lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #1881
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Just out of curiosity....is there a video that's not really long (<10 mins tops) that synopsizes IT? Most of ones I've seen in past go on far too long to bother sitting thru. I realize that the basic premise is that a lot of events in games are a giant mind**** of sorts. But if IT is essentially that you spend 3 games or frankly even one, playing out a dream, essentially, I can't say it sounds much more interesting that what we got (even including the last 10 min.....w/or w/o EC).

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #1882
HED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Just out of curiosity....is there a video that's not really long (<10 mins tops) that synopsizes IT? Most of ones I've seen in past go on far too long to bother sitting thru. I realize that the basic premise is that a lot of events in games are a giant mind**** of sorts. But if IT is essentially that you spend 3 games or frankly even one, playing out a dream, essentially, I can't say it sounds much more interesting that what we got (even including the last 10 min.....w/or w/o EC).
I believe the central part of the IT is that Shepard is fighting Indoctrination for most of ME3 (evidenced by the dream sequences) but doesn't succumb to it until Harbinger attacks him at the Conduit (explaining the dream-like qualities of the sequences that follow). Hence a hypothetical DLC following up on the Indoctrination Theory would've been able to, hypothetically, provide a new ending without undermining the vast major of time put into the game beforehand.

"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #1883
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
Oh, by the way, that is how you improve the ending.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but in my book you don't fix zany plot elements by adding in even more zany elements, especially when they amount to "it was all a dream".
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #1884
HED
Rookie

I don't know if at this point "it was all a dream" is really considered "zany" anymore. Its a pretty standard thing to play with, even if just as a fakeout or something. Plenty cheap, of course, but there's nothing inherently wrong with using something cheap to allow you to build something richer.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #1885
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Sure, it has its uses, especially as a piss-take. But when it is played straight, as in IT, it's pretty lame. Might as well end with "rocks fall, everybody dies".
Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #1886
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
I get it DP. Yet I strongly feel anything would have been better than the crap we were left with.

Anyways... I will be playing MP this weekend if anyone wants some easy credits

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #1887
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
I thought the IT was a set up for the real ending in which Sheppard and the others fight back the reapers, assuming you had gotten all your allies issues resolved. There's more, but for the purposes of brevity, "Everyone lives happily ever after"

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #1888
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
I loathe the whole "It was all a dream" trope, but I think I would've made an exception for the Indoctrination Theory.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #1889
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
I get it DP. Yet I strongly feel anything would have been better than the crap we were left with.
I guess that is the core of my problem with the IT theory. You'll get no argument from me that the original ending (in either vanilla or EC flavours) was dire, but I don't see the IT theory as an improvement.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #1890
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Ok, that is fair enough. I prefered IT to what we got (EC was a weak handy) as it pointed in a direction that gave me a palatable ending.

I never saw IT saying that the entire events of ME3 SP were a indoctrinated hallucination, but that the Star Brat dreams certainly were.

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #1891
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Never really thought of the dreams as anything other than an expression of the anxiety Shep was experiencing throughout the game.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 11-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #1892
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
I've been making my way through the Trilogy edition for a few weeks now. Just finished ME2 (fantastic game, btw) and I plan to start 3 tomorrow afternoon. The Trilogy version includes an online pass and the Extended Cut. Am I missing out on anything tremendous or game altering without any of the actual DLCs? I'm a bit strapped for cash these days, but could probably afford maybe two of them if I needed to. Keeping in mind that I'm more worried about story than extra guns or armours.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #1893
DuckfromPortal
Rookie

Current Game: TSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
I've been making my way through the Trilogy edition for a few weeks now. Just finished ME2 (fantastic game, btw) and I plan to start 3 tomorrow afternoon. The Trilogy version includes an online pass and the Extended Cut. Am I missing out on anything tremendous or game altering without any of the actual DLCs? I'm a bit strapped for cash these days, but could probably afford maybe two of them if I needed to. Keeping in mind that I'm more worried about story than extra guns or armours.
No, I played with no multiplayer and only the leviathan dlc (and extended cut but i do count that) and I felt it wasn't missing any or thought that anything could make it better

Quack
DuckfromPortal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #1894
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Don't waste a dime on the DLC. Aside from taking you away from the main story for a couple of hours, it literally has no impact on the final ending (thought not much does).

