lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dark Forces 2 Mod
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #481
Bomberman65

Current Game: Uncharted 2
Now that would be kool seeing Kyle defect from the empire and another level i'd like to see is where Kyle rescues Jan from the emipre. Now that would be a awsome level to play!

EDIT:
Also i know what would help people not ask when is it done is have a progress bar or report for the demo, the second demo and the finshed project if u have time that is to do it.

Heroes get remembered, Legends never die

Last edited by Bomberman65; 10-26-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Bomberman65 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #482
MikeGunther1969
Rookie

Location: 5 Miles north of the Preppie-Snobbotorium called Annapolis, MD
Depending upon which story you like most would probably determine a Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors Prequel MOD. (if of course it was ever made)

In the novels, Katarn is a an Imperial cadet leading a stormtrooper raid on a rebel base when he meets Jan Ors. He spares her life, but almost dies during the battle. He graduates the Imperial Academy a highly decorated hero, and takes a graduation cruise aboard a luxury starliner while awaiting final destination orders. It is on this cruise, he is informed of his father's death at the hands of the Rebel Alliance (or so he is led to believe). He then enconters again Jan Ors, and this time chases her down throughout the ship, and finds himself surrounded by Rebels. In return for him saving her life on the raid, she shows him the hypocrisy of his own Imperial Service by showing him video surveillence footage of his father's death at the hands of the Galactic Empire, thereby recruiting him into the Rebel Alliance. The story then jumps forward to the first level in the Dark Forces game...the theft of the DEATH STAR plans.

Not to be unmentioned by any means, The A.K. Piggott MOTS MOD "Birth of A Mercenary" tells an equally compelling story of Kyle and Jan's backstory. Kyle and Jan are Imperial Officers as well as best friends working together in the service of Darth Vader. Kyle still has the nightmares of returning home to Sulon, only to find his father's head on a spike displayed for all to see. Jan Ors is a spy for the Rebel Alliance who gets cought by Vader, and shipped off to the Imperial Academy on Caridia for interrigation and termination. Kyle finds out that Jan has been caught and taken prisoner, but ultimately decides his friendship with Jan is more important than his service to the Galactic Empire. He then confronts Lord Vader, blasts his way out of Vader's Star Destroyer, and embarks on an incredible journey to rescue his good friend, becoming a member of the Rebel Alliance in the process.

Both stories would have several different locations, characters, cinematics, etc...and more importantly, both stories include some backstory on General Rom Mohc...the mastermind of the DARK TROOPER Project, as well as reaquaint us with Mon Mothma and Emperor Palpatine..the leaders of both factions struggling to bring us their own ideas of peace and order to the galaxy.......

All you would need is 10 mappers, 10 texture artists, 10 voice actors, 5 coders, 5 modellers, 5 skinners, and 5 extremely talented cinematic cutscene artists, all of whom could give you 20 hours a week of hardcore volunteer service, and the project could be done in no time. This staff of 50 would be the largest MOD Staff ever assemebled, and it would absoultely rule when finshed. Can anyone here say major freakin' pipe dream?

So....who is left out there that is not already involved with either DF, DF2JK, SOTE, or OJP who feels like tackling this one? HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!

"Every time my fingers touch brain, I'm the guns of the navarone...I'm superfly TNT..."

- Jules Winfield , Pulp Fiction
MikeGunther1969 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2005, 03:25 PM   #483
Bomberman65

Wow great points and i have read the Solider for the Empire novel and it was good. I'm trying to get the other ones but a mod like that would rule it would be like a 3 or more level expansion for Dark Forces. Now that i'd download in a second.
I hope someone can do that later on. Maybe 2 teams can work together on it in the future. Who knows!?

Old 10-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #484
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
I've got big ideas for what I'd like to see in a MOTS MOD. Unfortunately, I don't know a single thing about MODing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #485
SlicerDude
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram
I've got big ideas for what I'd like to see in a MOTS MOD. Unfortunately, I don't know a single thing about MODing.
Most people don't know a single thing about something until they learn about it. The way to learn about modding is to do it yourself, probably with help from tutorials, other people, and whatever else you can find online. Everybody's got to start from somewhere; no one was born knowing how to mod. Of course, it takes extra time and effort to do something when you haven't done it before.
SlicerDude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #486
jedispy

Current Game: Metroid Prime 2
I like to pop my head in every once in a while. DF2MOD team, you guys really ought to listen to Kurgan and Razorace. They totally know what they're saying. MP port over is totally the way to go. You can do far more customization in the MP code (just because the SDK is availalble). It will be far easier to create new force powers (such as Destruction, burning sight, force blindness, & force throw) and reconfiguring old ones (force pull where it targets specific items vs. pulling everything, force persuasion vs. mind trick, force sight that illuminates not only items and lifeforms, but also improves sight in darkness, etc...)

