lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: ridiculously large cover scans etc
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #241
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Nice work guys. The only box art without the 'By Ron' line seems to be the FM-Towns version. Of course the chances of finding someone who owns it are slim, but you never know.

bgbennyboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 PM   #242
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Regarding MI1 it looks like there are boxes that show more of the artwork than all the others. For example the SegaCD-box:

It shows Guybrush down to his crotch, not that that does anything for me... ok, well, it does a little bit, since it would allow to paint out that silly "LucasFilm Games" logo of the regular boxes.

And here's the FM-Towns box and cover:

These might actually do... but as with MI2 the FM-Towns version is probably too rare to have it scanned.

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #243
plamdi.com
Rookie

The "FM towns version" would be roughly the same quality (at best) as the LEC-label box, and still suffers from the standard cropping and having the logo over the top 3rd of the painting. My scan of the Kixx box kept all the quality of the Kixx box, which is much better then any LEC-label box (they likley used a different company to print their boxes then LEC). I removed the LucasArts logo in 300dpi (using my own scan of the MI2 hintbook) - the lower quality is obscured because its dark, I couldn't get away with doing that on the MI1 box-art (though I did re-draw in some of it).

If it's quality you're after, the only way to get better quality is to use a higher quality source, and I don't know of any higher quality then the Kixx box (unless you get a print off the original painting). I don't think "cleaning" the entire image is the best idea anyway, because it will still be cropped from the original painting (which of course is normal for box-art, however a real poster of the painting would not be cropped - well it might have the "boarders" cropped off, but that'd be it). Personally I prefer quality.

With that said, I used the Kixx box because it would be the best quality, not because it was easiest. I have an eye for detail, and so I hevily edited the MI2 logo on the Kixx box. Here's my source image of the Kixx box (prepared to be edited into what you've seen as my final image):

There are 4 main changes to the logo from the original box, and my source image of the LEC box is here:

The main changes to the Kixx-box logo are: 1. it's squashed horizontally, 2. the "LeChuck's Revenge" text on the paper sits higher and is black, 3. The paper itself is both higher above "Monkey Island 2", and its curled ends have been cropped off, 4. Because this was a licensed release, "TM" is replaced with (R). The Monkey Island text is also more orange then the original yellow, and it's worth noting the entire logo is over the picture, whereas the top section extends outside the painting box on the original box (which is fine for an original release, but for re-releases, and if-you-like later legacy releases like say if was to be released officially in a DVD-keepcase then you'd expect the logo to be in the image).

The only two things I felt compelled to change was the placement of the LeChuck's text (because I think it's too high on the Kixx box, and too black), and removal of the (R).

My final looks like this:

But then, when I made the DVD cover I changed my mind about extending the paper:

The reason it's extended on my DVD cover and not on this image is because I did it after I had fiddled with the colours (and I didn't want to do it all again), so I just matched the paper colour and tacked it on in the 11th hour. I don't really think it looks any better like that, but that was the original way the logo was.

I think if I was to make another "Monkey Island Madness" cover, I would use the paper to re-create the "Monkey Island Madness" paper logo you see here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/mo...CoverId,72630/ (since they used it for that), and use an MI2 logo without the paper like this:

That would look quite good next to the MI1 logo as well. I probably could have cloned out "By Ron Gilbert", but as I said earlier it was providing a nice distraction from the blend between the Kixx scan and the LEC scan. I actually had half a mind to leave the full "A graphic adventure by Ron Gilbert" on it, but I really didn't think it looked very good like that!

In conclusion, I was aiming to create an image with no external border from the original Kixx scan, which showed as much of Purcell's painting as the LEC box did. Most of the changes were done with my "1200dpi" scan (I should note that I believe my scanner is incapable of true 1200x1200dpi, and I think scans at 1200x960dpi or something, but I could be wrong I'd have to read its manual - keep in mind I did all this 2 years ago now, and bought the scanner prior to that). I could have removed the "LucasArts" logo in 1200dpi by cloning it over, but I replaced it after resizing it because it was easier, and would actually be closer to the original then cloning.

