lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Game of Thrones
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #41
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
After episode 9, Westeros will never be the same again. Keep watching, the Game of Thrones has only just begun!
Militades confirmed as HBO employee doing viral marketing.

The past 6 years has just been part of a plan to gain our trust. And he would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids! As well as accidentally talking like a press release.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #42
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Does that mean you're not going to watch? I'll get fired if everyone stops watching now!

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #43
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Well, just for you, then.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #44
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
The series is that good. I stopped watching it on the second ep, sure, but only because I went to pick up the books. I'm currently reading the second one and only now watching all the eps I missed and finally getting all the nuances of the plots and characters - and still the series manages to spoil a few things
spoiler:
like now I understand why Renly Baratheon's personal guard is called Rainbow ¬¬

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #45
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
PVRed this week's episode. Not that more stuff is happening it is much more interesting.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #46
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Just finished the first book. I shall be very interested to see how they do the final scene.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #47
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
What's up people! Where are those GoT fans? We're 5 episodes in of Season 2, I hope people haven't been tuning out because of all the new characters, because it's still as good as ever!

So, what does everyone think of Season 2 so far?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #48
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I like most of what's been shown so far. Although, having read all five books in the meantime, I do have minor issues with some "loose interpretations" by the TV show writers.

When it comes to new characters, I think they did a great job with the casting choice for Davos Seaworth, but Stannis could be better (I think the actor playing Stannis would have been much better in the role of Janos Slynt). Melisandre is OK, Balon Greyjoy is pretty much what I imagined and Salador San was surprisingly entertaining. Xaro Xoan Daxos might not be what I imagined, but I think the actor is doing a good job nonetheless.

Going back to the old characters - Arya is still awesome, as is Tyrion. I'm liking Varys more and more, so props to his actor as well.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #49
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Yep, I got completely the same thought on Stannis. Also, Yara (or Asha) is completely different from how I envisioned her, but she doesn't do a bad job either way.

Also credit to the guy playing Joffrey. As disgusting as his character is, the actor plays it to perfection. A lot has been said about the child-actors for a series this violent and all, but they're all doing an amazing job.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #50
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I fricken love this show. Great asthetics. I never read the books but I really dig the world. I like that it is low magic fantasy and we are only now seeing things that are clearly magic.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #51
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
I like most of what's been shown so far. Although, having read all five books in the meantime, I do have minor issues with some "loose interpretations" by the TV show writers.
Same. I know that Martyn is closely by the production team and is under every direction they choose to take, but I sincerely hope some of the choices the TV series seem to be taking (some are pretty radical changes) don't impact Martyn's two future. He wrote on A Dance with Dragons that he's already having some trouble keeping up with all the lore. Fortunately, he isn't getting short of dedicated fans and fangroups all around the world to help him out with the task anytime soon, but you got to admit it may be getting harder to wrap it all up.

Quote:
When it comes to new characters, I think they did a great job with the casting choice for Davos Seaworth, but Stannis could be better (I think the actor playing Stannis would have been much better in the role of Janos Slynt). Melisandre is OK, Balon Greyjoy is pretty much what I imagined and Salador San was surprisingly entertaining. Xaro Xoan Daxos might not be what I imagined, but I think the actor is doing a good job nonetheless.
Again, agreed on all accounts. I know that the actor DOES looks like Martyn description of Stannis, but I tend to create personal templates of them in my head depending of their personality. As "gaunt" as he is repeatedly described as, I kinda miss the "strong jaw" and... I'm not certain, an even more serious face. I don't know, no one but Davos and Melisandre and Davos's son and Stannis's squire were supposed to like him anyway, so if we don't think he's charismatic, he's on the right path.

The characters of old are still excelent, not so sure about some of Sansa's scene, but overrall great. The new characters are pretty good as well, special mentions for Ygritte, Davos (supreme, one of the most beloved characters on the books and now on the series as well, and the guy hasn't even read the books because he wants to discover his character as he goes but still managed to explain Davos-Stannis relationship in a paragraph in better ways than I could in a certain interview), Xaro, and Brienne, who definetly looks the part.

