lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New to Star Wars reading
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
movieguy12
Lurker

New to Star Wars reading

Hello. Im new to reading Star Wars and my gf and i are huge fans. We are both wanting to start reading futhur into the Star Wars Universe but not entirely sure where to start or what is even a good read.

We are both more into the actual Force,Jedi,Sith,action type books. Probably not books that have to do with maninly xwing battles or something like that. We dont care if they are before the movies, between or during the movies or after. I do own Darth Plagueis, and the Darth Bane trilogy I just havent started them yet. I am curious if the The Old Republic books are any good? the fate of the jedi?

Ive been recommeded these.

WANT TO FILL IN THE GAPS BETWEEN MOVIES?
Death Star
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Shadows of the Empire
The Force Unleashed - Actually the best novel I've read so far. "Badass," doesn't begin to describe it.
Tales of the Bounty Hunters
Tales from Jabba's Palace

WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Heir to the Empire (The Thrawn Trilogy) This was the first major fiction written after the movies. Not confusing or full of spoilers.
X-Wing: Rogue Squadron. Read at least the first 4. All 8 are good. Like to get away from Luke, Leia, Han and the Jedi? This focuses on the starfighter aspect. Stackpole rocks!

WANT TO START WITH A NEW CAST OF CHARACTERS?
Vector Prime takes you about 25 years after the Battle of Yavin. Lots of spoilers. I say enjoy at least the novels above before coming here. This book and the 25 or so novels after it will rock your Star Wars world forever. They are great, but I don't recommend them to start. I'm on Star by Star right now and it is competing with The Force Unleashed for the best I've read yet. But this is about 10 books in to the series.

LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE SITH MORE?
Read the Darth Bane Trilogy that starts with Path of Destruction. This series was dam good.

CLONE WARS FAN?
I haven't really enjoyed many of those books. Shatterpoint with Mace Windu was the best I've read so far and that starts out really slow. Ends pretty good.
The Approaching Storm was okay, but I have mixed emotions about that one still.

FAN OF BOBA FETT?
Read the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. The Mandalorian Armor, Slave Ship, and Hard Merchandise.

PLEASE AVOID AT ALL COSTS:
Jedi Academy Trilogy - There are lots of references to this stuff, but they were bad. Read the summary instead of wasting your time.
Anything written by Barbara Hambly. So confusing.
Dark Saber - happens between two Hambly novels. Never really any major conflict either.
Splinter of the Minds Eye. This one is so bad it's almost good.
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
They Crystal Star
Truce at Bakura
Galaxies: Ruins of Dantooine
movieguy12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Expanded Universe > New to Star Wars reading