lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: 2014 World Cup
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #41
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
i went downtown to watch the game here in my hometown. the atmosphere was like watching an NFL playoff game where everyone in the bar was pulling for the same team. it was loud; the beer was flowing; and we got rowdy. it was just awesome to be with other Americans getting into a game like that, and it wasn't American football.

looking forward to USA v GER!!!
Sounds nice! I think I saw somewhere it was the highest viewed soccer game in America ever. Being in Belgium atm, I stayed up until about 2:30 in the morning watching it in a bar with only about 3 other people, bartender included. Even with so few people, it was pretty animated, since the one Portuguese customer and the bartender got into an argument about Ronaldo's performance. I felt like it was the start of a joke, actually (So an American, a Belgian, and a Portuguese walk into a bar...) Brussels was also going nuts from the Belgian win against Russia. Speaking of that particular group, was anyone expecting Algeria to win 4-2 against South Korea?

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #42
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
Speaking of that particular group, was anyone expecting Algeria to win 4-2 against South Korea?
Who knew that'd be the most exciting match of that group? (thanks to a blundering defense, it must be said)

But who expected Suarez to bite again? What a weird little dude. I'm a bit sad Italy is out. They didn't play good in their last two matches, but even only for Prandelli I'd have wanted them to go through.

And now we're getting a Costa Rica-Greece second round match-up. What the hell... This World Cup is so strange.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #43
Red Hessian

Current Game: Oblivion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
But who expected Suarez to bite again? What a weird little dude.
That's an understatement.

Quote:
And now we're getting a Costa Rica-Greece second round match-up. What the hell... This World Cup is so strange.
A 93rd minute penalty. And a dubious one at that. I'm definitely cheering for Costa Rica in that one.

Motion with no sound
Ice inside the fire
The stillness in the storm
Silence hides the sniper

Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #44
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I'm still a bit grumpy that Croatia lost to Brazil. They're capable of playing so much better than they did on Monday.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2014, 02:33 AM   #45
Red Hessian

Brazil got through by the skin of their teeth. But there's no chance they'll get past Colombia - that James Rodriguez is brilliant

Motion with no sound
Ice inside the fire
Silence hides the sniper

Old 06-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #46
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Poor Jara. That missed penalty is going to haunt him for sure.

Chile were robbed, plain and simple. They deserved to win so much more than Brazil, who got through on luck more than anything. Such a shame, but man was that one hell of a game.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #47
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
But who expected Suarez to bite again?
Someone did.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #48
Red Hessian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Chile were robbed, plain and simple. They deserved to win so much more than Brazil, who got through on luck more than anything.
You can say the same thing about Mexico in today's game. They dominated for 88 minutes and got taken down by a lucky rebound and another 90+ minute dubious penalty.

Motion with no sound
Ice inside the fire
Silence hides the sniper

Old 06-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #49
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hessian View Post
You can say the same thing about Mexico in today's game. They dominated for 88 minutes and got taken down by a lucky rebound and another 90+ minute dubious penalty.
You won't get an argument from me. As much as it pains me to admit, Mexico owned that match with little contest. It seems as though with the exception of Costa Rica, the round of 16 matches thus far have gone against the team that clearly played a better game.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #50
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
So many games going to extra time!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #51
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
best goalie performance in the history of the Cup, and we still lost.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #52
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Yeah, Howard's performance was incredible. The US has been an entertaining team at this WC. Credit to their tenacity. But finally a performance of Belgium to be proud of, the win was in the end wholly deserved.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #53
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Yeah, Howard's performance was incredible. The US has been an entertaining team at this WC. Credit to their tenacity. But finally a performance of Belgium to be proud of, the win was in the end wholly deserved.
I may have been the only person in the US rooting for Belgium. Not that I watched a second of the match. I'm even surprise I knew not to call it a game.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #54
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Quote:
It's like the USA's defense decided to not show up to the game. Plus, once I saw Lukaku burning all the defenders I knew the US wasn't going on. Speaking of Belgium, I'm a bit surprised they weren't able to score a goal against Argentina, especially after letting an early one in. Plus, was anyone expecting Costa Rica to take the Netherlands to penalties?

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #55
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
Speaking of Belgium, I'm a bit surprised they weren't able to score a goal against Argentina, especially after letting an early one in.
Well, I think they were a bit too tame, they showed a bit too much respect. And ultimately, the attacking players, Hazard first and foremost, have disappointed.

Didn't see the Netherlands, but I wasn't that surprised. They haven't impressed at this tournament. Neither has Argentina, to be honest. If I had to take a guess, the winner of this World Cup is the winner of Brazil-Germany.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 AM   #56
Red Hessian

Germany 7-1 Brazil

Gentlemen, we just witnessed football perfection, not to mention history (Miro Klose ending up the all time World Cup leading scorer, highest win in semi-finals, most goals conceded by Brazil, etc). Brazil has proved that without Neymar (and a little help from the ref) they're a second-rate squad at best. I'm just disappointed they scored that one goal, because they didn't deserve even that.

Motion with no sound
Ice inside the fire
Silence hides the sniper

Old 07-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #57
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Germany 7-1 Brazil
Now that's a Mortal Kombat's "Fatality".

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #58
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
It's a good day to be a German! Or have German heritage, in my case.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #59
Nick Vader

Current Game: Dead Rising 2
The game was really fun to watch, the Germans really put on a show. At one point I saw a Brazilian fan waving a Mexican flag towards the ref lol.

No disrespect for the Brazilian squad, because they really are great footballers, but they just didn't deserve to make it to the top 4 when compared to the rest of the teams competing, just saiyan...