Of the recurring scenes I enjoy the most are two plain, but filled with sagacity and tension, conversations: Tyrion and the Spider on the Red Keep and Arya and Tywin, on Harrenhal - minor spoiler for A Clash of Kings below:
spoiler:
even though those last series of conversation never happened on the books. I wonder if for the TV they wanted to give both Arya and Tywin more screentime, seeing as they're both excellent.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #52
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
and Arya and Tywin, on Harrenhal
Best parts of the latest episodes.

I haven't read the books, but I was wondering if I should invest on Jaqen. Will he be a prominent character? He has become one of my favourites.

A man knows.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #53
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
I haven't read the books, but I was wondering if I should invest on Jaqen. Will he be a prominent character? He has become one of my favourites.

A man knows.
You may read that as I included an answer of sorts for your question and some sort of consolation prize if you don't like it.

Still a spoiler, though.
spoiler:
Not so far in the books. He doesn't show up much more, sadly, but his existence is ESSENTIAL for what Arya decides to do next. In a way, it's almost like she has many tutors through the story.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #54
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Hmm... Well, I shouldn't be surprised.

By the way what's the timespan between the first and the latest book?

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #55
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
From GoT to DwD, arguably 2~3 years. It's never too clear on the books, with some chapters picking up immediately after the last, or with months of interlude. Our best hint is probably the younger character's ages. Sansa, if I'm not mistaken, is 11 at GoT, and 13 by a certain point of SoS. There are more hints, but not many.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #56
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

So how did everyone experience the Blackwater episode? I thought it was one of the best episodes of the series so far, perhaps one of the best episodes on tv this year. Wildfire! Sadly, season 2 is already ending this week, how time flies...

A whole year to wait for Game of Thrones once more. Which may be even harder than before, because book 3... well, it's gonna rock on tv! Also, most of the characters people feared wouldn't show up in the show have been or will be cast for season 3 (the Reeds, Vargo Hoat, Blackfish and more), can't wait to see some of those very awesome characters.

Fingers crossed for an amazing end to season 2!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #57
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
King of the North!!

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #58
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

The Rains of Castamere! That was a pretty sweet episode. Dinklage was an excellent Tyrion as always.

Judging by the next episode's title, we'll get to see more Arya. Can't wait to see more of her storyline in the show.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #59
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I didn't like the last episode. Too much time spent on the battle, and no story development.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #60
igyman
Tension!

Tyrion was awesome, as always. And so was Bron. Davos had a relatively small apprearance, but I guess they might have left something for the last episode. Can't wait to see the resolution with Arya and H'Gar (one of the best minor characters in the second book, IMO).

Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #61
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I didn't like the last episode. Too much time spent on the battle, and no story development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
Tyrion was awesome, as always. And so was Bron. Davos had a relatively small apprearance, but I guess they might have left something for the last episode. Can't wait to see the resolution with Arya and H'Gar (one of the best minor characters in the second book, IMO).
Gotta agree on both accounts. But everyone's expectations were so high there was little chance of they reaching it.

I was actually a little disappointed with the battle, overall. The hack'n slashing was fine but I missed a certain green demon whipping the ships aflame on the Blackwater...

It also seems Tyrion might not
spoiler:
lose half his nose, judging from the blow he was dealt.
Let's see how he turns out next episode.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #62
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
View page
YouTube Video

That dragon shot looks great.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #63
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
And yes, Tyrion has that mighty scar on his face but the nose is still there.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #64
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Looking good. I hope they can transfer the madness that is book 3 to the small screen. I've been hyping my friends to no end about this season, so they better!

And yes, that dragon shot looks awesome. I've been a bit wary about the CGI-heavy elements and how succesful they'd be in getting those dragons/direwolves etc. right, but hell, they're doing a great job so far.

