lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Improved HK-47 Model
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Darth_Tempust
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 98
Improved HK-47 Model

I felt it was time old HK-47 got an upgrade of his model.

The original:



WIP:



Areas updated so far:

head
left upperarm
right upperarm
right forearm
right knee
upper torso

Has been tested ingame and works perfectly, all animations play.
Darth_Tempust is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Sam Spain
Rookie
 
Sam Spain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 34
I'd be able to appreciate your improvements more with a wireframe or wireframe over shaded shots


Follow me on Twitter, it is your destiny.
Sam Spain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Darth_Tempust
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 98
Yeah those shots don't really show off the real differences.

Original:



Updated WIP:



I've made a seperate model that's lower poly than the textured model for HK's floor shadows to try and help with performance.

The original mesh is also used as the bones that has the 4000+ frames of animation. Rather than editing it and risking screwing up the animations, I've hooked my updated mesh to the bones and turned off their rendering.

Last edited by Darth_Tempust; 02-15-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Darth_Tempust is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...
 
Fallen Guardian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Unknown Regions
Posts: 1,286
Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Looking good. However I think non-droid heads and clothing/armor models better suited with an upgrade. Because while HK having a pointy model is not great, humans and aliens having pointy models is even worse. Just my two cents... but in any event, HK looks better. Nice work.


The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Darth_Tempust
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 98
I'm going to start on KOTOR II player choice heads next in which I will re-render the head textures into better UVWs. This will allow me to make the surface splitting (you need to do this in order to keep the UVWs from skewing along the UVW island edges) more strategic.

After that, (depending on my workload for freelancing & MB3) I'll start on making the best likeness to TOR's female Exile. I'll swap it with an existing head, so it should be compatible with RC mod.


Off Topic:

Does anyone have the updated nw export script for the latest KAurora which can compile lightmaps? The .zip in the thread doesn't have it.
Darth_Tempust is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Sam Spain
Rookie
 
Sam Spain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Guardian View Post
Looking good. However I think non-droid heads and clothing/armor models better suited with an upgrade. Because while HK having a pointy model is not great, humans and aliens having pointy models is even worse. Just my two cents... but in any event, HK looks better. Nice work.
I'm going to be working on that. I'm going to use the weekend to read up on the possibility on replacing the character body and head. I will be making a character model with weapons and armour anyway for my final major project for college which I thought could be the first step in making my idea for a mod for KoTOR. Only downside is I can't start modelling yet so all I can do is research and plan.

Also, great work. You cleaned up a lot of the geometry for the model which is awesome. Keep at it!


Follow me on Twitter, it is your destiny.

Last edited by Sam Spain; 02-15-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Sam Spain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Darth_Tempust
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 98
Thanks.

Updates at the moment include a better spine, that will now bend when moving.
Darth_Tempust is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...
 
Sithspecter's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ebon Hawk
Posts: 1,787
Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
I'm liking where this is going.



Sithspecter is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
redrob41
Veteran
 
redrob41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 941
Current Game: just modding TSL
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Tempust View Post
I've made a seperate model that's lower poly than the textured model for HK's floor shadows to try and help with performance.

The original mesh is also used as the bones that has the 4000+ frames of animation. Rather than editing it and risking screwing up the animations, I've hooked my updated mesh to the bones and turned off their rendering.
Wouldn't adding a mesh overtop of the bones hinder performance? You're basically doubling the number of polys (or in the case of making it smoother, it's more like 2.5x to 3x).

I think that if you just edited the bones, you wouldn't mess up the animations. I've edited a model for RoR (it's a secret character, so I'm not gonna post spoiler images), and I've added polys to both the mesh and the bones, with full animations included in the model. Mind you, I only added about 72 polys to the foot bones, just so the shadow would look right.

Maybe you could do a test of just the higher poly bones without the mesh attached, and see if the animations still work out?



- Major character artist for the Revenge of Revan mod. -
- List of Completed Mods - Work in Progress Thread - Skinning Tutorial -
redrob41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
Darth_Tempust
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrob41 View Post
Wouldn't adding a mesh overtop of the bones hinder performance? You're basically doubling the number of polys (or in the case of making it smoother, it's more like 2.5x to 3x).

I think that if you just edited the bones, you wouldn't mess up the animations. I've edited a model for RoR (it's a secret character, so I'm not gonna post spoiler images), and I've added polys to both the mesh and the bones, with full animations included in the model. Mind you, I only added about 72 polys to the foot bones, just so the shadow would look right.

Maybe you could do a test of just the higher poly bones without the mesh attached, and see if the animations still work out?
HK47's animations are in the one file with the model so while I could edit the bone mesh, I'd rather not just incase if somehow the improbable happens and it does stuff something up.

Having a seperate mesh will only cause performance issues if I have both the bones mesh & and the new mesh rendered which I've turned off the bone mesh rendering. It has a custom shadow model which is lower in quality than the stock HK47 model (but still gives good shadows) to also save on performance.


Just an FYI to everyone:

For models to render floor shadows you must have your mesh using the "trimesh modifer" as the "skin modifier" will just cause them not to render at all. Generally, models use their bones for floor shadows but I rather a custom shadow model.

Last edited by Darth_Tempust; 02-16-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Darth_Tempust is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Improved HK-47 Model

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.