lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: ridiculously large cover scans etc
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #201
ssdsa
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagomorph01
I've got a ridiculously large scan of the coverart of Monkey Island 2, without any letters or added taglines or anything.
I also have a ridiculously large version of the Grim Fandango concept art, (the Rubacava one) and the Maniac Mansion Edison painting.
I just don't know where to upload. The files are like 90 MB in size uncompressed.
I've got the Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango one hanging in my room! ^^
Any news on those files? Could you share them with us?
ssdsa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #202
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdsa
Any news on those files? Could you share them with us?
Mmh... maybe he was just kidding? By the way, a few weeks ago I've mailed Steve Purcell regarding logo-less versions of the two MI-front-artworks, and he said, that he did both of them WITH the "Monkey Island" title (or at least they were never printed without them... he wasn't entirely clear about that). So if somebody has those without the complete titling (the taglines were of course added in later), it's just a retouch, like the one that once appeared at the ScummBar.

Last edited by Laserschwert; 02-20-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #203
Lagomorph01
Rookie

I'm sorry I didn't answer your questions, I don't visit the forum that much.
I do really have these paintings.
I just have a really slow internet connection and I'm a very busy man.
I will see what I can do when I get some time.
In the meantime I'll just give you a quick tease:

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Lagomorph01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #204
ssdsa
Rookie

Quote:
I do really have these paintings.
I just have a really slow internet connection and I'm a very busy man.
I will see what I can do when I get some time.
[image]
This is so cool! I just sent you a PM. Maybe I can help to get the files online.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #205
Longcat

haha, i did that WEEKS ago simon droool...
Longcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #206
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Bizarrely I looked at that picture and thought you were posing a throwing your hat onto your bedpost. Made me wonder about Jona's comment...!

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2007, 07:02 AM   #207
Longcat

it is a nice hat, admitedly. though way to small for my nappy head
Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #208
lgdnp
Lurker

Thumbs up

Greatness! I hope that you'll do some more, especially:

The Dig
Full Throttle
Day Of The Tentacle
Maniac Mansion

I've already printed the ones you've made and their standing on my desk, bringing a tear to my eye.
lgdnp is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #209
lgdnp
Lurker

Oh yeah, and allso

Grim Fandango
Loom
Sam'n'Max

I know, i'm pushy... damn me to hell
Hope it's possible
Old 02-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #210
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdnp
Oh yeah, and allso

Grim Fandango
Loom
Sam'n'Max

I know, i'm pushy... damn me to hell
Hope it's possible
Of course it's possible to damn you to hell:

Regarding the covers... I'm not really planning on continuing right now... first thing would be adding stuff to LucasArts Soundtracks, and even that has to wait right now, since my real life is still busy as hell (so I'll join you there, I guess).

@Lagomorph01:
Now come on, give us some details. What are the sources of these (image-wise, not download-wise)? I guess they are insanely upscaled to be printed at that size, right? The "Sam & Max"-poster on the left is a scan from "Surfing the Highway", so I guess it was de-screened and upscaled as well... c'moooooooon!!!

Old 02-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #211
lgdnp
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
Of course it's possible to damn you to hell:

Regarding the covers... I'm not really planning on continuing right now... first thing would be adding stuff to LucasArts Soundtracks, and even that has to wait right now, since my real life is still busy as hell (so I'll join you there, I guess).

@Lagomorph01:
Now come on, give us some details. What are the sources of these (image-wise, not download-wise)? I guess they are insanely upscaled to be printed at that size, right? The "Sam & Max"-poster on the left is a scan from "Surfing the Highway", so I guess it was de-screened and upscaled as well... c'moooooooon!!!
shame well, i'll be hoping then, because they're simply just great! ... thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 05:26 AM   #212
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Quote:
@Lagomorph01:
The "Sam and Max" poster, is not a poster at all. It's a painting.
A friend made it for me for my birthday.
Anyway, the source of the MI2 poster is from the original painting, I think Steve Purcell has it hanging in his house, just like the Edisons one.
The source of the Grim Fandango poster is the piece of concept art drawn, in I think it's charcoal, by Peter Chan.

None of these had any logo's or anything in the first place, so none of it is "redrawn" in photoshop.

