lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: JC's WIP
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #41
JCarter426

Thanks, everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
Might this also be available for KotOR1 as well? I imagine that have that "lasers from the sky" bit might be fun for those making a machinima of the destruction of Taris . . . not unlike this mod for JKA.
View page
YouTube Video

Yes.

Unfortunately it's not as versatile, due to the lack of script parameters.

And I worked in all the damage and other effects from the grenade script, in both games. In fact I had to turn that off for the above recording because the explosions kept throwing me around the module and ruining the shot.

This will all be going in the toolboxes soon (along with the source scripts, of course, if you want to use it in a mod). K2 will be up to 1.2, while K1 is still in beta at 0.7.

EDIT: JC's Toolbox for K1 v0.7b

And K2's v1.2 is on its individual page.

Last edited by JCarter426; 11-21-2013 at 09:53 PM.
JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 AM   #42
JCarter426

Well, I can't believe that worked...
Show spoiler

I finally sat down and figured out how to get new heads to properly animate thanks to VarsityPuppet's HeadFixer. I took a full body model and separated the head. I knew this was possible, but in the past something would always go wrong... anyway, I finally did it. I plan to eventually convert every alien that uses a full body model into a separate head, at least every one that's feasible. That means the aliens will be able to wear any clothing in the game, like the Twi'leks and Devaronians can.

Off the top of my head, Duros, Rodian, Trandoshan, and Weequay heads should be feasible. I made a Sand Person head without animations before, so that's feasible as well. Nikto, Ithorian, and Selkath heads are questionable. Chadra-Fan, Gand, and Gran are supposed to be short so I'm not sure if they're worth doing... maybe if shorter body models could be made as well, but I'm not sure I could do that. Wookiees and Gamorreans are right out. Am I forgetting anything?

I also might take a crack at animating some of my other heads that lacked animations. I've posted the mercenaries here before, but I've also done Mandalorian heads. They'll be a bit trickier to set up, though, as I didn't save the bones... might have to redo them. Once everything is finished, I'll release all the heads as a resource, along with some other heads that I've been saving up.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #43
redrob41
Veteran

Current Game: Destiny, Dragon Age:Inquisit
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
awesome

- Major character artist for the Revenge of Revan mod. -
- List of Completed Mods - Work in Progress Thread - Skinning Tutorial -
redrob41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #44
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrob41 View Post
awesome
That might give Redrob41 a few more heads to work with, huh?

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #45
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I've waited so long for something like this to happen.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #46
Kainzorus Prime
My vision is augmented

Current Game: Deus Ex series
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Show spoiler

I finally sat down and figured out how to get new heads to properly animate thanks to VarsityPuppet's HeadFixer. I took a full body model and separated the head. I knew this was possible, but in the past something would always go wrong... anyway, I finally did it. I plan to eventually convert every alien that uses a full body model into a separate head, at least every one that's feasible. That means the aliens will be able to wear any clothing in the game, like the Twi'leks and Devaronians can.

Off the top of my head, Duros, Rodian, Trandoshan, and Weequay heads should be feasible. I made a Sand Person head without animations before, so that's feasible as well. Nikto, Ithorian, and Selkath heads are questionable. Chadra-Fan, Gand, and Gran are supposed to be short so I'm not sure if they're worth doing... maybe if shorter body models could be made as well, but I'm not sure I could do that. Wookiees and Gamorreans are right out. Am I forgetting anything?

I also might take a crack at animating some of my other heads that lacked animations. I've posted the mercenaries here before, but I've also done Mandalorian heads. They'll be a bit trickier to set up, though, as I didn't save the bones... might have to redo them. Once everything is finished, I'll release all the heads as a resource, along with some other heads that I've been saving up.
Jedi Malak's head for both games. Please.

Kainzorus Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #47
L0ki194
Rookie

Current Game: A Bunch of Games
Man, that's so awesome. I also second the Jedi Malak Head for both games. Somebody should just make a pack full of NPC heads like Kreia's head (Well, not really an NPC, seeing as how she's a companion), Sion's Head, Atris' Head, and then just a bunch of the humanoid Aliens like Duros, Trando, Weequay, and so on.
L0ki194 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #48
Ross_R
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainzorus Prime View Post
Jedi Malak's head for both games. Please.
Yea, actually this is must. Probably with some retexture to differ from Malak himself...
Ross_R is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #49
Scorge
Jedi Protector

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
This is awesome, would be cool to have a trandoshan jedi. (Or dark jedi hehe).