Best of luck, and I hope the ending treats you better than it's treated me.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #1895
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

If you were going to get any DLC at all (not incl EC), I'd say Leviathan and From Ashes b/c they flesh out "the past" more. That said, they don't change the RGB ending a lick, so really aren't essential to figuring out the overall story. Haven't played Citadel, but hear it's nothing more than a complete distraction from the overall story (albeit a fun one, apparently). Frankly, outside of maybe adding crewmates, none of the DLC in any of the 3 games is really essential to the plotline.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #1896
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If you are keen to see the DLC, and still have the stomach for additional playthroughs after your first one, I'd probably hold off until you can pick them up cheap in a sale. There is bound to be one over Xmas/New Year.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #1897
Zero G Cookie
Lurker

Current Game: I am playing life
I am back from the darkness and I decree that I have little interest in the DLC myself

If I have 2 friends or more I know I'm in a dream
Zero G Cookie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #1898
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
If you were going to get any DLC at all (not incl EC), I'd say Leviathan and From Ashes b/c they flesh out "the past" more. That said, they don't change the RGB ending a lick, so really aren't essential to figuring out the overall story. Haven't played Citadel, but hear it's nothing more than a complete distraction from the overall story (albeit a fun one, apparently). Frankly, outside of maybe adding crewmates, none of the DLC in any of the 3 games is really essential to the plotline.
From Ashes and Leviathan were the two that piqued my interest on the wiki, yeah. Maybe I'll be able to catch them in a Steam Sale of some kind in the next few weeks.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #1899
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Saw this over on Reddit. Gave me a laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshBarbaricFlush
ME3's ending predicted in advance

Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #1900
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
So a little over a week ago, I downloaded all of the story DLC for all three Mass Effect games and then started a non-stop (aside from eating and sleeping) marathon of Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3...

...I know I said I wouldn't go back to Mass Effect and that the ending for Mass Effect 3 didn't motivate me at all to go back to playing the entire trilogy over again, and I still stand by that. My reasoning for playing the trilogy over again was because I really want to give these three games and the series as a whole, every possible chance. It deserves that much, even though it has many flaws. I felt like I needed to go back and see just what was great about the series and what made it not so great and what was just down right stupid.

After over 120 hours (ME1 = 30+ hours, ME2 = 40+ hours, ME3 = 50+ hours) of straight gameplay through all three games, completing 100% of the content including all of the story DLC content, we're talking EVERYTHING. For the most part, I did exactly what I did in my initial runthrough of the trilogy when I played each game for the first time... well, aside from making sure I actually saved the SR2 crew and didn't forget to save Jack in ME3 because I didn't realise that some of the missions were timed. But for the most part, it was the exact same Shepard I created when I first played ME1, just a second chance to do all of the things.

At the end, after that 120 hours... I felt emotionally exhausted after all that I had been through. Did my opinion of the trilogy change after this second runthrough of the trilogy? Not really. In fact, it just cemented all of the things I've said about the trilogy... but at the same time, reminded me of all of the reasons why I love Mass Effect and why the bad things about the trilogy disappoint me so much.

