lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mojo, what they have done to you: a short story.
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-08-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
Jake
INSANE

Current Game: Tales of MI
Old News! LFN Staff Member 
Mojo, what they have done to you: a short story.

As you might have noticed, we finally have an active server again as www.mixnmojo.com is working again with a placeholder page [If the site doesn't load for you now, try it tomorrow. DNS is still rolling over]. We do not, however, have any of our files at the moment. The hard drive that Mojo and almost all of LFNetwork resided on (that includes WorldofMI, Scummbar, Samandmax.net and every Mojo hosted site) is in the mail to ZeroXcape to take a look at it.

"Why should he need to take a look at it," you ask? Well, it all started last week, on a day not unlike today, on a server not unlike this one...

One of our hosted sites was running the "YABBse" forum script for their site's web board (Why they weren't using LucasForums is beyond me, of course ). The problem with this, is that just a couple of weeks ago an exploit was found in YABBse, that when exploited would allow the user to gain root access to the server. Yes, so some Brazilian ankle-biter Googled around for sites running YABBse, found our server, and made himself a home.

Fortunately, as far as we know, he wasn't malicious. He wasnt interested in altering any of our sites, or deleting our files. He just wanted free space and thought that he could get it somehow just by getting himself root.

This was why the site was up and down for a couple days last week. We were shutting down web services, rebooting and shutting down the server to generally keep him off. That isn't why we're down right now though.

It was finally realized that we'd need to reinstall the operating system on our server with a couple of patches to beef up its security to keep him off for good. At this point things started to go wrong.

The logical way to reinstall an OS on a server, you'd think, would be to back up all of the files, format the drive, do a completely clean install, and then copy the files back over from the backup drive. That sounds logical, right? That way you have a fresh server, and if things go wrong, you have a clean duplicate of the server from before the changes on the backup drive.

Well, the guy who runs our server at the colocation facility had other plans apparently. I don't know exactly what he did, but when he was done with the fixes, the server came back online without significant security fixes, and without a backup drive made. He also told us that in addition to there being no backup, there might be some data loss on the drive, but we're not sure yet. How did this happen? We don't know. Regardless, the hacker got back in within 40 minutes, and we shut the server down again.

At this point we've generally decided that it's time to move to a new location entirely. A totally new server at a totally new facility with a totally new admin. That is why the server has been down for days and days, and why the hard drive is on a plane or in a truck somewhere heading back to ZeroXcape.

We'll keep you updated on what happens with the files and the new server in this thread, and at www.mixnmojo.com itself.

Sorry for the massive delay.

Visit: The International House of Mojo - Sam & Max.net - Thumbs - [url=http://www.telltalegames.com]Telltale Games
Jake is offline   you may:
Old 06-08-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
Royal Fool

Quote:
Well, the guy who runs our server at the colocation facility had other plans apparently. I don't know exactly what he did, but when he was done with the fixes, the server came back online without significant security fixes, and without a backup drive made. He also told us that in addition to there being no backup, there might be some data loss on the drive, but we're not sure yet.
I would have freaked out.

Good to see you're still alive, though. Good luck with the transfer.

..:Royal Fool:..
Royal Fool is offline   you may:
Old 06-08-2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Haggis
Mojorator

Pray for Mojo.

I do so hope we won't lose you guys. Good luck.

(Sorry, I never know what to say in these situations...)

Haggis is offline   you may:
Old 06-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #4
BooJaka

Ahh well. Take as long as you need, just get her back in one piece.
BooJaka is offline   you may:
Old 06-08-2003, 07:32 PM   #5
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

I hope there was some compensation involved? I hate the way server companies seem to shun ANY responsibilty for their actions... it must be the only service in the world where people go 'you destroyed all my irreplacable data? oh, well, thanks anyway'. If a hacker did it, it would be a different story, but because we PAY these people they're not accountable... argh!?!

And one more thing: Who was the guilty YaBB user?

~ John

[Bg edit, posts merged and it doesnt really matter who it was¬]

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may:
Old 06-08-2003, 07:53 PM   #6
Moosferatu

I think it might have been The Church of Tim, but I am not positive.

"We know Tim Schafer is only human because he hates cats."
Moosferatu is offline   you may:
Old 06-08-2003, 09:37 PM   #7
tabacco

LFN Staff Member 
Are you guys still looking for a new colo facility, or do you have one chosen already? If not, I know some people who might be able to recommend a good place.
tabacco is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 12:34 AM   #8
jp-30

The International House of Mojo Staff 
plasmaskins.jediknightii.net I think was running YABB. Anyway, it's not like the webmaster wanted anything like this to happen.

So, in the meantime, why not take a walk down memory lane and read these awesome mixnmojo archives, grabbed periodically over the last few years;

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.mixnmojo.com

Good times, good times...
jp-30 is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 02:18 AM   #9
PreacherBoy

This is an extremely sad turn of events and I look forward to the day that Mojo and all of LFNetwork returns.

h4t3 l34ds t0 suff3ring
PreacherBoy is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 02:29 AM   #10
Jake
INSANE

It was MILegend's copy of YABB that was hacked, but it's in no way their fault. There were other YABBse's running on LFN to my knowledge, and the guy picked us at random.