It will also allow you to customize the weapons better. While I like theseeker ability of the rocket launcher in JA, I'm more of a fan of the rail gun's stick and boom function. MP code is just so much better for that sort of thing.

Plus thanks to OJP, we have the ability to do things that were previously thought impossible (such as smart bots, MAN I love that!!!)

For SOTE MOD we're totally porting over to MP. It's just the best way to do things. Even if Raven were to release the SP sdk, I think I'd probably still do things in MP just because we've already started with it, and that ground has already been pioneered for us.

Jedispy - SOTE Mod Administrator, server/technical administrator, mod author, forum admin/moderator, web administrator, programmer.
Click to read the latest SOTE MOD news
jedispy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #487
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Yeah, the way the SP weapons are is just annoying. They're so crappy.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #488
Guy-Gone_Weird
Rookie

So when you say Multiplayer, does that mean you can still have single-player-eque missions, or would you just be recreating JK multiplayer for JA?

On a side note, I know a small mod that would be great. "Ewok Adventures: Battle For Endor". Imagine you control old grumpy Noa with his walking stick vs Terak and his dull sword. Or control the Ewoks who have stolen the Marauders' blasters. Or mow them down in a gunner chair. Endless hours of fun......................... j/k

Oh no, my friend! This is a mistake! A terrible mistake! They've gone too far! This is madness!!!

My triumph will be the bread upon which I make my sandwich! And your defeat will be the delicious mustard on that sandwich! The mustard of your doom!!!!
Guy-Gone_Weird is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2005, 01:00 AM   #489
SlicerDude
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy-Gone_Weird
So when you say Multiplayer, does that mean you can still have single-player-eque missions, or would you just be recreating JK multiplayer for JA?
It could mean using to MP portion of JA to create an SP mod, just as the DFMOD team is doing, or it could mean recreating the MP part of JK. The people posting weren't very careful about that distinction, and thus confusingly replied to the suggestion to do the mod as the multiplayer portion of JK as if it were a suggestion to port the single-player to MP code. Of course, both are valid suggestions, but as someone who never really played JK's multiplayer, I don't really have any fond memories of it and thus would prefer the mod to be at least the single player part. If the porting it to MP (like DFMOD) would make that easier, I see no reason not to, and if you're going to do so, it'd probably be easier to start doing it that way from the start instead of switching later.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:26 AM   #490
Kurgan
Headhunter

I'm talking re-creating (loosely, as I'd keep some things like the saber combat, though a return of the double swing would be neat to replace, say, the medium kata!) the MP combat in the MP mode.

That would be the easiest to do. So recreate the 10+ JK1 weapons and skins with sounds and the items. If you wanted, then move on to doing the basic JK1 maps.

We'd all love to have a 100% TC of the entire game in the new engine, but let's be realistic... the MP mode would be much easier to start with and could serve as a base for the other stuff.

Recall that in JK1/MotS, the Single Player and Multiplayer were much closer, in that the way the player moved, the way the weapons and force powers worked, etc, were the same in both SP & MP... not completely different like they were in JK2/JA. So once you've got the MP JK1 combat, you've also got the SP combat done too.

One of the more difficult things that I'd like to see done was the overlay map. I don't mean re-creating the entire holographic datapad one, just the green overlay that indicated your position as you ran around. I once suggested perhaps a modification of the Siege "Radar" as a way to re-create this, but I don't know if anyone looked into it...

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 10-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #491
Guy-Gone_Weird
Rookie

Arg! I'm still really confused. From what I understood, the goal of this mod is to recreate the single player storyline and missions and bring them into JA graphics quality. If you can use MP to create a Single Player Mode (which I didn't know the DFMod was using) then by all means, if its easier do it. But I'm just confirming that having an actual JK MP, as in playing online with buddies, is not the main goal of the mod. If DFMod is using MP code for their SP, then they did a great job of it.