For my own use it was perfect, and I absolutely guarantee it looks fantastic when printed:

--edit--

Here is my complete MI collection:

Not pictured is the SWOTL manual, 2x LucasArts Archives boxes, and the CMI discs. In total I have:

MI1CD - Monkey Island VGA, CD-ROM x2
MI1CDB - Monkey Island VGA, Madness CD-ROM
MI1VGA7 - Monkey Island VGA, 7-disk version (Classic Tales compilation) x2 (3.5", one complete 7 disks and 3 disks from my original version)
MI2CD - Monkey Island 2, Madness CD-ROM
MI2DISK - Monkey Island 2, Floppy disk version (5.25")
MI2DISKB - Monkey Island 2, Kixx version (3.5")

More specifically:

Monkey Island 1 VGA, part of "Classic Tales":
Just 5 surviving game disks from all four original games, non-working.
Dial-a-pirate code-wheel.
Original Instruction Manual (which covers Duck Tales, Rocketeer and Monkey Island).
I'm missing: the box, many of the floppies, the SWOTL manual, and both the SWOTL and Rocketeer codewheels.

Monkey Island 1 VGA, CD-ROM (complete!):
CD-ROM, which has many light marks but works flawlessly.
Original CD-ROM slip-cover, which is damaged.
Original manual, in excellent shape considering its age and use.

Monkey Island 2 (Kixx - complete!):
Original 5 disks, non-working.
Original manual, in good order.
Original box in good shape.

That is the original stuff from my childhood, the rest I bought later:

Classic Tales:

I bought a 2nd-hand copy of the game off ebay with the box in perfect condition. It has all the disks for all 4 games, and I had them backed up before it was posted, every disk worked flawlessly (but I used the CD-R backup).
It did not have any of the three codewheels, unfortunatly, nor did it have the main instruction manual (but it did have the SWOTL manual which I was missing). Thus I'm still missing the rocketeer and SWOTL codewheels from the set, when combined with my original set.

Monkey Island CD-ROM:

I bought a new-and-sealed CD-ROM version off ebay for about US$20 or so; which had a perfect-condition CD, the manual still has the blue "read first" back on it as well as a perfect-condition CD-slipcover. The manual has some scratches to it, despite being sealed when I bought it. I have kept this item in its entirety.

I bought a used "big-box" CD-ROM version off ebay; at that stage I was simply wanting to "complete" my collection. The big box was complete; and I've kept every part of it with the exception of the CD-ROM (game) which I re-sold as disc-only on eBay (2 copies is enough).

Monkey Island 2:

I managed to find in absolutly stunning condition a copy of Monkey Island 2 (original label) on floppy disk, and I couldn't resist adding it to the collection. The disks remain untested (when I bought the game I did have 2 5.25" floppy drives that I'd never tested and I figured it wouldn't be worth it). The box is in mint condition, and it's complete with mint condition manual, techincal reference card and it even has the original store reciept. It was sold with the Hint Book, also in perfect shape!

Monkey Island Atari ST version:

Again, this was complete (except for tha absence of its codewheel) and in excellent condition. I managed to back up the disks without a problem. Again, it has the manual, reference card and box.

Monkey Island Amiga version (Kixx box):

I bought this again because it had the Kixx box and was complete, and like the Atari ST version I backed up the disks. I sold the disks and codewheel on eBay and just kept the box and manual. (In case you're wondering, I used the back-up to give a CD-R copy of the Amiga disk images to the buyer, I didn't advertise it in the auction, but as I was selling it with MI2 for Amiga I wanted to make sure the buyer would have no problems).

LucasArts Archives:

I bougth several incomplete versions, and resold games individually. I have kept a complete set, not just including the Monkey Island Madness CD (that specific disc was brand new when I got it and is still in spotless condition), but the other 5 discs as well and even 2 boxes (additional discs and boxes aren't in photo).

Hintbooks:

I had previously purchased a MI2 hintbook, which was in equal condition to the one I have now (which is like brand-new), but I resold it as it was a budget-release that didn't use the red plastic reader (though the print quality was equal). The Monkey Island 1 Hint Book is more difficuilt to get, and I believe it came with the Kixx Amiga version which I purchased. I have both the "red readers", although only one is in the photo (the other was in the hintbook when photographed).

Monkey Island Bounty Pack Manual:

This is the CMI manual. I actually don't remember how or why I got this manual, but I do know that the version of CMI I own originally came from a big box and was sold to me without its box or manual (ie it does not have the PDF version on the disc).

