lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: ridiculously large cover scans etc
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 AM   #281
plamdi.com
Rookie

Okay, I've given up on trying to convert the text... embedding fonts is still a grey-area, but there's nothing I can do about it so I give you my completed Monkey Island 1 manual (the page dimensions are formatted to fit in a DVD case if it were to actually be printed)...

UPDATE!

I've now made the Monkey Island 2 manual as well. I've completed both manuals - for Monkey1 and for Monkey2...

Enjoy:

http://plamdi.com/wotc/tales.htm

The page size is 12 x 18cm - the correct size for a DVD booklet. You can't tell me they don't crap all over LEC's official "M1M2DOCS.EXE" 3.83MB Monstrosity! My M1 and M2 PDF’s together are less then half the size of LEC’s .EXE – and are full colour, and full print-quality!

I found a good PDF of the CMI manual too: http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.2203 much better then "official" PDF version (which is 15.6MB, and not printable quality!) That one is just 6MB and is printable quality (not the greatest quality, mind you - but printable nonetheless).

I guess I'll take this opportunity to note that all images used in my two recreated PDF are full print quality, and both my manuals are less then 1MB in size - and aside from the logos (and screenshots), none of the text in my manuals are pictures!

Last edited by plamdi.com; 06-07-2007 at 03:47 AM.
plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #282
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Two more (again at 60 x 80 cm, 200dpi):

Downloads:
Sam & Max Hit the Road
The Dig

Enjoy!

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #283
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Those are really great Laser, good work! We're working on LucasCovers behind the scenes as we speak, so the more clean covers we have the better.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #284
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Two more:

Downloads:

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (60 x 80 cm, 200dpi)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (60 x 80 cm, 200dpi)

Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 AM   #285
japigia
Lurker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
Two more:

Downloads:

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (60 x 80 cm, 200dpi)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (60 x 80 cm, 200dpi)
I've joined finally this forum just in order to thank you for your great works. The Infernal Machine Artwork has always been one of my favorites! Keep going on!
japigia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #286
Guitarbrush
Lurker

Hello, everyone!

It's been only recently that I found this forum and it's really fun to read and view all that stuff concerning MI and other Lucas Adventures.

It was about 3 years ago when my old passion for those adventures rewoke again and i began to buy original (I only had German) versions of the Lucas Games beginning with Maniac Mansion up to Monkey 4. I worked on those Cover Scans to make myself DVD-Covers for all the games, but I never thought that some guys from around the world would do the same.

In the future, whenever I make something monkeyislandish, that I think you guys might be interested in, I will post it here.

@Laserschwert: Great work, you did on the Covers. For my 'wall of fame', I only covered the 'system requirements' on the covers with stickers reading the year the game was released in. Und schöne Grüße aus dem hohen Norden...
Guitarbrush is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #287
Guitarbrush
Lurker

I just discovered that I once made a vector graphic out of the MI Title for T-Shirt-making purposes. Anyone interested? I have an Illustrator or PDF file.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #288
plamdi.com
Rookie

Yes please.
plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #289
Guitarbrush
Lurker

Here you are:

http://rapidshare.com/files/45185939/MI_title.pdf.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/45186192/MI_title.ai.html
Old 08-05-2007, 01:51 AM   #290
xChri5x
Rookie

That Sam & Max poster seems a bit faded in it's colour.
The image on the right has just a little too much colour but I think maybe something in the middle would be perfect.
xChri5x is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #291
gulfcoastfella
Lurker

Quote:
Quick test:

So have the leather/textured dvd covers for Loom, The Dig, etc been dropped? I would totally pay for a complete, color-coded collection of dvd covers as was shown quite some time ago!

Quote:
Oh, i remember the poster idea, sorry... just ignore me being a wise-ass.

Now, my color ideas:

(I avoided reading your list first, Spiffy... but most of them are the same as yours... interesting... and a little scary... )
I'm pretty talented with PaintShopPro; if Laserschwert or someone wanted to pass me the original layered covers for one of the MI or IJ games, I could run with the format and complete the collection. I know Laserschwert has other things going on in his life. Seriously, let me know!
gulfcoastfella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2007, 10:01 PM   #292
gulfcoastfella
Lurker

So not knowing if the previous dvd covers collection have been abandoned or not, I'm trying to figure out what I can come up with (as much like Laserschwert's designs as possible). I threw this together just to see what it would look like (this is all I've done so far):

Any opinions or advice would be great.

Laters...
gulfcoastfella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #293
Rapp Scallion

Laserschwert: Is the MI2-covers to download colour fixed now, or do I have to fix that myself? And is there any possibilities for different versions? I like the long curls in the "LeChuck's Revenge"-paper myself. I kinda miss the stupid monkey too :P Thanks for your work! I will try to get a poster print soon

Edit: Wow, only €9.99 on posterxxl.de for 80x60. I have to use that one somehow.