I'm planning to write a series of 4 articles for my site, one for each game and then a trilogy retrospective... but yeah, I'm glad I went through the trilogy again and didn't simply abandon it as I said despite it leaving me emotionally exhausted at the end in not such a good way...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #1901
DuckfromPortal
Rookie

Current Game: TSL
You know, i love mass effect, but, its not a game i ever want to play again (other than mass effect 1 and 2) I hated the third ones shift from single player glory to multiplayer essentialness. I disliked the space scanning and the planet stuff, I disliked the ending, I disliked so much without liking stuff that I could cover up with things I liked. It seemed so empty and sad, a husk of what it could have been, I've only played leviathan though, I'm probably going to do another complete run with everything even if i don't want to play it anymore

Quack
DuckfromPortal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #1902
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I know I said I wouldn't go back to Mass Effect
Bioware fans have the gaming equivalent of battered wife syndrome. They always come back eventually.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 AM   #1903
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Bioware fans have the gaming equivalent of battered wife syndrome. They always come back eventually.
This is very true, as I have also just bought the DLC for the games and started another playthrough.

Still laughed in that "ooft, how offensive" kinda way at your statement though. Bravo!

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #1904
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
Quote:
Really, any of the most devoted fans for any franchise or company are guilty of this. Bioware, Blizzard, Star Wars, you name it.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #1905
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Still laughed in that "ooft, how offensive" kinda way at your statement though. Bravo!
It wasn't done without a hard look in the mirror. I just finished another playthrough of Dragon Age 2. I should probably consult a medical professional.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #1906
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
Really, any of the most devoted fans for any franchise or company are guilty of this. Bioware, Blizzard, Star Wars, you name it.
Three words:

World of Warcraft.

@DP, who I have laughed at for like 10 minutes out of schoolboy immaturity just because of the initials;
Dragon Age 2, and Mass Effect 3 at that just seem like games that are cool to hate, but I like both. They are certainly flawed, especially DA2, but I still liked both games.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #1907
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Whether or not it is cool to hate, both DA2 and ME3 are undeniably flawed games. That doesn't mean you can't like them of course, but I think a good deal of the flak they cop is warranted. Playing DA2 again, you really have to wonder how some of that stuff ever got off the white board, how a room full of developers with experience spanning back a decade or more could look at certain ideas and go "yes, that is something we should include". It's even more puzzling that in the wake of DA2, and all the backlash it generated, that they then proceeded to develop ME3 and make some of the same mistakes again. Granted the two games were made by different development teams, but both teams were at the same studio, Edmonton, under the same middle management, and had a good deal of interplay with each other (and it's not like DA2 was some secret nobody knew about).

Last edited by DarthParametric; 01-24-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:11 AM   #1908
urluckyday

Quote:
Whether or not it is cool to hate, both DA2 and ME3 are undeniably flawed games. That doesn't mean you can't like them of course, but I think a good deal of the flak they cop is warranted. Playing DA2 again, you really have to wonder how some of that stuff ever got off the white board, how a room full of developers with experience spanning back a decade or more could look at certain ideas and go "yes, that is something we should include". It's even more puzzling that in the wake of DA2, and all the backlash it generated, that they then proceeded to develop ME3 and make some of the same mistakes again. Granted the two games were made by different development teams, but both teams were at the same studio, Edmonton, under the same middle management, and had a good deal of interplay with each other (and it's not like DA2 was some secret nobody knew about).
It's amazing what EA can do to quality titles...

Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 AM   #1909
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's easy to blame EA. I also think it's incorrect. We'll probably never know exactly how much blame to apportion to EA for certain decisions, but I'm pretty sure it's much. much less than the "all of it" that most people seem to favour.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:34 AM   #1910
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
While many people are vocal about it, including myself, Mass Effect 3 isn't all bad. It's still an enjoyable game for the most part despite all of its shortcomings... just be glad it's not a COMPLETE train wreck like Resident Evil 6.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #1911
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
Side note: This thread NEEDS spoiler tags -_-.

On point: I really don't see why people bitch so much about the mass effect series. If you look at the huge jumps between each game Bioware really did do a good job at improving the game, for example the combat system in the first one compared to the second one . The ending of the third game wasn't as emotionally on par as the other two games and that's why people complain, but really looking at the gaming market as a whole it was more than a decent ending IMO.