TP, I entirely agree that we should be compensated in some way. I'm not sure but I think this is being looked into. Though the initial trouble was caused by the hacker, blame for the numerous screwups after that definitely lie in the hands of our colocation administrator (who incidentally kept saying "that dang hacker"to everything ).

And yes, agreed that it doesn't matter if we're offline until the end of time, as long as we can come back online in one piece.

Visit: The International House of Mojo - Sam & Max.net - Thumbs - [url=http://www.telltalegames.com]Telltale Games
Old 06-09-2003, 04:19 AM   #11
Moosferatu

I don't see what the hacker has to do with any of this. The entire thing did start with the hacker but he didn't mess anything up. It was the guys at the colocation who messed the site up.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:57 AM   #12
Oystein

Thanks for making things clearer, Jake. I'm just happy that we still have the forums.
Oystein is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 08:32 AM   #13
pleto4_ryan

Good to see that all is gonna be fine

"They've come to witness the Beginning.
The rebirth of Paradise, despoiled by mankind."
Claudia

A journey of a 1000 battles, begins with a single blow.

Un-break my heart...
pleto4_ryan is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 02:50 PM   #14
Andi Wan

You know good can come from all of this. I registered a year ago, and haven't been back here till now. Downtime might draw people into the forums.

Thank god for the forums. That total blackout that Mojo had a year or so ago was horrible.

I hope Mojo gets up again soon. I'm hanging out for that interview with Dan Petit!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Xero.
Andi Wan is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 06:10 PM   #15
Jake
INSANE

Quote:
Originally posted by pleto4_ryan
Good to see that all is gonna be fine
We'll see about that.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:38 PM   #16
PreacherBoy

Yeah. I think one thing most of you are missing and one thing the people in charge of LFNetwork aren't saying is that:

1) They had to ship a drive out to someone to see if he can recover data since there was no backup made.
2) Recovering data off of a hard drive is black magic.
3) All of their content might be gone or would have to be rebuilt from the various local backups the content authors have.

h4t3 l34ds t0 suff3ring
PreacherBoy is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 07:27 PM   #17
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
This is just idiocy at it's best. you know, a big time compnay like microsoft could have it's entire server go down and all it's backups and stuff gone and it still wouldn't matter as much as this does.

Well, okay, it probably would.

But seriously, Jake, if ZeroXcape can't do anything, what will happen?

Joshi is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 07:35 PM   #18
DJG
Bot of the Year

We have older backups, and a lot of the recent stuff is probably on random Mojo staff computers. We'll get back up regardless.

DJG
The International House of Mojo
www.mixnmojo.com
DJG is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 07:38 PM   #19
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Well, that's a relief, I just got a little scared when Jake said "We'll see about that."

Joshi is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 09:37 PM   #20
Jake
INSANE

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the worst case scenario was that nothing would ever come back online, if we can't recover all the data it will just take a long time to have everything be identical to how it was before the crash, or "back to normal."

Old 06-09-2003, 09:53 PM   #21
twifkak

Did you ever finish "getting back to normal" in the first place? :P
twifkak is offline   you may:
Old 06-09-2003, 11:13 PM   #22
Kingzjester
Messiah of Tim

It wasn't the Church of Tim Moos, that's just wistful thinking on your part... There was a brief window in which I managed to log on to the FTP while the site was for the bigger part still down and I deleted the messageboard thoroughly. There still might be some junk in the mySQL left over. I am not proficient with mySQL nor am I quite sure where those tables are stored exactly...

~ There is only one God and Tim is his name.
Kingzjester is offline   you may:
Old 06-10-2003, 12:14 AM   #23
Jake
INSANE

Quote:
Originally posted by twifkak
Did you ever finish "getting back to normal" in the first place? :P
Silence!
Old 06-10-2003, 12:22 AM   #24
Kingzjester
Messiah of Tim

You gotta pity the fool.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:18 AM   #25
Moosferatu

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingzjester
It wasn't the Church of Tim Moos, that's just wistful thinking on your part... There was a brief window in which I managed to log on to the FTP while the site was for the bigger part still down and I deleted the messageboard thoroughly. There still might be some junk in the mySQL left over. I am not proficient with mySQL nor am I quite sure where those tables are stored exactly...
What was it that it used then? It wasn't like the rest of the message boards.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:44 AM   #26
Kingzjester
Messiah of Tim

That particular brand of message boards has a security flaw. Everybody can mess with those, since the code is open - it is only a matter of time before somebody uses it for naughty things.

Old 06-10-2003, 06:27 AM   #27
Mellonhead

Does anyone have any idea how long the WMI site will be down. For I need the e-mail I have there (if it still exists).