Last edited by Rapp Scallion; 09-09-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Rapp Scallion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #294
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Why did you make this again?

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #295
Rapp Scallion

I just noticed when you have uploaded the picture to posterxxl that you have the option to adjust the image to fit, or just let it be. I thought the picture already was adjusted to 80x60, but it doesn't look like that when I change between the options. I should just leave it unadjusted to get the best results?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #296
Sp0tted
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp Scallion
I just noticed when you have uploaded the picture to posterxxl that you have the option to adjust the image to fit, or just let it be. I thought the picture already was adjusted to 80x60, but it doesn't look like that when I change between the options. I should just leave it unadjusted to get the best results?
I know they look great @ 24x36 (inches).

I printed the Sam and Max one, and it looks great! No pixelation at all.
Sp0tted is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2007, 05:55 AM   #297
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp Scallion
You can get the color-corrected ones in THIS thread.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #298
Rapp Scallion

I wondered about the zuschnitt-option. I notice a difference in the preview picture between zuschneiden and einpassen. I thought the picture already was 80x60, and there wouldn't be any difference between the options. What can be the reason of the difference then? Thanks for the link. And which option should I go with?

Last edited by Rapp Scallion; 09-21-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #299
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Yeah, it already is at 60x80, so I guess it's only a difference in how the site displays it (it's only one pixel after all). I chose "einpassen", so it'll definitely be 60x80.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #300
Rapp Scallion

Okay, thanks!
Old 04-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #301
elTee
beatnik

Because I'm so busy with all my uni work, I've obviously wasted this afternoon (and this morning) playing around with designs for a range of DVD-cases for the LucasArts adventures, based on Laserschwert's excellent 'cleaned' artworks. The concept is: Simplicity. The front-cover is the original box artwork, but without the borders etc., and the back-cover is the original back-cover as cropped as I can make it. For the spine/side of the cases I've tried to emulate features of the original box designs, including the border pattern and the 'IBM' (or whatever) label that originally intruded onto the front of the box.

I'd appreciate some feedback - these are just how the designs stand at the moment; it's really the side panel that I'd most like to hear about. Do they work? I've only got scans of the box-sides from the two Monkey Island games, so I've kind of had to guess what the other games are like based on the colours of their 'IBM panel' (all the boxes I originally scanned live safely at my parents' house.) Also they're pretty rough at the moment - especially Monkey Island 2 and Day of the Tentacle, where it's clear I've just tiled a smaller section to fill out the space. If anyone can send me some scans of the sides of the boxes (or even just photos for reference) I'd appreaciate it

Anyway there's no rush for advice here because progress can only happen at the speed that Laserschwert produces his 'cleaned' artworks; I'm not able to produce images of that quality on my own. These are the games I've done covers for so-far; Laserschwert has also done cleaned versions of The Dig and Sam and Max, but I haven't got round to those yet.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #302
Lagomorph01
Rookie

I'll give you some advice, as I completed a study in graphic design.

I'll start with the side panels.
I quite like the art from the games where there is no text. Although the mirror effect in the Zak McKracken one has got to go.
As for the Indiana Jones one, I'd make the side a little darker, it doesn't quite match the palet for the front and back.
I'd also put the protagonists head a little bit down and the Lucas Arts logo a little bit up so you would be able to see like half a cm of the underlying background.

The fronts I quite like. Although I'd move the Zak McKracken one a little to the left so you'd be able to see the end of the arm of the noseglasses.

The backs are way to cropped.
Almost all of the text is on the edge of the box, which is a really bad thing in graphic design. The text should be at least again half a cm away from any edge.
It also looks quite bad that you tried cut the frame of the picture.
A better idea would be to make the whole picture a little smaller so it can fit the whole box and put some more background behind it.

I do like the effort though and I stimulate your idea to make more!
Go get 'm Polecat!

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Lagomorph01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #303
elTee
beatnik

Moving the LucasArts/headshots a little is something I've played around with, and then forgotten about. You're right that they would look better given a slight border with the top/bottom, I'll move them around when I solve the problem of getting a decent texture for the background of the side panels.

And yes, I see what you mean about the back covers. It's a pain because the boxes are a lot wider than a DVD case, so in order to fit them into the template I have to lose a lot horizontally and, in the case of Zak McKracken at least, gain some vertically as well. There are a few solutions to this - one is to, as you say, just reduce the entire size and carry the side-panel pattern across to fill in the vertical gaps. The problem with this is that the back cover will then have a really big section at the top and the bottom that's essentially wasted space.

