lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dead Space 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Dead Space 3

Dead Space 3 confirmed by EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Following a recent leak of Dead Space 3's first screenshots, Electronic Arts has formally confirmed the game's existence.

Quote:
Rumors pertaining to Dead Space 3 has been circulating for well over a year now, but it wasn't until recent weeks that we've seen the first real look at the game; its first screenshots, for one, all but confirms some sort of co-op component, as well as the ability to dual-wield weapons.
Quote:
...the publisher said the third iteration will be officially shown during their E3 press conference on Monday; the first details and debut of the survival horror third-person shooter's footage will be displayed.
Link to the leaked screenshots in the quote.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Dead Space with Co-op. Before anybody says the horror element will be gone with this RE-ish move, I gotta say it won't: cheap scares won't fade away with a mate beside you to share the shock. Gotta defer to Bill Yahthzee description of DS:

"And then there are horror games where the guy in the spooky mask goes "abloogy woogy woo" while standing on the far side of a brightly lit room before walking slowly over to you plucking a violin and then slapping you in the face with a t-bone steak."

It's still a fun game with an intricate and surprisingly intriguing in a "I want to know more" way, so I'm hoping for the best.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I'm excited, but unlike other games, I don't actually know any one else who plays Dead Space that I could play co-op with

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Gameplay footage from EA's conference at E3 (Warning: Language):

View page
YouTube Video

Well, this co-op feature seems interesting indeed. The immediate question that comes to mind is how they're going to preserve the atmosphere/feel of Dead Space, with a second player. But I also wonder if the co-op feature is going to be used to deliver said dynamics in creative, new ways.

I'm optimistic, and quite excited. That release date is too far away!

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
No AI partner has been confirmed. I'm content.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
I've seen an animated dvd of DS for sale at about $9 somewhere, that I now wonder why I never got. The more I look into DS, the more I wonder why I was not interested sooner.

What's wrong with me?

@ JIGOS: The drill vaguely reminds me of the vibranium drill level of Iron Man X-O Manowar: Heavy Metal for the old PS1.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Don't get the animated Dead Space movies and think that's what Dead Space is. Buy the first game and then you'll see what Dead Space is.

As for Dead Space 3... don't worry, in single player mode it'll be the same Dead Space we know and love. Isaac will be very much alone with no AI character tagging along.

Basically the game changes when you play with another character, both in style as well as the events and interactions you have with the game, essentially making Dead Space 3 two different experiences in one.

It'll have the traditional Dead Space feel and then it'll have the feel of what Resident Evil has turned into now. I think Visceral has done a really good thing with this in balancing out the two different styles of games different groups like to play and putting it all in the one game... cause believe it or not, but there are people who actually prefer the more action orientated thing rather than the mysterious tension building side of Dead Space that the rest of us love.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Dread Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Don't get the animated Dead Space movies and think that's what Dead Space is. Buy the first game and then you'll see what Dead Space is.

As for Dead Space 3... don't worry, in single player mode it'll be the same Dead Space we know and love. Isaac will be very much alone with no AI character tagging along.

Basically the game changes when you play with another character, both in style as well as the events and interactions you have with the game, essentially making Dead Space 3 two different experiences in one.

It'll have the traditional Dead Space feel and then it'll have the feel of what Resident Evil has turned into now. I think Visceral has done a really good thing with this in balancing out the two different styles of games different groups like to play and putting it all in the one game... cause believe it or not, but there are people who actually prefer the more action orientated thing rather than the mysterious tension building side of Dead Space that the rest of us love.
So it's gonna go the route of Birth by Sleep and have separate campaigns with their own stories that twist into the overall story, or the Halo 2 route and switch characters at pre-determined spots?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

It has drop in, drop out co-op so the second player can come in at any time during the game if you want them to. No separate campaign, no pre-determined spots.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Dread Advocate

Okay. Maybe it was the way I read your past that made me think that.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/06/0...-hearted-co-op

Excellent, excellent, they're doing everything they can not to turn this into another Resident Evil 5+

Old 06-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #12
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Co-op sure looks interesting.