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Lagomorph01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2007, 06:57 AM   #213
Longcat

I'm gonna make a bigass poster of that grimscene.. hear you'll be getting them on cd ssda, if you need hosting space, I can help you out. but I guess you, with your german ingenuity, have all the space you need
Old 02-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #214
ssdsa
Rookie

Jona, I'm going to contact you regarding the hosting space when I get the files on CD from Lagomorph01. Don't hold your breath until then, though. Lagomorph01 said he'll see what he can do, and he's still trying to perfect the colors of the MI2 one because the print looks really pale in broad daylight.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #215
Longcat

*mmmmmphhh* sorry, couldn't do any better'n guybrush.. only 10 minuttes i know, he told me. 'tis good too have something to look forward to anyways
Old 02-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #216
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Well, so I'm now officially really looking forward to these... the only thing missing now is a hi-res scan of the MI1-poster.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #217
Scummbuddy

And of course a high-res of the back of the Monkey Island 2 box art that Purcell put up on eBay weeks back. Whomever bought that surely must be a mojo lurker.

Scummbuddy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #218
Longcat

it went for about 4,500 US dollars.. don't know bout you guys, but I sure as hell haven't got that kinda dough to spend on something like that. wish I did though...
Old 02-26-2007, 01:49 AM   #219
ssdsa
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona
it went for about 4,500 US dollars.. don't know bout you guys, but I sure as hell haven't got that kinda dough to spend on something like that. wish I did though...
So you haven't turned your totally weird Loom CD into cash yet?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #220
Longcat

ergh... no.. seems it's not as rare as i first imagined... or would you like another one? only 4500 NKR
Old 02-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #221
clone2727
Rookie

Current Game: Full Throttle
Laserschwert, what did you use to make those MI1-4, FC and FOA covers? Photoshop?
clone2727 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #222
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clone2727
Laserschwert, what did you use to make those MI1-4, FC and FOA covers? Photoshop?
Yeah, Photoshop. But it's the "Last Crusade"... not the First.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #223
clone2727
Rookie

Current Game: Full Throttle
Quote:
But it's the "Last Crusade"... not the First.
Er... right. I was writing FOA first and I guess my mind just slipped
clone2727 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #224
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Now that you're here, Laserschwert, I'd like to thank you for those covers you made. They were great inspiration for my own Sierra DVD covers I made. I even used the rule guides from your DVD cover files in Photoshop to place images (handy!).
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #225
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
You're welcome... that's probably why I subconsciously didn't delete the guides

Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #226
Conradson
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexler
Eh to heck with it I may as well make a triple-post!

"Clean" MI1 box art (5.08 MB): mi1.png
"Clean" MI2 box art (4.40 MB): mi2.png

Both losslessly compressed in the PNG format. More-or-less 300dpi. Clean meaning they're basically the complete box arts (no "system requirements" rubbish or anything).
Hi, I'm looking for those two scans (> dead link), cleaned cover art of MI1 and MI2, in order to make a fan covering.

My actual fan covers here : http://conradson.deviantart.com/

Thanks in advance (sorry for my weird English, I'm French).
Conradson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #227
xChri5x
Rookie

French!?
xChri5x is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2007, 04:39 AM   #228
plamdi.com
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradson
Hi, I'm looking for those two scans (> dead link), cleaned cover art of MI1 and MI2, in order to make a fan covering.

My actual fan covers here : http://conradson.deviantart.com/

Thanks in advance (sorry for my weird English, I'm French).
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55288860/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55288876/

My covers:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55289893/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55289602/

http://plamdi.com/wotc/tales.htm
http://plamdi.com/movies/swcovers.htm

To whoever owns The LucasArts Adventure Museum website, I've tried emailing you I have my own scans of MANY of the things you're missing, please get back to me if you want them. I have much, much more high-resolution scans as you can see here (all the PNG's are my own scans, I'm still looking for some more of my scans):

plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2007, 05:20 AM   #229
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
These are excellent images! Well done. I'm going to look into sorting out the perpetual limbo that LucasCovers has fallen into next week, so hopefully a decent library of the DVD covers and box scans can be amassed. Thanks for uploading these