Digitally I have all the English PC versions of Monkey Island 1 and 2 I know about:

Code:
MI1CD    - Monkey Island CD-ROM
MI1CDB   - Monkey Island on Madness CD-ROM (no copy protection)
MI1EGA4  - Monkey Island, 4-disk version
MI1EGA8  - Monkey Island, 8-disk version
MI1VGA4  - Monkey Island VGA, 4-disk version
MI1VGA4B - Monkey Island VGA, Classic-Adventures/PC-Gamer version (no copy protection)
MI1VGA7  - Monkey Island VGA, 7-disk version
MI1VGA8  - Monkey Island VGA, 8-disk version
MI2CD    - Monkey Island 2, Madness CD-ROM (no copy protection)
MI2DISK  - Monkey Island 2, floppy disk version
MI2DISKB - Monkey Island 2, Kixx version (no copy protection)
I even have installation files for many of these (not to mention that of course I legally own more then half of them, and if you exclude the technical differences the only version I don't actually own is Monkey Island EGA for PC, but I own it for the AtariST). I own all three MI2 versions. The only thing I would like to add to my collection is the rare big-box Monkey Island Madness (and I'd sell the disc off - I only need one disc).

Here's a little bonus scan for everyone to enjoy off one of my 3 Monkey1 CD-cases (I think it's my original one, but I could be wrong), click to download full-size (2.5M):

Last edited by plamdi.com; 05-16-2007 at 11:38 PM.
plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #244
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Nice images - and nice collection! There was a time when I would literally have killed for all those items. Fortunately for me (and you ) that time has passed. But I'm still jealous

Anyway I do have the SEGA CD version of Monkey Island, and by extraordinary coincidence I will be at my parents' house this weekend, for the first and possibly only time this year before Christmas. So I'll get it, bring it here, and scan it. Then we can all marvel at Guybrush's crotch

I can't recall now, but if I find any curios among my collection that are worth a scan, I'll get some images.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #245
plamdi.com
Rookie

Thanks, you'll probably be jealous when I tell you that over the life of collecting it from the money I made back re-selling the stuff I didn't want I probably made back all the money and broke about even. I mean I bought at least 4 or 5 incomplete Lucas-Archives from eBay America, and when I had them sent I'd ask for the discs only... I would buy at about US$40, sell MI Madness for A$50-60, any other games for $10-20, etc; and in the end I kept a complete set. lol. I got two new copies of MI Madness from LEC free (the first time I wanted a replacement for my MI1 disks... the 2nd time I wanted a replacement for my MI2 disks - they didn't listen to me, I wanted my version, and they sent me copies of Madness CD's instead!) I gave one to a friend, and I've kept the other.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 AM   #246
elTee
beatnik

I certainly haven't broken even, because I've never sold anything. And I only have one or two rarities, and nothing major, so there's no point me selling anything for a long time yet. I'm not a collector anymore, but I was for a couple of years (about five years ago, I suppose.) It's the only thing I've ever really collected, and it was fun

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #247
plamdi.com
Rookie

Well, I was collecting at a good time. There was enough supply in America for me to import anything at a reasonable price, and enough demand in Australia to sell nice and high. I was really, really pleased to (finally) find Classic tales. It was in a lot with some other games as well, and I convinced the seller to sell to me and he closed the auction early. I only wanted ClassicTales, but only wanted to sell as a lot. I agreed to his price, he agreed to CD-R everything before sending. So (thankfully) I didn't have to take a chance on loosing the fantastic set (remember that I actually did well re-selling most of the stuff - The Adventures of Willy Beamish sold very well, I think I made the money back)! This is what I bought:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday
Duck Tales
Monkey Island Disks
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe Disks
Terminator 2 Judgment Day
The Adventures of Willy Beamish
The Incredible Machine
The Rocketeer
The Simpsons Bart Vs The Space Mutants
Treasure Trap
WWF WrestleMania

And the only things I kept were Classic Tales (MI1, Duck Tales, Rocketeer, SWOTL), and The Incredible Machine. At least I don't think I still have any of the others. None of the other games were a part of a compilation (don't think anyway).