Oh no, my friend! This is a mistake! A terrible mistake! They've gone too far! This is madness!!!

My triumph will be the bread upon which I make my sandwich! And your defeat will be the delicious mustard on that sandwich! The mustard of your doom!!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #492
DarkStarMojo

Quote:
*shrug* I'm not sure if MP conversion is really the major burden for most mods. It really seems to be a lack of mappers IMO.
Indeed. Right now, it's just me. I also don't know much about MP coding but I plan to learn this winter, when I have time off from school. You can expect a lot of work to get done then. As for porting from the start, I haven't done ANYTHING as far as objectives and such are concerned so it shouldn't be a problem to start mapping in the multiplayer engine. What we need, though, is experience, as in experienced team members. Since I've been doing the bulk of the non-texture gruntwork, I'll probably end up having to learn coding/scripting anyway. I also need to catch up on my moddeling skills, since I'm probably a bit rusty after two years.

As for the Kyle skin, Sith_master2000 officially has my permission to post the images so long as everyone knows they do not reflect the final product. I'm still tweaking it but it should be finished this weekend (I promise).

Hey, Guy-Gone_Weird, are you working on the Sariss skin? If so, how's it coming?

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Project lead, lead mapper
http://www.darkforces.jediknight.net
http://dfmod.blogspot.com
DarkStarMojo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2005, 06:06 PM   #493
sith_master2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarMojo
As for the Kyle skin, Sith_master2000 officially has my permission to post the images so long as everyone knows they do not reflect the final product. I'm still tweaking it but it should be finished this weekend (I promise).
Well, I guess everyone will want to see these:

All that has been modified since my pictures is all Mojo's work btw. I.e the face, the head and the hands.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion I gain strength,
Through strength I gain power,
Through power I gain victory,
Through victory my chains are broken,
The force shall free me...
sith_master2000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #494
DarkStarMojo

I didn't like the way the collar was turning out, so I switched back to the original. Otherwise, I've just finished the Kyle skin and uploaded the latest version to our team server. In the future, I'm going to attempt modeling a new belt for him, to make it more accurate to the cutscenes. Later all.

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Old 10-28-2005, 07:15 PM   #495
Bomberman65

Very nice, very nice so the finished skin will look close to this one. Just a few minor tweaks right??
What tweaks are u doing to it? Are u going to do the belt for the first demo??
Also i was wondering how are u going to do Gorc and his lightsaber??
But other that that i love it.

Last edited by Bomberman65; 10-28-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #496
Guy-Gone_Weird
Rookie

Honestly, I've barely started... I just started a new class in college, and it is 3 hrs long, twice a week. adding that to my other classes I'm just now starting to get adjusted. However, I now have mondays off, so I get to have a permanent 3-day weekend. I'll go ahead and work on Sariss, and I'll try to get it as good as possible (except face - someone else will need to do that).

Hey sith_master, in Modview, if you select those white portions of your model in the left drop down section (may take some searching for the right parts) you can make them invisible for your pic.

Also, I have those 3 Audio Plays based on the Dark Forces novels. If the team wants to use any of the audio, maybe for extended cutscenes or in-game talking, I can provide it.

Finally, here's a crazy idea. I have no idea if we'd want to do this, but, what if the DF2Mod, and SOTEMod shared people and resources - that way we get more mappers, and they get whatever help they need. When I made my Star Wars fanfilm, ours and another (that was in another state) had a joint website, and we helped each other get each of ours done, much faster and better than alone. I've kinda tinkered around in some SOTE skins, and I think that if nothing else, what would be really awesome is a joint website and forums or something. Just throwin out ideas...

Old 10-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #497
DarkStarMojo

I think that (the whole SOTE and DF2MOD) idea is a very good one. I know I'm up to it. It really depends on their situation and whether or not they can spare resources to help us out. I know I'd be willing, however, to provide them with any help they might need - particularly in the art and graphics department, since that's my specialty.

Anyway, take your time on the Sariss skin. When you get to the face just let me know and I'll take a crack at it. After all, that's what I did with Kyle *points to screens sith_master posted*.

Speaking of which, the only real "tweaks", aside from the collar, which I've restored to its original JA look, is a re-aligned goatee and some minor changes to the hair, particularly on the forehead.

