Thread: The Old Republic for Dummies
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #841
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

I wasn't going to preorder, because I don't even have a toon close to 50, but they told me it was only 10 bucks, and it was kind of like, meh what the heck.

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #842
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Not going to say I am crazy about all the changes with 2.0, but I love the Rise of the Hutt Cartel's missions so far. Level 54 1/2 and have died 4 times, two are normal for me, fell down big holes, knew that was going to happen the first time I saw pictures of Makeb. The other two were this morning trying to get a chest from 2 elites and a large mob of weaks. I got the chest, too stubborn not to.

While the missions have a lot of grinding type parts (kill 50 or this or that), not really bothered since I am leveling and the new achievements. Not sure about other classes, but the writing for the female smugglers lines have been great, if you haven't played a female smuggler, I HIGHLY recommend you play one, or team up with one (just be sure to lose all convos).

My guess is I am getting close to the end of Rise of the Hutt Cartel, which is sad since I have really enjoyed the story, the humor (smuggler) and the combat. Not sure if it was that my main was just so over geared to start or I am just that good (I know it was the gear), but I haven't had any difficult challenge yet, although I have not done the heroic 4+s since I don't want to get grouped as chance losing a conversation and missing a line. Kind of rude to team up and then refuse to continue with someone.

If you haven't purchase Rise of the Hutt Cartel I recommend it, however pay attention, there are areas where you will become flagged if you enter them. There is a warning.

Oh and Bremiaha kissed a girl, and she liked it.

mimartin is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #843
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
It's definitely fun. Makeb is an amazingly designed planet, with a lot of variety in the natural surroundings, some great architecture and glorious cliffs and you will fall down! (It actually reminds me of Guild Wars' last expansion, Eye of the North. It has a similar feel, esp. in the "jungle" areas of Makeb) I completed the story with my mercenary (and got to 55 in the process) and it's really been great. There are a few lovely scenes and the cutscenes on Makeb seem to have a bit more attention to detail than the vanilla game.

There are also two new questlines, one focused on using binoculars and one on seeker droids, that will see you traveling to pretty much every planet (a lot of which have gotten a new area or two in the process). While it's a fun idea, it's a bit stretched out and gets a little tedious after a while. The quests in between, which demand you to go in lairs and such, are great, though. Some (light) puzzles and some new area designs. Have gotten to the end, which are Heroic +4's and finding people to team up with at this stage seems difficult.

Also did one of the "new" HM Flashpoints. If the others are similar to Athiss, then don't expect major changes to their SM counterparts. I did Athiss with mostly campaign armor (with a few level 66 pieces) and only died at the end because I couldn't evade the fire thingies.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #844
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

I've been subscribing for a while and was wondering how many cartel coins it would take to unlock everything that I already have access to and no longer subscribe? Also, which purchases would do that, if possible?

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #845
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

You will loose stuff, some stuff cannot be unlocked (qt time for example, or moneylimit).
As for CC costs, it depends, on how much you buy for creds of the GTN instead...
Hassat Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #846
Eefluxx

So a proud mooment for me anyways, my lvl 45 Sent (at the time) Ahrika needed the epic enemy codex for Taris which is Subject Alpha.

I went to Taris knowing I couldn't pull off the feat I did with my lvl 38 Commando at the time and began asking if anyone needed the World Boss.

I saw that their were several 50's and up on Taris yet none of them responded to my call. What I wound up with was one lvl 30 Sent and lvl 26 Sage healer and a bunch of lvl 18's to 21's of variouse classes. Our tank was only lvl 21 and another tank lvl 20.

One person asked if anyone could share the weekly and noone had it so she went to fleet to get it while we waited on everyone to get there.

The lvl 30 Sent was getting antsy about starting and like any good Ops leader I told him we were waiting on the person who went to get the weekly. Well they couldn't find the weekly and I said if anyone wants to drop out they can since there was no weekly to share. Everyone still wanted to try even tho we were a bunch of underleveled players.

Well the person who left finally got back and we started. I was so proud of them not one single person died and noone argued over loot. Was a great group of scrubs that joined me for that.

So storytime aside I do have a question.

What was the reason behind making Section X level 52 but not raising anything in it to level 52? I went today and everything was still the same as it always had been.

Feel Free To Disagree.....Most People Do Anyways
Eefluxx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #847
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
So is anyone else having latency issues on Harbinger? I just logged in today to try out my Trooper after the update and its been naught unplayable...

Granted I am playing from Europe though.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #848
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
So is anyone else having latency issues on Harbinger? I just logged in today to try out my Trooper after the update and its been naught unplayable...

Granted I am playing from Europe though.
I've had latency issues today as well, but not sure if it's the server or the internet connection.

Playing from Europe shouldn't be the problem. I get between 170ms and 220ms with a good internet connection, which is fine for PvE (and I've done PvP with these numbers, in fact).

Edit: Looking into the official forums, however, it does seem like The Harbinger has lag and latency issues.

