lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-13-2006, 04:44 AM   #1521
SilverSentinal2
Rookie

Unhappy Please Don't Hat Me

I didn't understand your post. I'm so sorry but this stuff is very, very new to me and its a little like math. I failed math. If its not too much trouble could you list the steps I'd have to do to fix it? Step 1,2,3 ect. Belive me I am so embaressed for bothering you but yes I am this stupid!
SilverSentinal2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #1522
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Helpful! Notable contributor 
Unfortunately, I cannot offer much more advice than re-check the path to the image view program or just use the built-in one in Kotor Tool.

Kotor Tool Developer
http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/

"You want to help everyone who asks for aid, answer all of their questions, write that crucial bit of code for which they're searching, and be the hero who saves the day (and their job), but there comes a point when you realize that sleep is sometimes necessary."
—Stephen Toub

Visit the Kotor Tool Forum
Fred Tetra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #1523
cjt0202
Rookie

You're not stupid, Silver. I know we techies tend to take these things for granted, but statements like "open a command prompt and CD to the image viewer directory" aren't meaningful to everyone I'm sure Silver isn't the only one out there who isn't familiar with DOS commands nowadays.

I don't have the tool in front of me, but under one of the menus, there's something about setting paths. I've gotten that error message myself when I know darn well I haven't even touched the image viewer path (right after I re-installed, maybe?), and opening that path editor, leaving the image viewer path blank, and closing it made it use the internal image viewer without any more complaints.
cjt0202 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #1524
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
It's in the 'File' menu, IIRC

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2006, 09:19 PM   #1525
rgdelta

Fred I have a problem I am running Kotor Tool version 1.0.2201.41632 with mapinfo.bfd version I downloaded from your site just today and when I try to open 101Per in the module editor I get the error message "you have the map for this module, but the MapInfo file appears to be corrupt or out-of date."

I have the 101Per Large Map in my map folders if I look at maps supported it shows 101PER as small - Unsupported Large - Available.

If I delete the map from my map folder I get under maps supported 101PER as small - Unsupported Large - File Missing.

I tried both the autoinstall mapinfo.bfd and the manual install still nothing .

Also this is a fresh extract from the RIM file using extracting for module editing.
rgdelta is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #1526
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdelta
Fred I have a problem I am running Kotor Tool version 1.0.2201.41632 with mapinfo.bfd version I downloaded from your site just today and when I try to open 101Per in the module editor I get the error message "you have the map for this module, but the MapInfo file appears to be corrupt or out-of date."

I have the 101Per Large Map in my map folders if I look at maps supported it shows 101PER as small - Unsupported Large - Available.

If I delete the map from my map folder I get under maps supported 101PER as small - Unsupported Large - File Missing.

I tried both the autoinstall mapinfo.bfd and the manual install still nothing .

Also this is a fresh extract from the RIM file using extracting for module editing.

Thanks for doing at least some preliminary testing before posting; it always helps to see what you've tried.

I believe I've discovered the source of the problem and have added some code (over my lunch time) to fix it. I should be posting a new release soon.

<Edit>

A new version of Kotor Tool has been posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Features/updates:
  • Bug fix for problems loading certain module map configurations

Kotor Tool Developer

"You want to help everyone who asks for aid, answer all of their questions, write that crucial bit of code for which they're searching, and be the hero who saves the day (and their job), but there comes a point when you realize that sleep is sometimes necessary."
—Stephen Toub

Last edited by Fred Tetra; 01-19-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #1527
rgdelta

Thanks Fred the new version works great. np on the info I am a computer tech by trade and have worked on help desks and deskside so I know what you mean :-)
Old 01-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #1528
Darth333
Administraterror

I'm currently playing with the module editor and I have to say you did an amazing work, Fred! It's awesome

I have a little suggestion if it's possible : could you add the possibility to select various items to delete instead of having to delete items one by one when stripping down a module before adding new content? (example: being able to delete all the creatures at a time)

Being able to see to which part of the map each room corresponds would be great too (but I don't know if many other people would find it useful and it's probably not worth the trouble).