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Old 10-29-2005, 06:06 AM   #498
Kurgan
Headhunter

My point was that doing a multiplayer module (a la, Deathmatch style for those who misunderstood) would be far easier and a good stepping stone for either mod (DFMod or DF2 Mod).

Re-creating the SP component of Dark Forces or Jedi Knight in Jedi Academy will be a lot more work.

And re-creating SP in the MP engine of JA would be better than creating it in the SP engine of JA, since we have the MP SDK, but not the SP SDK.

Make sense now?

Old 10-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #499
jedispy

Quote:
...re-creating SP in the MP engine of JA would be better than creating it in the SP engine of JA, since we have the MP SDK, but not the SP SDK
THAT's what I'm talking about. Using MP engine to create SP games.

So DF2MOD, what would you say is your greatest want/need right now in your mod?

Jedispy - SOTE Mod Administrator, server/technical administrator, mod author, forum admin/moderator, web administrator, programmer.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #500
Bomberman65

You guys sure know what your talking about. I wish I could help but i no nothing with modding and stuff like that. Keep up the good work.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:39 AM   #501
minilogoguy18
Rookie

i dont think its necesarry at all to modify Kyle, his outfit was meant to be the same in all the games. just cause in the older ones it appears a lighter/darker shade doesnt mean it really was supposed to be that way cause in the cinematics Kyles outfiit is the same as JO/JA.
minilogoguy18 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2005, 11:25 AM   #502
Kurgan
Headhunter

Wait, says who? His outfit is completely different in Dark Forces (clean shaven, gunmetal armor vest, gray shirt?, trenchcoat, black gloves.. I don't think we see him from the waist down in full light so the rest is guesswork), Jedi Knight (stubble to full beard, worn white shirt, brown shoulder guard, no gloves, dark gray pants, brown boots), Mysteries of the Sith (black shirt with hint of armor underneath, black shoulder pad, black pants, black boots, goatee, graying hair on the sides), then his khaki/brown "bantha herder" outfit from Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

He actually gets to wear several different outfits in Jedi Knight/MotS multiplayer (and then there's the black "Sith Lord" outfit from the JK cutscenes darkside ending).

But still, in SP there's a new outfit for each game (except Jedi Academy).

I will admit that cutscene Kyle in Jedi Knight's outfit bears a striking resemblance to that of Jedi Outcast Kyle's outfit (the biggest difference being the big brown gloves and the shoulder patch placement), but even if the two were identical, you're still forgetting the other costume changes throughout the series. In any case, I don't see what's wrong with making his outfit look more like the one you used in the game itself, since that's what you spent the most time looking at.

I'm sure you could always just swap in the default Kyle outfit if you really wanted to!

Old 10-30-2005, 04:09 PM   #503
DarkStarMojo

Quote:
what would you say is your greatest want/need right now in your mod?
Right now we need mappers who can start remapping the JK levels in JA MP. That means we need people who can not only map but have some experience with coding and scripting for multiplayer.

Quote:
But still, in SP there's a new outfit for each game (except Jedi Academy).
Yep. And reskinning the JA Kyle can do only so much. Right now we have a model that's useable for a demo, but it needs more work for an all-out release.

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Old 10-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #504
Bomberman65

Hey i was just wondering how r u going to do Gorc and his lightsaber and the kill ppl and u go to the dark side save them go to the light side??

Old 10-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #505
Guy-Gone_Weird
Rookie

Well, I'm totally frustrated. I've tried texturing Sariss several times now, but no matter what, the model just doesn't look right... I've tried Jan, Tavion, Leela Jedi, Human Female from SP, and there's always something way off. I haven't given up though.

In the mean time, are there any models or skins that you would need that arent one of the dark jedi or kyle or jan? Like maybe some of the locals of Nar Shaddaa or some enemies you fight or something. Something simpler that I can be a bit more creative on would be great. Even a droid reskin is great. And i'd need reference pics, as my JK disc just broke, and I'll be going out to get a new one on tuesday along with Ep3 and BF2.

And DarkStarMojo, do you have AIM or MSN Messenger by chance?

