today's momentous announcement:
  • Be prepared for lots of Star Wars movies. At least 4 more for sure. Disney needs to make back its $4 billion dollars and then some.
  • Expect plenty of retcons and general disregard for Star Wars continuity especially where the EU is concerned. This may not be all bad though. As with most things the relative merits of continuity breaks depend greatly on one's point of view.
  • Star Wars games and LucasArts don't gain any immediate benefit from this deal. Disney Interactive has performed miserably for quite some time so it's not like Disney has the chops to show LucasArts how game development is done.
    Quote:
    The big emphasis during Disney’s conference call discussing its acquisition of Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion was, not surprisingly, the enormous earnings potential of the Star Wars franchise. And that includes gaming — so one of the analysts asked for more details about Disney’s interactive strategy.

CEO Bob Iger responded that the company is “likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console.” However, he added that Disney will look at console games “opportunistically,” using licensing deals to allow other companies to create Star Wars games for cosnoles.
    Source: TechCrunch
    I know my first reaction to this news was that Star Wars: The Old Republic is toast. I'm sure many of you are fine with that but I need another 6 months or so . So yeah, it doesn't look like the future of LucasArts and serious Star Wars gaming is substantially improved. I feel confident this deal is the reason why a new LucasArts president was not selected after the last president, Paul Meegan, left and was quite possibly the reason he did leave. And I interpret Bob Iger's response to the gaming factor of this acquisition to mean that Star Wars gaming wasn't much of a consideration. Disney is all about the moviemaking and merchandising potential. Alas, I fear Star Wars games will continue to languish for some time after Disney closes this deal. The only saving grace is the possibility of an independent developer pitching Disney a SW game that Disney likes and is willing to fund development of.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #69
Blix
Veteran

^
Well damn....

Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #70
JCarter426

Wait, what? When I went to sleep, the world was normal... ish.

I'm still asleep, aren't I?

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #71
Lord Foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
painstakingly scrutinizes and researches all EU.
That's an awfully nice euphamism for "mercilessly retcons and exploits existing EU."

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #72
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
I know my first reaction to this news was that Star Wars: The Old Republic is toast.
Unlikely, at least in the short term. EA will certainly have signed a multi-year licensing deal with LA/LF, which I would expect to still be legally binding under the Disney buyout. I think it is far more likely for EA to pull the pin than Disney.

Far more troubling is the focus on mobile/social games. Seems like there's even less chance now for a revival of the classics like the X-Wing and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #73
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
  • Star Wars games and LucasArts don't gain any immediate benefit from this deal. Disney Interactive has performed miserably for quite some time so it's not like Disney has the chops to show LucasArts how game development is done.
    Quote:
    The big emphasis during Disney’s conference call discussing its acquisition of Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion was, not surprisingly, the enormous earnings potential of the Star Wars franchise. And that includes gaming — so one of the analysts asked for more details about Disney’s interactive strategy.

CEO Bob Iger responded that the company is “likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console.” However, he added that Disney will look at console games “opportunistically,” using licensing deals to allow other companies to create Star Wars games for cosnoles.
Well, at least on the licensing department I'd say Disney Interactive is doing quite well. Look at Kingdom Hearts: their biggest financial (and, possibly, critic) success, possible only through licensing Disney material to Square Enix. And this is not a new process, since Disney has been licensing their IPs to more experienced developers since the 8 bits Era.

On the downside, I must again refer to Kingdom Hearts: it has been running for almost 10 years now, with numerous spin-offs, and there's no end in sight. Cash milking, but then again we don't want Star Wars game to meet their end anyway.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #74
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
It just goes to show you that the statement in my sig is true.

Sith does happen.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear this is the first sign of the Mayan 2012 Apocalypse.

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #75
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifier View Post
If I didn't know better, I'd swear this is the first sign of the Mayan 2012 Apocalypse.
The Mayans saw it in the Stars :P

I have been debating whether or not I care if EU is all retconned, and I have come to the conclusion that I don't mind. I can reason out what I want to be true myself. I'm all for another good Star Wars movie. Hope they can pull it off.

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 AM   #76
*~*Darth pOOba*~*
Rookie

Current Game: The game of life
I honestly don't know how to feel about this..... I kinda feel like my big brother took away my toy or something..... Lucasfilms has always been independent its just weird to think of it as being owned by someone else. This thing as a whole could either be really good or really bad. And what's episode vii gonna be about anyway? A 80 year old Han Solo and a smoker cough Leia? I guess we'll just hafta wait and see.

Geek is Chic

"...And we will never back down, because a life without freedom is not a life worth living." - Ratonhnhaké:ton

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
*~*Darth pOOba*~* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #77
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*Darth pOOba*~* View Post
And what's episode vii gonna be about anyway? A 80 year old Han Solo and a smoker cough Leia?
50-year-old Mark Hamill will be reprising his role of a 20-something Mark Hamill acting Luke Skywalker. You heard it here first.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #78
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley View Post
That's an awfully nice euphamism for "mercilessly retcons and exploits existing EU."
Not denying some moves by the canon committee have left me scratching my head in the past. I beg to differ from Dak Drexl's opinion, though, that "it's just stuff that somebody makes up" because some EU actually gives the proper respect to the rest of Star Wars that it deserves.

Some stuff people enjoyed that was canon before, now suddenly isn't canon, sort of ruins it, on one extreme. The other extreme is no contradiction but it bastardizes past works.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 AM   #79
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
One upside of retcons - maybe now Chewy won't end up getting a moon dropped on his head.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #80
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
View page
YouTube Video

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

Tags
disney, ermahgerd, lucasfilm, mayans were right