lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Out Of Order playable demo
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-26-2002, 09:32 AM   #1
Tim the Furnish

Cool Guy Out Of Order playable demo

There's now a tiny playable demo (5 rooms, even fewer puzzles) of Out Of Order available at the Hungry Software web site - what does everyone think? Any comments on the interface, lighting, plot (not that you get to see much of it) etc. all gratefully and graciously dismissed immediately... er, I mean received. Of course.

http://www.hungrysoftware.com/ - because sometimes blah blah blah blah punchline
Tim the Furnish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2002, 11:01 AM   #2
Courthold
Shifty eyes

I've just downloaded and had a quick go at this, and i must say i am really impressed, this is really well done, it should be a great game when it's released!

tom@axenet.org

Adventure Developers : http://www.adventuredevelopers.com

Axenet IRC : http://www.axenet.org
Courthold is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2002, 01:31 PM   #3
sheaday6
Old Kentucky Shark

wow, that is good! I sincerely hope it comes out sooner than 2047
sheaday6 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2002, 05:28 AM   #4
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
Wow. Wow. Wow.

That's gotta be the best amateur adventure that I've seen.

I can't wait to see this thing in completed form.

Guy.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2002, 08:18 AM   #5
Huz
Coconut in the lime

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Excellent. The dialogue isn't even littered with conspicuous errors. Great start to a promising game and a good ad for SLUDGE!

(Update: I have to admit I've never been particularly partial to the Sam and Max-style cycle-through-the-available-actions interface, though... anyone else agree?)

"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience

Last edited by Huz; 01-27-2002 at 12:55 PM.
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2002, 01:24 PM   #6
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
I think it's class. Reminds me of the Sierra classics, except in a game where you can't die, it's a lot less stressful.

Guy.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2002, 05:18 PM   #7
Lemon Head
Bad Egg

Superb! The characters look a bit blocky but i think that's to do with my ridiculous resolution

top notch stuff

Deliver me from clear skin and perfect teeth.
Lemon Head is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2002, 04:47 PM   #8
Tim the Furnish

The blockiness of the characters isn't because of your resolution - they're just blocky characters. The main character animations were taken from the DOS version of the game I tried to write about 5 years ago - I couldn't be bothered to hi-res (which I'm sure shouldn't be used as a verb) them for the new version. Lazy, I know... but it also makes them easier to animate. Drawing a new grab, duck, reach, jump or whatever animation doesn't take half as much work as it would on a character with twice as many dpi (or rather, pixels per pixel, I suppose... but that would be ppp, which just sounds silly).

As for the lack of stupid errors in the speech... (a) English being my first language helps. I know a lot of people writing games are Italian, French, German, Swiss, Chinese, Canadian or whatever and consequently their use of English isn't quite as textbook perfect. But it's a hell of a lot better than my Italian, French etc. would be. Still, I have to admit that I shudder when I see objects like "potatoe" in my inventory. I just decided one day that I wasn't going to make any mistakes. Simple as that. Which brings me on to (b)... SLUDGE has an option to save all the speech to a big long text file so that you can run it through a spellchecker. Nifty, eh?

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated...

- Tim

http://www.hungrysoftware.com/ - because sometimes blah blah blah blah punchline
Tim the Furnish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2002, 05:27 PM   #9
Lemon Head
Bad Egg

AHA! so all is explained

well it's still amazing and i'm intensely jealous not to have been on the development team behind it.
I look forward to the full game with big, hungry, eager eyes

Deliver me from clear skin and perfect teeth.
Lemon Head is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > AdventureDevelopers.com > Adventure Developer Discussion > Game / Site Announcements > Out Of Order playable demo