lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: US Navy unveils new laser weapon system
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
US Navy unveils new laser weapon system

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...id=msnhp&pos=1

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Red Hessian

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Ah, yes. "Lasers".

Red Hessian is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
PEWPEW!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Pretty incredible mostly because it makes you think about what they're NOT showing us.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Pretty incredible mostly because it makes you think about what they're NOT showing us.
You'd be surprised, and not surprised at the same time.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Wow. Guess I've been vacant of LF lately...and I'm cruising Kavar's again (despite my distaste for it now) out of boredom. Lasers, one of my favorite subjects.

Yeah I've more or less known about this for awhile, as well as the 747 planes which have chemical excimer lasers mounted with an eye-like pivotal guiding aperture. The entire bottom hull/belly is dedicated to powering these monsters.

The predecessor of this was a ground-based laser turret made by TRW that was approximately about as large as 16 trailer homes. So either they have improved and compacted it, or that ship's quarters are mostly dedicated to the feeding and care for this weapon.

Laser weapons, as you all can see, are a reality. They aren't yet a feasible weapon for ground level folks, though. Part of the reason is they're still pretty poor and inefficient amplifiers as electronic standards go. Another reason, as you probably noticed, being they're just too damn big to be handheld and have such power as portrayed in sci-fi.

The inevitable questions pop up about Star Wars type weapons... As far as lightsabers go? I'm no physicist but I've heard from the experts and read in periodicals that optical energy alone does not have the intractivity required even in a beam of light to stop another beam of light on collision and intersection. Plus I'm of the opinion SW weapons tend to be more like plasma/particle beams albeit with some kind of base laser as a guiding channel through the atmosphere--same with blasters. I don't know how differently particle beam weapons IRL are constructed from cyclotrons and particle colliders, though. Hell, that'd probably be classified.

I'm going off what I heard from physics people and literature back in the days I was deluded into believing I was laser engineering material. And several afternoons of scouring the net for info.

Ok, maybe I also from several laser hobbyist sites out there.

The closest lasers to being handheld "weapons" I know of are:
-portable gas lasers (discharge tube)
-small solid state lasers
-semiconductor diode lasers
-diode 'pumped' solid state lasers (literally a diode laser driving a solid state laser crystal rod or slab)

These really aren't powerful enough yet to actually cause anywhere near the level of destruction that would make them suitable as weapons. Maybe as tools of sorts.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > US Navy unveils new laser weapon system