Quote:
I'm excited, but unlike other games, I don't actually know any one else who plays Dead Space that I could play co-op with
Me.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I'm on the fence about this game until I see a gif of it about a monster vomiting into a man who them vomits back onto the monster, ad infinitum.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
I've seen an animated dvd of DS for sale at about $9 somewhere, that I now wonder why I never got. The more I look into DS, the more I wonder why I was not interested sooner.
Do not get the Dead Space dvd's. Just don't - they're horrible. As Lynk says: not Dead Space at all. If you want to be introduced to the franchise, play DS1. Then, if you happen to like the IP, watch the movies to see/learn a little bit more about the universe. But as I said: they're not not that great as movies, either.

Quote:
@ JIGOS: The drill vaguely reminds me of the vibranium drill level of Iron Man X-O Manowar: Heavy Metal for the old PS1.
I've never even heard of those games..

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Well, i've pre-ordered this game at a local online store.

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #16
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
Do not get the Dead Space dvd's. Just don't - they're horrible. As Lynk says: not Dead Space at all. If you want to be introduced to the franchise, play DS1. Then, if you happen to like the IP, watch the movies to see/learn a little bit more about the universe. But as I said: they're not not that great as movies, either.
Ok. Well if you and Lynk say no, then I suppose I won't even touch the dvd.
I'll just go straight to the game.

Quote:
I've never even heard of those games..
That's all just one game. Marvel and Acclaim made it a joint production.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Ma...in_Heavy_Metal

It's...okay I guess for being what it is... a 1996 sidescroll action game.

Acclaim IMO dropped the ball hard for buying up Valiant Comics. I think this was the reason Marvel decided to do crossover business with Capcom.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

View page
YouTube Video

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

It's obvious from the very beginning that the Necromorphs were heavily inspired by The Thing, and Dead Space 3 takes that connection to the next level with the mutations that occur depending on how you dismember your targets now... one thing that worries me is that if I start shooting out a Necromorphs legs, will they mutate into a Leaper? That scares the hell out of me cause Leapers tend to be the most dangerous Necromorphs out of them all, especially in Dead Space 2. One really interesting thing about the end of the demo is that that boss they called The Nexus looks like a more advanced or a different form of The Hivemind from the first Dead Space... very interesting.

I also liked that they made it a point to show both single and co-op and the differences they produce in the game. We've talked about this before in the thread and they finally showed it happening.

Oh, also, I like the way Isaac is looking in this game, he looks totally stressed out and the emotional and psychological affects of dealing with Necromorphs is really getting to him. Though at the same time, instead of like in the first two games where he's ended up being forced to endure each outbreak, in Dead Space 3 he's gone from hunted to hunter and is actively trying to stop both the EarthGov and the Unitologists from using the marker.

Of course, to complicate that, the only other person he trusts in the universe goes missing and he ends up being conflicted between his mission and making sure Ellie is okay... which makes the John Carver character much needed since Isaac will need an opposing force to try to keep him back on track to their primary objective. You can already see the tension between them and it makes me wonder how far they'll take it. Be interesting if suddenly your co-op partner becomes the target for a part during the game.

Finally, for anyone who's interested...

Isaac in Dead Space 1 (original model, early 40s looking, well fed, rested, a normal guy)

Isaac in Dead Space 2 (newer model based on Gunner Wright, Isaac's voice actor, looks more like he's in his early 30s, hairline change, underfed, tired, stressed, stubble, generally unhappy)

Isaac in Dead Space 3 (using Gunner Wrights face as a base again, hair grown out, bearded, even more tired, even more stressed, generally looks like he's sick of this **** but has no choice, not that he did in the first place)

For the Dead Space 3 model, I kind of see it going back and taking some subtle cues from the original model and combining it with the elements on the Gunner Wright based one from Dead Space 2.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #19
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

There was an Isaac face in Dead Space 1? I don't ever recall seeing it...

Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #20
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

The only two times you were ever able to was at the very start of DS1 and at the very end.

View page
YouTube Video

(spoiler vid for those who STILL haven't played...)
View page
YouTube Video

Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

New stuff highlighting some of the solo play rather than co-op/partner. Looks eerily like a return to old school DS1.

Can't. Freaking. Wait.

View page
YouTube Video

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Yeah, the beginning is reminiscent of DS2 while the second part is more along the lines of DS1. Can't wait to play DS3

Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Hang on... Demo?

I do hope they release that soon...

My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #24
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

View page
YouTube Video

ASJKLS;ASLKJFWASDFNVASKJF;H

...that Xbox ad at the end sounds so stupid. >.>

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #25
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

I'm kinda looking forward to getting my Pre-ordered Limited Edition in the mail...

