Thread: Free Cartel Coins?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Free Cartel Coins?

Is there any way to get free cartel coins that doesn't involve suscribing or spending real money??

Just curious if there's any in-game means of acquiring them.

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I don't think so. It'd kind of defeat the purpose of having the whole Cartel Market system, now would it?

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Unless it was used as a promotional incentive to entice new subs.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Short of hitting Lynk over the head and taking his coins there isn't a way.

However, pretty much anything in the cartel shop can be bought for credits on the GTN.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
However, pretty much anything in the cartel shop can be bought for credits on the GTN.
Anything??

Isn't GTN restricted to non-F2P players though?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
Anything??

Isn't GTN restricted to non-F2P players though?
No, there are restrictions on F2P players, but not from using GTN, pretty sure there are restrictions to how much you can put on the GTN to sale, but that has nothing to do the purchases. However, the amount of credits a F2P player can have in their inventory would restrict them to what they could afford to purchase.

Yeah most anything, even unlocks...some really stupid unlocks too. Like having operations listed for 1 million credits, anyone that can afford the unlock does not need the unlock because they are a subscriber.

Just FYI, when using GTN a item is a item. So scroll around to find the lowest price for that idea. On somethings prices can be way out of whack. A Advanced Might Hilt 27 is a Advanced Might Hilt 27, if it is selling for 1.5 million credits or 9.5K credits it is the exact same thing, so purchase the 9.5K credit one.

Last edited by mimartin; 02-04-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

As a F2P player there's a limit to how many credits I can have?! If so, what's the limit?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

No clue I subsribe. Think it is 250K, but not 100% sure.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
As a F2P player there's a limit to how many credits I can have?! If so, what's the limit?
200k for F2P, 350k for preferred status.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
200k for F2P, 350k for preferred status.
So if I reach the 200K mark future credits gained from missions and loot just go to waste then? Similar to the 20 limit for planet commendations I suppose.

Do you get preferred status by purchasing cartel coins then?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

To the first question: You don't actually lose any credits you earn beyond the limit, but they are stored by BioWare in case you become a preferred player or a subscriber, at which point you get your credits back. To the second, a simple "yes" suffices.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
To the first question: You don't actually lose any credits you earn beyond the limit, but they are stored by BioWare in case you become a preferred player or a subscriber, at which point you get your credits back. To the second, a simple "yes" suffices.
Well the fact that they store them is decent of them I suppose.
To put it simply then would any cartel coin purchase (no matter how small) make me a preferred player?

I noticed something interesting on Origin (yes I have it but I wanted ME3 so ) that I can buy SWTOR.
There's 2 versions: the "Standard Edition" and "Digital Deluxe Edition".
What benefits (if any) where there be to me buying the game? I wouldn't mind buying the game if there was some actual in-game benefits to me doing so.

Last edited by VeniVidiVicous; 02-04-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
Eefluxx

Depends on what kind of player you are.

If you just want to do the stories then F2P is the way to go.

If you want the fun of endgame content then subscription is the way to go.

At $15 a month for subscribers it is a really decent deal. Extra quirks as they are with quickbars and such or things on the cartel market that will say free to subs, so many more places to put your stuff. (George Carlin reference there)

Plus for me the endgame content is worth it.

As for the digital edition, you get a free speeder that levels with you meaning you wouldn't need to buy a speeder ever. And its a decent looking speeder. You get a flare gun and a dancing twilek hologram and VIP badge to go to the VIP section on the fleet and some other little knickknacks. The speeder itself is the only thing worth it to me from the digital pack. Plus any other toons you create automatically get the speeder and other things mailed to them the minute they start.

You still can't use the speeder until you visit the trainer for it but you don't have to buy one. But you can also buy speeders on the GTN that level with you for really cheap so it is up to you.

Feel Free To Disagree.....Most People Do Anyways
Eefluxx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Cheers for the info EeFluxx.

So the answer is no then.

Buying a copy of the game won't affect Cartel Coins in any way though??

Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #15
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Bottom line: You're not going to get cartel coins unless you buy cartel coin packs or subscribe. They are not free, they're not meant to be free, they're meant for subscribers and people who pay money to buy the packs. Anything you think will get your cartel coins aside from the two things already mentioned isn't going to work.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Cool, thanks basically all I wanted to know.

Thanks Lynk.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

You can get stuff of the GTN as mentioned before.

Even the 1M things aren't out of reach with the help of a subscriber.