I didn't have the MI1 files digitally, and after so many years I got them - all of them. I couldn't believe it. I certainly wasn't getting them off the old 3 surviving disks from when I was a kid! Original file creation dates are on the CD-R too, so I never bothered using the original disks:

Code:
 Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 1
000      LFL              8,357 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
901      LFL              2,264 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
902      LFL              3,335 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
903      LFL              2,019 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
904      LFL              4,368 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
DISK01   LEC            599,209 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
INSTALL  BAT              3,227 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
MONKEY   EXE             69,589 21/02/1991  11:27 AM
_INSTALL BAT              2,431 19/02/1991  03:06 PM
               9 File(s)        694,799 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 2
DISK02   LEC            655,465 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
               1 File(s)        655,465 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 3
DISK03   LEC            641,088 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
               1 File(s)        641,088 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 4
DISK04   LEC            689,124 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
               1 File(s)        689,124 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 5
DISK05   LEC            575,735 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
               1 File(s)        575,735 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 6
DISK06   LEC            615,087 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
               1 File(s)        615,087 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 7
DISK07   LEC            666,332 15/02/1991  12:00 PM
               1 File(s)        666,332 bytes
Old 05-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #248
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
I absolutely love the color correction you did on this one:

I think I'll try to match it for my poster. Thanks for all the detailed info!

And by the way, I am still desparately looking for a high-quality scan of this one:

And, since no one seems to answer, another EDIT:

Here's my finished retouched artwork I'll be using for a poster print. I've color corrected it to match Plamdi's version, plus I've retouched the "by RON GILBERT"-line using the photo of Purcell's framed original. Furthermore I've painted out the stupid monkey and the "2", again with the help of the photo (for color) and the black&white-scan of the archives-manual (for texture), and reconstructed the missing parts of the logo using the MI1-logo.

And here's an ANIMATED GIF comparing the before and after.

Aaaaand, again... EDIT:

After a few hours I've finally got myself a MI1-poster:

The images at The LucasArts Museum, and especially the scans of the FM-Towns version, were the most important sources for painting out and retouching the text in front of the ship and the skull, as well as the LucasfilmGames-logo and the palmtree. I've color corrected the image to match the color of the FM-Towns artwork, because it looks much more exciting in these darker shades than the 90s pop art color of most of the other boxes. I've extended the sky a bit to fit my planned 60 x 80 cm format for the posters.

Last edited by Laserschwert; 05-19-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #249
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Obviously editing a post doesn't mark a thread as updated, so maybe that's why suddenly no one posted anymore. So, here's a NEW POST!!

My posters at full resolution of 60 x 80 cm at 200dpi (I guess it's enough for a poster):
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

The MI2-artwork is slightly cropped on the sides, to match the 3:4-ratio I wanted for the posters.

By the way, here are both "before and after"-comparisons:
MI 1
MI 2

Last edited by Laserschwert; 05-19-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #250
ssdsa
Rookie

Your posters of MI1 and MI2 look really great. 4724 x 6301 pixels - wow!
I wonder if the MI2 poster is going to be rather dark when actually printed as a poster.
Do you plan to have those images printed soon? What service are you going to use?
ssdsa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #251
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdsa
Your posters of MI1 and MI2 look really great. 4724 x 6301 pixels - wow!
I wonder if the MI2 poster is going to be rather dark when actually printed as a poster.
Do you plan to have those images printed soon? What service are you going to use?
Yeah, I guess they are both a little dark (my TFT fools me regularly)... increasing the gamma just a bit (which might require increasing the saturation as well, since it goes down when brightening the image) should do the trick. Since you're from Cologne as well: I'm printing at PosterXXL.de ... I have used them before, and the quality is really good. Although my maximum size has been 30x45cm for now... but the MI-posters are going to be 60x80cm... I'm sure they'll look stunning (of course it would be best to have some piratey carved wooden frame for it, just like Purcell did it with his original, but I guess the regular IKEA-frame will have to do ).

Old 05-20-2007, 12:00 AM   #252
plamdi.com
Rookie

Yeah, here... (but really you could have just used it off my cover at http://plamdi.com/wotc/tales.htm) and hey look at this cool SWF dial-a-pirate I found: http://www.djgallagher.com/games/pc/...l_a_pirate.php

Also, I've been creating a hybrid front from my source material, it looks like this:

And is almost ready...