The Demo was kinda fun as well...

Being able to make your own guns was very nice as it allows you to match your guns to your playstyle...

Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #26
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Oh nice, they've gone for a "live-action" with gameplay stuff trailer this time around.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #27
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

DS3 to have 11 DLC's on release date.

ಠ_ಠ

This, on top of in game micro-transactions? Flippin' a (Or should I say "flippin *e*a?").

Though I must say that I'm happy to disregard the micro-transactions if they're not gameplay impeding ones, like in free-to-play mobile games. If they're not, then that's another story.

But these day-one-DLC's? That's just ridiculous.

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #28
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

*sighs*

So... people are going to see me as some brainless defender of the game just because I like it... but I have to say something.

Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2 had a tonne of day 1 DLC as well. All of it being optional stuff that was basically just different suit skins and weapon packs that had different skins too. Some of these suits tended to be more powerful than the variant you'd start off with and this was all fine. It was all optional stuff... in the 90s you'd find these kind of things as unlockables depending on what you achieved in the game like finishing it on hard mode or whatever.

NONE of this should be a surprise to anyone who looks at Dead Space 3 since they have been on the first two games to start off with.

Now, on to the micro-transactions that everyone dreads. The microtransactions are actually listed among the 11 sets of DLC that are being listed. They are NOT a separate thing as jigos is trying to make it seem.

Here's the list to clarify...

- Bot Capacity Upgrade - $4.99 (UPGRADE)
- Bot Personality Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)
- First Contact Pack - Free (For folks who pre-order the game I believe) (UPGRADE/SKIN)
- Marauder Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)
- Sharpshooter Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)
- Tundra Recon Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)
- Witness the Truth Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)
- Bot Accelerator - $4.99 (UPRADE)
- Epic Weapon & Resource Pack - $2.99 (WEAPON SCHEMATICS + MICROTRANSACTION)
- Online Pass - $9.99 (THE USUAL BULL**** TO GET MONEY OUT OF FOLKS WHO BUY SECOND HAND)
- Ultra Weapon & Resource Pack - $1.99 (WEAPON SCHEMATICS + MICROTRANSACTION)
- Resource Pack - $0.99 (MICROTRANSACTION)

Now, I HATE DLC. I hardly ever buy into it at all. I've never bought any of the skins for previous Dead Space games and I'm not going to start now... I'm certainly not going to buy the micro-transaction stuff either because it just gives you STUFF YOU CAN ALREADY GET IN THE GAME. It just gives it to you without you putting any effort into the game. It's a pay if you're lazy option. If you play the game normally and get the resources, you can still make everything that the weapon crafting system has to offer WITHOUT spending any real money.

So yeah... it's all stupid, it's nothing new and if you don't like it, don't buy it.

I'm perfectly happy for them to add it to the game to get free money from the idiots who do buy it because I know that it doesn't actually take away anything from the actual game. The folks at Visceral assured people that that was the case and I choose to believe them... of course, if I play the game and find out otherwise, I'll come back in here and rip Visceral and the game a new one for it. But until then, I'm going with the facts presented.

tl;dr Ya'll blowing it out of proportion (at least everyone on the net that I've seen expressing an opinion about it seems to be), it's all optional, you don't need to buy any of this stuff to get 100% out of the game. It's just a pay if you're lazy option.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #29
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:

Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2 had a tonne of day 1 DLC as well.
Just because it's been done before doesn't make it any less dumb.

Quote:
NONE of this should be a surprise to anyone who looks at Dead Space 3 since they have been on the first two games to start off with.
Not expressing surprise; just disapproval. I fully expected something like this to happen, as you imply, given the franchise's track record.
Quote:
Now, on to the micro-transactions that everyone dreads. The microtransactions are actually listed among the 11 sets of DLC that are being listed. They are NOT a separate thing as jigos is trying to make it seem.
I should have paid more attention - it seems there are 7 day one DLC's, not 11.
Still 6 more than what would be acceptable. (I don't mind the purchase method DLC's [i.e. special content you get for acquiring the game through different avenues] or the game crossover DLC's [eg, the N7 suit for people who also have Mass Effect 3]. But these pure DLC's? There's no reason that shouldn't be in the game).

