lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KotOR/TSL GUI Dialog Editor (DLGEditor) - Current Version: 2.3.2
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #121
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Glad I could help out ChAiNz.2da.
That sounds like a minor request doesn't it...
I suppose you mean copying entire branches, not just nodes?
hermmm.. methinks I have opened the proverbial "can of worms" huh? hehehe

uhmmm... yah, entire branches would be peachy.. * goes to hide under a rock and escape tk's wrath *

but Hey! No rush bro, I'll be done with my mod probably before you pull all of your hair out doing this request (if possible and you have the desire to). Just something for the "down the road" kinda thing

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #122
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
but Hey! No rush bro, I'll be done with my mod probably before you pull all of your hair out doing this request (if possible and you have the desire to). Just something for the "down the road" kinda thing

LOL, you think you can finish your mod in the next 4 hours to a day Chainz.2da? As I'm pretty sure Tk will beat you to the punch. In fact I'll fish out a package of cookies for who ever is first.

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #123
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkkender
LOL, you think you can finish your mod in the next 4 hours to a day Chainz.2da? As I'm pretty sure Tk will beat you to the punch. In fact I'll fish out a package of cookies for who ever is first.
Oh wow! I thought it would take longer than that seeing as how anytime I mention copy-n-paste something gets thrown at me, hehehe...
But if tk was to get this done in 4 hours or a day I'd gladly send you both a box of cookies

As for me, not a chance... I'm having "problems" trying to get a custom cutscene to bend to my will damn it all.. sooooo close to being done, why oh why did I want to go that extra mile?! hehehe...

Old 03-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #124
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
As much as I like cookies, those "4 hours" that are required will have to come from a timepool that's a bit farther in the future than I think you're hoping for.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #125
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
As much as I like cookies, those "4 hours" that are required will have to come from a timepool that's a bit farther in the future than I think you're hoping for.
Not a problem man, like I said.. "down the road"

hehehe.. funny enough though, the problem I was having I found the answer to.. (rather than having to start over *whew*)... so I'm all kewl & groovy

Thank you Search Function & one of Darth333's older posts

Edit tk102: Ah, yes in retrospect it is obvious that you were progressing down the same road as she -- I can see similarities in the use of the smiley.*

Edit by d3: Erm...what was that supposed to mean? Nevermind

Last edited by Darth333; 03-09-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:17 AM   #126
Joris1
Rookie

Hi, I have a question:

If I want to make a Conditional to this script:
Code:
void main()
{
    // Grab the Parameter.
    int nScriptNumber = GetScriptParameter( 1 );

// If Param = 7, then it's Mira. (Trying to make it consistent with the CNPC integers.)
    if ( nScriptNumber == 7 ) {
        AddMultiClass (CLASS_TYPE_JEDIMASTER, GetObjectByTag ("Mira") );
    }
And so on
How must I type this in the Dialog editor?

I don't understand the thinks with P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 and String Param!

"But the angel said to them: Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.", Lucas 2:10-11
Joris1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #127
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joris1
Hi, I have a question:

If I want to make a Conditional to this script:
(snip!)
int nScriptNumber = GetScriptParameter( 1 );
(snip)
I don't understand the thinks with P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 and String Param!
The numbers you can enter in the P1 -> P5 fields, and the text you an enter in the String Param field, for each script on a dialog node are values that are passed to the script. These values are then read in the script by calling a function. For reading the P# field values, the GetScriptParameter() function is used in the script, where the number between the () is the same number as the number of the P field.

For example, you get the value entered in the P1 field by calling GetScriptParameter(1) in a script.

The value of the String Param field is read using the GetScriptStringParameter() function.

So, if you check the code for a script you'll see what parameters that script makes use of, and what they are used for. In your script above, the value of the P1 field is used to determine which party member you wish to multiclass. If you set P1 to 7 when calling the script it will multiclass Mira.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #128
Joris1
Rookie

Thank you!

Is this right with the brackets if I write GetScriptParamater() in Script Param? Or withourt the brackets?

"But the angel said to them: Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.", Lucas 2:10-11

Last edited by Joris1; 03-18-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:19 PM   #129
Joris1
Rookie

I found it out!

Another question: Is it possible to cope a node from one dialog and paste it in an other dialog? I mean that I copy a node from mira.dlg and paste this in visas.dlg.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #130
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joris1
I found it out!

Another question: Is it possible to cope a node from one dialog and paste it in an other dialog? I mean that I copy a node from mira.dlg and paste this in visas.dlg.

Yes it is. The only problem would be derived from any dialogue branches that may be linked with it. However that is still relativeley easy to cleanup.