Nick Vader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #60
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
Glad to see Brazil finally get what was coming to them. Their performance yesterday proves exactly how poor a team they really are without Neymar scoring goals or Silva calling the shots out back. A shame, because they do have some great individual talent that just wasn't allowed to shine properly this tournament. The internet seems to have coined the match "The Belo Blitz", which I think ranks right up there with "The Orange Wedding" for Holland's defeat of Spain.

Looking forward to the Netherlands v. Argentina game this afternoon. Barring any more pro-South American officiating it looks to be shaping up to be a good match.

I want to bring up a discussion here though that's only half related to the World Cup itself. I wanna talk about the national anthems. Initially - in the group stages, I mean - I found the South American penitent for continuing the national anthem for a second verse despite the music stopping to be... well, mildly amusing, if a bit obnoxious. I wanted to watch a game, not a choir practise. But whatever. But as the tournament progressed I found myself bothered by it more and more, and I've finally come to find it not only obnoxious but outright disrespectful.

To me, the World Cup - indeed, football/soccer in general - is about respect. It's about nations from all over the world coming together over something they all have in common, and where everyone is willing and able to follow the same rules, traditions, and customs as everyone else. That's why traditions like exchanging the flags at the start and swapping the captain's jerseys at the end of a match exist. That's why nations have ended wars and created new holidays in the name of the World Cup. Because it's important. And through showing this respect, you bring just as much honour to your nation (or club, or district, or whatever level you're playing at) as you do when you bring home the trophy itself.

Now, I realise that Latin nations are fiercely prideful, and that a nation's anthem is a symbol to its people - something to be proud of in itself. But when you decide that your national anthem deserves more time than someone else's, you're deciding that your honour is more important than theirs. You're intentionally and willfully violating the rules and customs by which everyone else has agreed to abide in the name of patriotism. I find this incredibly disrespectful, both to the opposing side as well as one's own nation, whose honour you have now tarnished by violating the rules which you agreed to follow while representing it.

I acknowledge that the crowd is an animal all its own, and there's little that can be done about them. And really it doesn't bother me that the fans continue singing. But when the players refuse to step onto the pitch upon the end of the anthems, they're willfully violating the attitude of respect that the world has come to expect of the Beautiful Game. I'm of the believe that it should be treated as delay of game - the entire team should be ordered to the pitch, and if they continue singing they should be shown yellow. Harsh, maybe, but all in all what the World Cup represents is more important than any single nation's pride if you ask me.

I'm coming off a bit sanctimonious, I know, but there it is. Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #61
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

It's not like a second verse got them a sixth World Cup, so I'm hoping they shelve that idea in the future anyway. I'm not sure it's disrespectful per sé and I don't think it was intended as such, but I definitely found it obnoxious. I personally don't put much worth in national anthems, so others might disagree. Too much patriotism or nationalism scares me anyway.

And I'm happy Brazil lost. Which is weird to say, considering I was rooting for Brazil in almost every World Cup I saw, including the 2002 final which they won against Germany. But all the obnoxious fringe activities, the overconfidence and the abysmal football they played (a farcry from the 'jogo bonito' that previous Seleçao have shown) have made me turn against this team and so I relished in this crushing defeat. Also, let's not forget how well Germany played. To me, it's the only team that really deserves this World Cup (not only based on their football, but through their hard work and the long term planning of German football in general that lead to this moment).

Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #62
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Netherlands deserved to win, unfortunately PK are more about luck than anything else...

Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #63
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Neither deserved to win that game. I hope for the sake of football Germany win on Sunday.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #64
maltron66
Rookie

And now, here we are, merely a few hours away from witnessing the final battle between Messi's La Albiceleste and Muller's Panzers. Who's gonna win? My money's on Germany tonight, although I support both teams. I hope we get see exceptional football tonight. What do you folks think?
maltron66 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #65
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Neither deserved to win that game.
I think the Netherlands did. They seemed to have given much more effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltron66 View Post
And now, here we are, merely a few hours away from witnessing the final battle between Messi's La Albiceleste and Muller's Panzers. Who's gonna win? My money's on Germany tonight, although I support both teams. I hope we get see exceptional football tonight. What do you folks think?
I'm with Germany on this one.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #66
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
I think the Netherlands did. They seemed to have given much more effort.
That's all relative. Apparently their first real chance on goal happened in the last minutes of the first 90 minutes. They do have a good plan, though (courtesy of Van Gaal) that compensates for their lack of quality. So a deserved win against Brazil, at least (even though Brazil was again very, very poor).

Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #67
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Germany is the new World Cup champion. I was hoping they'd win, but I didn't expect the game to go into extra time at all.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:52 AM   #68
Red Hessian

Congrats to Germany, they deserved it! The only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth is Messi winning the Golden Ball. I would have given it to Müller, Robben or Kroos.

Motion with no sound
Ice inside the fire
Silence hides the sniper

Old 07-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #69
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Good job Germany, totally deserved. Anyone else thought this game was quite dirty, though? Both teams could (should!) have gotten red cards.

Quote:
The only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth is Messi winning the Golden Ball. I would have given it to Müller, Robben or Kroos.
Yep, I think there were a lot of players that deserved to win it more than Messi, including those three.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #70
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Germany certainly was machine.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #71
Scorge
Jedi Protector

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I might be just a tiny bit late here, but I honestly thought that Germany did an outstanding performance in the World Cup and deserved to win. In my opinion, Brazil and Argentina's teams were overrated while Germany and Holland were ripping through everyone while being underrated. Now we wait for the Euro...

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > 2014 World Cup