lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Why did obi-wan let him self die when he was battling against Darth Vader?
To help luke exscape? 46 82.14%
To make luke really sad? 3 5.36%
no reason just fighting? 1 1.79%
Just trying to be dubm? 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Why did obi-wan konobi let himself die when he was battling with Darth Vader?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-27-2003, 11:09 PM   #1
SITH 1000
Rookie

Post Why did obi-wan konobi let himself die when he was battling with Darth Vader?

well i don't know what to say but i do know the awnsers to the poll so vote before it's over. So do it quickly

My spongebob forum. [url]http://data.forumhoster.com/forum_185spong[url]

SITH 1000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2003, 02:10 AM   #2
Mini_k
Lurker

Luke had to escape, so the jedi could carry on their legacy...

wa zaaaaaaaaaa
Mini_k is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
daring dueler
Lock Up Your Daughters

i beleive that it was his time to go.....even if he did fight vader, he would liove or die, 2 outcomes, if he were to live, he could guide luke, if he died the same, yet he wouldnt have to be there per say, since he was a spirit and a voice, he was powerful through luke. plus it made the end of ROTJ cool what with his tranparent blue figure.

AC/DC

www.johnstoys.com *excellent *
And you! I just plain don't like you!
CRD= Carbinated refreshment drink
otherwise known as Pop.

Jerry: your not wearing a shirt are you?
Kramer: Yes i am.
Jerry: what color is it?
Kramer: Damnit!
daring dueler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2003, 08:16 PM   #4
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
"If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2003, 04:57 PM   #5
Jedi_Monk

I personally think that Obi-Wan has become so embittered by the fact that his Apprentice wiped out the Jedi Order that he's using Luke to erradicate his failure. Think about it: Obi-Wan told Luke Vader murdered his real father, then lets Luke see Vader strike the killing blow that removes Luke's second father-figure, then when Luke learns the truth, Obi-Wan tries to dehumanize Anakin by saying he's more machine than man, trying to discourage Luke from seeking his father's savation.

Jedi_Monk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2004, 12:39 PM   #6
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by Lynk Former
"If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"
I think this has a lot to do with it. Obi knows he can't win the fight so he accepts his death and uses the force to help Luke.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2004, 03:52 AM   #7
Jedi Luke
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynk Former
Exactly. This way he could aid Luke.

Dark Forces MOD for Jedi Academy

Mapper, Icarus Scripter

Reborn Ancient Jedi TC Mod

Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------
Sig made by Roxstar! AWESOME gif sig made by IG-64! Thanks dudes, you rock!
Jedi Luke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
Sam Fisher
eh.

Yep, that really is all... But I really don'y know how he became more powerful, he was invisible!

stuck in an eternity of sunshine and chocolate.
Sam Fisher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2004, 04:46 AM   #9
Jedi Luke
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Yep, that really is all... But I really don'y know how he became more powerful, he was invisible!
Only to those who do not posses the power of the force. That means only 2 people (Luke and Leia) can see obi wan. See? not completely invisible .

Dark Forces MOD for Jedi Academy

Mapper, Icarus Scripter

Reborn Ancient Jedi TC Mod

Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------
Sig made by Roxstar! AWESOME gif sig made by IG-64! Thanks dudes, you rock!
Jedi Luke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2004, 10:52 PM   #10
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Kindahard to figure out
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2004, 02:21 PM   #11
LukeKatarn
Gundam Pilot

OK the reason 1 to let luke escape 2 to guide luke in the future to show him that even if he dies he is still there to people who are strong in the force and are close to him(LOL) 3so he can become one with the force!

this is all my opinion!

Luke Katarn, Colonel of the Lemmonite army.

Clan Commando, join us, and help the Republic! Visit our thread in the Republic Commando forums for more info.

Do you like RPing and have Jedi Academy? Then you should come to JARPing! (Jedi Academy Role Playing) www.freewebs.com/jarping

X-box live gamertag: LukeKatarn
My RPing site: http://voltx.proboards36.com/index.cgi
My aim SN: LukeKatarn
My e-mail: LukeKatarn@yahoo.com
LukeKatarn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #12
dark jedi 8
law abiding citizen:)

this is kinda old, but oh well. Obi knew the only chance the millennium falcon had at escaping was to keep vader preocupied and take the stormies attention off the falcon and on the duel. plus what LeXX, Lynk Former, and daring dueler said sound good.

"to be great is to be misunderstood" - Emerson
dark jedi 8 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2004, 06:59 AM   #13
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
My take on things..

Obi-Wan has had a LOT of time alone in the desert to ponder things and come to terms with understanding the prophesy. He realizes that Anakin IS in fact the chosen one who will bring balance to the force, but he has not fulfilled his destiny as of yet.

Then Obi-Wan sees (either through deduction or perhaps visions from the force, who can tell with these jedi ) that Luke is vital to helping Anakin fulfill his destiny. So Obi-Wan knows that he cannot kill Vader, or he cannot bring balance to the force. Furthermore, as a spirit he will be able to help Luke become a jedi and turn Vader back to the light.

ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2004, 12:28 AM   #14
Isair
Rookie

Well if Obi-Wan didn't sacrifice himself, he wouldn't be able to aid Luke in the final moments on the attack on the death star. If he hadn't done that, Luke might have missed and Yavin four could have been totally destroyed. Maybe in a way Obi-Wan forsaw this event.
Isair is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #15
Darth Talliusc
High King of Lordaeron

for the same reason that obi wan only appeared to luke when luke NEEDED info past ep4.

his track record as a teacher or even a jedi kinda stinks. he knows that to teach luke is to put him in a similar situation that drove anakin to vader in the first place. Obi wan was protecting luke from the dark side and also polarizing luke AGAINST the dark side.

by befriending luke first, and letting vader kill him, luke was thrown into hating (or at least resolving to bring down) the empire.

Obi finally came to terms with his own limitations and accepted that luke would (to steal a phrase from yoda) Do or do not.

and as an added bonus he may have begun the rekindling process of anakin skywalker. alot of vaders hate must have left with obi-wans body and would definitely bring back memories of his past.

.... or maybe he just really REALLY wanted to talk yoda and couldnt wait to escape and fly there (after all he hates flying right?).

*disregard the last answer as the ramblings of a fool*

The shroud of the dark emperor Divine Spirit has fallen.

*~*Master in the Sith Academy*~*

walk into the light and you are blinded.

walk away from the light and your path is illuminated.

I answer the call of frostmourne alone.

it hungers.
Darth Talliusc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #16
Johch Ai'oki
Rookie

Location: Not so long ago in a galaxy closer than you think....
Quote:
Originally posted by ET Warrior
My take on things..

Obi-Wan has had a LOT of time alone in the desert to ponder things and come to terms with understanding the prophesy. He realizes that Anakin IS in fact the chosen one who will bring balance to the force, but he has not fulfilled his destiny as of yet.

Then Obi-Wan sees (either through deduction or perhaps visions from the force, who can tell with these jedi ) that Luke is vital to helping Anakin fulfill his destiny. So Obi-Wan knows that he cannot kill Vader, or he cannot bring balance to the force. Furthermore, as a spirit he will be able to help Luke become a jedi and turn Vader back to the light.
I agree. Also, I've pulled out some EU on Luke's profile in the SW Database:

" Accompanying Princess Leia on a diplomatic mission to the Circarpous system, Luke first came face to face with Darth Vader. The two were in pursuit of a powerful Force relic, the Kaiburr crystal, and dueled in the ancient Temple of Pomojema. Guided by the spirit of Obi-Wan, Luke held Vader off, and even managed to sever the Dark Lord's mechanical arm. Stunned, Vader tumbled down a deep pit, and their duel was interrupted."

This is a good example. It also ties with how Obi-Wan couldn't interfere with Luke dueling Vader on Bespin.
Johch Ai'oki is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2004, 11:57 PM   #17
Darth-Bane
Rookie

I find it funny
In episode 2, when they're walking into the bar, Obi-Wan says "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?"
Darth-Bane is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2004, 11:53 PM   #18
kipperthefrog
Veteran

i looked at the poll results! it is a landslide vid\ctory if i ever saw one

kipperthefrog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2004, 01:49 AM   #19
Deeo
Rookie

Well, yeah, I can't really add to this besides saying what that other guy said. If Obi-Wan did not sacrifice himself and allow Vader to kill him then Luke would have gotten involved and possibly be killed there and the Jedi forever doomed. Obi-Wan also mentioned that "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine" line I think he meant that with his death he will be freed of his material limitations and allow him to guide Luke through the Force strengthing Luke in its ways and encouraging his studies and eventually lead him down the path to begin the New Jedi Order.

Classic Lucas Games lover.
Deeo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2004, 10:36 AM   #20
kipperthefrog
Veteran

Good point! the reason they killed obi wan in the first place was to bring him back as a blue ghost! that way they show that there is MORE than the physical! the spirits of good and evil are guiding us!

kipperthefrog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2004, 09:14 AM   #21
Sead the Darkes
Rookie

I think that Obi just let Vader kill him to have a better opportunity ti guide Luke as One with the Force.

Someday the Sith shall return!!!
Sead the Darkes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2004, 06:21 PM   #22
Darth-Bane
Rookie

It was good
Darth-Bane is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #23
sith_master2000

Quote:
I think that Obi just let Vader kill him to have a better opportunity ti guide Luke as One with the Force.
No no, you got it wrong, Obi-Wan just wanted to make cry like a baby! Still he may have wanted to guide Luke.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion I gain strength,
Through strength I gain power,
Through power I gain victory,
Through victory my chains are broken,
The force shall free me...
sith_master2000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2004, 06:00 AM   #24
joesdomain
The Emperor

Current Game: The Force Unleashed
Obi-wan sacrificed himself in order for Luke, Leia and R2 could get to Yavin 4. Plus, maybe to give Luke a reason not to like Vader.