Last edited by plamdi.com; 05-20-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #253
plamdi.com
Rookie

Alright, I'm done. Saved at 85 JPEG quality I got 3.06M (not half bad for an 84.6M BMP). Is suitible for poster printing. It has not been downsampled and I used a combination of filters (including median ). Enjoy.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #254
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

Thanks for the great stuff you guys have made.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #255
plamdi.com
Rookie

Bonus scan, Part-2:

Also, to Laserschwert, I've noticed your recoluration changed too much blue (I fixed this when I did my cover). Look at the buttons on Lechuck's shirt, Leckuck's right hand, look at the blue hue on Guybrush's shirt - and on the guybrush-doll pants. I also agree with ssdsa that you've made your image a little too dark.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #256
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plamdi.com
Bonus scan, Part-2:

Also, to Laserschwert, I've noticed your recoluration changed too much blue (I fixed this when I did my cover). Look at the buttons on Lechuck's shirt, Leckuck's right hand, look at the blue hue on Guybrush's shirt - and on the guybrush-doll pants. I also agree with ssdsa that you've made your image a little too dark.
Thanks for the scans... although I've found the paper-banner-ends on MojoArt... and somehow I didn't want to bother matching them, so I dropped the idea of adding them.

As for color correction, yeah, I've noticed that my TFT showed the images brighter than they appear when printed, so setting the gamma to 1.3 helped it (and no saturation boost needed, or it would be too saturated). By the way, I like the way the blue-shift works on the other elements, since in most cases - like the buttons or the pants - it's not the color of the object, but a reflection or ambient light of the surroundings (which are darker blue now, and although a darker reflection/ambient lighting should be less saturated or show more of the objects own color, I'll leave them as they are).

Old 05-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #257
Scummbuddy

I actually like the longer paper curls on the ends of the LeChuck's Revenge... any chance of getting those added back on for a second printing?

Scummbuddy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #258
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Maybe some other time.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #259
plamdi.com
Rookie

I've also completely forgotten to mention about the "D" in ISLAND on the MI2 Kixx box (ie, there's too much yellow under the monkey's tail!) Not that it's seemed to matter. I was actually really pleased with my "White Label" cover because it was so quick and simple, but a great cover! If I had it to do over I'd be tempted to replace the screenshots on the back with the CD-version (or maybe just the big one), and the same goes for the Monkey1 cover.

I've put a whole bunch of stuff up at http://plamdi.deviantart.com/ now (mainly my SW-covers source stuff). Enjoy!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #260
plamdi.com
Rookie

I've just put up the full resolution of the Monkey 1 clean-cover I did. To reiterate:

At 5197 x 6583 here is the M1 box:

And, at 4867 x 6976 here is the hybrid MI2 box:

I'm just uploading my old "copy-protection generators"... they only work with Internet Explorer, but I'll see if I can convert them to he cross-browser compatible (I'm very good with Javascript!) Anyhow, enjoy them as they are:

Monkey Island 1 Copy Protection Generator
Monkey Island 2 Copy Protection Generator

I remember how people complained about them on the old mojo forum years ago - and I was like "what, it's not like you can specifically choose what combination comes up!" ... they also complained about my "cracks" on http://monkeyisland.fanspace.com/files.htm, and I was like "what, it's LEC's original stuff - I just made it so people could choose to change their version". And they threatened to complain to Fanspace and LEC (and probably did) and blah blah blah, lol. I don't see any other pages on the internet documenting these technical differences, they should be thankful I researched the information and everything! Also, this is the only page I know of that still has FOMI and all of Matt Shaw’s games (that LEC put a stop to) available for download. I never took down the files, and I know Matt says on ShawArts that "There are no copies online any longer" – but the truth is they’re all on my original website, they have been since the 12th of December 2000, I've never taken them down – and I'll just re-upload the entire page elsewhere should that old page someday disappear!

Last edited by plamdi.com; 05-22-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #261
plamdi.com
Rookie

Okay, here's a request (sent to me in a PM) codewheel scans (they've not been down-sampled - I've marked the centre of each with a black cross should anyone actually want to print these):

If anyone has the codewheels for SWOTL or for The Rocketeer I'd be very interested in the scans.