Last edited by Darth333; 01-21-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #1529
rgdelta

Darth333 When you use the Extract for Module editing you can uncheck what you do and don't want like creatures then it will ask you if you want to clean the git file of non extracted items and say yes and poof they are gone.

I agree with you on what is what that would be helpful to me also
Old 01-21-2006, 09:45 PM   #1530
Darth333
Administraterror

Doh! I was clicking on the regular "extract" button...

Well after playing with the module editor for a bit longer, maybe I am missing something but I have a problem with the Z coordinate: no matter what, whenever I place a new placeable , it is set at 0. I have to go in the game and use the whereami armband to get it or my placeables don't show up.

The other thing is something that shouldn't be too much trouble: a "jump to line" function in the text editor would be great for when something is missing in a script at line 212
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2006, 01:42 AM   #1531
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
Doh! I was clicking on the regular "extract" button...

Well after playing with the module editor for a bit longer, maybe I am missing something but I have a problem with the Z coordinate: no matter what, whenever I place a new placeable , it is set at 0. I have to go in the game and use the whereami armband to get it or my placeables don't show up.
It does place things at zero by default, and there isn't any way for it to "know" what the correct Z values are for items since it doesn't know where the floor is. For flat levels, like 204tel, once you know the floor's Z, you're OK. On the other hand, places with ramps, like the Peragus asteroid exterior, are a lot more work. I have been thinking of putting either a set of text call outs on the maps for various areas, and encoding the most common Z value within the MapInfo.bfd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
The other thing is something that shouldn't be too much trouble: a "jump to line" function in the text editor would be great for when something is missing in a script at line 212
I'll look into it. Sometimes those simple seeming things can be hard

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #1532
rgdelta

Btw Fred I noticed the Extract for module editing does not have an option for extracting the module items. I have to manually extract the items from the rim for that module (like 201TEL) items like quest items like ithorian shield. Even though items are not in the git it would be nice to allow items to be extracted if you want when extracting the module as if you don't have the items in your .mod file they will not exist in game. Just an observation.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #1533
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Here's a look at the some of the new features coming out in the next release of Kotor Tool:

Kotor Tool News and Updates:

Extract for Module Editing now includes Module Items:

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 01-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #1534
goldberry
Forumite

I was thinking about posting whether or not you would do the sort of a thing (the update window).

Will that be in the next version, or is it just one of the future versions?

P.S. I hope you don't think I'm intruding posting the Module thread.
goldberry is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #1535
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Hey Fred, a while back I tried to combine a customised 262tel.git and the existing module, copying all the files etc etc, and the map wouldn't show up. I managed to get a text dump out of the module editor, which means it's not corrupt, but I just wanted to ask if there is any way to fix this.

Thanks

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #1536
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious
Hey Fred, a while back I tried to combine a customised 262tel.git and the existing module, copying all the files etc etc, and the map wouldn't show up. I managed to get a text dump out of the module editor, which means it's not corrupt, but I just wanted to ask if there is any way to fix this.

Thanks
If you'll email the .git file, I'll take a look and see if I can determine the cause of the problem.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 01-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #1537
rgdelta

Looks good Fred
Old 01-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #1538
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Tetra
If you'll email the .git file, I'll take a look and see if I can determine the cause of the problem.
Of course

Could you PM me your email address? I can't find it on the KT webpage.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 01-28-2006, 01:09 AM   #1539
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Of course

Could you PM me your email address? I can't find it on the KT webpage.
It's in the readme.txt file...