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #230
plamdi.com
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTee
These are excellent images! Well done. I'm going to look into sorting out the perpetual limbo that LucasCovers has fallen into next week, so hopefully a decent library of the DVD covers and box scans can be amassed. Thanks for uploading these
That would be handy, I visited LucasCovers only to find it wasting webspace! I can also contribute the MI1 CD Big-Box scans to http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/. Thanks for the compliment, the MI2 box took a lot of work (imagine starting with the Kixx box art in 1200dpi, then adding the original label at 1200dpi to blend just the bottom par of the image, and THEN you have all this side stuff to re-draw:

To make it look more natural I replaced all the sky from the LEC-label part with the Kixx sky. This is the resolution I was working in:

You should be able to tell I used some of the scan from the LEC box there (but all the sky is cloned from the Kixx box). Still, I did this a long time ago now.

Sadly the same process would not have worked for the MI1 box, however now that I consider I scanned the CD-rom box I may be able to fix it up in 1200 DPI better then my original!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #231
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Those scans are really great!

Finally I've managed to upscale a descent MI2-scan to at least 45 x 60 cm. I've faked detail with a few filters and by overlaying a texture. I'll post some images (and maybe the whole big thing itself) when I get home. I wish we could easily get rid of the "by RON GILBERT"-remains, but I guess I'll just have to try to paint it out.

I wish Lagomorph01 would post his logo-less scan of the MI2-artwork...

And I'm also still hoping for a descent version of the MI1-boxart... especially without the "LucasFilm Games"-sticker at the bottom. Oh, and a 300dpi-scan of the official MI1-poster.

Last edited by Laserschwert; 05-15-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #232
elTee
beatnik

This thread is so old now, and the content in it is so spread out, that I'm thinking we might be better off starting a new thread soon. I have (seriously, ridiculous amounts of) work to do but by the 24th of May I'll be getting some free time, so that's when I'll sort this out.

Until then you guys should discuss and come up guidelines for images. Desired resolution (I'm not an image techie, by resolution I mean dimensions - 5000x3000 pixels etc.) and DPI for box art scans suitable for LARGE POSTER PRINTING. Then we can set up a project where we paint over the covered sections of box-art and get clean, super-hi-res images for all 14 games.

The second stage would be to set up similar guidelines for DVD cases, and even art for the discs themselves. Obviously this would be a lower-res than poster printing because a DVD case is so much smaller - but we would still need the optimum resolution for clear printing. Also for DVD cases the BACK of the boxes would need to be scanned as well.

LucasForums can provide text files containing the 'blurb' from the back of each box, in case a designer wishes to eschew the original design for one of their own.

So to recap: we need a list of guidelines! LucasCovers will be set up something like this:

Files for designers:
- 'Clean Box Art' Project
- Section of finished clean box art image files at POSTER RESOLUTION
- Selection of finished clean box art image files at DVD CASE RESOLUTION
- Selection of scanned CD-Roms / Manuals etc. at an appropriate resolution for printing (whatever you feel people might like to include for their 'final sets'.)

Files by designers:
- User-created DVD CASES + any additional extras, such as DVD slip inserts or CD designs
- User-created POSTERS of the games, if applicable.

And to re-iterate, we should aim for a standard here - each file (from each category) should be the same resolution and file format (multiple formats can be available.)

So figure it out, please

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently

Last edited by elTee; 05-16-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #233
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Good idea(s), ElTee... yet, I'll post my results right now

Here are some full-res samples of the upscaled MI2-artwork (the JPEG-compression blurred the texture a little bit):

I don't know how it looks when printed (as mentioned, at this scale the artwork would make a poster of 45 x 60 cm - which is about 17.7 x 23.6 inch), but I think the faked detail might work really good on this one. The logo might need some touch up, and the "by RON GILBERT"-line is still in there, so this is not yet ready.

I've tried the same technique on the MI1-artwork:

It might work as well (although the artwork isn't as detailed as the one Steve did for MI2), but the image itself still needs some touch-up work.

And last but not least, I've played with the "Sam & Max"-cover, although faking detail with a texture didn't work too well with the comic style, so I only used the brush-stroke effect on these:

Really not sure about this one... I guess there's still room for improvement.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #234
plamdi.com
Rookie

The artwork is the same quality, it's just a higher quality on the Kixx box. Here's the original resolution (just with a median filter over it):

LEC Box:

KIXX Box:
Old 05-16-2007, 02:46 AM   #235
plamdi.com
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamdi.com
Sadly the same process would not have worked for the MI1 box, however now that I consider I scanned the CD-rom box I may be able to fix it up in 1200 DPI better then my original!
OK I've done this, here's the resized result:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55430537/
Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 AM   #236
elTee
beatnik

You guys seem to know what you're doing, perhaps you can help with the site? Although it needs a redesign first (I forgot about that.)