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 03-21-2006, 01:01 PM   #131
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkkender
Yes it is.
Are we using the same DLGeditor????

Copying from one dlg to another is not possible with dlgeditor.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #132
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
Are we using the same DLGeditor????

Copying from one dlg to another is not possible with dlgeditor.
It's always worked for me to copy/paste to and from the clipboard. At least for this dlgeditor. That's how I did alot of the merging for dialogues for the Holowan Plugin. I would have two instances of dlgeditor running at the same time copy a node from one and paste into the other. Now there have been issues in the past of parent and child nodes and orphans. But unless I misread some of TK's most recent fixes I believe those have been fixed.

Now KT dlgeditor has always given me issues with copying and pasting dlg nodes.

[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 03-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #133
Joris1
Rookie

Really? But than I than there must be 2 dialogeditor open? Sorry for this expression!

Old 03-21-2006, 11:05 PM   #134
tk102

DLGEditor does not use the Windows clipboard like K-GFF does. However, as long as you stay in the same DLGEditor application, you can do a Copy Node and then Open a different .dlg file and do a Paste As New. The side effect of this however, is that the references to the child nodes will probably not make sense in a differerent dialog file.

You can also highlight and copy the text of a particular node -- this operation does use the windows clipboard -- and paste it into an existing node of a different DLGEditor application.

I hope that makes sense... I'm a bit sleepy.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #135
Joris1
Rookie

Hmm, It doesn't work as you told me!

Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #136
jinger
Rookie

Quote:
…Of course, if you mean that DLGEditor has a bug with animations, it wouldn't surprise me either. If you can find a way to replicate the bug and describe it to me, that would be helpful. Feel free to post any findings you have in this thread.
happy to help! there are some animations DLGEditor is allergic to, you put them in the animation list, click on another node (and save), and when you're back on it the animation ain't there anymore, just a blank label with the actor's tag in brackets (that's not it, the animation actually won't work in-game). there sure is one i can think of, 1415_CROUCH-LONG (you know the bow the sith give you before Trayus Accademy), but there are others i think. i used this to mod the training dialog lines to make Atton and the others bow before you if you're dark (or meditate if you're light).

jinger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 02:47 PM   #137
tk102

DLGEditor v2.2.8 released

DLGEditor v2.2.8 released

v2.2.8
- Fixed bug where View Orphan + View Conditional caused Can't call method "get_field_ix_by_label" on unblessed reference (thanks Dashus)
- changed keystroke bindings: Ctrl-End and Ctrl-Delete now bound to treeview
- changed keystroke bindings: F2, F3, F4, F5, F11, F12, Ctrl-Shift-Z now bound to main window
- Fixed keystroke binding for Ctrl-Z (wasn't working)
- Fixed bug associated with TSL animations whose descriptions had '-' characters in them (thanks jinger)

Last edited by tk102; 05-11-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #138
jinger
Rookie

mmm, couldn't that evil check on the animations get spaced? i just bumped into some animations that DLGEditor don't seem to recognize and it just deletes them from the animation list. i was editing Uthar's dialog in Naga Shadow's tomb (korr_m39aakor39/utharwynn.dlg) and the "poisoned" animation got deleted on me, with KGFF i can say it's 10001 but i think there are others, like in the jedi training dialog on Dantooine when you meditate with things floating all around you (of course i'm talking about the animation for the pc, not the one for the floating book) or the handshake with Zhar when you become an apprentice.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #139
tk102

Hi jinger,
I took a look at that dialog with both KGFF and DLGEditor and couldn't find the "poisoned" animation to which you're referring. Do you know which node is supposed to be animated? (It seems that it should be Entry 89.) The only animations I find on that dialog branch are on Entry 69 (BOW, 10035) and on Entry 91 & 92 (TALK FORCEFUL, 10040).

Where are you getting the number 10001? It's true that DLGEditor does not have animation 10001 defined in it.

Edit: Oh I found it --- Entry 35. Okay, I'll add 10001 to the list. If you find specific animations that are omitted, I'll add them to the list. During my original animation search, I must have neglected to search deeper than 1 animation per dialog node...

Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #140
jinger
Rookie

i guess if you think that check is needed there is a reason, still it would be cool if any unknown animation wouldn'd be deleted from the animation list and show up as "not in list" or something like that, also it would be nice to have a box where you can put the number for any unknown animation one may find, it would also be quicker than scrolling a long list for animations you already know the code for.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #141
tk102

I hear what you're saying. Unforunately, in my bad coding practice, I made the DLGEditor more wysiwyg than it should've been. The master data gets displayed and then the contents of the user controls gets checked to see if they match the original data, if not, then it's assumed the user changed the data and (if Auto-Apply is active) the changed are applied. I think I can work around that issue, however.