As an extra little scan, here are the codes for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (never played it myself, but when I briefly owned it I scanned the code tables). It originally used a red reader to read the codes - this would have guarded against photocopying, but not digital scanning! I converted it all to greyscale (and the full version is print quality). I do not have the original colour scan.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:52 AM   #262
HenryJonesJr.

Anyone care to scan the Book of Patterns from LOOM?
HenryJonesJr. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2007, 05:07 AM   #263
elTee
beatnik

I would do that but all my LucasArts stuff is a long way away. And I forgot to bring the SEGA Monkey Island back! Damn, just realised.

Anyway I'm not so sure about uploading scans of these copy-protection devices. I mean for all intents and purposes, yes, it's easy for someone to download a torrent of Monkey Island and then stick it into ScummVM and never have to worry about copy-protection, but I still don't think LucasArts would appreciate us doing this. I'll leave them up for now because, well, this is not a really big deal (it's not like we're posting Vista activation codes on 'MicroForums') but perhaps you could obscure the actual dates on the codewheels or something?

Just a thought, we don't want to incur the wrath of the powers-that-be from the Star Wars side of the forums.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 05-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #264
plamdi.com
Rookie

I think if someone went to all the trouble of making their own code-wheel to play a pirated game then they probably deserve to play it (this swf one is far more practical). And I suppose if your code wheel looks like my old one:

Then you may well want to make a new one! And yes, I do have a spotless one, but I have no SWOTL or Rocketeer codewheels (should that mean I can't play those games, even though I technically own two legal copies of each?) I've never actually played SWOTL (I've probably launched the game though), but I did manage to crack my way around the rocketeer.

I think their usefulness date has long-since past.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #265
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Is that BLOOD????

Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #266
HenryJonesJr.

I legally own a copy of Monkey Island on 3.5 disks, i lost the code wheel a long time ago, and i don't think its fair that i just cant obtain a copy. Same thing happened with Loom, only god knows where the original Book of Patterns is.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #267
plamdi.com
Rookie

Quote:
Is that BLOOD????
Can you tell I got a lot of use out of it? ;-)
Quote:
Book of Patterns
I seem to have found it: http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.625

And jsut because I can, I converted the original purple dial-a-pirate into a gray one because I think it makes it look better. You be the judge:

Last edited by plamdi.com; 05-24-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #268
HenryJonesJr.

Wow thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 02:14 AM   #269
plamdi.com
Rookie

Introducing every fan's wet-dream - 12CM CODEWHEELS!!!!

• FULLY FUNCTIONAL - JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL!
  • THE SAME SIZE AS A CD - THINK OF THE CONVINENCE!
  • FITS INSIDE A REGULAR CD CASE ALONG WITH YOUR DISC - NOW YOU CAN TAKE THE GAME TO YOUR FRIEND'S!
  • FULL, GLORIOUS COLOUR - DAZZLE YOUR MATES!!
  • THINK OF THE RESPECT YOU'LL EARN WHEN YOU ARE THE BRAND NEW OWNER OF ONE OF THESE FINE PRODUCTS!

ORDER YOURS TODAY FOR 3 LOW PAYMENTS OF ONLY $29.95!

Yep, they're real, all this talk about the codewheels got me excited! To reproduce results print previously supplied JPEGS at 512DPI.

Last edited by plamdi.com; 05-25-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #270
elTee
beatnik

Haha, I love it. It serves no practical purpose of course, but very nice job!

I'm going to have to get on with some LucasCovers work this weekend. Keep it up!

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 05-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #271
plamdi.com
Rookie

I'm going to complete something I was going to do a long time ago now - make printable versions of the manuals. I've done the first thing - converting the codes to a traditional instruction manual key:

(original is 400DPI)

(original is 300DPI)

They're in that shape to fit in a CD-case... hehehehe. I've printed them out, and they are readable. These would be on the back-cover of a CD-manual (or the back of a DVD-insert-manual) for convenience. Yes I know it's useless - but so is making the manual, I'm just making it "complete".
Old 05-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #272
HenryJonesJr.

plamdi.com, whats a good paper to print those scans you provided? what kind did you use for those disc sized ones?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #273
plamdi.com
Rookie

This is what I used: http://www.jpldisplays.com.au/catalo...roducts_id=322 but if I didn't have it lying around I would have bought thicker matt photo paper (it's still adequate, though).