Got a 1M Artifact unlock for my entire account, using a subber helping me than sending COD mails of 350, 350 and 300 (yes, I am a pref. player).

So if you got some great friends who are sub, you can use that to get around the limitations without needing the cartel coins (1800 IIRC for the item I just mentioned, that's over $30)...

EDIT:
Buying the game should be around $13-15. It's basically only a month sub, nothing more nothing less. If you pay more than that you're getting robbed (well unless for those VIP-extras of course)...
Hassat Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter View Post
You can get stuff of the GTN as mentioned before.

Even the 1M things aren't out of reach with the help of a subscriber.

Buying the game should be around $13-15. It's basically only a month sub, nothing more nothing less. If you pay more than that you're getting robbed (well unless for those VIP-extras of course)...
What I was getting at earlier was would buying the game (giving me a months subscription) get me a preferred player status?

I don't know what 1M is. How could you recieve those installments of money without going over your limit or were you spending 300-350K credits between each transaction?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

After your month sub runs out you're preferred player, yes (it's how I got to be preferred player).

1M = 1 Million

By having a sub pay 1 million then paying them back in 350K installments.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #20
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Cool, the free month that comes with the game will definitely put me on that list then? I'm guessing that 1 month suscribed might also get me some Cartel Coins?

So seeing as the trade function doesn't work for F2P, I could get Preferred player status, then a friendly sub can trade me cartel items for in-game credits.
That pretty much it?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #21
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Yeah, but if you're thinking of getting friendly subs to buy you unlocks for cheap, you'll be disappointed. Remember, this is real world money when we talk about cartel coins. You'll be able to get a bunch of other stuff that's inconsequential but if you're really going to worry about unlocks to begin with, you may as well just put down the money to buy the cartel coin packs anyway.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #22
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Does a lot of in-game credits work well as an incentive??

Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #23
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

If you can spend the many countless hours patiently gathering it up... and then can find someone who wants to waste their cartel coins.

Best bet is GTN, but you're not going to find all of the relevant unlocks there and it's not going to be cheap for you. Most of them are above the 250k f2p and 350k pp mark for some reason...

Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Best bet is GTN, but you're not going to find all of the relevant unlocks there and it's not going to be cheap for you. Most of them are above the 250k f2p and 350k pp mark for some reason...
I heard about that, seems odd.

I think a friend IRL is a sub so maybe I should talk to him.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

Quote:
Cool, the free month that comes with the game will definitely put me on that list then? I'm guessing that 1 month suscribed might also get me some Cartel Coins?
The game is free. You don't pay for the game. It's not a "free month", the month is what you're buying.
And yes, it will also grant 500 CC
Quote:
I could get Preferred player status, then a friendly sub can trade me cartel items for in-game credits.
No, since as pref. player you can't send money, either with trade or mail. Only mails with COD will work.
Quote:
Remember, this is real world money when we talk about cartel coins.
Not really, since they'll just buy it for you from the GTN. No CC for you, no CC for them.
Yes, it does limit availability somewhat, but no-one's paying any real money (well, the sub for his/her sub, but that's it)
Quote:
you may as well just put down the money to buy the cartel coin packs anyway.
*most* (not all) cartel pack items are for sale on the GTN. Usually cheap, like the Speeder bike cheaper than even the lvl 2 from the store and it gets more speed the higher your speeder level.
And if you really need it, the packs itself are for sale too. Not too cheap though (usually around 200.000 credits).
Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter View Post
The game is free. You don't pay for the game. It's not a "free month", the month is what you're buying.
And yes, it will also grant 500 CC

No, since as pref. player you can't send money, either with trade or mail. Only mails with COD will work.

Not really, since they'll just buy it for you from the GTN. No CC for you, no CC for them.
Yes, it does limit availability somewhat, but no-one's paying any real money (well, the sub for his/her sub, but that's it)
So paying for the game which includes the months subscription is the only way to do the mails with COD??

(What is COD btw)

Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

As stated before, the game is free. So paying for "the game" doesn't "include a month sub", a month sub is all you pay for. If any store asks more, they're ripping you off (I have seen some here do that).

And yes, being a sub is the only way to send mails with COD. Non-subs can receive them though.

COD is adding an item and then the user can only accept it upon paying a fee (then given to the mailer). It's a way to make sure you're not ripped off, and the other person really has to pay you to get his item(s)...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #28
MajikMyst
Rookie

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
So paying for the game which includes the months subscription is the only way to do the mails with COD??