Last edited by Miltiades; 04-24-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #849
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eefluxx View Post
What was the reason behind making Section X level 52 but not raising anything in it to level 52? I went today and everything was still the same as it always had been.
No clue, I didn't even know that made it 52. I've been running it on 50s to level up.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #850
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
I've had latency issues today as well, but not sure if it's the server or the internet connection.

Playing from Europe shouldn't be the problem. I get between 170ms and 220ms with a good internet connection, which is fine for PvE (and I've done PvP with these numbers, in fact).

Edit: Looking into the official forums, however, it does seem like The Harbinger has lag and latency issues.
So, it seems my latency issues have been magically rectified once I subscribed again for a month lol.

Have to say I'm really enjoying Hoth so far... the last planet (Quesh?) was probably the worst one I've encountered yet.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #851
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Heh, you might be in the minority on that one. Maybe it's just after doing Hoth for the umpteenth time, but it really gets old after a while. Ask mim. I don't mind Quesh, it's nothing special but it's short.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #852
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
And sadly, that was the best thing about Quesh. The lag is noticeable in some place more than others (Fleet by GTN terminals esp). Tend to deal w/around 117-120ms myself.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #853
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
lol, complaining about 117-120ms.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #854
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Wasn't complaining, just citing a number. Fortunate not to have >150 except on rare occasions. quit being an ass, lynk.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #855
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
lol, complaining about me making fun of you when I wasn't.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #856
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

you protesting you weren't making fun of someone's perceived complaint about mild lag rates.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #857
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Exactly.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #858
Eefluxx

So I tried my first lvl 55 HMFP, was Mando Raiders.

I was on my commando who is the best geared and the healer. After the 3rd wipe I politely dropped out saying hopefully you guys can find a better healer than me.

I wasn't geared high enough for this I figured out the hard way. Noone tried to tell me before we started even tho I said this is my first time doing one of these. Got no words of encouragement or even one of them telling me I wasn't geared for it.

Instead I got chewed out by the slinger dps while the guardian tank and vangaurd dps said nothing. It was after the slinger said are you even trying to heal and wow thanks after he died that I decided to drop out. Noone tried to keep the adds off of me so when the dogs were knocking me around everywhere breaking my heals they just stayed on the boss.

Needless to say I was bummed out and discouraged and changed my healer spec back to dps. Same thing happend to me when I first got my tionese gear and thought I could heal Kaon Under Siege HM. At least that group was nice and even said the problem was I was undergeared for it to try it again after I got a little bit better gear.

But anyways thats my sad story for the weekend lol

Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #859
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

The new 55 HMFP are a pain. We wiped a few time even on guild runs with me healing and I was in full 63 gear. In my opinion SM TfB and the first 4 bosses of SM S&V are easier to heal than the HM 55 FPs.

Also if they were attacking the boss instead of the adds, then the failure is DPS, not yours. Before I got a little 69 gear, I was only doing these with people in our guild and they all know kill order and to keep stuff off the healer, not saying I don’t get touched, but when they see a healers health dropping they come running.

I love healing, I take responsibly, deserved or not, for every wipe no matter what role I am playing, so healer is right up my alley, but in reality group content is group content. Usually a wipe involves more than one factor that caused the group to fail. By the sound of it, you may have been a little undergeared and unsure of all the mechanics, compound that with DPS with gold fever instead of following proper kill order and that spells a wipe.

You’re talking about The Beast of Vodal Kressh? Yeah, the adds should be tanked and killed before the boss. So you did not fail beyond you were not so overgeared to make up for idiots that have no clue how to play group content.

My suggestion 2 fold 1). Read Dulfy walkthrough on the 4 new HM 55 flashpoints and 2) make your first run through with people in your guild (if you are in a guild) or with friends. http://dulfy.net/category/swtor/

Last edited by mimartin; 05-01-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #860
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Eh, that's the price to pay for pick-up-groups... you end up getting asshats once in a while.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #861
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
That's why I love being all around DPS, you get to chill in the background.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #862
Eefluxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I love healing, I take responsibly, deserved or not, for every wipe no matter what role I am playing, so healer is right up my alley

You’re talking about The Beast of Vodal Kressh? Yeah, the adds should be tanked and killed before the boss. So you did not fail beyond you were not so overgeared to make up for idiots that have no clue how to play group content.

My suggestion 2 fold 1). Read Dulfy walkthrough on the 4 new HM 55 flashpoints and 2) make your first run through with people in your guild (if you are in a guild) or with friends. http://dulfy.net/category/swtor/
I am the same way, I will take responsibilty for a wipe even if I think something is not my fault. And it was the first boss in Mando Raiders, the guy with the 2 Akk dogs.

As for guild I dropped out of my guild a while back when I realized they were more pvp oriented than OP oriented. My usual running buddy I do these things with is having computer issues so I am running solo right now trying to do what I can.