I have a question for everyone, considering that I plan on doing manuals - are there any really high-quality free professional fonts I can use; otherwise I'll continue to use News Gothic - the only draw-back being that to avoid any legal problems I can't embed the font into PDF, I have to use images (which will still print fine, but it's less work and better overall to use plain text)? This is what News Gothic looks like, it's a common commercial font and I really like it (below is the standard and condensed versions - I can also use light and bold):

http://foxtel.com.au/ for isntance uses News Gothic for all their printed material.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #274
plamdi.com
Rookie

Here's an interesting anomaly, this is the original VGA reference card (as taken from pages 38 and 39 in my classic tales instruction book), it's an exact copy of the stand-alone reference card (except for the page numbers):

Notice anything missing? The complete version should read:

Use the ENTER or 5 keys to select objects on the screen for use in the sentence line, as well as to select a lone of dialogue in conversation. Press the TAB key to use a highlighted verb with the object the cursor is pointing to. You can use a mouse for cursor control if you have installed a compatible mouse driver. The left mouse button corresponds to the ENTER key on your keyboard. The right mouse button corresponds to the TAB key on your keyboard. If you have both a mouse and a joystick installed, you may select one as your controller by holding down the CTRL key and pressing m for mouse or j for joystick. You may also re-calibrate your joystick if the cursor is drifting across the screen by centring the joystick and pressing CTRL j
Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #275
Scummbuddy

plamdi, you're worried about copywright infinging with fonts, but here you are giving away codes to play games?

Just kinda silly to me, I guess.

Scummbuddy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #276
plamdi.com
Rookie

Misusing commercial fonts would be piracy, as would distributing full versions of games which the copyright holders do not want distributed. Another difference is that fonts are still sold (not to mention they're worth much more then PG games):

http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detai...ic&SCOPE=Fonts

Anyway, I believe there's a way to embed text in PDF as vector graphics, I'll be looking into that option further.

On another note, I've recreated the two MI1 screenshots (from the manual):

I already made the first two MI2 ones (I think the thir one - ie the one where he's waling in the woods will just be a simple cap - but who knows it could well be from a pre-beta!).

Here are the MI2 ones:

The second one isn't perfect, but I think it'll do. The first one is pixel-for-pixel perfect.

Last edited by plamdi.com; 05-28-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 AM   #277
plamdi.com
Rookie

Transcript of MI1 manual complete. I'll be converting it to a format more like the CD-ROM book, and there are some modifications I need to do to it (ie removing all references of a "reference card" in the way that is consistent with the CD-ROM manual), however I would appreciate it if some of you could proof-read the txt file:

http://plamdi.com/transcript_mi1.txt

Also, I concluded the sentance line in the first MI1 screenshot must be highlighted, as the screen is moving, but if you see any other errors in the MI1 screengrabs, LMK. I'll be adding the numbers to the manual itself.

Here are scans, if you need them (you can right click save-as):

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/o4njh9ow/2.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/23z734c5/3.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/hzh1zx9y/4.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/md7rwrbk/5.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/yrb64s4f/6.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/xdobhugt/7.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/ssvrn6o5/8.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/j1a7tbyr/eula.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/tabasf6n/ref_front.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/irvu2mk/ref_reverse.jpg

I'm not planning on doing the back cover or CD-ROM EULA.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 AM   #278
plamdi.com
Rookie

I noticed some errors while editing it to be universal (while using the CD-ROM manual)... I'd really appreciate it if anyone can proof-read it. I've added a couple of things here and there, but there may still be more typos - spelling/punctuation errors (including misspelled names, incorrect capitalization, etc). The paragraphs are not
going to be formatted like this in the final version, I've just done it that way because
it's easy to compare to the CD-ROM manual (which I've not scanned) - and the first
one is easy to compare to the floppy disk manual.

I haven't made any mention of F1 for the CD-ROM mode, I don't think it needs to be mentioned as F5 also works. I'm going to keep some of the manual's inconsistencies - like S:/D: and ENTER/RETURN. I've made a replica image for the keys diagram:

Although, all the text (and numbers) will be removed and replaced with whatever fon't I'm using in the manual (or possibly a font more suitable for a real keyboard). And yes I do know that the arrows look pixilated in all versions of this diagram... I'm not replicating that.

