lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mapper at your disposal.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Ibanez
Rookie

Thumbs up Mapper at your disposal.

Hello everyone. I've followed the DFmod progress for a few years, and I greatly enjoyed the 6 level demo. They took me back quite a bit, and I had a blast playing it. The words "Oh, cool!" left my mouth plenty of times.

I have been editing Jedi Academy for a while, and I would be thrilled if I could map for either the DFmod team or DF2mod. I'm happy with either. Here is my most recent work, that I've been doing for the last few days: a remake of Double Cross on Nar Shaddaa from JK.

Original:

New:

Original:

New:

Original:

New:

More pictures next post.
Ibanez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Ibanez
Rookie

Pictures, Cont'd:

Original:

New:

Original:

New:

That's all I have done! Enjoy!

1:1 JK texture remake credits go to this lovely page!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
jedimike2234
Rookie

WOW!Ibanez,simply incredibile work there,will you be releasing this?you kept the spirit of the original levels but at the same time you updated them!Fantastic!Love how you really captured the grime and the filth of nar shadda!
jedimike2234 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I agree with Mike, your work is first rate, equal to much of the best mod work i have seen thanks so much for posting those and I hope you do release soon

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
On_Your_Six
Rookie

Hey, look at that, you move fast Ibanez. Glad I came over to check out your post, you've got even more eye candy this time around. Awesome.
On_Your_Six is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
grangana
Rookie

It seems there is a new good mapper here!
I can feel your force, guy! Good new sp maps in perspective.
grangana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
exonimus
Rookie

it looks really good, but you do really need to work on some textures. The green ones with the circular pattern looks dreadful. The second last picture on the first post, those iron bar kind of things, you really need to make that stand out with brushes or actual cylinders, or some other way of texturing.

But overall, it looks great! keep up the good work!

Mysteries of the Sith Mod co-leader
exonimus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Ibanez
Rookie

I'm sorry, could you be more specific? Are you referring to the steep slope with the vertical metal striping texture? I do take any and all criticism into consideration, since I am making this for the community, after all.

Also, remember, those textures are not mine. They are 1:1 remakes of the original JK textures.

Last edited by Ibanez; 03-28-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
exonimus
Rookie

my apologies for being unclear, yes, that is what I was referring to. The metal stuff on the steep slope looks really 2d, while you could easily make it better. You could either make two layers, one metal layer and one black-ish layer below, or you could go another way, and completely replicate it with some small tubes(that is, I think the texture is trying to convey something like that) The texture I was referring to(the floor texture on your first two screenshots) looks really grainy imho. I'm not sure if said texture is a remake of the floor texture on respective surface, since I can't really tell from the comparison shot. But if it is, it could need replacing or improvement otherwise. I always ask myself what the authors of the original texture could've meant, and if it makes sense, I try to improve upon it.

But there are also cases where it doesn't make sense. For example, in mysteries of the sith(jk expansion) in the first map, you're in this big concrete rebel base. On the ceiling of this base, this is a wooden plank texture. That didn't really make sense, so I replaced it.

The idea of recreating is keeping the good stuff, and improving the bad stuff(and you're doing a damn good job at that.)

edit: if you ever need someone to test your map, I'd be happy to help you =)

Also, just wondering: how long have you spent creating this, uptil now?

Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Ibanez
Rookie

Ahh, the green texture with studs on it in the first picture? Yeah, that is actually a stock JA texture (held over from the JO Nar level). I used it simply because it looks dirty and it keeps in the color theme as the original Nar level. If it looks too low quality, I can replace it.

And I know what you mean with the sloping metal texture. I know just what to do.

I've spent about 4-5 days on this so far.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
hhunter6
Rookie

Your map is very awesome. I like the look you have going on it. First rate indeed. plus you have made me very jealous. ; )

I would recommed that on the dragon over the bar you shorten the width and make it a little longer, it looks alittle fat to me. just my opinion though. : )

Last edited by hhunter6; 03-28-2009 at 04:07 PM.
hhunter6 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Ibanez
Rookie

Does this look better, exonimus?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
On_Your_Six
Rookie

Killer work, Ibanez.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
-=*Raz0r*=-
Rookie

very nice indeed.
i was amazed when i opened this thread yesterday - and now i feel compelled to post in it.
very, very nice work.

-=*Raz0r*=- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
exonimus
Rookie

very much so =)

You know why I'm jealous too? you seem to be able to get quite a lot of work done in so little time, or you do have a lot of time. Hhunter and I(together with a small team) need to recreate every texture ourselves, and just don't have that much time on our hands, so it'd take weeks for us to get this far :/

Anyway, in the case the df2team is completely out of their mind and doesn't accept you, you're always welcome to help out with mysteries of the sith =)

Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #16
Ibanez
Rookie

Haha what do you know, I just played through MotS yesterday!

And thank you everyone for your compliments. It helps a lot.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #17
Ibanez
Rookie

Ah, I made some more progress tonight:

Original:

New:

Last edited by Ibanez; 03-28-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Uploaded the wrong JK picture. :S
Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 AM   #18
-=*Raz0r*=-
Rookie

in the first picture, the red light on the pole needs some tweaking, maybe more glow and less harsh light? like, it seems to just cut off with the texture to the left of it.
i don't know, but everything else is ace!