-SupremeKotor

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #1912
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme kotor View Post
Side note: This thread NEEDS spoiler tags -_-.

On point: I really don't see why people bitch so much about the mass effect series. If you look at the huge jumps between each game Bioware really did do a good job at improving the game, for example the combat system in the first one compared to the second one . The ending of the third game wasn't as emotionally on par as the other two games and that's why people complain, but really looking at the gaming market as a whole it was more than a decent ending IMO.

-SupremeKotor
It's one of those things where I, like a ton of people who bought the game, played Mass Effect because of the story. The combat was always a secondary thing for me...I enjoyed the dialogue and story sequences MUCH more than I cared about the combat. And they screwed that up horribly in the end. That's why I'm so bitter about it. Good combat or not, they screwed up the story and that was the best part of the game for me.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #1913
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ supreme kotor: I agree that the combat gameplay was greatly improved in a lot of areas, but that doesn't mean that they didn't sacrifice other parts of the game that are just as important if not more to achieve it.

As for the ending, it's a good ending if it were a movie or if it were any other game that was linear and your actions in the game were just getting from point a to point b so you can see the cutscene... but for a game where your choices are meant to make a difference, it's a TERRIBLE ending to have.

So if you think of the Mass Effect trilogy as a linear straight line game like every other game, it isn't bad. The RPG stuff was there just for the illusion of choice and BioWare lied through their teeth to all of the fans who enjoyed the RPG aspect of the game over the shootbangs.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #1914
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
So if you think of the Mass Effect trilogy as a linear straight line game like every other game, it isn't bad. The RPG stuff was there just for the illusion of choice and BioWare lied through their teeth to all of the fans who enjoyed the RPG aspect of the game over the shootbangs.
Speak for yourself, I enjoyed the game and while the ending was not great, I still felt my choices in the game mattered, at least the choices in the game that were important to me mattered. Of course the entire thing is really an illusion, it is a game afterall. I got to pick the pretty colors.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #1915
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Some choices mattered, others made absolutely no difference... it just depended on who was writing the particular scenario. The stuff with the quarians and geth? That mattered... the stuff involving the rachni? None of that mattered.

I enjoyed playing Mass Effect 3 as well despite whatever story asshattery there is and design it having janky gameplay that was stripped back far too much and oversimplified to the point where you only have to spam one attack to clear an entire room in seconds. The Quarian-Get war and the Citadel DLC are my two favourite parts of the entire game despite it having the worst ending possible for a game where your choices are meant to matter, as told to you by the developers countless times.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #1916
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Here's the first of four articles I'm posting about the Mass Effect trilogy: http://www.lynkformer.com/2014/01/30...t-mass-effect/

Mostly it's about my first experience with the game and my initial impressions of it along with some reflections of the first game. If you're waiting for the juicier talk of ME3 issues and such, that comes later

Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #1917
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Burn it to the ground, Lynk, BURN IT TO THE GROUND! Feel free to be as open as you want about your depression and loss of lust for life (or games, as it's basically the same thing) when talking about ME3's ending.

Anyway, commented on your article (yes, I read the thing): in short, I remember ME1 fondly.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #1918
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Fun article Lynk!
It's a real treat to see how strongly everyone feels about the look of his Shepard.
I called mine Boris and I sort made him for the 'funnies' at first. But I stuck with him through out the whole 3 games. I started a second playthrough once, but stopped. I just didn't like this new Shepard I made.

Seems like I'm the only one who enjoyed the Mako exploring thing o_O

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #1919
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I have a love/hate relationship with the Mako... I love exploring in it, I hate the terrain I have to explore in it.

Funny enough, I started a second playthrough with a renegade femShep a long time back, before Mass Effect 3 was released but stopped because it just didn't feel right to play as a different Shepard... it just... wasn't right.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #1920
HED
Rookie

I loved the Mako, for all the flaws of it. The exploration sequences had such great atmosphere that I can't help it.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3