Here's the updated text:

http://plamdi.com/transcript_mi1.txt

Oh by the way, don't read into the seemingly-sporadic use of "big" letters; in the CD-ROM manual they're used only if they're a new section that appears at the top of the page - this is how I plan to do it in the final manual. I also mentioned the previously-undocumented feature of selecting a different HDD to save on for CD-ROM customers (using language consistent with the manual - I wouldn't really put "hard disk volume" if I was writing the whole thing).

I didn't want to do two-lots of command keys, and the inconsistent use of colons is preserved.

The other thing worth noting is that the floppy-only commands:

Q - scrolls the inventory up
A - scrolls the inventory down

do work in the CD-ROM version, but only for speech and not inventory (for instance, when sword fighting there are scrollable responses). That will continue to remain an "undocumented feature".

And finally, the debug-modes will be given their rightful place in the manual.

I also tested an interesting feature of the debug modes (and yes, I did complete Monkey Island 1 today in about an hour), which allows the circumvention of copy-protection. For instance, the CD-ROM version of MI1 checks if the CD-ROM is in the drive (the Madness .exe launcher is cracked to ignore this command), but using a simple boot parameter will skip this check, for instance: Monkey 1. The only downfall to this is that you won't be able to see the title sequence, and you'll have to load a game if you want to play normally. MI2 also allows its debug mode to be entered into before copy-protection is completed, and so again using a boot-param you could skip it (this of course, is entirely trivial for people who use SCUMMVM). Another interesting this is that SCUMMVM does not emulate the "Reposition Instantly" command at all!

Finally, and most bizarre of all is the inconsistencies in the Monkey Island Madness Manual:

F5 - Save or Load a Game (this is valid, but the official command key for this version is F1!)
CTRL-S - Sound Control - this is not a valid command in this version of the game, or in Monkey2 for that matter! It's only valid in the floppy versions of Monkey1! Even more troubling is that the real commands that are valid; [ and ] for louder/softer aren't even mentioned!
CTRL-R - Reposition Instantly - this is not a valid command in either game, it's only valid in the floppy versions of Monkey1!

The quick-start guide also incorrectly tells of how to start Monkey1, it says to type: CD \MONKEY and then MONKEY1... the text file on the disc itself has it the right way around (ie CD \MONKEY1 and then MONKEY). Pressing full-stop "." to clear dialogue is valid in Monkey1 CD-ROM, although it's undocumented. I'm still deciding whether to put it into the function keys list (and I probably will actually).

--edit--

It seems that (as I've never actually noticed before) the README.EXE digital manuals for MI1 and 2 also contain these inconsistencies and more! It appears to be scanned from the LucasArts Classic Adventures manual - I actually have the installation files for this version, which confirm that it is the VGA 4-disk version without the copy protection, thus it's completely inaccurate for the CD-ROM version! The saddest thing about it, is that most copies of the Madness CD appear to have been distributed without any printed instructions!

Furthermore the MI2 manual contained within README.EXE is a scan off the standard MI2 instructional book, and does not even include any part of its the quick start card! To put this in perspective, we know from the scans of the classic adventures manual that everything relevant from the quick-start card was edited-into the manual. This is also how the CD-ROM manual was done (why not just scan that?) The compilation manual I have for the Classic Tales - which includes 3 game manuals printed into one manual - includes an exact copy of the reference card (with it's missing section missing) and an exact copy of the manual (except that it doesn't include the credits page or the legal mumbo-jumbo on the back). There's no reason why the MI2 instructions had to be so poorly presented on the Madness disc.

Last edited by plamdi.com; 05-31-2007 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #279
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

Not graphical in any way, but I made Monkey Island 2's wheel into a little HTML page which uses JavaScript to calculate the recipes. The names of the ingredients are in German since I keep forgeting to get the English names...

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #280
plamdi.com
Rookie

I like it! You even used the red boxes which was how the German codewheel was!

I've noticed still more errors in my transcript! Please if anyone has the time, proof read one of the uploaded drafts!

I'm currently preparing everything; the pages are looking good (you can see some "spelling errors" underlined, heh):

the cover looks good (but then again, it's made up entirely of images):

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > ridiculously large cover scans etc