Anyway, I'm impressed with these images you're coming up with - very impressed. Back to work for me now

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 05-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #237
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plamdi.com
The artwork is the same quality, it's just a higher quality on the Kixx box.
Was that referring to me saying
Quote:
although the artwork isn't as detailed as the one Steve did for MI2
?

In that case it must be a coincidence that you're name is Steve as well. I was actually talking about Steve Purcel, who did the two MI-artworks... and he painted a lot more detail into the MI2 artwork then he did with MI1.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend using Median to reduce noise and screen-artifacts, because it kills too much detail in the image. Instead I'd use a plugin like NeatImage, which keeps a lot of the detail, and even preserves most ofthe fine brush-strokes in the image. Here are some comparisons (excuse the slight color difference... I've auto-leveled them separately):

(Notice the detail in Guybrush's hair and the blade)

(Compare the monkey's face and mouth, as well as the cannibals masks and skirts )

(See the brush strokes on the skull and the detail on the ship and the water)

(See the monkey's fur, the skull's jaw and teeths and the faces)

The plugin generates a few artifacts where it can't recognize the flow of the lines, alhough I think these support the "painted" look of the image. When scaled up, and some added effects like brush strokes and texture, this might work as a poster I guess.

Last edited by Laserschwert; 05-16-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 AM   #238
plamdi.com
Rookie

LOL, I'm not steve - I know you mean Purcell, I was just letting you know that the quality of print on the original box is significantly lower quality then the print that the Kixx release did, and this goes for both MI1 and MI2. I used the Kixx box for the MI2 cover, but I used the original LEC box for the MI1 cover (because I didn't think I could redraw all the missing stuff). I assume you upscaled my down-scaled images. I scanned the boxes at the highest resolution my scanner would do, at those resolutions you could print the box art at about 60 x 75cm at 200dpi. Scans at this resolution are already available, however: http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original...over-art.shtml

Part of the reason I left "By Ron Gilbert" on the cover (aside from consistency for my DVD-case covers), was the fact that it obscured the blend line between the KIXX cover and the LEC cover underneath it.

If you really want it without anything on it you need to get a print of Purcell's painting:

http://www.mixnmojo.com/galleries/ga...e=2474&goback=

Maybe you could as Purcell at: PO Box 2615 Petaluma, CA 94953-2615

By the way, Lagomorph01's "poster" is clearly a fake, it's cropped heavily on the top, it's cropped on the bottom, on the left - and even on the right.

The best I have is the page in the LucasArts Archieves manual:

PS:

Try that filter on the original:

Old 05-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #239
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Thanks for the links... I guess the black & white one (and colorwise the photo from Steve's framed original) might work to clear out some parts, like the "RON"-lines and the maybe to logo... I'll look into it.

Funnily enough I've already asked Steve about the painting a while back, but it looked like he avoided the subject and never answered about it.

Is the scan from the LA-Archives-manual already filtered (at least it looks like a median filter on it)? If yes, could you upload an unfiltered version? Furthermore, does the manual have an image of MI1 that shows more than the box?

PS:
I'll try NeatImage on your 1200dpi scan... although I've learned that it tends to have some problems with screen-patterns at that size.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #240
plamdi.com
Rookie

I looked at NeatImage on the original scan, and I feel the median filter works better. And no, the LucasArchives manual only has that image in it, it's quite low-quality, but I did manage to use it in my monkey island 2 dvd cover (I don't really like the back of the LEC mi2box... nothing against Purcell's painting but everything on top of it just looks cluttered).

[offtopic]Hahaha Steve (Scurvyliver) just emailed me back, the scans I was looking for were here all along: http://scurvy.adventuredevelopers.com/about.html why didn't I look harder?[/offtopic]

I might upload the original at a later time, it's not very good quality though (the reason why it looks OK on my cover is because it's been darkened so much).
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > ridiculously large cover scans etc