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 01-28-2006, 05:03 AM   #1540
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Thanks

edith: emailed

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~

Last edited by Darth InSidious; 01-28-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:16 AM   #1541
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Thanks

edith: emailed
Maybe Edith received your email, but I didn't

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #1542
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Here's a look at a new feature in Kotor Tool to show special map information right on the map image itself in the Module editor without having to edit the map itself. This example shows two notes indicating the elevation of the platforms on the Peragus asteroid exterior to aid in item placement.

I might add the facility to allow users to contribute map info points to speed the annotation process.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #1543
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
Fred You are a GOD among the Godless. That is probably one of the best technical detail features you've added yet.

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #1544
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Tetra
Maybe Edith received your email, but I didn't
You didn't? Damn! I'm sure I got the address right....

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 02-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #1545
diphycue
Rookie

I can't download KT from the tools website...keeps giving me an error about leech.php not being found. Any chance there's a mirror site or something that I can download KT from?

Edit: Oh sure...as soon as I implore to the depths for help the thing starts working... sheesh. I'll see if I can't figure this thing out now. :-D

Last edited by RedHawke; 02-09-2006 at 09:29 PM.
diphycue is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #1546
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diphycue
I can't download KT from the tools website...keeps giving me an error about leech.php not being found. Any chance there's a mirror site or something that I can download KT from?

Edit: Oh sure...as soon as I implore to the depths for help the thing starts working... sheesh. I'll see if I can't figure this thing out now. :-D
Please be aware that download applications that hide referers, such as GetRight, GoZilla! and Download Accelerator Plus, will prevent you from downloading files on the Kotor Tool site.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #1547
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Fred, I hate to bother you with this - seeing as how it is in regards to your webpage as opposed to the tool itself - but I still cannot download the latest version of KotOR Tool. As it did a couple of months ago, it does this:

Quote:
Leech Attempt

Either a referer was not sent or it was from another domain. The attempt has been logged and action will be taken if necessary.

Please be aware that download applications that hide referers, such as GetRight, GoZilla! and Download Accelerator Plus, will prevent you from downloading files here.

It is recommended that you disable the download managers and use your browsers in-built downloader.
©2003-2006
Now either I am using a download accelerator without knowing it, or there is something wrong.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #1548
General Kenobi
Guardian of The Force

Hi Pavlos,

You can disregard ANY 3rd party downloader program (even if you can't find it) by simply holding down the CTRL key then clicking on the "download" button as it were.

Hope that helps a bit,

General Kenobi

MY SITE: Okinawa Outpost
Gilliam Forums
Ikanaru hito demo sonke suru koto
Yakusoku o yaburanai koto
Hito o on****su shinai koto
Hito ni tai****e omoiyari o motsu koto
General Kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2006, 02:02 AM   #1549
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Here's a few screenshots from the upcoming release of Kotor Tool.

Updated to have a tool strip with all of the major editors/tools on it.
You can even reorder the menus and tool strip items to your liking and have their positions persisted.

Here's a look at the new menu design

Here's the new ERF / MOD Builder tool, substantially rewritten to make building resource files easier.

The combo box above the Add Directory button allows you to enter an initial path for browsing or select from one of the past 10 paths used.

The Builder now supports saving a "project" consisting of a set of files, output file, and output type.

The last 10 projects are available on the Recent Files menu

There are a number of other updates I have made, which I will post the details for soon.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-18-2006, 02:58 AM   #1550
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Fred, That is looking totally impressive. I really like the new layout Quick reference for the various tools menus using there File type's to define the menu choice right from the get go.

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 02-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #1551
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

@Fred: Those feature upgrades look amazing! Your tool just keeps on getting better and better.

@General Kenobi: Thanks, but that didn't work. I generally keep my computer pretty clean from all things that I don't want and I can't see how I have managed to latch onto a download accelerator when I can't find any trace of it.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:12 AM   #1552
General Kenobi
Guardian of The Force

@Fred...Great work Fred. Seems everytime I get free enough to post & check in you've made leaps and bounds on our favorite KOTOR & TSL tool! Looking forward to downloading my copy.