I considered having the text box for the animation code, but I chose a dropdown list with drag/drop was more user friendly. I'm trying to imagine how to keep the best of both while remaining an intuitive interface for users. The fact that you can have more than one animation per node makes it more difficult to design around and there isn't a lot of "real estate" available to work with in DLGEditor as-is. At this point in the life-cycle of the program, I'd rather just add all known animations to the description list to get them handled normally, and provide UNKNOWN-10001 or whatever for unhandled animations. GFF editors can be used for forcing values.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #142
tk102

v2.2.9 released

DLGEditor v2.2.9 released

- Added ability to handle unknown animations. These will appear prefixed with "???_" followed by their animation number.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #143
Princess Artemis

Obligatory fawning: I love your DLGEditor to bits, and have made quite a few dialogs and cut scenes with it.

I do have a question though: I've never been able to get animations to work. Is there a way of finding out which animations specifically will work on the participants, or is there some specific thing I have to do first to get them to work, something in the root node?
Princess Artemis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #144
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
On the topic of animations...

Edit: Snipped stuff about animation numbers, it isn't anything to do with bugs... just me not looking closely enough to see that unique models are used for the cutscenes.

Also, a feature request: The ability to type in the animation number rather than scroll through the list. Sometimes, when you know the value, you just want to enter it; rather than scroll through hundreds of animations .

Edit tk102: That's a good idea. I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place.

Last edited by Pavlos; 09-06-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2006, 05:09 AM   #145
wrongo
Lurker

I would like to use DLGEditor v2.2.9, but when I started the program, nothing happened. I didn't see any error messages. I unzipped the archive, and copied the dialog.tlk to this directory. What I have to do to? (I didn't installed the KoTOR and/or KotOR2, I only want to edit the dialogues)

Please, somebody help me!
wrongo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2006, 05:39 AM   #146
oldflash
Veteran

Current Game: SWtOR
Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
From what I remember this great tool was suppose to be used for editing kotor and kotor2 (TSL) dialog files and I think is require some 2da files and dialog.tlk from kotor2 or kotor folder/subfolder. However, I don't see how to use this tool if you don't have kotor2 or kotor installed.
oldflash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #147
wrongo
Lurker

The KotOR2 is installed to my home computer, but I want to use DLGEditor v2.2.9 on an other PC.
I just only edit the dialog.tlk's text, but it's important to see the dialog tree. I have an dialog-tree-viewer program, but it can only for viewing, not editing.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:00 AM   #148
oldflash
Veteran

Current Game: SWtOR
Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongo
The KotOR2 is installed to my home computer, but I want to use DLGEditor v2.2.9 on an other PC.
I just only edit the dialog.tlk's text, but it's important to see the dialog tree. I have an dialog-tree-viewer program, but it can only for viewing, not editing.
I don't know if you can edit dialog.tlk with this. Have you tried TalkEd v1.0b (tlk editor)?
From What I know I think dialogEditor is for .dlg files.
oldflash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2006, 07:48 AM   #149
wrongo
Lurker

I have the TalkEd, KotorTLK, and a NWN .tlk editor, which are all works good. As I know the .dlg files refering the strings of dialog.tlk. That's why will be good the DLGEditor. But it seems to me it's not working without the installed games.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #150
Darth333
Administraterror

Here is something you can try to get dlgeditor working without the games installed:

DLGEditor creates an dlgeditor.ini in your %SYSTEMROOT% directory (C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT typically) that stores settings including the location of the dialog.tlk file for KotOR and TSL.

Open up notepad and paste the following (replacing yourpathnamehere with wherever you've put your dialog.tlk files)

Code:
[Settings]
KotOR TLK Location=C:\yourpathnamehere
TSL TLK Location=C:\yourpathnamehere
Save this in your C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT folder as dlgeditor.ini and try launching DLGEditor again. Make sure notepad doesn't accidently name the file dlgeditor.ini.txt!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #151
tk102

v2.3.0 released

v2.3.0
- Fixed bug where undoing an add of a reply to a reply or an entry to an
entry would not undo the creation of the implied entry or reply. Thanks to Dashus for this.
- Fixed bug where Edit: Delete All Orphans was not enabled right after a File: Open command (again, thanks Dashus)
- Animations can now be added without having to select from the list. They can be typed by number by right-clicking the Animation List and using the context menu. (For Pavlos)

Old 09-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #152
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Yay! A new version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #153
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Animations can now be added without having to select from the list. They can be typed by number by right-clicking the Animation List and using the context menu. (For Pavlos)
Merci beaucoup .
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #154
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Apologies in advance for being such a noob at this.