"You Rebel Scum"

"Wipe them out, all of them"
joesdomain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
jonline
Lurker

I do not believe that Obi-wan could have wanted luke to see him die. unless he had studied the sith teaching and found some truth in them he would not have wanted Luke to hate Darth Vader.
"Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side of the Force, are they" Yoda
He may have gotten in a bad situation and had to allow Vader to kill him so that Luke could escape.
jonline is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #26
Relenzo2
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior View Post
That is... brilliant! I did not think of that!
Of course Obi-Wan had to fight Vader to get Luke out of here. After all, Episdode IV is called "A New Hope" After Luke! But who says he let Vader win? He's an old man right now, so Vader could have beat him there fair and square. But it's true he wouldn't be too worried about dying, because he could help Luke plenty. And maybe he thought/knew he couldn't kill Vader. Right before he dies, he's closing his eyes and smiling. I think it's possible he joined the Force the second before Vader would have struck the killing blowl.

"The beauty and genius of a work of film may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished fiction may yet again inspire the screenplay-writer; but when the last individual of a race of living directors, of artists, breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again." -William Beebe, modified in memorial of the twentieth century

Su'cuy, vod, kar'laylirdarasuum me'suum!

Star Wars: The Plastic Director's Cut!
Relenzo2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2008, 02:09 AM   #27
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
I personally believe Obi Wan knew then and there Vader would win the duel. So knowing he could benifit Luke more if he became one with the force he allowed Vader to strike him down.

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 AM   #28
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I think Obi-Wan realised there could be no victory against Vader after their first fight. They fought almost to a stalemate at Mustafar, and if he hadn't gotten the high ground, he wouldn't have won.

And his death wasn't important by the time of his second duel, because he'd learned how to become a Force Spirit.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #29
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
If Obi-Wan hadn't died, then, there are chances Luke could've died. I don't think that Ben could speak telepathically with Luke, so, he couldn't have made the shot that destroyed the Death Star, (iirc) Luke wouldn't have used the Force to get the saber, and probably would've become a Wampa's meal.
But, that all depends on if Obi-Wan could reach out telepathically.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #30
Agent_Katarn00

Current Game: Morrowind!
I think obi cared about luke so much and have his death be a distraction from vader.
Good thing that Luke escaped before Vader had his hand

Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 Mod Project Leader and Console and PC Gamer
Games i'm looking forward to:
-Red Faction Guerrilla
-Fallout New Vegas
-Diablo 3
Agent_Katarn00 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #31
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
I think none of those reasons. like Lynk Former said, "If you strike me down I will become more powerful then you can possibly imagine."

It was his destiny man...

Last edited by LordOfTheFish; 09-08-2008 at 07:11 PM.
LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #32
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Hmm, definitely to help Luke escape he knew he could still talk to Luke, which is why in Ep.3 Obi-Wan was taught how to talk to Qui-Gon after Qui-Gon's death That way it would all make sense...

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #33
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Since people don't see to care how old this thread is... answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior View Post

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #34
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Obviously to help Luke and the crew of the Falcon to escape.

duh

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #35
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
Luke and Liea were the only hope to defeat the Emporer, since they had given up on Vader.

Luke would have never left if Obi-wan was still alive, by sacrificing himself, Luke no longer had a reason to stay (except revenge), and Kenobi was able to guide him via his spirit to leave.

It is true that Obi-wan had become more powerful, because now he could help Luke without being encumbered by his living body.

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #36
Darth krunchy
Rookie

In literature, the "mentor figure" passing on is a common theme (It happens to Luke again with Yoda, and it happened to Obi-Wan with Qui-Gon... the fact that it doesn't happen to Anakin until he's Vader in RotJ may be why he isn't redeemed until then).

Since Lucas draws upon many old stories and themes in the Star Wars movies, I think it's fair to say that Obi-Wan just "had to go."

My diapers have gone over to the dark side.
Darth krunchy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #37
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Obi should have just killed Anakin on Mustafar.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #38
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by han sala View Post
Obi should have just killed Anakin on Mustafar.
I couldn't agree more. But, it would alter SW forever.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #39
Darth krunchy
Rookie

I think he thought Anakin was about to die there, and in a very Hollywood kinda way, he just left.

My diapers have gone over to the dark side.
Darth krunchy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #40
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
One of the Jedi tenants is self sacrifice. Obi-Wan wanted to show Luke that the world was bigger than himself. Using and mastering the force does make you powerful, but it is meaningless without the sense of humility. Luke was only focusing on himself while on Tatooine. Obi-Wan wanted to show him a world in need, and only those who are selfless can overcome darkness and opression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Obi-Wan knew he would become something more, and the definition of power was not through the force. If he didn't let Vader kill him, Obi-Wan's lessons to Luke would not have made an impact. Obi-Wan embodied the essence of all the Jedi before him, and he ultimately became a symbol in the fight against darkness and evil.

Last edited by Yar-El; 10-11-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Original Trilogy > Why did obi-wan konobi let himself die when he was battling with Darth Vader?