I will read the dulfy bit. thanks for the link.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #863
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Hey Eefluxx don't feel bad, our guild master and the 2nd best player I know, not going to say who I consider the best, Mav may be a big head, anyways Seijin got in a random group last night with a tank in dps gear and ended up quitting the group. Even he couldn't outheal the content to make up for idiots.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #864
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
So, I'm having this issue:

I'm doing the last Commando class quest line on Hoth, and my companion (Elara) can't seem to cross the invisible wall she seems to see. What do? I've tried un-summoning / summoning and completely resetting the quest to no avail. Really, really irritating since It's the last one before I leave the planet.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #865
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Wow, that's a new one... tried making her attack something and then make her follow or make her use one of her healing abilities? Does it happen with other companions as well?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #866
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Yeah I tried doing that too but she still stays put, which made me have to back up to her so I could get healed.

And yes all the other companions are affected as well... we'll see what the GM's have to say about it when I log in.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #867
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

I've had this issue on Makeb during one of the Weekly missions. At the last room I had to defeat an elite, but Mako didn't want to enter the room. Same with HK-51. I had to back up as well for them to be useful. I did it again yesterday and didn't have that problem anymore (used Torian). Either they fixed it or I did something different, I have no clue.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #868
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Dismiss go into the room, then call her...At least that is how I got it to work.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #869
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

Not that far along with the trooper, but did have that with a staircase and boss at the Consular story.
Dismiss and recall did work, and made me kill the boss, instead of the boss kill me first time when I suddenly was tankless.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #870
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Dismiss go into the room, then call her...At least that is how I got it to work.
I tried that today, and she actually appears right outside the edge of where the door formerly was.

Out of ideas at this point to be honest... if I don't get it to work somehow I'll have to abandon my Commando and just start leveling my Sniper on the EU side.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #871
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

To hell with abandoning, put in a ticket...then work on sniper until they get that fixed.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #872
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Or ask someone to help out?

Old 05-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #873
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
To hell with abandoning, put in a ticket...then work on sniper until they get that fixed.
I did that a long time ago, and no response. Back in my World of Warcraft days it took mere minutes for a GM to answer....

Quote:
Or ask someone to help out?
Like?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #874
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

Just ask in the area for assistance, highlight the mission. Maybe add why too, since most times I saw people do that rude people respond with "you should be able to do these missions yourself, noob"...
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #875
Eefluxx

So I finished Makeb with my gunslinger and ran the staged weekly and some of the dailies. Mob after mob after mob.

My Commando still needs to finish Makeb and I need to start with my other toons.

But gearwise I have noticed my cybertech can make the 28 gear. Yet the mods you get from the gear in the basic comms are different. IE you can get Adept mod 28 but your cyber only gets a schem for 28A which is more towards you main stat and less for power or crit. (I can't remember which it is for Adept off the top of head).

It seems the gear you get with the basic comms is more towards endurance than main stat. Should I still be stacking main stat above everything else even if it means sacrificing power and crit.

Like for my sorc I made a bunch of resolve armor 28's purple and the 2 mods that give you power or crit but the mods you get from the basic gear vendor when you buy the gear give you less willpower by like 20 but more power or crit by like 20.

Would it be better to use the mods they give you instead of swapping out and using augments to replace the willpower you could have gotten?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #876
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
Like?
I'm always willing to help, as I'm sure many in the guild are. Or as Hassat pointed out, asking in the area might get you the help, especially if you explain why (maybe someone there might know the solution as well).

@Eefluxx: Seijin (TWC's GM) pretty much laid it out nice and simple on our forum, I'm sure he won't mind me quoting him here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijin
For just about every DPS spec, it seems as if the best way to maximize your damage is to gear according to the following rules:

Always take Power over Critical Rating.
Always you the unlettered Mod as this contains the most total Main Stat + Power.
Always Augment with Main Stat augments.
Get Accuracy to 110% (for Force/Tech attacks) and then stack Surge after that. Alacrity also extremely shallow, especially relative to Surge and Accuracy is way better than both of them.

From what I have seen with parse data is that full power has about a 5% edge in DPS over crit/power.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #877
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
As SWTOR is my first MMO I have to say that I've found the end game gearing riddle rather annoying. From what I've seen in general chat it sounds like other MMO's have had similar issues. As I'm gearing with Black Market drops from 55 HM FP's and items purchased from the elite comms vendor I find the Black Market (Boltblaster) gear for my DPS commando to be very lacking in accuracy and high in crit. I just don't understand why it is left to the players to figure out how to best gear their toon.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #878
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Yeah, not a lot of people are happy with the way things are right now in terms of endgame gearing.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #879
Eefluxx

Quote:
@Eefluxx: Seijin (TWC's GM) pretty much laid it out nice and simple on our forum, I'm sure he won't mind me quoting him here:
Yeh but my Sorc is a healer not dps

I just read the updated version for the seer tho from the TWC site.

Currently my sorc has 330 crit and around 450 surge with about 450 power but from theupdated version he says to get crit to around 200 or below and stack power now so I pretty much have my answer for a straight healer and non dps.

However what you said does help me on my slinger, commando and sniper.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #880
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Like?
Like milt wrote, catch me online I will come...my Sage is underleveled for it, but I have 4 55s that can help, you would get much/any xp, but you would get past it.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > The Old Republic for Dummies