'Man does not live for the moment, but for the memory...'

So sayeth the wise Stolk
Mellonhead is offline   you may:
Old 06-10-2003, 07:34 AM   #28
jannar85

Jake? The files still *exist* yes?

** edit **
Hmm... That's weird... LucasForums still shows my avatar!!!
My day is saved! *backups his avatar*

Regards,
Atle Ragnar Jarnæs Lerøy | Gamedeveloper

Runestone Entertainment

Stay tuned. Soon Launched.
Roger Foodbelly -.- Official Site
jannar85 is offline   you may:
Old 06-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #29
publicmonkey

there were some posts at the Public Monkey Island Forum that were enquiring what had happened to so many of the Monkey island websites, personally i thought that they had been closed by lucas arts.

publicmonkey

ps. If you’re a Monkey Island Fan please join the Public Monkey Island Forum, we have only been running a couple of days and need people to help lift it off the ground, so join us and start posting straight away about anything to do with those classic games.

http://pub162.ezboard.com/bpublicmonkeyislandforum

Join the Public Monkey Island Forum @
http://pub162.ezboard.com/
fpublicmonkeyislandforumfrm18.addRepl
yFromWeb?topicID=1.topic&index=3
publicmonkey is offline   you may:
Old 06-10-2003, 08:56 AM   #30
Dalixam
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellonhead
Does anyone have any idea how long the WMI site will be down. For I need the e-mail I have there (if it still exists).
Your email still exists. The WMI emails are not handled by the LFNetwork nor stored on their servers. WMI will be back up when the rest of the LF/Mojo network is and they are doing everything to make that happen as soon as possible. In the meantime don't worry, your email is safe

Dalixam is offline   you may:
Old 06-10-2003, 10:57 AM   #31
Mellonhead

Sorry, I forgot the e-mail is hosted somewhere else. I'm relieved by the fact that it's safe.

'Man does not live for the moment, but for the memory...'

So sayeth the wise Stolk
Mellonhead is offline   you may:
Old 06-10-2003, 11:26 AM   #32
Haggis
Mojorator

It's also worth noticing that you can still access your WMI e-mail account at http://worldofmi.mail.everyone.net

Haggis is offline   you may:
Old 06-10-2003, 07:24 PM   #33
Sarah
Tetris Attack Guru

Who knows, this could be the dawn of a new day for Mojo and its constituents.

It's like spring cleaning, except completely unwanted and unintentional. If nothing is recovered, well, those who don't have local backups will get to spruce up their places with redesigns, or throw in the towel. Either way, theoretically things'll be less cluttered

*trying to drag everyone tooth and nail over to the sunny side of the street*

Thirsty for distance.
Sarah is offline   you may:
Old 06-10-2003, 07:28 PM   #34
Jake
INSANE

Yeah the upside of complete deletion is that we'd get rid of some of the deader dead weight hosted sites. I'll be sad to see Loom Island go if it goes, though.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:22 AM   #35
Oystein

Don't forget the Michael Land homepage. Mojo just isn't Mojo without that site.
Oystein is offline   you may:
Old 06-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #36
Marek
Not DJG.

Why not use archive.org to get your old articles? Sure, you may have to change some crap in the source like the URLs, but that could be done with a search & replace.

Speaking of the Michael Land Homepage, I think that site and LucasFans should be incorporated into Mojo as new features. Mojo's news rocks but it needs more content.

P.S. I don't even know what that thing is.
Marek is offline   you may:
Old 06-11-2003, 11:49 AM   #37
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Angry lamerzeverywhere

all those creepy HACKERcrackhaedz aout dere .. nibblin through the web.. suckin everything down they get into their stinky fingaz..
.. HAVE NO F-IN BIT OF RESPECT TO THE WORK OF OTHERS ..

so listen: if I would ever get ROOTRights on your f-in harddisk.. YOU POOPOOHEADZ wouldnt have 1 single bit left for even storing NO (i meant ZERO) data!

you should hunt down some terrorists or people like that.. use your skillzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to proof there is no allah, jesus, humpetybumpetysuckingGODcreatureswithnoBRAINinit.. you could have thrown a ball, read a book, played monkey instead.

BUT NO. (i must repeat) BUUUUUTTT NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
.. you must lay down MOJO. ..

HOW ABOUT THAT: start your browser an go www.dierightnow.net/hard/painful/veeeeryyssslowwwww/getEATENbyMURRAYwhileyourBALLSareCROSSWISEbeingKEE LHAULED.htm

Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 06-11-2003, 11:59 AM   #38
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Erm...quite.

Please try and make your future posts a little, no a LOT less spam-tastic.

bgbennyboy is offline   you may:
Old 06-11-2003, 12:04 PM   #39
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
.. errrm .. what do you mean..

Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 06-11-2003, 12:09 PM   #40
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
I mean make your posts, legible, reasonably relevant and coherent or dont bother posting at all

bgbennyboy is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Mojo, what they have done to you: a short story.