The alternative to this is to re-construct the back covers myself. This won't be easy - I'm not very talented at this sort of stuff, and I don't have a great eye for it either - by this I mean, adding the text myself instead of treating it as an image to manipulate etc. Reconstructing the in-game shots wouldn't be difficult, but this route makes the whole job a lot harder altogether.

It'll be easier for me to knock up an example actually.

The red areas on the back panel represent the empty space due to the fact that I've used the entire of the back of the boxed version of the game. I've also highlighted the LucasArts logo, which represents the kind of thing on the back of the box that I'm trying to crop out. Some of the boxes suffer more from that kind of thing than others - US GOLD stickers etc. - and as much as I like the school of thought that says fake DVD cases should have barcodes and logos just like real ones, it's kind of counter to what I wanted to do with these ones.

What do you think?

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 04-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #304
ssdsa
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTee
Because I'm so busy with all my uni work, I've obviously wasted this afternoon (and this morning) playing around with designs for a range of DVD-cases for the LucasArts adventures, based on Laserschwert's excellent 'cleaned' artworks. The concept is: Simplicity. The front-cover is the original box artwork, but without the borders etc., and the back-cover is the original back-cover as cropped as I can make it. For the spine/side of the cases I've tried to emulate features of the original box designs, including the border pattern and the 'IBM' (or whatever) label that originally intruded onto the front of the box.

I'd appreciate some feedback - these are just how the designs stand at the moment; it's really the side panel that I'd most like to hear about.
Nice! I like your concept of simplicity, and that you concentrate on the existing artwork and don't add too much "foreign" graphics to the DVD-cases.
The side panels are the best I've seen so far. Really cool how you integrated a little icon at the top and the game title in the proper graphics style! Although I really prefer the side panel graphics that are unique (MI1, Indy4) compared to those that are obviously mirrored halves (Zak, MI2, DOTT). I'm looking forward to seeing the improved versions when you get some scans.
ssdsa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #305
elTee
beatnik

I've been looking into the problem with the back panels. I think it'll be at least possible to re-create some of them in a thinner DVD-case size. Some of the games will be easier than others - these are the ones I think I'll be able to do, anyway:

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken
Last Crusade
Loom
Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max
The Dig
Curse of Monkey Island

As for Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and Escape From Monkey Island, I might have significant trouble. The problem arises from the individual elements of each panel, and how easy it is to paint over or re-create them. I'm not very good at this at all; I'm the definition of 'amateur' in fact. With Monkey Island 2 there are at least images of Steve Purcell's painting without the text/images laid over it, so it's theoretically possible to fill in the necessary areas with those images - although I may have trouble matching the colour, and the resolution of those images is much less than the scans I'm working with.

Full Throttle and Grim Fandango in particular are very 'busy' images and beyond my abilities to reduce in width. To demonstrate what I'm on about I've knocked up a quick version of the Curse of Monkey Island back panel, which was actually an easy one because the only art that appears on the back is the map from the opening titles of the game, which was very easy to isolate.

Original box image

Re-creation image

As you can see the re-creation is thinner than the original image, which makes it the correct dimensions for a DVD cover. It's a rough example, it needs a bit of work to make it match up with the original image a little more, but I think that it proves this is possible in some cases.

What do you think?

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #306
elTee
beatnik

I think I've settled on a final design for the Secret of Monkey Island DVD - opinions please! If there's nothing wrong with it I'll move onto the rest. As you can see I've gone entirely towards an 'original box' motif now - minus the universally despised 'IBM' sticker on the front cover, which I did replicate but I'm not going to use.

Final design:

Final design with system requirements (bad idea)

To show a rough idea of what the side panels look like when placed next to each other I've been using photos of the actual boxes for reference - see below.

(Freddie's former collection)

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #307
QueZTone
mind il creativo

cool i like 'm LT!

i agree with everything Lagomorph said btw, his hints appear to have become very helpful in perfecting the design, kudos

i'd go for a mugshot of Bobbin Threadbare instead of the island though, or maybe a swan... perhaps you can use the cover of the japanese version for a pic of Bobbin for that Also the year stamp, perhaps making them so the striped border continues onto each dvd cover properly?

QueZTone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #308
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Wow, great work Eltee, the Monkey Island 1 design really has improved a lot!

There are only two things I can think of to improve it.

The first one is for the back.
I like the fact that you've selected the whole picture of the back box and put it over a background.
The only thing I don't like about the back is the space that's left on the top and the bottom. There's just nothing there.
An idea would be to work the artwork a little bit to the top until it's about as far from the edge as it is at the sides.
The next thing you do is you put the system requirements from your second design in a broader square and put that under the artwork.
It's how they do it with most games or dvd's.