How do I use DLGEditor 2.30 to change words in a dialog entry? I want to change reply 144 and reply 145 in baodur.dlg to use the word Sentinel instead of Guardian. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like I can do that in DLGEditor itself.

I downloaded DLGEdit from pcgamemods but it crashes as soon I try to go to the replies list. I'm thinking maybe DLGEdit doesn't work with TSL .dlg files?

I can make the changes I need in KT but when I save the file it creates a bunch of orphaned entries.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #155
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutmeister
How do I use DLGEditor 2.30 to change words in a dialog entry?
I downloaded DLGEdit from pcgamemods but it crashes as soon I try to go to the replies list. I'm thinking maybe DLGEdit doesn't work with TSL .dlg files? I can make the changes I need in KT but when I save the file it creates a bunch of orphaned entries.
Never edit standard TSL DLG files with KotorTool, it will mutilate them by stripping out 75% of the data fields on all Entries and Replies that were added to the format for TSL. All script parameters will be lost, along with secondary Conditional and Action scripts, among other things. You will notice that the file size of the DLG file drops significantly if you re-save it in KT. KotorTool's dialog editor only works with KotOR1 DLG files.

As for the DLG Editor, it works to edit TSL dialogs with. To modify the text of a standard game reply, click the node in the treeview to load it into the lower panel. Then copy the existing text in the textbox, change the StrRef field above it to -1, paste the text back into the box and make your change. This makes it use an ExoLocString in the DLG file to store your modified text instead of fetching it from the dialog.tlk file like it does with standard game text.

(Keep in mind that the side effect of this is that your modified reply will not show up properly in non-English language versions of the game. You can add text for all the locales to the ExoLocString if you want, but unless you happen to know all those languages or have a dialog.tlk from each to copy/paste from that reply would be in english all of a sudden in the dialog. Though most people don't seem to bother with localizing their mods and are satisfied with making them work with the game with the English language setting.)

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 AM   #156
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutmeister
I downloaded DLGEdit from pcgamemods but it crashes as soon I try to go to the replies list. I'm thinking maybe DLGEdit doesn't work with TSL .dlg files?
This utility was the "ancestor" of DLGeditor so no, it doesn't work with TSL files. It lacks a bunch of useful features too. The latest versions of tk102's tools can only be found at swk.com. For the rest, Stoffe said it all
Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #157
roguewarrior
Lurker

Question

I'm having the same problem that Wrongo had. I am editing on a computer that doesn't have either game installed. When I start DLGEditor nothing happens. My working cursor comes up for about 2 seconds and stops. No screens or pop-ups or anything. I checked my computer for dlgeditor.ini file and found it nowhere. Is there anything I can do to get this to work.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work by creating the dlgeditor.ini file from scratch using the instructions from Darth333 above. Thanks a lot!!

Check out my new blog at
http://roguewarrior76.blogspot.com/

Last edited by roguewarrior; 02-09-2007 at 12:39 PM.
roguewarrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 AM   #158
Vox Kalam
Rookie

Anyone know how to make a certain entry fade to black at the end?
Vox Kalam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #159
tk102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Kalam
Anyone know how to make a certain entry fade to black at the end?
You'll need to attach a script to the branch using the SetGlobalFadeOut function. If you're planning on resuming the conversation, the following might work:
Code:
void main() {
  ActionPauseConversation();
  SetGlobalFadeOut(1.0, 3.0);  
  DelayCommand(4.0,SetGlobalFadeIn(2.0,2.0)); 
  DelayCommand(8.0,ActionResumeConversation());
}
You can play with numbers in that script to get the timing to your liking.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #160
Lord Revan63
Rookie

Question

sup minion lol jking...........ok im new to the mod stuff and dialoge items but haveem downloaded....but i have 3 files all made by differ editors and 1 is bastila and revan kissing(visable) and 2 is bastila says she'll b ur lover if u go to the darkside, will those b deleted together cuz i wanted a perfect romance thing with my pc and bastila

and the 3rd is bastila darkside reskin will that also conflict with the game or no

The Way Of The Sith Is Not One Who Is Strong But One Who Is Correct, Darth Revan, Lord Of War!!!
Lord Revan63 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > KotOR/TSL GUI Dialog Editor (DLGEditor) - Current Version: 2.3.2

Tags
dialog, editor, kotor modding tool