Last edited by -=*Raz0r*=-; 03-29-2009 at 03:51 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #19
exonimus
Rookie

actually, now I come to think of it, only choice you'd have is dfmod, since df2mod is on hiatus at the moment.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
Ibanez
Rookie

sobcry. Well I'll finish this one level freelance, release it as a stand-alone mod, and go from there.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #21
grangana
Rookie

Good resolution to finish it.
Where will you post this level? (jk3 files is dead)
grangana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
Ibanez
Rookie

Massassi Temple.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #23
exonimus
Rookie

you might want to consider posting it on jksource.com, it'll have all the jk3files files(complete backup) and it kind of the replacement. However' it's not finished yet, and probably won't be for another two weeks or so. However, I can't imagine you finishing the map within two weeks :P

edit: missed the last screenshots. Sadly, I don't have much more to add than "nice!" =)

How many rooms (estimated..) have you finished up til now, and how many do you still have to do?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
Ibanez
Rookie

Well, I map in progression from room to room, and I don't move on until I have one area totally finished. So, the last room you see is the last room I've finished. Here it is in Radiant, this might give you an idea. The very top right room is the last one I made.

[EDIT: I forgot to add! Thanks to the help of someone, I now understand and have working shaders! So, the neon signs from JK now animate exactly as they did in JK, and that signature 'hand' switch from Nar now animates as well, and has great looking glow! ]

Last edited by Ibanez; 03-30-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #25
exonimus
Rookie

you still have a long way to go =)

on the shaders: that's great! if you have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me an e-mail or a pm(preferably on my mod's forums, I check those more often). I'm no shader guru, but I understand the basics pretty well.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:47 AM   #26
-=*Raz0r*=-
Rookie

Dynamic glow is so pretty. o_O

You have got to be the most time efficient mapper I've seen, ever.
Great job.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #27
Ibanez
Rookie

Haha I wouldn't say that. I've spent two days now sitting staring blankly at that empty wall, wondering how I'm going to tackle the next area. 75% of the time I take in my mapping is simply coming up with a design and look for the next area. When I know what I'm making, I do work very fast. I have to finish it before I forget it! :P

Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #28
Ibanez
Rookie

Youtube time!

View page
YouTube Video

Old 04-01-2009, 03:44 AM   #29
exonimus
Rookie

great work!

Meh, if they would've let you start the df2mod some years ago, it'd be done by now!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #30
Jennaida
Rookie

Current Game: Star Trek Online
That one enemy at 0:51 in the video (on the left) isn't standing exactly on the ground, but that's a minor thing. Fantastic! When did you start this, to be so far along on the level? It's incredible!
Jennaida is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #31
On_Your_Six
Rookie

Damn, that's awesome. Great scripting and everything.

Can't wait to see what you would do with Baron's Hed and Into the Dark Palace (drool).
Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #32
raw_bean
Lurker

Hey, it's my man Ibanez! As I've said elsewhere, great work man. DarkStarMojo should sign you up so fast it makes your head spin.
raw_bean is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #33
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Holy crap! That's frickin' sweet!

DarkStarMojo, I know you guys have already completed the first couple of levels, and I respect the work you've done, but please take this guy's version into consideration. Maybe the finished level could be a hybrid of the two?

But get Dark Forces done first, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #34
Ibanez
Rookie

Haha! raw_bean you stalker! Can't give me infractions on this forum now can ya?

And if it's at all possible, I would like to see the work that has already been done on DF2mod.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #35
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod/screenshots.html

Quote:
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Old 04-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #36
Ibanez
Rookie

Ah! Thank you! It seems they're doing a 1:1 remake of JK, whereas I'm taking artistic license with mine and making it as if what Kyle would have gone through if the JK engine had been able to support more detailed environments. Also, in some cases, if the level designers hadn't been bat**** insane.

Although I really like many of the things I see in those pictures! Especially level 2. Ace job! I particularly like the air duct under construction!

Last edited by Ibanez; 04-02-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typoes
Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #37
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Yeah, I'd rather these levels be mostly re-imagined rather than a carbon copy of the ones we're familiar with, with better graphics. In my other threads here I keep referencing Tomb Raider: Anniversary as the perfect example of a re-imagining of a classic game when I give the team my suggestions as to how to go about designing the levels, gameplay, functionality plot advancement (from a writer's perspective, as I know nothing about the technical aspects of it).

In any case, I really like your level and look forward to seeing it released. (Filefront is back up, by the way. They've been permitted to stick around. ) I also wouldn't mind more videos.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #38
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Oh, and a few suggestions, should you ever revisit your creation and make some changes here and there:

1. Perhaps the initial dining area can be designed so as to more closely resemble the one seen in the cutscene when the level begins?

2. Could you make the patrons and activities in the barroom more interactive, as they are in Jedi Outcast]? Perhaps have it so that you need to accomplish some sort of task before the patrons become hostile and you are permitted to advance? (Perhaps 8T88 ordered the place locked down on his way out?)

Quote:
Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #39
Ibanez
Rookie

Well, there are others in the bar that ignore you until you shoot them (at which point they become hostile :P ). But even that's more than how it was in JK. I suppose I could make it so you need to find a hidden switch to advance... but wouldn't that be deviating from JK a bit?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #40
Ibanez
Rookie

View page
YouTube Video

Ok, so here's the first part of the level as it plays out now. Enjoy!

I probably won't post too many more updates, as I don't want to spoil everything and ruin your interests!

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Dark Forces Mod > Mapper at your disposal.