@CAD: they still need to be tv-pretty, I guess. I had hoped for more than just the scar myself, as that's how I've been envisioning Tyrion in the books all this time, but oh well.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #65
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
What I don't get about this whole series is why didn't Dumbledore tell Ned to summon the Enterprise and just fly the One Ring down the Death Star's thermal exhaust port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
@CAD: they still need to be tv-pretty, I guess.
That and I heard Peter Dinklage is pretty attached to his nose.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #66
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

Who else is going to have a Seasons 1 and 2 marathon before the end of March?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #67
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swphreak View Post
Who else is going to have a Seasons 1 and 2 marathon before the end of March?
Just did.

I picked up Season 2 as soon as it came out on Monday and had spent the weekend watching Season 1 now I'm up to date.

Really looking forward to Season 3... especially seeing The Hound's fight with well, you know... (wouldn't want to give away any spoilers).

Although that's not the only thing I want to see.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #68
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

I'm actually looking forward to Daenerys' storyline this season, what with the dragons and unsullied. And, of course, more Arya is always a good thing.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #69
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Daenerys.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #70
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
This series should have a "Don't invest on these characters" warning before every episode.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #71
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

It was quite difficult getting through that scene. There were so many arrows pointing to what would happen, and even though I haven't read the books, I was somewhat expecting/dreading it.

Needless to say, it was one of the most brutal things I've ever seen on a TV show.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #72
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanius Anglesmith View Post
There were so many arrows pointing to what would happen,
True, although we didn't know when or how it would happen, and if it would succeed.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #73
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Having read the books, this obviously came as no surprise, but hell was it hard to relive it once more. I'm missing something that was in the books and that made that particular event that more disturbing, but maybe we'll see it in what is in GoT the traditional "aftermath" season finale.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #74
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Everyone forgot the lesson we learned with Ned. No one is safe. And ****'s only just now kicking into gear. The game isn't done changing yet.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #75
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
This series should have a "Don't invest on these characters" warning before every episode.
I'm convinced that Martin is a bit of a sadist.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #76
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I recently bought season 1 and 2 on DVD. I really enjoyed the show, loved look and feel and just the quality put into this. Looking forward to what goes on in season 3. I've been eyeing the books; but have so far resisted to purchase them.

I want to watch the TV series first and then delve into the books. Like that I'll enjoy both much more ^_^

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #77
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
I'm not sure I agree, Quanon. Having read all the books (out so far) and following the series religiously, I find that the books were better, more engaging experiences. That said, the series isn't bad at all but it does spoils many of the surprises masterfully delivered on the books.

So while I don't know if watching the series first is the best option, I found great pleasure in reading the books and then watching how they'd do particular scenes on the series (and if they'd actually do those things on the TV, since some parts are seem too gruesome for TV audience).

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #78
igyman
Tension!

On the ninth episode - having read the books, what happened didn't come as a surprise at all. I guess the only surprise was that it happened in the ninth episode. I kind of thought they'd save it for the big season cliffhanger.

On account of books vs. the TV series - I find that the source material is always better than the adaptation. That said, this has mostly been a good adaptation of the books, although I don't quite understand the need for certain "artistic liberties" the show writers took, especially in this season, or the need to replace characters from the books with placeholders. It was bad enough they replaced Jeyne Westerling with Volantis-girl, but to replace a hilariously entertaining villain like Vargo Hoat with some random guy named Locke is something I just can't understand.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #79
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I loved Episode 9, but hated it all at the same time as the final scenes played out (though not quite as I'd imagined it in my head). But I'm a little upset they didn't bring the Greatjon back for his defiant last stand.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #80
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
But I'm a little upset they didn't bring the Greatjon back for his defiant last stand.
It seems they couldn't get him back for season 2, so I'm guessing they decided to leave him out of season 3 as well?

As for the books vs. TV discussion: I'm glad the TV series did some things differently. The main task is still to create great television, not copy-past the books. And some scenes that weren't in the books were some of the best in the show and some stuff that was abandoned for the TV show made the whole thing better. That being said, I slightly prefer the books still, because the scope is massive and because of its ambition, the books are able to do things a TV show just can't do.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Game of Thrones