Old 10-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #506
DarkStarMojo

Yep. My AIM screenname is DarkStarMojo (obviously). I didn't have it set up when I joined LFN last year and I've been to busy to edit my profile. As for reskins, everything except Kyle and Yun (of course ;-) are up for grabs. I'd love to see a variety of civilian designs, specifically different clothing styles to fit the different locales. If you're having trouble with Sariss, I'd love to take a look at what you've got so far. Maybe we can collaborate on it or something.

Quote:
Hey i was just wondering how r u going to do Gorc and his lightsaber and the kill ppl and u go to the dark side save them go to the light side??
Gorc's lightsaber will just have to be bigger, is all. It shouldn't be a problem. The whole killing people and falling to the dark side thing is pretty much the same issue as the morality scale. That will have to be coded via the MP engine.

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Old 10-31-2005, 02:29 AM   #507
Bomberman65

Ah thanks for answering my question. so how far have u guys gotten.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:54 PM   #508
Guy-Gone_Weird
Rookie

Alrighty, my normal AIM name is MattTempSn0. I'll look through my attempts to determine which is closest.

And how far we've gotten? Well, I'm not in the high up ranks, but just from memory and observations, I'd say that 1 dark jedi fight is almost ready, 1 level (first level) is about 2/3 done retextured, and I actually was wondering, what happened to Shamus's map converter? Are we using the converted maps as a base to modify from, recreate from, or are we keeping some of them just the way they are with new textures?

And I agree, a small mod of Soldier for the Empire would be great. As I said, I have the radio play of it, so we can use that for cinematics and in-game stuff.

Last edited by Guy-Gone_Weird; 10-31-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 PM   #509
DarkStarMojo

The references map should be up on the website pretty soon. The page is already up. We just haven't had a chance to add anything yet. As for how we're using the reference maps, that's entirely up to the mapper if they want to edit the original source or create a totally new version. Nothing will be straight re-texturing, though.

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Old 11-03-2005, 12:58 AM   #510
sith_master2000

Has Shamus been informed of this sudden change to MP?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion I gain strength,
Through strength I gain power,
Through power I gain victory,
Through victory my chains are broken,
The force shall free me...
sith_master2000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #511
jedispy

O.k. guys. The SOTE modellers are willing to hear your modelling requests. We have two of the best modellers in the business (Minilogoguy18 & Inyri Forge.)

If you have modelling requests (perhaps an all new Sariss, rather than just a reskin) they might be the best to ask. Go to our forum and ask away.
http://www.jedispy.com/forum

Old 11-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #512
Guy-Gone_Weird
Rookie

That would be great. I can work on skins so much more easily if I don't have to worry about if the model will look right...

Old 11-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #513
SlicerDude
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_master2000
Has Shamus been informed of this sudden change to MP?
Please, when talking about MP, make sure you specify whether you're talking about the engine or the gameplay. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at recent previous posts in this thread.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #514
jedispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy-Gone_Weird
That would be great. I can work on skins so much more easily if I don't have to worry about if the model will look right...
Just go to our forum, create yourself an account, and ask away.

We may have to use your teams texturing/skinning talents as well. So we'll call it a combination of 5k!115

Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 PM   #515
Guy-Gone_Weird
Rookie

So let it be written. So let it be done.

Well if your modelers would be willing to help there, I'll just stroll on over to your site and see what you need to be skinned.................*eyes cave wampa*...

Old 11-04-2005, 09:41 AM   #516
jedispy

Cave Wampa is definitely one. I also need the SOTE Luke fixed. I tried it myself.....didn't work out too well. All I wanted to do is add his vest that he wears in SOTE. We'll discuss this more in our forums.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #517
DarkStarMojo

Excellent. Will do. Oh, and Shamus told me - don't remember if it was in the forums or email - that we'd eventually be porting to MP anyway. Better sooner than later, right?

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Old 11-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #518
jedispy

I'll give a big Hoo Ha to that!! Like I said, even if Raven decided to release SP SDK, I think we'd stay with MP SDK simply because it will take longer to learn the SP, and start over.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #519
Kurgan
Headhunter

I was reading the JK website (the official one at LucasArts) the other day and recalling the stuff about Gorc and Yun being able to throw their lightsabers at you. Ah memories... (note: those were planned features that were never implemented).

Ridable Kell Dragons anyone?

Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #520
Bomberman65

so hows things going guys

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Dark Forces Mod > Dark Forces 2 Mod