The other thing is just a little thing at the side of the box.
I love the fact that you've put a face of the protagonist in the top.
The only thing I'd do was to put a little bit more space on the sides so it doesn't completely touch the edge.

Other than that I love 'm!
I'd buy 'm in the stores immediately!
(I'd buy those games in the stores again no matter what design the box has, but that's another story.)

You go give 'm some more hell, Polecat!

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Lagomorph01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #309
Mish87
Rookie

This is insanely cool! These better be downloadable when they're done! I'd totally want to make myself a LucasArts Collection!
Mish87 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #310
elTee
beatnik

Thanks guys. I finished my degree and the weather co-incidentally turned amazing so I've been out drinking in the sun for the last few days (and sadly also at work ) so I've not worked on these things at all. But!

QueZ: The side stamp; you're right. I was originally working from whatever was on the original box - which was obviously a problem for the post-Fate of Atlantis games because they don't have that system requirements label. Given that, I may as well make a standard label for the year and then colour-code it based on the colours used on the box. And I'll look into Bobbin, although I sadly hate that FM-Towns cover...

Lagomorph: You're right about the faces/LucasArts logo; I'll thin them slightly so they don't touch the edge. As for the problem with the back of the box; it's something that will be difficult to deal with. I have no sense of design myself so I won't be able to make any kind of system-requirements that does the rest of the artwork justice - and I'm really loathe to do anything to alter the artwork in any way. For some games this won't be a problem as I'll be able to thin-out the back panel without wasting all that space at the top and the bottom. I'll have a think about it.

Thanks again, these comments really do help me a lot.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 05-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #311
xChri5x
Rookie

Loving it! I've been waiting for someone to make a straight conversion of the original box art to dvd cover for awhile.
xChri5x is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #312
senor calavera
Lurker

What about the imagebanana access in the US? How can I get those handy 12cm code wheels?
senor calavera is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #313
SpiffyTheDog

oh hey guys whats going on
SpiffyTheDog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #314
V_Ben
Rookie

wow, this is some great stuff! that sam and max one is totally my iphone background now :P

edit: on second thought, would you be able to to do grim fandango and monkey island 4 ones in this design? to complete the collection :P

Last edited by V_Ben; 12-16-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: remembered something!
V_Ben is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #315
dravenova
Lurker

Hey fellas,

First of all, a huge bow to everyone who have made some covers, the work that this thread has made happen, is truly awesome! Secondly, I made some covers in my spare time for a different forum, but only now have I realized, that if these covers belong anywhere, than it is this forum. Hope you like them, and a huge thanks to Laserschwert for the clean hires posters and covers, I used those as base material.

All of these are available in hi-res, you can snatch the to print from here.

Cheers!
dravenova is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #316
Megakles
Rookie

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. These DVD covers are all great, but can I throw in a suggestion for a SOMI and MI2 combo DVD cover? For those of us who have Monkey Island Madness.

Fantastic work again guys!
Megakles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #317
QueZTone
mind il creativo

hmm they look cool i like the style of the 'lucasarts presents' party... but the game title font with the thick stroke is out of sync... fix that, and they're good covers

QueZTone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2009, 04:42 AM   #318
dravenova
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueZTone View Post
hmm they look cool i like the style of the 'lucasarts presents' party... but the game title font with the thick stroke is out of sync... fix that, and they're good covers
Beleive me, I have a few hours of experimenting with those titles behind me Without the strokes some titles wouldn't be easily readable with some of these artworks (DOTT, SOMI, Mi2, and even Zak) in the background. Sadly, various types of shadow didn't fulfill my needs either, and my concept was to not use more than artwork and text on the front covers, to keep it simple, and I wanted a solution that fits all. With the stroke it is readable in every case, it just needs a little getting used to.
dravenova is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #319
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Hey, guys. I made a DOTT DVD slip cover in the same style as the ones that were made by the guy who did these (Clem). I borrowed his PC CD-ROM image for the spin/front cover but other than that I did this entirely on my own with Laserschwert's poster image of DOTT and the large box scan of the back cover from http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com. I also recaptured all the screenshots so they'd be clearer when printed. I had already printed out the MI1, MI2, and FOA DVD covers and wanted one to house my DOTT cover in as well so I whipped this up. Hope someone else out there finds it as useful.

Click to download full HQ resolution version.

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island

Last edited by MusiclyInspired; 06-05-2009 at 07:10 PM.
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #320
Kenko
Rookie

elTee, did you finish those DVD-covers?
They look really nice but you never posted any download-links.
Kenko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > ridiculously large cover scans etc