lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: In your view how important is it for the new Star Wars movies no contradict Canon?
Utmost importance 63 35.80%
Fairly important 43 24.43%
Indifferent 14 7.95%
Not very important 11 6.25%
Not at all important 14 7.95%
Yoda 31 17.61%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Canon and New Movies, Your Opinion?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #41
CommanderAwesome
Rookie

Current Game: SWBF1, SWTOR
They should try to make as valid a story as possible if they want to please the fanbase, but some retcons are inevitable. Just make sure they're minor.
  • The Republic and Empire have cooler looking ships? Go right ahead!
    The Second Imperium crisis happened earlier? We'll get used to it.
    There was no New Jedi Order? Not gunna happen!
    Palpatine wasn't cloned?
    Kyle Katarn didn't exist? I disapprove.
And so on.

Rayce Jonson - Lvl 17 Guardian

Lee'kai Skykiller - Lvl 18 Commando
CommanderAwesome is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #42
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I'd be so pumped if there was Kyle Katarn in the new movies!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #43
Ferrin13
Rookie

If they want to change some stuff from comics or low release books, that's fine. But if they touch the Zahn books I really am going to be upset. There is absolutely no reason for Disney to mess around with those books.
Ferrin13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #44
Ferrin13
Rookie

What? You don't think Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill look like people ready to swing lightsabers and lead the New Republic? Blasphemy!
Ferrin13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #45
duster
Rookie

Current Game: Fallout NV
Would be ineresting to see the new movies focus on Luke and Kyle.Mabye about their history,how they met...mabye Kyle's fall to the dark side and his return.But that wouldn't take the focus that much on Luke as much as it would on Kyle wich is fine by me.Hopefully they will keep the original cast,introduce Kyle's character and mabye the new movies be actually be bout him.

duster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #46
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I think there's very little chance that the new movies will discuss pretty much anything from the EU at all, unless it's a nod here and there, or the powers-that-be happen to like a character that could fit in the new story.

And personally, even as a fan of the EU, I'm totally fine with that. Much of the EU contradicts itself already - that doesn't make me like any of it less. The Clone Wars animated series also contradicted much of the EU - those books and other media can still be enjoyed even though they are against a higher level of canon. The Clone Wars also borrowed here and there from the EU, which was nice to see at times.

I prefer it when the creators are big fans of the saga, and show reverence toward it. This was the case for Dave Filoni and The Clone Wars, and I feel is probably also true for JJ Abrams. It's in good hands. But EU stories aren't going to be on the silver screen... they just aren't Ep VII movie material.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2014, 12:42 AM   #47
Redwing
thedeadlymoose

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Well...

Lucasfilm has decanonized the entire present EU, to make for a new slate of expanded universe stuff.

Old-EU elements can potentially be brought into the new EU in another form, but beyond that... yeah.

Judging from the poll results, this could have interesting reactions from SW fandom overall...

Redwing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2014, 02:56 AM   #48
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
^^Slight correction, Red: Disney actually made that decision. GL is just an advisory figure.

So far, it's getting a predicted reaction, a catch 22. They love the new move for getting rid of things they didn't like, they bemoan it for getting rid of what they did like.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #49
Redwing
thedeadlymoose

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
^^Slight correction, Red: Disney actually made that decision. GL is just an advisory figure.

So far, it's getting a predicted reaction, a catch 22. They love the new move for getting rid of things they didn't like, they bemoan it for getting rid of what they did like.
Nope, I was correct the first time. Lucasfilm was bought by Disney, along with the Star Wars franchise, so I did in fact meant to say Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm is, of course, part of Disney, so yes, Disney, but that's not a correction.

I normally wouldn't make such a nitpicky counter-correction, but this has been the response literally every time that I've heard this brought up! I think it's something about how people instinctively want to frame things...

I think it'll be interesting to see what elements get brought back into the new canon and what stays left out...

Redwing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #50
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Nope, I was correct the first time. Lucasfilm was bought by Disney, along with the Star Wars franchise, so I did in fact meant to say Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm is, of course, part of Disney, so yes, Disney, but that's not a correction.

I normally wouldn't make such a nitpicky counter-correction, but this has been the response literally every time that I've heard this brought up! I think it's something about how people instinctively want to frame things...
Nah you didn't come across as nitpicky. Humorous rather. Nice distinction there: LucasFilms, that is now Disney, and not the man himself.
--TBH I still blame him ...to some extent.