But as you say, the devs have full rights to go this way; it's take it or leave it for the consumers.

Quote:
tl;dr Ya'll blowing it out of proportion (at least everyone on the net that I've seen expressing an opinion about it seems to be)
It seems you're imposing other peoples' exaggerated sentiments onto my post.

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #30
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I apologise for nothing. People need to be told and if I had to use your post to do it, so be it.

But to explain what the general thing I've been seeing people say around the place, here, skype chat, other forums, herp dero... basically everything Visceral is apparently doing is new to the series and ruining it from its original roots even though, as I've said before, none of this stuff is new and people end up glorifying the original Dead Space as if it was this pure thing. Some folks go as far as saying that Dead Space was real survival horror while 2 and 3 aren't... even though Dead Space is inspired by Resident Evil 4 which wasn't really survival horror (in the oldskool way) to begin with and was very action based, Dead Space continued that in space and Dead Space 2 and 3 simply use the hardware to create more dynamic set pieces but still have the general feel of the original game.

Folks also complained about the demo, saying it was too action dudebro when other people kept on saying "it's a demo of environment pieces cut together, it's not how the final game will be, the demo's for Dead Space 1 and 2 did the same thing" but these asshats are all like "no, Dead Space is ruined forever man"

Then today I've seen posts of people who have gotten their hands on the game and now they're all relieved that the game doesn't actually have any of the bull**** things they thought it would have and people are realising that they've just been complaining over nothing this entire time.

Seriously, the amount of complaining I've seen about the game is so stupid. I mean, the marketing for the game was stupid cause 99% of it was based on attracting a new audience with a few occasional places where folks at Visceral are like "don't worry, we've made sure that existing fans of Dead Space will still get what they want out of the game too, relax, we're just trying to get more people to play the game" but everyone is all like "nah, man, you have to market to ME cause only I matter and even though I'll still buy the game, you have to market to ME ONLY"...

*looks around* whatever. *goes back to playing video games*

Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #31
Dread Advocate

Quote:
Lynk's wall of text
Sounds like every successful franchise that tries to draw in a new audience and its fans.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #32
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

true, beanlord. It's worse when a franchise does it successfully too, in a way that gets the new folks but still gives the established folks exactly what they expect from the game too.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
Dread Advocate

And even if it does amazing, there will still be those dozen or so obnoxiously vocal whiners who complain about the tiniest little things. They sometimes make me ashamed to be a member of the respective fandom.

Last edited by Dread Advocate; 02-04-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #34
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Got DS3 in the mail earlier today... ))

One of the first things i noticed was that if you play ME3 you get the N7 suit... )))

Btw, the N7 suit looks *nice*... )))

So far, i have no complaints about the game...

Edit:
Show spoiler

Last edited by Darth Payne; 02-06-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #35
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Finished it last night.
Show spoiler

Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #36
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Crash landed and am making my way through the snow trying not to freeze to death at the moment.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #37
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Just learned of something pretty cool during my replay of DS3...

Show spoiler

Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #38
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Just finished the game myself. I guess I've got mixed feelings on it as a whole. One of the biggest problems for me was the beginning, or rather how Isaac's story in DS3 started. It was completely actiony with practically zero horror involved. The space wrecks orbiting Tau Volantis were only a slight improvement and I can honestly say that when I ran into the Regenerators again I was "Well, how original, run from two Regenerators instead of just one!" rather than "Oh, crap!". I was, however, surprised by the complete absence of Infectors. Tau Volantis itself was a big improvement in atmosphere and the horror feel, but it was still nowhere near as scary as DS2, let alone DS1. DS3 definitely lost even more of that horror atmosphere, than DS2 did.

Story-wise, it's also a mixed bag, with quite a few inconsistencies.

Show spoiler

Overall, the game is OK. It's not the best horror game out there, or the best Dead Space game, but I'm far from calling it utter crap, although I do think there are some crappy things in it. Also, since I'm seeing ME3 comparisons - this game is definitely far above the level of crappy-ness that is Mass Effect 3, at least in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Payne View Post
Show spoiler
You need to let the end credits go through and you will hear
Show spoiler

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #39
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

So Isaac lives after all?

That is good news....

I wonder what Dead Space 4 is gonna be like...

Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #40
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
You need to let the end credits go through and you will hear
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Dead Space 3

Tags
clarke, dead, isaac, space