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #50
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorge View Post
This is awesome, would be cool to have a trandoshan jedi. (Or dark jedi hehe).
I second this!

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #51
JCarter426

Show spoiler

I ran into some smoothing problems with the Duros and Bith. I imagine the same would apply to Sion and Malak, unfortunately. Ithorian head was a bust... looked like he was sucked through a vacuum cleaner. And I forgot Aqualish before... I think that should work too.

A brief progress report of all the ones I've tried so far:

Works
Sullustan
Rodian
Trandoshan

Needs Work
Quarren

Smoothing Doesn't Work
Duros
Bith

Doesn't Work
Ithorian

Now, regarding the ones with smoothing issues... that happens because MDLOps discards the data, and there is no tool to correct that like there is with the animations. But even without such a tool, this could theoretically be fixed by remapping the head. This isn't really my area, so I might include those heads anyway, so someone else could finish them.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #52
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I remember Dak Drexl being able to make a playable Duros head. You could take a look at his files here to see what you're missing.

Nice work by the way. Go trandoshans!

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #53
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Show spoiler

Bout time someone started using the damn thing! (redrob too )

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #54
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
I remember Dak Drexl being able to make a playable Duros head. You could take a look at his files here to see what you're missing.

Nice work by the way. Go trandoshans!
As I recall it, Dax was only able to fake a Duros head; he morphed a Human head and then went with the fact that the Duros wore gloves to facilitate not having to retexture the outfits...

You should know by now how much of what modders do is sneaky tricks, cheats, or fakes, man. At least, I know I've pulled around a dozen when working with you and ZM!:P

Old 04-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #55
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
That was great, VP! Nice humor!

Old 04-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #56
JCarter426

Some more pictures:

Show spoiler

Now for the progress report:

Works
Gran
Quarren
Rodian
Sand Person
Sullustan
Trandoshan

Smoothing Doesn't Work
Bith
Duros
Weequay

Doesn't Work
Ithorian
Selkath

Smoothing Probably Wouldn't Work So I haven't Tried
Aqualish
Atris
Jedi Malak
Sion

That weighting on the Quarren was a huge pain... but I got it. And because so many heads had smoothing issues and I knew the Gran wouldn't, I decided to do the Gran.

In addition, there are several heads I made that I never released. These were ones that were simple hex edits, they had no animation issues, they were perfectly fine... I just didn't get around to releasing them. So I'm adding those to the pile. In total there are forty heads so far, and I believe I have twelve left to do (my Mandalorian and mercenary heads). Unless I'm forgetting some.

Now I'll take a moment to explain how I'll be releasing this. In addition to the models I'll include some basic 2DA work - all the necessary head information in heads.2da as well as some lines in appearance.2da, just basic ones, one or two per head. If you plan to include my heads in a mod you'll likely have to do some further editing on your own, but this should at least help get you started.

I did run into some problems with female heads. I don't know what the cause is, exactly, but when I apply a female superbody to a head, it becomes distorted. Keeping the male superbody for the head is fine, but with female animations on the body it looks really silly; the head is at an angle for the idle animation. So far I have only done one female head, a Sand Person, and they don't use the female superbody, so it's not a big deal; I had planned to use the Sand Person animations in place of the supermodel anyway. I don't know if I'll have this problem with the female Mandalorian or mercenary heads, but it's a possibility. In that case I'll apply male animations, as I had done when those heads lacked animations, for the same reason. Of course, you won't have to use the body models I include. But that's my suggestion. I do know how to edit the superbodies, so in theory I could make one with all the female animations but without the stupid head angle for the idle animation, but eh... I dunno if I'd actually do it. Animating... 3ds Max... bleh.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #57
L0ki194
Rookie

Current Game: A Bunch of Games
Interesting... Sorry to ask and put more on your plate, but have you tried Kreia's Head model yet?