Quote:
I think it'll be interesting to see what elements get brought back into the new canon and what stays left out...
Darth Bane was part of the original work, so that will remain. But I hear his apprentice was "supposed to be" male. Obviously Revan's holocron will not be part of it anymore. So I guess we're back to the comic Bane of the Sith.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #51
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I wonder what EU stuff people are comfortable with losing. Is it just stuff that's older (nostalgia)? People want to keep the Zahn stuff, but I'm guessing not the earlier Marvel Comics stuff? They want to jettison the new stuff like New Jedi Order but not Clone Wars or Old Republic?

The Kevin J. Anderson stuff and the Stackpole stuff was ruthlessly mocked, but it formed the backbone for a lot of stuff that was to come later. Few remember the Alan Dean Foster stuff or the things that were ignored from the Radio Dramas or film novelizations. People apparently loved Infinities even though it was never canon. Let's not forget the "Tales" series, inventing improbable backstories for every background character ever glimpsed in the movies.

And we all recall the endless fascination with the Holiday Special (and especially the Boba Fett cartoon which I'm not sure how anyone can rationalize as being in continuity with the movies). Then you get our own Jedi Outcast which basically rips off "I, Jedi."

Some of the EU stuff is really popular, others of it has nostalgia for certain fans. If they use any of the EU, it's going to upset some people. Some of the older EU stuff was derived from unused concepts from the original Trilogy production, but it's no more "canon" than anything else. They're starting over.

It's funny though, even as I'm talking about this, it sounds like I'm imagining Disney execs in Spielbergian space suits kicking down doors and grabbing EU novels, games, comics and toys out of the hands of fans and slamming the doors in their faces. Or fans lining up to toss all their Star Wars merch into a big bonfire in front of a giant statue of Bob Iger. Nothing is really "going away" it's just what stuff would be considered relevant to the new movies and movie spinoff stuff.

So this will determine if they'll mention Mara Jade or the Vong in the Episode VII novelization. Will somebody cry in the theater if Mark Hamill doesn't get a red headed former Palpatine lackey as his spouse? If Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher have force-sensitive children that aren't a set of twins named Jaina and Jacen and another son named Anakin? If Luke doesn't start a "Jedi Academy" at the Massassi Temple on Yavin IV? If Kyle Katarn isn't mentioned somewhere for all the stuff he did in the old EU? Chances are they could just not mention any of the stuff, but if it's touching on the "personal histories" of the main cast from the Original Trilogy, I guess somebody will be miffed that their favorite thing was left out.

I couldn't care less what they do, so long as the new movies are good. They should at least be better than the prequels. I would say they should be in strict continuity with the old movies, but Lucas messed around so much with the continuity already, I'm not sure that's practical.

I could dream that they'd really only acknowledge the Original Trilogy, but since the Prequels were so hyped up so recently, I can't imagine they'd be paid any less attention. But there's a difference between essential plot points vs. name-dropping fanservice. Like do we need a scene of the principals meeting an elderly Jar Jar in the nursing home?

I'm not mocking people who liked the EU through all its twists and turns. I am a little amused by the idea that we're freaking out over some fictional side stories not being taken into consideration with this newest set of sequels to this fictional franchise. If the new stuff is just as good or better, enough people will buy it that they won't care who was upset.

So how best to appeal to old fans while drawing in new ones?

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn

Last edited by Kurgan; 06-27-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #52
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
That is a good question though... will the "G-canon" stuff outside the films be kept as well or will it be thrown into the bin with the rest of the EU?

We've got the screenplays, movie novelizations, radio dramas... and the "T-Canon" of the CG Clone Wars movie and tv-series. Is that staying too? I personally don't care if all or none of either set is "kept" but I'm curious. Will they clarify that now, or do like they've done in the past and clarify it every few years from now until after the movies are out?

Will RPG players get upset if there's a bunch of changes to the games based on the new movies?

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old Today, 01:16 PM   #53
Verranicus
Lurker

I think it would be just lovely if they could avoid stepping on what was once established canon, but for the betterment moving forward, do what must be done.
Verranicus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > Canon and New Movies, Your Opinion?