(What is COD btw)
COD=Cash on Delivery

Or in this case, credits..

I am not totally sure I understand what it is you are trying to accomplish.. The best value for the money is to simply be a subscriber.. Subscribers have no restrictions to any content or anything thing else..

http://www.swtor.com/buy

There is the link to buy Cartel Coins.. As well as become a subscriber..

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449

There is the FAQ for F2P in SWTOR.. It can answer all your questions about restrictions and what Prefered Vs. Free 2 play and subscribers..

As a subscriber, I am given a monthly allotment of Cartel Coins.. Which is 500 coins.. I also get 100 coins for having the authenticator.. For a total of 600 coins a month.. That is the only way to get free coins.. 500 for being a subscriber and 100 for having a security key..

The security key is both a keychain thing that can be purchased on the link above.. There is also a downloadable app for smart phones..

As far as I know, you can only purchase additional Cartel Coins from the website.. The first link in this post.. The in game button to buy more simply takes you to the website..

I hope this helps..

Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?
MajikMyst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #29
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

What I was basically trying to figure out is would buying the game on Origin obtain me a preferred player status?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #30
MajikMyst
Rookie

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
What I was basically trying to figure out is would buying the game on Origin obtain me a preferred player status?
I am not sure how to answer that one.. The retail copies you purchase come with 30 days free.. I don't know if Bioware/EA flag your account as a subscriber during that first 30 days or not.. If they do, then yes, when your 30 days expires, you will be bumped down to prefered..

One small clarification.. During the 30 days free play time.. You do not have any of the restrictions that go along with a F2P and a prefered status account.. You have all the options and freedoms of a subscriber.. I just don't know one way or the other if when that 30 days end, you are bumped down to F2P or prefered.. My guess is prefered..

Having said that, back in the day when you had to buy this game, part of the account setup process was setting up a payment option for a subscription.. You were not allowed to play the game until this process was complete.. I do not know if it still works that way.. Mind you subscription could also mean game time cards, so you didn't need a credit card.. If you did use a credit card, your subscription fee didn't start until AFTER the free 30 day period..

Since free to play has been released.. I don't know if what I have just said is still true..

I do know that you can download the game free, but there is no free 30 days attached to it.. It is just the game, and you are automatically setup as a free to play player..

I am sure this isn't much help, but it is all I have to offer..

Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

Last edited by MajikMyst; 02-10-2013 at 12:41 PM.
MajikMyst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Buying the game on origin won't make a difference. Plus, avoid Origin.

The MINIMUM you'd need to do to becoming a preferred player is to spend at least 4.99USD on the game, which is exactly the same as buying the cheapest cartel coin pack. Any thing else you do is overcomplicating matters and is pointless.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #32
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
I am not sure how to answer that one.. The retail copies you purchase come with 30 days free.. I don't know if Bioware/EA flag your account as a subscriber during that first 30 days or not.. If they do, then yes, when your 30 days expires, you will be bumped down to prefered..
This is basically what I was trying to find out, whether buying the game would seal the preferred status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Buying the game on origin won't make a difference. Plus, avoid Origin.

The MINIMUM you'd need to do to becoming a preferred player is to spend at least 4.99USD on the game, which is exactly the same as buying the cheapest cartel coin pack. Any thing else you do is overcomplicating matters and is pointless.
Cool, well maybe i'll make an actual purchase of in-game items via the cartel coins at some point then.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #33
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

5 dollar on 500 coins or 15 dollar on those coins and a month sub. I personally took the second approach, seemed better (especially seeing I haven't even used any of those 500 yet).
But, your choice.

After a sub ends you're automatically a preferred player, even if you haven't bought cartels coins before that, or after that.

If you buy the game all you have to do is enter the keycode to the site, and 30 days are added. No cred requirements, no payments afterwards needed. After those days are up, so is your sub status... you can re-activate it whenever you want though if you miss it. Personally I don't play nearly enough to warrant $15 dollar a month (13 euro a month). The pref. status with unlocks suits me (and my gaming style) a lot better...

Now, what's the best to spend cartel coins on... Rocket boots?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #34
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Preferred status might be the better option for me too I think.

I suppose the fact that i've already created an account shouldn't matter?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #35
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

Nope, I also added my sub to my account created merely for the "free weekend" trial a long time ago, could play it again just fine after the f2p program got launched...
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #36
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Cool. Well I'll keep everything I learned from this thread in mind, if I make a purchase of some kind i'll let ye know in this thread how I got on.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Free Cartel Coins?