My Mods:
L0ki194's Sith Officer Armors: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...fficer-armors/
K1 Player Height Adjustment: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...ht-adjustment/
TSL Player Height Adjustment: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...ht-adjustment/
Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox Mod Loadscreens: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...d-loadscreens/

Last edited by L0ki194; 04-10-2014 at 10:02 PM.
L0ki194 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #58
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
That might give Redrob41 a few more heads to work with, huh?
It was always my intention to try something like this, but I couldn't find the time. I'm pretty happy that JC is cracking along on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
Hey, I've been using the HeadFixer for a long time now, and I'm damn glad you made it

On topic:
Quote:
Now, regarding the ones with smoothing issues... that happens because MDLOps discards the data, and there is no tool to correct that like there is with the animations. But even without such a tool, this could theoretically be fixed by remapping the head. This isn't really my area, so I might include those heads anyway, so someone else could finish them.
I'm still holding out hope that smoothing is just a yes/no stored somewhere in the mdx or mdl binary files. If it is, and we can find it, then a tool could be built (or add to the HeadFixer). The problem is that I'm just fishing around blind in the dark corners of hex editors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Strides 2 View Post
As I recall it, Dax was only able to fake a Duros head; he morphed a Human head and then went with the fact that the Duros wore gloves to facilitate not having to retexture the outfits...

You should know by now how much of what modders do is sneaky tricks, cheats, or fakes, man. At least, I know I've pulled around a dozen when working with you and ZM!:P
Same here with Nindo Bahr for RoR. I used a bald human and moved the verts around until it resembled a Duro. That way, I could use Taina's method and it preserves the smoothing.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #59
JCarter426

Been a bit busy working on... other things... writing, mostly. But here's some progress:

Show spoiler

I had to do the weighting for the Mandalorians from scratch. I was forced to use the male animations for the female Mandalorians, too... but I think it works.

Also I noticed there are slight smoothing issues with the Quarren's tentacles... but I'll release that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ki194 View Post
Interesting... Sorry to ask and put more on your plate, but have you tried Kreia's Head model yet?
I hadn't thought of that... but I don't think it would work.

Works
Gran
Mandalorian
Rodian
Sand Person
Sullustan
Trandoshan

Smoothing Doesn't Work, Releasing Anyway
Quarren

Smoothing Doesn't Work, Not Releasing (Yet)
Bith
Duros
Weequay

Doesn't Work
Ithorian
Selkath

Smoothing Probably Wouldn't Work So I Haven't Tried
Aqualish
Atris
Jedi Malak
Sion

Haven't Tried for Some Other Reason
Kreia

Oh, and yes, I'll be releasing red and gold variants of the Mandalorian heavy armor, as well.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #60
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:

Works
Gran
Mandalorian
Rodian
Sand Person
Sullustan
Trandoshan

Quarren
That's great news
So, are some of these heads going to have Mask and Goggle hooks? I realize that some would look kinda weird with visors sized for human heads (they might end up clipping), but others might work. It's something to think about, anyway.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #61
JCarter426

Yeah, obviously the helmeted ones cannot have them... some might work, but I'm not going to try it yet. I'll leave that for a future update.

So, progress:

Show spoiler

And yes, I'll be including those armor textures as well. I think it adds up to four new heavy armor variants - the red and gold Mandalorian armors, and then two mercenary armors, one pictured above and one in black and green.

Now, the final progress report:

Works
Gran
Mandalorian
Mercenary
Rodian
Sand Person
Sullustan
Trandoshan

Quarren

Smoothing Doesn't Work, Not Releasing (Yet)
Bith
Duros
Weequay

Doesn't Work
Ithorian
Selkath

Smoothing Probably Wouldn't Work So I Haven't Tried
Aqualish
Atris
Jedi Malak
Sion

Haven't Tried for Some Other Reason
Kreia

All that is left is to set up all the 2DA files and the TSL Patcher. Next time you hear from me, I'll have the full release.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #62
Disturbed205
Rookie

Current Game: The Elder Scrolls V
This is great! Sad that Selkath doesn't work, though

Can Mandalore's head be detached like this (it might already be, I have no idea, excuse my ignorance on this matter)?
Disturbed205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #63
Kainzorus Prime
My vision is augmented

Current Game: Deus Ex series
Contest winner - Modding 
I wonder, could you purposefully replace female animations on all the models to use the male ones instead? Because, let's face it, Obsidian dropped the ball on those. Especially considering female exile is canonical, and looks ridiculous with that waddle-running.

Kainzorus Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #64
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainzorus Prime View Post
I wonder, could you purposefully replace female animations on all the models to use the male ones instead? Because, let's face it, Obsidian dropped the ball on those. Especially considering female exile is canonical, and looks ridiculous with that waddle-running.
Should be possible. I've done it before though I feel like there was some weird side-effect. I think the heads end up with a sort of weird orientation to them.

Makes me want to try it out now!

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > JC's WIP