@Pavlos...Hemmm, can you download other files from other sites or how about the maps or other things on Fred's site? There are also a few "spyware" types out there that do either the "redirect" thang or the "do nothing when he clicks me" thang. I'd run Ad-Aware & Spybot Search & Destroy. Hopefully one of those will find a culprit you can eliminate.

EDIT: Pavlos, sounds like you might need to "reinstall" Internet Explorer. That would most likely fix your problem. If your not using the beta I'd try that or using another browser.

Rock on Fred!

General Kenobi

Gilliam Forums

Last edited by General Kenobi; 02-18-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #1553
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Yeah, that was the first thing I did - run spybot. I also did a virus scan then checked things in my registry to see if anything was out of the ordinary and I found nothing.

EDIT: AGH! I checked my firewall and it turns out that it was blocking my referer which might explain a lot of the troubles I have been having downloading off a few sites - the problem is fixed now. Can't wait for the next version, Fred!

Last edited by Fred Tetra; 02-19-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #1554
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

FT: Updates as of 2006-23-2)

Here's another screenshot from the upcoming release of Kotor Tool, showing the new Custom Items treeview of the Inventory Editor.

The Custom Items treeview is populated with items found in the Kotor Tool Global Templates folder, and when editing a Module, it will also show items found in the module's project folder. Each is shown in a different color, and a tooltip on the legend label will show you the path currently used for that category of item.

You can also now use context (right-click) menu on an item in the GameItems or Custom Items treeviews, the Equipped Item slots, or the Pack Items grid to open the item properties viewer.

There are now buttons to open the Global Templates and Module Templates folders, so that you can manage their contents easily, and each has a tooltip on it that shows you the path it will open a Windows Explorer on. There is also a Refresh button ("R" button) that will update the Custom Items treeview after you've changed the folder's contents .

The Item Editor has also been updated to allow you to select where in the Custom Items treeview your item will appear.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Last edited by Fred Tetra; 02-23-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #1555
General Kenobi
Guardian of The Force

Sweet Fred. NICE I love the fact that you can see the custom items like Darth333's armband in red and like the pop up tips as well.

Rock on man,

General Kenobi

Gilliam Forums
Old 02-23-2006, 02:18 AM   #1556
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Hey Fred quick question. When your gff editor loads references from the 2da files does it search for the ".tlk" file entries for the name of the header for the line? (eg. as seen in the drop down menu of your item editor.)

[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 02-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #1557
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkkender
Hey Fred quick question. When your gff editor loads references from the 2da files does it search for the ".tlk" file entries for the name of the header for the line? (eg. as seen in the drop down menu of your item editor.)
Yes - Kotor Tool is very data-driven so that I don't have to worry about the names of things changing when new games come out. If I had hard-coded things like dropdowns, I would have had a lot of rework when KotOR II came out.

It takes more time to code this behavior than to simply enter the text, but in the long term it is easier to maintain.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #1558
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
I knew it was data driven I just couldn't recall if it only read the data in the 2da's or if it used the tlk file entries as well.

I was only curious considering KT's ability to use 2da file's in overide in case of mods like the Holowan Plugins for K1 & K2 which can have entries that may not mesh with tlk file entries. I didn't know if that might be something for a much later release of KT as a feature request whence I asked the question in the main thread.

[smacks head]Realized just now I could have started a seperate KT sub-forum thread for this series of questions.[/smacks head]

[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #1559
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Some screenshots from the upcoming release of Kotor Tool:

The Search for Refs feature has been updated to allow the display the paths of items matching the search criteria. You can now choose to see the entire path or just the file name containing the match:

Just the filenames:

Or the entire path:

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-24-2006, 07:00 PM   #1560
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

When can we expect the next version, Fred? Also, you said it is now in .Net framework v2.0. Did you rewrite the whole tool or is 2.0 backwards compatable with 1.1?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > KotOR Tool > Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Tags
kotor modding tool, kotor tool